2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 10 invisible), 1,434 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1625229 02/21/11 03:28 PM
hpeterh Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Today I had the opportunity to test the Korg RH3 keyboard, which is Korgs top piano action, the same is on the Kronos 88 key model.

Repetition with half release works.
The hammer moves independently. That is, if you fix the key in place with your thumb, and apply a stroke to the key, without moving it, you get a sound.
Silent keypress works. Halfpedalling works as expected. (Had no opportunity to check the MIDI output, but because Korg builds professional arrangers I expect this to work reasonably)
Playability is good, but very disturbing is the horizontal wobble of the keys. (Be sure, if this where mine I would fix this problem).
I had also the opportunity to test a lot of acoustic pianos and was surprised, how light the touch is. Kawai,Yamaha,Seiler,a (very old) Bechstein Grand,Samick, many others and a lot of very old refurbished pianos. Surprise, surprise! The touch that I liked most was that of a Samick grand piano.
Gemerally I found that the Samick pianos have a very light and very precise action. That surprised me somewhat, because these are often turned down in critics.

If I could afford this samick grand and if I had the space for it, I would purchase it immediately ;-)
It was in their entry area and perfectly in tune and -obviously- perfectly maintained.
There is no comparison to any digital.

Finally, in comparison, I liked the touch of the Korg RH3, and found it authentic in comparison, but this wobblyness disturbed me.
I tested the Korg PA 588, no other digital, but many acoustics old models, worn out and partially out of tune and with true ivory keys and new models.
I dont want true worn out ivory ;-)

I had a lot of difficulties with my former CVP96, the keys where slippery to me, but on the acoustics I liked the plastics surface. I think, the true reason for this is, compared to acoustics, the GH Yamaha action is much too heavy for my fingers.

Best,

Peter

Last edited by hpeterh; 02/23/11 03:07 PM.

1929 Galaxy Blüthner Baby Grand
acer aspire m3300 AMD Phenom II X6

R
R
It is just my opinion but the RH3 on the SV-1 I demo'd felt like mud. Did not like it at all.

Last edited by rickshapiro; 02/21/11 03:43 PM.

Music Hack

Nord NP88,Yamaha Motif ES7, Brodmann 187 Grand,
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D

hpeterh Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I had a problem with the Korg RH3 at higher velocities.
The problem is, I am somewhat shy to trie this in the store ;-)
The other problem is: This might be caused by the sound generation or by the velocity response, I am not sure. To be sure I must return to this store with my laptop and Galaxy pianos and MIDIOX on it.... Fortunately this is only some kilometers from here, but without the internet I had never found this store...

BTW, Im not in the bussiness for a Kronos. I am truly interested in a PA 588 because I want the accompaniement and MIDI features and a proportional pedal.
If it had 3 pedals and Ivory touch and less wobbly keys I had buyed it 2 years ago but then decided otherwise...

Last edited by hpeterh; 02/21/11 06:26 PM.

S
S
FWIW,

I currently own Korg SV1 with the RH3 action and I'd have to say I'm disappointed with it.

As Dave Ferris points out, having the SoundPack2 installed does indeed make a difference, but the key wobble, clicking keys, and the generally "spongey" feel of the action makes it a less than pleasurable instrument to play. It absolutely feels like I'm playing on an action that is years behind even my Roland RD700SX.

The sounds are superb, but as much as I've tried to love the SV-1, I'm unable to because of it's action............and thus, the primary reason behind my increasing interest in the NP88 or even the NS2 once that arrives.

Nord Stage 2, VAX77
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I thought the action was ok when I tried it. Nothing special, but nothing to brag about either. I think Korg would do well to replace it. I even prefer the action of my NP88 over the RH3 action.

Siriosys, I think you could sell your RD-700SX and SV-1, and get the NS2.

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
S
S
PianoZac,

You're thinking is heading exactly where mine has gone! However, I'm beginning to think that I too, have embarked on what would be an expensive exercise of "upgrading". I'm currently playing my SV1 using my RD700SX's keyboard.

So for me, it's going to come down to whether or not the NP88 or NS2 keyboard is an improvement over my 5+ year old RD700SX's. And that's kinda going to be my sticking point...

Nord Stage 2, VAX77
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It's a sign Dave, the NP88 is in your future. wink

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
Could very well be Zac, but like a ton of other guys, just waiting to play this Kronos and see if it delivers the goods. Get here already...........

Yeah I'm curious to see how the Kronos sounds and plays. I would never buy one (just don't need that much), but I'll be curious to hear the samples. So far, from the videos I've seen, I've not been particularly impressed with the sounds. Could just be poorly done videos.

hpeterh Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
For those interested, the Korg RH3 action model is shown here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHsE6SsAA7A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHsE6SsAA7A

J
J
So.... I have owned many keyboards. My most recent aquisition has been a Korg Kronos 2 73 key with the RH3 action.

I have to say that I agree with you guys about the action. I didn't love it. However, I decided to take on a 'mod' project with it. I opened up the keyboard and took the action out (p.s. I did this with my Roland FP-60 too, btw). I then took every key off and decided to shave off some of the metal off of each key hammer. With a reciprocating saw and a vice grip, I took off about 3-6g per key (more on the lower ones, less on the upper ones because they're graded).

While the result isn't perfect, I'm definitely happier with the feel of the action.

The next thing I'm considering is replacing the felt strips with higher quality ones. It feels to me like when the key stops, it's a bit too abrupt. So maybe having better felt would help make it feel more like a real piano action. Not sure about this....

Dan Z
A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by jazzydanz
I then took every key off and decided to shave off some of the metal off of each key hammer.

My concern would be that lowering weight would make the key feel lighter to play (which I'm guessing was your intent), but could also slow the speed of the key's return travel (which could make it feel more sluggish). Did you experience anything like that?

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,193
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission