Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1629258 - 02/27/11 01:40 PM Best Piano Course???? (NOT DVD)
KB7 Offline

Loc: Banned Permanently
Hello,everyone

What is the best piano course? I mean like a set of books;not a dvd series...What would be the best piano course for classical piano? I know how to play classical pieces like the 1st mvt. of Moonlight sonata and Rondo alla turca etc.,but I really want to be able to play pieces like Fantasie Impromptu Op. 66 (I know that wil take a while and a LOT of practice to learn it). So,are there any really good piano courses out there that train you classically? I want a very,very thorough coarse...But,I do know that it will take a lot of practice.

One thing I do know is that I do not want a teacher...
I absolutely LOVE to practice the piano and I ussually practice for 7 hours a day (I'm not kidding).
I'm not soft on myself,either...When I go to practice I go to practice. So,what would be the BEST piano course in book form?

BTW,I am self taught and I have only been playing for about 10 months.

Thanks

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1629267 - 02/27/11 01:53 PM Re: Best Piano Course???? (NOT DVD) [Re: KB7]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
KB7 :

One may admire your dedication - 7 hours per day? - but there are some fallacies in your approach.

First, no course that I know of can "teach" anyone "how" to play the piano. Lists of pointers, pages of advice may be all well and good, but the text can't tell you if you are doing it right or not.

Secondly, seven hours a day practicing can be totally wasted time
- if you don't know what you are doing
- if you don't know whether or not what you are doing is right
- if you lose total concentration after the first hour or two
- if you don't have a program of study
- if you are practicing bad habits without knowing that they are bad

Serious and/or dedicated piano students rarely practice that much and most of them are under the guidance of a teacher. Only someone who knows how to develop technical and musical skills can tell you what you are doing right, what you are doing wrong, and how to correct potentially bad habits. No text is going to tell you that because no text can give you feedback on what you are doing.

You say that you know that you don't want a teacher. Why is that? It sounds, on the surface, at least, somewhat arrogant.

Regards,
Writing from Paris until 15 May, 2014

#1629274 - 02/27/11 01:58 PM Re: Best Piano Course???? (NOT DVD) [Re: KB7]
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: chicago, il
(better check to be sure KB7's brother didn't hijack his account again)

#1629276 - 02/27/11 01:59 PM Re: Best Piano Course???? (NOT DVD) [Re: KB7]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
Gosh. Yet another timbit that feels he's more intelligent than any teacher could possibly ever be. It's really not that difficult after all is it? You just hit the right notes at the right time and VOILA!
I'll be back later...I'm heading to Border's to pick up a book on flying. I'll be damned if I'm going to give my money to a flight instructor.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1629299 - 02/27/11 02:27 PM Re: Best Piano Course???? (NOT DVD) [Re: KB7]
KB7 Offline

A lot of sarcasm on here,isn't there?

#1629302 - 02/27/11 02:30 PM Re: Best Piano Course???? (NOT DVD) [Re: KB7]
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Beautiful San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By: KB7
You said it friend. And a lot of bitter piano teachers. Ignore them and do it your way. smile

#1629306 - 02/27/11 02:34 PM Re: Best Piano Course???? (NOT DVD) [Re: KB7]
BruceD Offline

There was no sarcasm intended in my post. I'm chagrined if you read it that way.

Regards,

#1629308 - 02/27/11 02:35 PM Re: Best Piano Course???? (NOT DVD) [Re: BruceD]
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Beautiful San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By: BruceD
You say that you know that you don't want a teacher. Why is that? It sounds, on the surface, at least, somewhat arrogant.

Believe it or not, not everyone wants or needs a teacher. The arrogance is assuming everyone does.

#1629322 - 02/27/11 02:42 PM Re: Best Piano Course???? (NOT DVD) [Re: eweiss]
BruceD Offline

Originally Posted By: eweiss

Believe it or not, not everyone wants or needs a teacher. The arrogance is assuming everyone does.

I don't assume that everyone needs a teacher. I suggested that the OP might do well to have one, given the length of time he has been self-taught, given the repertoire he has played, and the aspirations he has for more difficult repertoire.

#1629326 - 02/27/11 02:45 PM Re: Best Piano Course???? (NOT DVD) [Re: KB7]
carey Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona

Per Bruce...."First, no course that I know of can "teach" anyone "how" to play the piano. Lists of pointers, pages of advice may be all well and good, but the text can't tell you if you are doing it right or not." "Serious and/or dedicated piano students rarely practice that much and most of them are under the guidance of a teacher. Only someone who knows how to develop technical and musical skills can tell you what you are doing right, what you are doing wrong, and how to correct potentially bad habits. No text is going to tell you that because no text can give you feedback on what you are doing."

KB7 - The above is excellent advice. Don't waste your time trying to teach yourself. And FYI - Stores makes his living as a piano teacher - not a flight instructor.

#1629338 - 02/27/11 02:52 PM Re: Best Piano Course???? (NOT DVD) [Re: eweiss]
carey Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: eweiss

Eweiss - If someone is really SERIOUS about playing CLASSICAL repertoire well - they need the guidance of a good teacher - particularly during their formative years. If that is "arrogance" - so be it.

#1629340 - 02/27/11 02:54 PM Re: Best Piano Course???? (NOT DVD) [Re: KB7]
KB7 Offline

Thank you so much,eweiss!

That's okay,BruceD. I have to say though,that I *do* know what I'm doing and I never get bored. The only reason I was asking for another course is because I have all of the Adult Alfred piano books and numerous other books on the subject but I have yet to find one that I really like and one that is very good.

Remember,anyone can put whatever they want in a book,but just as it is a gift to be a talnted pianist it is in my opinion an equal gift to be a wonderfully talented teacher. For instance,when I was living in Tennssee I went to look for a teacher and I came across one that lived close by. I went to her house to play for her and ask some questions. I asked her very kindly to play Fur Elise and she said quite abruptly,"No".

One day after I went to her house my father called another teacher and I talked to her on the phone. She told me that when you look for a teacher,quote,"It is NOT a one-way street...I think she would've been an excellent teacher,but it was her old phone number my father had called and she had moved to NH.

I like what Yundi Li said. quote,"The fingers follow the heart". He nailed it on the head when he said that.

**Just another thing I have to add***

I apologized for posting those dumb posts but we all do make mistakes. Furtermore,there are some very smug and sarcastic members on this forum. And BruceD,when I said there was a lot of sarcasm on this forum,I did not mean you. I meant stores and etheno or whatever his name is.

Edited by KB7 (02/27/11 02:58 PM)

#1629353 - 02/27/11 03:06 PM Re: Best Piano Course???? (NOT DVD) [Re: KB7]
KB7 Offline

carey,it is not arrogance because I don't want a teacher. Very shortly I *will* be playing pieces such as Fantasie Impromptu,3rd mvt. of Moonlight sonata and the Hungarian Rhapsody no. 2.

My heart is in it so it has no choice but to happen.

It's not a Fantasie,it's a fact...

#1629363 - 02/27/11 03:20 PM Re: Best Piano Course???? (NOT DVD) [Re: KB7]
Jacob777 Offline

carey,it is not arrogance because I don't want a teacher. Very shortly I *will* be playing pieces such as Fantasie Impromptu,3rd mvt. of Moonlight sonata and the Hungarian Rhapsody no. 2.

My heart is in it so it has no choice but to happen.

It's not a Fantasie,it's a fact...

It may be different for you, but one of the major lessons I have learned from the piano thus far is NOT to push things, and that, unlike in many other areas in life, the will can be a vice that can lead to physical tension and lack of musicality in playing.

For more on that subject William Westney's "The Perfect Wrong Note" is an excellent read.

Edited by Jacob777 (02/27/11 03:29 PM)

#1629365 - 02/27/11 03:22 PM Re: Best Piano Course???? (NOT DVD) [Re: KB7]
carey Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

KB7 - I understand and appreciate your enthusiasm - but it takes more than "heart" to play the piano well. grin Nevertheless, give these pieces your best shot for now and see how you do.

#1629396 - 02/27/11 04:30 PM Re: Best Piano Course???? (NOT DVD) [Re: KB7]
DameMyra Online   happy
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Jersey
One thing a good teacher can do for you is help prevent you from injuring yourself. Things you might not notice like, how high your wrist is or if you are holding any tension in your hand, can cause serious injury and result in your not being able to play at all.
Managing Director, Northern Lights Music Festival

#1629417 - 02/27/11 05:08 PM Re: Best Piano Course???? (NOT DVD) [Re: KB7]
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: chicago, il
**Just another thing I have to add***

I apologized for posting those dumb posts but we all do make mistakes. Furtermore,there are some very smug and sarcastic members on this forum. And BruceD,when I said there was a lot of sarcasm on this forum,I did not mean you. I meant stores and etheno or whatever his name is.

if memory serves, KB7, wasn't it your brother who got into your account here and took the mickey out of many of these well-meaning members? considering past history and the bent of your post i was simply reminding folks to keep their guards up... hardly smug or sarcastic.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
152 registered (accordeur, Adam Coleman, 36251, A Guy, 45 invisible), 1692 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74248 Members
42 Forums
153578 Topics
2250824 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
This day, last year...
by TwoSnowflakes
1 minute 37 seconds ago
the government and tuning.
by kc_lee
45 minutes 24 seconds ago
Midi controller with a good keybed under 1000$
by Ov3rload
Today at 11:55 AM
Bsendorfer vs Steingraeber
by Keith D Kerman
Today at 11:51 AM
Keyboard stand
by david_ka
Today at 09:42 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission