Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#1209009 - 05/31/09 01:44 AM Re: Hailun, anyone? [Re: Vigelic]
Vigelic Offline

Loc: singapore
and i'm in singapore, from the same place as wzkit and TTT, looking at the same shop that has Hailun and W&L side by side.

Any help please?

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1209019 - 05/31/09 02:45 AM Re: Hailun, anyone? [Re: Vigelic]
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: torrance, CA
Vigelic,

This is a really old thread. It brings back memories. I doubt if Wzkit ever bought one, but I think you should send him a PM to get his advice. It's probably a good idea to check into the Adult Beginner in Singapore thread as well. You'll get lots of local opinions from folks like Wzkit, Digitus, and Snoopycar.. Ask what people in Singapore think of the pianos and the dealer who sells them. Here's a link.

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/82991/2.html

Hailun has been well-received in the US market. We also have a few W&L dealers now as well. The piano make a very strong first impression. But it's more important for you to get a sense of how the pianos are holding up in your climate and how the dealer's prep and service has been.

If I were you, I would ask the dealer for a referral to one or more of his customers who bought a Hailun-built piano two or three years ago. If you could make arrangements to compare one that's been in the field for that amount of time to one in the showroom, it would be helpful. If that checks out and you like the tone and touch, why not?

#1210112 - 06/02/09 12:23 AM Re: Hailun, anyone? [Re: turandot]
Vigelic Offline

alright, i've gone ahead with the purchase of a hailun 125 (HL 125). they'll install a heater for me.

what's the heater for? =\

i hope i dont regret this =\

#1210125 - 06/02/09 01:06 AM Re: Hailun, anyone? [Re: Vigelic]
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: torrance, CA
Now wait a minute, Vigelic! I told you to check out how they were holding up in your climate and to get local opinions of the piano and the dealer. I didn't tell you to buy one! grin

Anyway, congratulations. I don't think what you bought is really a heater. It's probably something to keep the moisture content of the structural wood stable.

#1210141 - 06/02/09 02:04 AM Re: Hailun, anyone? [Re: Vigelic]
Digitus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Singapore
Originally Posted By: Vigelic
alright, i've gone ahead with the purchase of a hailun 125 (HL 125). they'll install a heater for me.

what's the heater for? =\

i hope i dont regret this =\

Hi Vigelic,

The heater bar dehumidifies the interior of the case to prevent action parts from swelling and seizing. If the piano is going to be located in a non-air-conditioned room you must leave that heater bar on 24x7. If you live in a particularly humid part of Singapore then you really should consider locating the piano in a room that can be air-conditioned as and when needed. The keys are outside the case and can absorb too much moisture from overly humid environments. If they swell too much they will stick.

If the piano is located in a room for which you can keep the RH between 40% to 60% (on average) then you must not turn on the heater bar!

Coincidentally I was in the Hailun dealer's showroom in Singapore last week. I played two HL125's -- the one in the showroom and one fresh out of the crate in their warehouse/workshop a few doors down from the showroom.

The HL125 on the showroom floor was out of tune and out of regulation. The touch was uneven, with some keys having a lot of resistance before let-off. Overall the action felt sluggish and spongy. I asked why this is so and I was told that "they all become like that after a few years". Oh dear. Not a good answer. Why can't they just say that they haven't bothered to tune and regulate their showroom unit properly?

The HL125 fresh out of the crate was a different proposition. It is clear that the action was designed to have a somewhat meaty feel, which I like personally.

Tonally the HL125 was not bad, particularly for an instrument that costs SGD3,600. You obviously don't get the last word in quality finishing. For example, the sides of the keys really could have done with some sanding after having been cut apart.

I think that with decent prep work by a competent tech the HL125 could be a good performer in that price range. The question is whether the prep work will be done at all, in order to get the HL125 performing at its best. Although the piano seems to be in OK shape fresh out of the crate it really needs prep before delivery. But most piano dealers in Singapore don't, even for pianos costing a lot more.

#1210714 - 06/02/09 11:34 PM Re: Hailun, anyone? [Re: Digitus]
Vigelic Offline

lols. i'm guessing the one a few doors down should be mine..? i've taken note of that serial number anyway so ya...

so.. do i switch the heater off everytime that i wanna switch on the air con?

and hmm.. i agree with you that the one in the room a few doors down felt wayyyy better than the one on the showroom floor.. and he says he will be delivering that one to me anyway so it should be ok i guess?

not too sure about what's gonna happen a few years down.. i'm just crossing my fingers and hoping for the best?

#1210734 - 06/03/09 12:07 AM Re: Hailun, anyone? [Re: Vigelic]
Digitus Offline
500 Post Club Member

I guess it depends on how often you use the air-con. If you can keep the RH in the room between 40-60% all day long you won't have to use the heater bar at all. My Sauter Omega is located in my living room. The air-con is turned on as and when needed for personal comfort or when the RH in the room creeps up towards the mid-60's. There are no heater bars installed in the piano, and there never will be if I can avoid it. One thing: if the volume of the room is large and the doors and windows are never open for long, it is is MUCH easier to maintain RH within safe levels than in a small room. For example, it is very easy for me to keep the RH down to safe levels, whereas Wzkit has his Sauter Delta in his bedroom (in an HDB flat) and he has his air-con AND dehumidifier turned on 24x7 and still struggles to keep the RH down to about 60%.

As for your coming HL125, I could be wrong, but my guess is that the only prep that Piano Master will do on your piano is to tune it and wipe it down. The factory regulation and voicing should be OK to start with, at least for the initial 1+ year settling in period. But after that you may want to pay the $ to do a complete regulation and voicing. Or you can try one or two other independent techs (PM me or Wzkit for suggestions when you need one). These same resources can be used to help look after the piano down the road, so don't worry about the future.

Of course, only you can decide whether or not to pay money to wring the last ounce of performance out of what is at the bottom line a fairly inexpensive piano.

One last thing about RH and pianos in Singapore. The RH can vary tremendously across Singapore. Some areas are very humid all year round. Even so-called 'tropicalised' pianos will not survive RH that stays high all year round (where 'high' depends on the piano). Don't listen to people who say that just leaving the heater bar on 24x7 will do, because it really depends on where you live and how much control you have over the piano's micro-climate. Having said that, pianos are also surprisingly hardy things. Even Fazioli is happy to honour its warranty if the piano is located in a 70%RH environment and fitted with a Dampp-Chaser or equivalent.

Enjoy your new piano! smile

#1211024 - 06/03/09 12:27 PM Re: Hailun, anyone? [Re: Digitus]
Mr_Walkaway Offline

Loc: Triad of NC
The local Yamaha dealer keeps some of the Hailun grands in stock, and if the verticals are anywhere near the quality of the grands, then it should end up being a great piano for you. My wife and I have actually seriously considered one of the 178's now for a couple years, and even thought about a 198. I wouldn't say they're as good as a Yamaha or Kawai, but after those two (and out of what I've played), Hailuns seem to be about the best thing coming out of Asia right now.

#1212294 - 06/05/09 02:18 PM Re: Hailun, anyone? [Re: Mr_Walkaway]
Vigelic Offline

I've uploaded my pics on the other thread at http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1211503 ... lols.

#1716769 - 07/19/11 09:49 PM Re: Hailun, anyone? [Re: turandot]
froufrou06 Offline

Hey guys...I've been a lurking on these forums for the longest time but have finally decided to sign up as a user cos there are some burning questions I really wanted to ask some of you, especially people like Wzkit/Digitus/Snoopycar. Some of them have already probably been done to death before but I hope you don't mind me asking again ( if I can say, for the love of music lol!).

Btw, I'm from Singapore too. smile

Just a bit of background on myself, I picked up piano again recently (i passed my grade 8 long ago when i was in my late teens but stopped due to uni studies and work) but started learning again(it's weird one starts to appreciate classical music again with age!) with a view to taking my diploma in a couple of years time. I am playing on a 20+ yr old Schimmel upright but it's always been my lifelong ambition to own and play on a grand.

So I've been looking around for a grand piano around the range of 30+k at the usual places like Robert, Chiu, Emmanuel, Yamaha, Piano Master....I was initially thinking of getting a 2nd hand but after a long deliberation, I think a budget of 30+k for a brand new one that would probably last me for the rest of my life doesn't seem like such a bad idea. I was initially keen to get the C3 but there's just something about the plasticky keys of a Yamaha and the bright tone that didn't really move me. The rest that i've tried are Kawai, Boston, Schimmel, Bosie(which Yamaha had a few months back in their showroom, just for kicks), Hailun, W&L and Grotrian.

Amongst these, there is something really special about the singing tone of the Grotrian 192 that connected with me and I have to say that it's probably the one I liked the most out of all of them....only thing is that the price is about 2x of my budget! The Hailun had a rather nice sound and touch too and for its price, I have to say it's quite a steal but then again, I don't know what's the shelf-life of a china piano, especially in a country like ours. I wanted to try the Petrof which was probably the closest to my budget(it's about the same price as a Yamaha C3) but unfortunately they didn't have it in the showroom. My own experience with Petrof is my cousin's one whose piano is just falling apart and I didn't have a great impression of the brand despite its Czech roots. I've also read on a couple of forums that the new pianos are better but then again, some technicians have said that they're still awful pianos (and we're talking about pianos circa 2001 here).

Oh yes, I remember trying out an Ibach a long time ago when Singapore Piano was in existence... that was another fantastic piano with a beautiful singing tone. Too bad they don't distribute anymore. frown

Alrite, I'm about done with my grandmother story...It'd be great if anyone could share their experience with me...thanks! smile

#1717019 - 07/20/11 05:47 AM Re: Hailun, anyone? [Re: turandot]
fj_s Offline

At that price level (30+k) you could consider the following:

a. The Shigeru Kawai (SK2) at Robert Piano? That one's pretty nice. Did you also try the Wilh steinberg in Chiu Piano? Cheaper than Schimmel, and deeper sounding.

b. Bohemia at Gramercy in tanjong katong (but the pianos don't seem as well prepped there)

c. A sauter upright, which is very nice and very pretty, and allows you to do the rapid repeated notes in La campanella or similar pieces with ease. I'm not sure where Alvin is located nowadays.

d. A used grand piano say from Asia Piano or Emmanuel. (Emmanuel also has a Fazioli and Estonia in the past, but none to try at the moment I think.)

e. Recently a shop called Pristine Piano also started selling restored Steinways that you might want to take a look at.

Separately perhaps the mod could move these two queries (which are not about Hailun per se) to the Singapore thread and further boost its page count.

Mozart: Sonata in D Major, k576
Chopin: Polonaise in A-flat major, Op 53
Berg: Sonata in B minor, Op 1
Bach: Partita in C Minor, BWV 826

#1832138 - 01/26/12 08:21 AM Re: Hailun, anyone? [Re: turandot]
Lucida Offline

I bought a new Hailun piano 6 months ago.. the HL125 model I supppose.. not sure.. the height is 125cm. I'm not an expert in playing piano. Bought it mainly for my son who just started playing piano. Myself I dun even have a grade 1 in piano but i'm learning together with my son.

I can say that I'm very disappointed with this piano.. even though i am an amateur. Reason why I'm disappointed is the the piano keys have this "clock" "clock" feel and sound particularly when i play the keys on the RHS. the middle section also have this effect but not as bad as the RHS keys. Can this be fixed with proper tuning?

Now thinking about it, I should have forked out more money to pay for a better quality piano... Not sure if I should try to sell away the piano or just use it for the time being until when my son is really interested in piano

Any advise? Keep or return to the piano shop for half the price... I used it for only 6months..:~

#1832151 - 01/26/12 08:52 AM Re: Hailun, anyone? [Re: turandot]
Rotom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Welcome to the forums, Lucida! I'm sorry you are having problems with your Hailun. My advice is to get a better technician who knows how to adress your problems. It seems the piano has not been prepped (action regulated in this case) properly. Properly adjusted piano actions should not be producing "clock clock" sounds in any way or fashion. I have played Hailun uprights, and i have not seen or heard problems like you describe.

Edit: contact your dealer and tell tham about it; pianos should not have any problems like you describe.

Best of luck!

Edited by Rotom (01/27/12 06:49 AM)
Edit Reason: What to do;

#1832195 - 01/26/12 10:02 AM Re: Hailun, anyone? [Re: turandot]
Guapo Gabacho Offline

Loc: Rio Grande Valley of Texas
I would slam the dealer before the brand.

#1832770 - 01/27/12 05:51 AM Re: Hailun, anyone? [Re: Guapo Gabacho]
Rich Galassini Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
Originally Posted By: Guapo Gabacho
I would slam the dealer before the brand.

Lucida,

This is not a brand issue, but a piano issue. If you have shared this with your dealer and they have not sent someone out to correct it, shame on them. If you can get no satisfaction from your dealer, then get in touch with Hailun directly through their website.

Keep us posted,
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Get Cunningham Piano Email Updates

#1832835 - 01/27/12 09:37 AM Re: Hailun, anyone? [Re: Lucida]
johnlewisgrant Online   content

Loc: canada
Before purchasing my Hailun 218 I played one Hailun upright, simply because it happened to be in the room! I can fully appreciate why you might have fallen for the instrument: the one I played had an absolutely beautiful tone.

Usually issues with touch are not difficult to address, at least in my experience. I wouldn't let go of the piano, because it is very unlikely you'll find anything in the same price range with remotely as beautiful a tone.

Recently purchased pianos SHOULD come with some kind of warranty; so try to have the action dealt with!!!

JG

#1834761 - 01/30/12 04:42 AM Re: Hailun, anyone? [Re: johnlewisgrant]
Lucida Offline

I contacted the dealer and he say he will send someone to check the piano this Friday. Hope that the problem will be fixed. Will update again on my experience

#1834888 - 01/30/12 11:07 AM Re: Hailun, anyone? [Re: turandot]
Rich Galassini Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
Please do keep us posted, Lucida.
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Get Cunningham Piano Email Updates

#1835057 - 01/30/12 02:55 PM Re: Hailun, anyone? [Re: turandot]
KBS Offline

Loc: USA
Hi Lucida,
I just came from a shop that had some Hailuns and loved how they felt & sounded! I was amazed, though, at how different they were from each other! (have to say that I also tried out the Petrofs, a Kawai, a vertical Steinway, along with others...). My head is spinning with the possibilities now, as when I left my home this morning, I really didn't think I'd be able to hear or feel the differences that everyone writes about...

I am sorry to hear that you've been having a problem with your piano, I hope that it is easily resolved by the tech visit. I am in an evaluative stage and now want to try many pianos before making the final purchase. Reading posts, (along with the comments of the pros who populate these forums), are very helpful to learn of issues, as well as resolutions, that others are encountering. Please do post with an update!

Edited by KBS (01/30/12 04:42 PM)
Edit Reason: Correct some spelling

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
124 registered (AndrewAJC, AmateurBob, 36251, A Flat Minor, 38 invisible), 1526 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75385 Members
42 Forums
155847 Topics
2288502 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Axus DPs?
by LarryShone
07/14/14 07:50 AM
Single: Every Moment With You (Orchestra Version)
by Darkreach
07/14/14 07:04 AM
Heal The World - Michael Jackson Piano
by Phuc Pham
07/14/14 05:00 AM
Lorin Maazel (1930-2014)
by bennevis
07/14/14 05:00 AM
Yamaha P105 or Yamaha S80 ???
by musicmad
07/14/14 04:53 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission