Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1631224 - 03/02/11 06:45 AM Best way towards Einaudi?
oudeis Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
I just listened to cgyan's Einaudi piece in this months Piano Bar, and I'd love to be able to play that kind of music.

My teacher teaches (almost) exclusively classical, which I really like. But I'd like to get to a point where I can play Einaudi's pieces as well. These pieces would fall in my category of 'for fun' pieces, which I practice alongside my assigned pieces.

What would be the best way to start with Einaudi and the likes? Any particular exercises, or a specific skill set one should develop before tackling a specific piece?

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1631228 - 03/02/11 06:50 AM Re: Best way towards Einaudi? [Re: oudeis]
Bunneh Offline

Loc: Berlin
I'm not an expert, but Einaudi's music has lots of repeats of arpeggios and similar figures inherent in his music. So I'd say dive right in, pick an easier piece and get to work smile

I don't think it makes much sense to start doing arpeggio studies in C,D,G,F etc only to find out your favorite piece has endless arpeggios in Ab and Eb, which you could've practiced as part of your learning process anyway.

2 years of study with a teacher should be plenty experience to get started on Einaudi. Crucial techniques are clean pedalling and arpeggios, at least. There's a huge thread around that can give you some recommendations for starting pieces. And there's Monica, who's way more knowledgeable about all things Einaudi than me wink

#1631231 - 03/02/11 07:04 AM Re: Best way towards Einaudi? [Re: oudeis]
oudeis Offline

Thanks Bunneh,

Up until now, most of the stuff I have played did not use pedal, so that's an area that will need work. Good to see the arpeggios, Solfeggietto which I'm currently practicing fits right in. My teacher doesn't stress scale and arpeggio studies as exercises of themselves, mostly I encounter these in etudes. Scales are something I do myself, after I was assigned some scales to practice a few weak spots (one hand dotted 8th + 16th, other hand quarter notes). So all in all I should be on the right track. Hopefully my teacher will support me as well (no doubt about it).

#1631236 - 03/02/11 07:24 AM Re: Best way towards Einaudi? [Re: Bunneh]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisboa, Portugal
Originally Posted By: Bunneh
(...)So I'd say dive right in, pick an easier piece and get to work smile

Yes, that's the way.
I think every piece of Einaudi has something different to learn. I don't have a teacher and I've already sended two recordings for the recital with Einaudi music (check the link in my signature). I can say that with the (little) experience I have I didn't found it difficult.

edit: Beware of pedal works. It realy makes difference.

Edited by CarlosCC (03/02/11 10:59 AM)

CarlosCC records
Self-learning since 12/2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

.:: Visit the 'European Piano Party 2014 - EPP2014' thread ::.

#1631330 - 03/02/11 10:47 AM Re: Best way towards Einaudi? [Re: oudeis]
achat Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Rome, Italy
Hi Oudeis,

strange to me to hear in two years of lessons you didn't learn to play with the pedal. I have started playing in Sept. 2010 because of Einaudi pieces, and I just did it by myself. I learnt to use the pedal in a couple of weeks, and I was able to play almost entirely "Giorni dispari" just by practicing in November.

I think with 2 years of lessons you should be able to learn it (or any other mid-leve Einaudi piece) in few days. As for the pedal, it is just an automatic thing. So automatic that now when I listen to a piano piece at my desk, sometimes my foot starts doing what it would do at the piano pedal independently of my brain smile

A.

Originally Posted By: oudeis
Thanks Bunneh,

Up until now, most of the stuff I have played did not use pedal, so that's an area that will need work. Good to see the arpeggios, Solfeggietto which I'm currently practicing fits right in. My teacher doesn't stress scale and arpeggio studies as exercises of themselves, mostly I encounter these in etudes. Scales are something I do myself, after I was assigned some scales to practice a few weak spots (one hand dotted 8th + 16th, other hand quarter notes). So all in all I should be on the right track. Hopefully my teacher will support me as well (no doubt about it).

#1631347 - 03/02/11 11:26 AM Re: Best way towards Einaudi? [Re: oudeis]
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Beautiful San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By: oudeis
What would be the best way to start with Einaudi and the likes? Any particular exercises, or a specific skill set one should develop before tackling a specific piece?

Two routes for this goal ... have your classical piano teacher help you with Einaudi or learn how to play chords and actually understand what Einaudi is doing - a much quicker way! smile

#1631393 - 03/02/11 12:35 PM Re: Best way towards Einaudi? [Re: oudeis]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Hi Oudeis, I'm absolutely delighted to see another Einaudi fan! I agree 100% with the others: You almost certainly already have the skills necessary to dive right in and start playing right now.

I recommend you buy the "Best of Einaudi: Piano Solos" sheet music collection (amazon US sells it for only $23). It has a huge number of pieces, and some of the easier pieces, in it. Start with "Limbo" or "I due fiumi." One of the things you will discover as you progress is that Einaudi repeats certain right-hand arpeggio and left-hand bass patterns in many of his pieces, so once you learn one piece, it can be easy to generalize to others.

But you've got to use the pedal, otherwise it will sound very sterile and, well, Just Not Good. With Einaudi, I pedal on chord changes almost always.

There is a big Einaudi mega-thread that seems to have fallen off the first page of topics, but you can find a link to it in the "Important Topics for AB Forum" thread stickied at the top of the page. It will take you a long time to read, but there are all sorts of helpful discussion in there including various people's attempted rank ordering of difficulty of the pieces, and lots of links to various YouTube clips.

Have fun! I don't think I will ever tire of Einaudi. Somewhat more depressingly, I may not be able to learn everything he ever wrote.

#1631406 - 03/02/11 12:57 PM Re: Best way towards Einaudi? [Re: oudeis]
oudeis Offline

Thank you for all your comments!

@eweiss; I think there is a third way: let my teacher help me with chords and understanding what Einaudi is doing. We're currently working on chord progressions/cadences and some simple modulation techniques using these cadences, so I guess that forms the basis of the required understanding. I think my teacher will be very happy to help with that.

@Monica; I'll take a look at the thread you mentioned. I've seen it before, but never read it. And 'Best of Einaudi' is on its way wink

#1632674 - 03/03/11 04:57 PM Re: Best way towards Einaudi? [Re: oudeis]
John_In_Montreal Offline

Loc: Montreal Canada
I discovered Einaudi's work just a few weeks ago. Very nice music smile Favourite piece that I would like to play eventually: Nuvole Bianche. I hope it is not too hard for a beginner. Does anyone know if there sheet music for this piece ?

Thanks

John

#1632701 - 03/03/11 05:19 PM Re: Best way towards Einaudi? [Re: oudeis]
Monica K. Offline

Yup! It's in the Una Mattina collection, but you may be able to purchase a digital copy of just that one piece to download (depending on what site you buy it from and where you're located).

The Una Mattina book is a nice one to own, too. I've played several pieces from it, and they're not quite as hard as what you'll find in Divenire and Nightbook.

Most of Nuvole Bianche is not that bad, and it basically repeats, but there's one section that will give you some real hand independence practice.

#1632753 - 03/03/11 06:25 PM Re: Best way towards Einaudi? [Re: John_In_Montreal]
achat Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Rome, Italy
ah, that's one of my favourite too!
try here:

http://www.sheetzbox.com/piano/sheets/5365/Ludovico_Einaudi-Nuvole_Bianche_PianoScores.html

A.

Originally Posted By: John_In_Montreal
I discovered Einaudi's work just a few weeks ago. Very nice music smile Favourite piece that I would like to play eventually: Nuvole Bianche. I hope it is not too hard for a beginner. Does anyone know if there sheet music for this piece ?

Thanks

John

#1632755 - 03/03/11 06:29 PM Re: Best way towards Einaudi? [Re: Monica K.]
John_In_Montreal Offline

Originally Posted By: Monica K.
Yup! It's in the Una Mattina collection, but you may be able to purchase a digital copy of just that one piece to download (depending on what site you buy it from and where you're located).

The Una Mattina book is a nice one to own, too. I've played several pieces from it, and they're not quite as hard as what you'll find in Divenire and Nightbook.

Most of Nuvole Bianche is not that bad, and it basically repeats, but there's one section that will give you some real hand independence practice.

Great! Thanks Monica smile Yes, the piece has a lot of repeats and that's why I thought it might be a good beginner piece. It would also make a nice transcribing project because it does not seem too complex. I've already figured out many measures on my keyboard. It would also be good practice to get used to Finale 2011 software.

John

#1632756 - 03/03/11 06:30 PM Re: Best way towards Einaudi? [Re: achat]
John_In_Montreal Offline

Originally Posted By: ashat
ah, that's one of my favourite too!
try here:

http://www.sheetzbox.com/piano/sheets/5365/Ludovico_Einaudi-Nuvole_Bianche_PianoScores.html

A.

Originally Posted By: John_In_Montreal

Thanks

John

Thank you Ashat, I'm over there at the moment.

J

#1642035 - 03/16/11 06:49 AM Re: Best way towards Einaudi? [Re: oudeis]
Khendon Offline

Loc: UK
Hey guys,

I have a question in a similar vein, and have mentioned it over in the Alfred's thread, but thought I'd ask here as it seems more relevant.

I have been playing for only one month ( just under).

I am working my way slowly through Alfred's Level One.

So I am VERY new at this. Spending a fair bit of time practicing, trying to make sure my posture and everything is correct as well as learning the Alfred's pieces. ( I even setup a web cam to video myself playing so i could check my own posture etc against some of the better players I've seen on YouTube and this site.) A teacher is not currently feasable for me. When I do get one they will need to be very flexible on time scales, as I travel a fair bit for a living, with no set schedules.

So back on topic, my inspiration for finally purchasing a Piano and trying seriously to learn the instrument has been the music of Einaudi. IT is stunning, and I can listen to it anywhere. When travelling, stuck on a cramped plane for 9 hours, just listening to it calms me no end.

To that end I purchased the Best Of Einaudi book of sheet music, and have it sat behind my piano as my inspiration and something to strive for.

So my question is, at what point should I open that book and start trying to learn the easiest piece? Would it be detrimental to my learning if i started it too early?

Should I do it when I can sight read? When I have completed level one or level two of Alfreds? When I manage to get a teacher a bit later on? Or should I start looking at it now, and take it very slowly and carefully whilst working on Level One at the same time, to help keep me inspired?

Any opinions would be most welcome. I have read quite a bit of the Einaudi mega-thread and there is some great information there, and some fantastic playing by members of this forum.

-Khen

#1642231 - 03/16/11 12:54 PM Re: Best way towards Einaudi? [Re: oudeis]
Monica K. Offline

Welcome to the forum, Khen! smile I can totally understand your passion for Einaudi's music. And I also understand your eagerness to start learning it. The question of whether to tackle a piece now, before you're "ready" (whatever that means), has been hotly debated here many times. Some say 'absolutely not; it will damage your technique or destroy your motivation.' Others say 'absolutely go for your aspiration pieces, even if you have to grind it out one painful measure at a time.'

I fall somewhere in the middle. I think it is important to work on pieces that you love, and I don't think that any permanent damage can result if you tackle a piece that's too hard for you. The worst that could happen, imo, is that you either put it on hold until later or end up playing it clumsily, and neither of those things are all that bad. I know that my renditions of Einaudi's music are nowhere nearly as musical as his, but it makes me feel *really really good* to play them, even imperfectly.

My advice would be to start with "Limbo." It's got a dead easy left hand, and a repetitive, patterned right hand. If you get nowhere with it after a couple of days, put the book away for a few weeks/months, but I'm guessing you'll be able to make good progress on it even with such a short time on piano.

#1642279 - 03/16/11 01:59 PM Re: Best way towards Einaudi? [Re: oudeis]
Khendon Offline

Loc: UK
Thanks Monica, will give Limbo a whirl for a half hour after my Alfred's practice tonight smile

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
154 registered (accordeur, Adam Coleman, 36251, A Guy, 46 invisible), 1692 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74248 Members
42 Forums
153578 Topics
2250824 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
the government and tuning.
by kc_lee
04/19/14 12:33 PM
Midi controller with a good keybed under 1000$
by Ov3rload
04/19/14 11:55 AM
Bösendorfer vs Steingraeber
by Keith D Kerman
04/19/14 11:51 AM
Keyboard stand
by david_ka
04/19/14 09:42 AM
Tuning stability problems...
by Grotriman
04/19/14 09:20 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission