2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, 4 invisible), 1,281 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
eweiss Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
My point ... my really one and only point is this (and you won't like it) having a 'master' teacher show you how to play other people's music the (right way, better way, more interpretive way) or whatever way you want to call it is absurd.

That's my opinion. And so far, I haven't been persuaded to see it any other way.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by eweiss
Ya. Wouldn't it be easier to just buy a CD of the master of all master's 'Horowitz' and then listen to how he played it. Then you could copy him and all's well in the world. smile

nah, what would be easier is to buy a jim brickman or yanni CD, listen to about 5 minutes of it, then doodle in a major key (with a little relative minor thrown in to tug at the heart strings) and call it an original new age piano composition.

no muss, no fuss!

eweiss Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Entheo
Ya. Wouldn't it be easier to just buy a CD of the master of all master's 'Horowitz' and then listen to how he played it. Then you could copy him and all's well in the world. smile

nah, what would be easier is to buy a jim brickman or yanni CD, listen to about 5 minutes of it, then doodle in a major key (with a little relative minor thrown in to tug at the heart strings) and call it an original new age piano composition.

That's a good idea! smile

eweiss Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
Why are you ignoring all my other points? I'm waiting for answers.

I find your arguments flimsy and rambling.

Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
You think classical music is stiff and horrible, is that because you're bad at it and secretly wish you could do it?

A. Yes. B. No

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
I wouldn't say masterclasses are absurd, they hold the value of experience which the master is giving the student. The student's interpretation isn't wrong, neither is the master's. The master is merely presenting his/her experience of the piece; the student can take it on, change it, or discard it. Over time as the student becomes more progressed they will develop their own ideas, most probably built upon what they have discovered from the masterclass.

All theory, dear friend, is grey, but the golden tree of life springs ever green.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
This thread is still going? It's like Sarah Palin's political career.

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
My point ... my really one and only point is this (and you won't like it) having a 'master' teacher show you how to play other people's music the (right way, better way, more interpretive way) or whatever way you want to call it is absurd.

That's my opinion. And so far, I haven't been persuaded to see it any other way.

Actually I haven't been trying to persuade you at all, merely giving you my take on the whole notion. I guess in your opinion, when it comes to music, no advice is good advice. I happen to disagree and to me it's that notion seems a bit absurd. Given that the best we can hope for is to agree to disagree.

Question, if a person came to you and asked your advice on how to play something, would you politely decline to give any feedback at all?

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by DameMyra

Does it count as a career when no one takes notice?

All theory, dear friend, is grey, but the golden tree of life springs ever green.
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D

Hey now, you're talking about my dream president. smile

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TheCannibalHaddock

No one notice? Politics 101: Sarah Palin is attacked at every opportunity by the left. When that occurs to a politican, left or right or otherwise, it is because they have power, i.e. they are noticed and have a following, and the other side wants to hurt them politically.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by rocket88
Originally Posted by TheCannibalHaddock

No one notice? Politics 101: Sarah Palin is attacked at every opportunity by the left. When that occurs to a politican, left or right or otherwise, it is because they have power, i.e. they are noticed and have a following, and the other side wants to hurt them politically.

Okay then: does it count as a career if no one with any common sense takes notice.
grin

Last edited by TheCannibalHaddock; 03/04/11 05:16 PM. Reason: still can't spell

eweiss Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bitWrangler
Question, if a person came to you and asked your advice on how to play something, would you politely decline to give any feedback at all?

My job as a teacher is to lead and guide students to create their own music. I offer guidelines and principles and leave it up to the student to take it from there.

I don't teach children. Just adults. Or anyone who doesn't mind exploring a different approach to playing piano.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Cannibal, just stop please. Politics is not allowed on these forums, and for good reason. Some of these threads are bad enough without adding additional poison.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Okay, my apologies. Don't worry, i don't actually have anything against Sarah Palin, it's just my poor attempt at a joke.

Last edited by TheCannibalHaddock; 03/04/11 05:30 PM.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Apology accepted. thumb

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B

My job as a teacher is to lead and guide students to create their own music. I offer guidelines and principles and leave it up to the student to take it from there.

I don't teach children. Just adults. Or anyone who doesn't mind exploring a different approach to playing piano.

Can you give an example of "guidelines and principals"? If I as an adult came to you and said "I'm trying to get the right mood for this section, but I just can't seem to make it sound on the keyboard the way I have it in my head", what type of advice would you give me?

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by rocket88
Apology accepted. thumb

smile

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B

Ed can see Russia from his keyboard!

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D

Well, I am afraid that to me, it is your one and only point that is absurd.

That is my opinion.

eweiss Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
If I as an adult came to you and said "I'm trying to get the right mood for this section, but I just can't seem to make it sound on the keyboard the way I have it in my head", what type of advice would you give me?

I'd say forget about trying to 'come up' with something and just play what you feel. I don't teach people how to create a 'happy music' or a 'sad music.' To wit..

Many students want to create music that has a certain emotional quality. For example, I once had a student ask me to show her how to play something that sounded happy.

Of course, this student missed the entire point of my teaching - to play where you are emotionally and to not try and come up with something. I tried to explain to her that if she were feeling happy, then the natural outcome of the music would be flavored with this emotion.

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission