Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1633077 - 03/04/11 12:55 AM Help with Digital Piano choice for my 7 year old, please!
ricky_ricardo Offline

Hello!

Glad to be here!

I'm new to the forum and have arrived here because my 7 year old is going to be starting piano lessons soon and my wife and I were considering getting a digital piano for her.

We don't want to purchase a regular (read: expensive) piano because we really don't know if she's going to gel, long term, with piano lessons; she's excited now, and loves to listen to music, but who knows what the future holds?

At any rate, we were considering a new Casio CDP-100 due to the good reviews, weighted keys, and economical price ($400).

However, there is also an older, used, Yamaha YDP-101 for sale locally for $500, although we are open to other suggestions as well.

Since my wife and I don't play the piano (or any other instrument for that matter - LOL), we thought it best to ask around and see what some other experienced pianists might have to say.

Thanks in advance.

Ricky

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1633491 - 03/04/11 03:47 PM Re: Help with Digital Piano choice for my 7 year old, please! [Re: ricky_ricardo]
Gyro Offline
4000 Post Club Member

The CDP 100 would be a perfectly adequate piano for any playing. This is essentially an electronic emulation of a grand piano. This apparently doesn't come with a stand and bench, and so you'll have to buy those separately.

The used YDP 101 would have the advantage of a factory stand and maybe even a bench--test all 88 keys with and without the right pedal before buying. But $500 is way too much for a used digital that may be ten yrs. or more old. Offer no more than $250 and the seller should grab for that because it's probably the only offer he will get. Any piano is hard to sell because the number of players in the population is small. There's nowhere the seller can unload it fast because a piano dealer won't buy it and a pawn shop will give him almost nothing for it. It has no warranty and you can get good new digitals with full warranty for the same price or less--like the CDP 100, for example. Digital pianos are essentially a computer with a keyboard and speakers and used ones lose value fast like a used pc--how much could you get for a 10 yr. old pc, no matter how much it cost new or how good condition it is in? No one lines up to buy used pianos and so the seller is going to have a very hard time moving it. You never pay the asking price for a used piano. Offer half price and the seller is lucky to get that even.

If your daughter is going to take lessons, don't ever tell the teacher what kind of piano she has at home--just say "we have a good piano." Piano teachers are notorious for hating digital pianos, even though we are 20 yrs. into the Digital Piano Era, and digitals are just as good as regular pianos. It has been pointed out on this forum that big-time concert pianists like Andre Watts and Valentina Lisitsa use digital pianos, and so for a teacher to not take a student with a digital piano is ridiculous.

Edited by Gyro (03/04/11 03:48 PM)

#1633574 - 03/04/11 05:19 PM Re: Help with Digital Piano choice for my 7 year old, please! [Re: ricky_ricardo]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Yamaha says that the YDP-101 came out 12 years ago. No way is it worth $500.

#1633720 - 03/04/11 08:51 PM Re: Help with Digital Piano choice for my 7 year old, please! [Re: ricky_ricardo]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
I would recommend a Casio PX-130 over the CDP-100 - it's just $12 more on Amazon.

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1634317 - 03/05/11 05:09 PM Re: Help with Digital Piano choice for my 7 year old, please! [Re: ricky_ricardo]
Vectistim Offline

Loc: Reading, UK
I second the vote for the PX-130, I have the same action in my machine (330).

Just before sitting down at the computer I was playing a Mozart Sonata on mine (OK, not brilliantly, but the limitations to improving my performance lay in my fingers and not in the keyboard).

The two other options are the Yamaha P-95 and Korg SP170.

#1634329 - 03/05/11 05:29 PM Re: Help with Digital Piano choice for my 7 year old, please! [Re: Vectistim]
achat Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Rome, Italy
I vote for the Yamaha P-95. You should be able to find it at 550$.

A.

Originally Posted By: Vectistim
I second the vote for the PX-130, I have the same action in my machine (330).

Just before sitting down at the computer I was playing a Mozart Sonata on mine (OK, not brilliantly, but the limitations to improving my performance lay in my fingers and not in the keyboard).

The two other options are the Yamaha P-95 and Korg SP170.

#1634373 - 03/05/11 07:03 PM Re: Help with Digital Piano choice for my 7 year old, please! [Re: ricky_ricardo]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: ricky_ricardo
Hello!

Glad to be here!

I'm new to the forum and have arrived here because my 7 year old is going to be starting piano lessons soon and my wife and I were considering getting a digital piano for her.

We don't want to purchase a regular (read: expensive) piano because we really don't know if she's going to gel, long term, with piano lessons; she's excited now, and loves to listen to music, but who knows what the future holds?

At any rate, we were considering a new Casio CDP-100 due to the good reviews, weighted keys, and economical price ($400).

However, there is also an older, used, Yamaha YDP-101 for sale locally for $500, although we are open to other suggestions as well.

Since my wife and I don't play the piano (or any other instrument for that matter - LOL), we thought it best to ask around and see what some other experienced pianists might have to say.

Thanks in advance.

Ricky

If you budget is $500 the PX130 is hard to beat. Later you can buy the three pedal unit. Some prefer the Yamaha P95 for about the same price. Mostly I think the Yamaha brand is much better except in this one case. I like the sound and key action of the Casio.

Do get a proper stand and bench.

The YDP-101 is nearly an antique by now. Technology moves fast. Think of digital pianos like computers or cell phones. $500 seem a lot for it when brand new PX130 with better specs and a warranty also sells for $500. The owners is likely remembering what he paid for it rather then comparing it to what's now on the market.

In a few years you can upgrade. There will be better digital pianos on the market by then and in just three years your daughter will be able to help decide what to get.

Concider learning with her. Some things a 7 year old will pick up faster than an adult but other things you can learn in 10 minutes that will take her a couple years

#1638438 - 03/10/11 08:16 PM Re: Help with Digital Piano choice for my 7 year old, please! [Re: ricky_ricardo]
ricky_ricardo Offline

Many sincere thanks to all that have replied!

Re: the Casio CDP 100 and the PX-130 - my local guitar center store has these for $350 and $499, respectively. Is the latter worth the extra $150, in anyone's opinion?

#1638551 - 03/11/11 12:54 AM Re: Help with Digital Piano choice for my 7 year old, please! [Re: ricky_ricardo]
galaxy4t Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, CA
I think you should go for the PX-130 over the CDP-100. The PX-130 has better keyboard action and also a lot better sound. The piano sample is 4 layers vs 1 or 2 for the CDP-100. Also the sound source used in the Privia is much better. GC puts these on sale from time to time for $399. If there is a BestBuy in your area with a musical instruments room they have the PX-130 bundle with stand and pedal for $549.99

#1639656 - 03/12/11 03:02 PM Re: Help with Digital Piano choice for my 7 year old, please! [Re: galaxy4t]
ricky_ricardo Offline

Just ordered the PX-130 with stand and pedals for $549 at Best Buy.

They were all out of them in-store here in San Diego, so I had to decide whether I wanted to drive up to LA or up to Temecula.

Since going into LA on the weekend (or any time for that matter) is a nightmare (ask me about the 1:00AM - yes AM - traffic jam on the 405 I was buried in one Saturday night), I decided on Temecula.

So....I'm just waiting on the email from them telling me it's ready to be picked up. Should be a fairly easy trip up and back (about an hour each way).

MANY thanks to all of you who took the time to help me out here.

And I will take the advice offered and only tell the piano teacher at my daughter's place of instruction that we "have a good piano at home" and feign ignorance on the rest - LOL.

Again - many sincere thanks!!

Edited by ricky_ricardo (03/12/11 03:04 PM)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
171 registered (adanepst, 36251, accordeur, 50 invisible), 1721 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153501 Topics
2249426 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Question about monitor speakers with keyboard
by peabody
22 minutes 49 seconds ago
Disklavier to replace digital piano?
by Big Cheese
39 minutes 59 seconds ago
Happy Birthday TwoSnowflakes
by gooddog
Today at 02:23 PM
Troubleshooting the Gravity Drop/Weight Transfer etc.
by bledredwine
Today at 11:16 AM
Stories in SoundBook 2 Valerie Roth Roubos
by DameMyra
Today at 10:48 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission