2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 6 invisible), 1,935 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
OP Offline
G
Hello, this post may seem a little childish but im gong to go ahead with it anyway.
Im currently studying music at my college and there are 2 people n my class who play piano, me being one of them. I have many piano books but just cant find the right piece to show off to this other person in my class. You see i have been playing piano longer, i also have a teacher whereas this other person does not have a teacher and just teaches themselves. I am just looking for a few impressive piano pieces to learn that are not anything harder than something of around a grade 6 level. Thanksand i hope my point came across Ok

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Why not ask your teacher?

Best regards,

Deborah
G
OP Offline
G
I did and thy were unsure by what i meant when i said impressive, you see i haveshowed off a lot of songs in my class that i can play but they evidently havent been difficult enough to wow the other person in my class as they have learnt them as well. I want a piece that is around a grade 6 and something quite technically challenging that the person in my class will not be able to play.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Hmm it really depends what you mean by impressive.

I personally find this piece very impressive, but maybe not in the way you mean, and it's about sixth grade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MTJI2d1CcI

J
J
I won't ask the many questions popping into my head. . . but here: Rachmaninov's Prelude 2, Op. 3.
I play that all the time and it impresses people. . . mostly because they have a misconception that Rachmaninov = impossible giant chords, etc. Note-wise, it isn't all too difficult to achieve, but getting the feeling right - that is tricky. Besides that, it's just a great piece to end a concert with - starting soft, getting extremely fast, followed by magnanimous chords, and ending mysteriously soft. . . .

Chopin, Brahms, Schubert, Rachmaninov
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I personally think that prelude would be too difficult.

No doubt about the impressive bit though!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Maybe

to celebrate Liszt.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
No offense, but its a bit childish. Why do you want to show the other person you are better than him/her? Are you trying to make the other person feel bad, or yourself feel good? Why not try to be their friend? Two pianists can live in harmony in the same class, rather than say "This town aint big enough for the both of us."

Just some friendly advice. smile

Last edited by Akira; 03/04/11 08:41 PM.
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
If you play with sincerity, you can impress the most jaded audience with a Brahms Intermezzo or a Mendelssohn Song Without Words. If you don't, then even Islamey won't be enough. Thinking about music in such a juvenile way won't help you in your development at all.

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
CPE Bach: Solfeleggio (forgive my awful spelling)

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by chobeethaninov
CPE Bach: Solfeleggio (forgive my awful spelling)

Good suggestion !!!

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
J
J
Originally Posted by Akira
No offense, but its a bit childish. Why do you want to show the other person you are better than him/her? Are you trying to make the other person feel bad, or yourself feel good? Why not try to be their friend? Two pianists can live in harmony in the same class, rather than say "This town aint big enough for the both of us."

Completely wrong! Pianists shall fight to the death to prove themselves better than the other. Nobody likes harmony! laugh (We prefer dissonance). ;D

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
All you have to do is go to the piano and start playing random keys very fast and very loud. Then when someone asks "What's all that random banging?" you can say, "That's not random banging! That's Rachmaninoff's second concerto!" They will probably believe you and be very impressed. I'm serious. I did it once as a joke. wink

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JesseOffy

Completely wrong! Pianists shall fight to the death to prove themselves better than the other. Nobody likes harmony! laugh (We prefer dissonance). ;D

Speak for yourself-- many of us don't prefer dissonance, at least not in our personal relations. (We like it in our Ives, not in our lives... smile )

I think Akira is right on here.

-Jason

L
ll Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by beet31425

Speak for yourself-- many of us don't prefer dissonance, at least not in our personal relations. (We like it in our Ives, not in our lives... smile )

I think Akira is right on here.

-Jason

I think it twas a joke.

Originally Posted by WinsomeAllegretto
All you have to do is go to the piano and start playing random keys very fast and very loud. Then when someone asks "What's all that random banging?" you can say, "That's not random banging! That's Rachmaninoff's second concerto!" They will probably believe you and be very impressed. I'm serious. I did it once as a joke. wink

One of the first things I do when teaching basic improv is tell students that if they play any black key combinations, it will sound nice and exotic (the pentatonic scale's brilliance!). Not only does it sound impressive, people are amazed that you 'only played the black keys, must be harder!'

I don't think anyone would think it was Rach's 2nd, but it still works smile

II. As in, second best.
Only lowercase. So not even that.
I teach piano and violin.
BM, Violin & Percussion Performance 2009, Piano Pedagogy 2011.
J
J
Originally Posted by WinsomeAllegretto

Thanks. I'm gonna get famous doing this. laugh (starting to get bad ideas).

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
GP:

I agree with the first half of the first sentence of your post.

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
G
OP Offline
G

lol iknow its childish m just a bit competitive, thanks for the advice though

G
OP Offline
G
[quote=BruceD]GP:

I agree with the first half of the first sentence of your post. [/quote

i agree also, thats why i said it. But im competitive i cant help it!

G
OP Offline
G
I won't ask the many questions popping into my head. . . but here:

Thanks for the suggestion but go ahead and ask what you like, my post was a bit rushed and maybe unclear.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission