2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 12 invisible), 1,820 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
U
UpNorth Offline OP
OP Offline
U
Hi everyone - I recently had the chance to help out a family member by "partially gifting" my Yamaha P155 to her. (She gave me what she'd saved so far towards a new one, which was about $500, and I ate the loss to me as a gift to her.)

She's happy, I'm happy, and I have no DP as of right now.

My choices are to either replace my P155 with another one just like it, or spend a fair bit more and perhaps upgrade to something like a Roland FP7F, or perhaps an FP7, DP990, or something along these lines. I liked my P155 just fine - I'm an adult learner and it seemed to work pretty well, especially when I set it up with external speakers or just with good hadphones. I thought the keyboard action was fine, but I read and hear that the PHAIII is definitely better, and that PHAII might be as good or better.

What might you do? I'm not really interested in going to anything less than a P155, and I want to keep the entire outlay between $1200 and $2300. The idea of saving some serious cash and just going with another P155 is appealing, but the gearhead in me is looking up the price chain. My priority is a nice grand piano mode, and to have a DP with decent feel/action, and the other bells/whistles/features are of relatively little importance to me.

Thanks for your thoughts...

Last edited by UpNorth; 03/03/11 12:47 PM.

Yamaha P-525
K
K
In keeping with the slab style tradition of your old DP it seems like the FP7f would be a good choice. You said you have a pair of external speakers so maybe a Kawai MP6, RD300NX, or Yammy CP50 would be good as well, but they are stage pianos. Do you have a music store in your area with any of the DP's in the $1700 price range that you could try out?

U
UpNorth Offline OP
OP Offline
U
No - no options for trying out DP models anywhere near me. Not too sure if I want to get into a stage piano. If money were no object, I'd grab an FP7F immediately. But, money is sort of an issue, although not a completely determining factor. Thanks...

Yamaha P-525
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'd say stick to your P155. They are really great little home pianos, and since money is an option, and you don't have the ability to test various comparable boards (are there any??), I'd say you're best bet is to go for the P155 again.

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
K
K
Another slab style DP you could look at would be the Kawai ES6. It is getting a little older and may be getting an update soon, Frankfurt Musikmesse this April would tell, but it's a good DP and worth mentioning.

I think the best Slab style out right now in terms of sound quality would be the Roland FP7f with it's supernatural piano technology.

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by UpNorth
No - no options for trying out DP models anywhere near me. Not too sure if I want to get into a stage piano. If money were no object, I'd grab an FP7F immediately. But, money is sort of an issue, although not a completely determining factor. Thanks...

I've seen this said before. Where do you live that there are no music stores.

The FP7F is different enough from the P155 that you really need to try it out first. If you absolutely can't get away from the house (I can understand, by bother is disabled and it would be hard for him to go very far) then a safe upgrade is the Yamaha CP50. The keys are close to the P155, the black keys slightly smaller so fatter fingers fit between them and the sound is improved. If you have speakers left over from the old P155 they will work with the CP50.

U
UpNorth Offline OP
OP Offline
U
Originally Posted by ChrisA

I've seen this said before. Where do you live that there are no music stores.

Happily, a long way away from cities and urban areas. Disabled? Not at all. Maybe 6+ hours drive from stores that stock these DPs.

Thanks for letting me clear that up.

Yamaha P-525
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C

Happily, a long way away from cities and urban areas. Disabled? Not at all. Maybe 6+ hours drive from stores that stock these DPs.

Then a weekend trip to the city would be in order. Spend two days spend doing research before spending $2K seems reasonable. Second idea is to buy three pianos from on-line stores that accept returns. Set all three up in the house then send the two back you like least.

U
UpNorth Offline OP
OP Offline
U

Then a weekend trip to the city would be in order. Spend two days spend doing research before spending $2K seems reasonable. Second idea is to buy three pianos from on-line stores that accept returns. Set all three up in the house then send the two back you like least.

This is now becoming annoying. I understand the concept and advantages of playing a piano in person, and that driving to a store, or having them shipped to me, can make this possible.

What next? A reminder for me to drop my drawers next time I go to take a dump?

Yamaha P-525
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

This is now becoming annoying. I understand the concept and advantages of playing a piano in person, and that driving to a store, or having them shipped to me, can make this possible.

Nah, I'll just recommend my suggestion again...get another P155! smile

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Now now.

Like most people here, I would feel uncomfortable recommending a DP that you buy sight-unseen. There are just too many personal issues involved, it is a musical instrument after all, and we can't read your mind. You at least know what the P155 is.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S

You said money was an issue. Take the good advice offered and don't be such a grouch. Otherwise gamble away.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I vote for the FP7F - Unless you really like the thin bright Yamaha sound, with looping and stretching, go for something new and different. The Roland sound is quite a bit mellower than Yammie, but it is much more sophisticated in design. If you are willing to buy it sight unseen, accept it's sound and feel and make it work, it's a good choice.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
... I want to keep the entire outlay between $1200 and $2300.

I'm not sure how to interpret your budget. Is that in USD or something else? I.e. are you in the States, Canada, BFE guarding the sand, what?

If money were no object, I'd grab an FP7F immediately.

You can get an FP-7F all day long here in the US for $1900 USD delivered. So if you're in the States, it's game over man!

Unless you haven't played an FP-7F. In that case we're back to guessing what you might want and how much you might actually want to pay for it.

hey, UpYours,

You want some advice?

A)- Take your act over to The Keyboard Corner forum.
You'll fit right in with the preponderance of prix there.

B)- You might be mature enough for a DP like the FP-7F.
Even a P-155-eating FP-4 will get you out of the bush.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dewster
...it's game over man!

One of the best action movies of all time!

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kawai James
One of the best action movies of all time!

I saw the original in the theater, but the director's cut is one of the best movies I've ever seen. Seriously outdid everything else in the quadrilogy. IMO 3 killed the franchise, and the DC of it is just more of a bad thing. 4 is a breath of fresh air in comparison.

I actually rather like the mood and pacing of '3' - it's a real contrast to the second film. If you watch 1, 2 (director's cut), and 3 back-to-back, the final film (4 doesn't count) bookends the trilogy nicely.

I agree with you about the DC/SE version though - the sentry guns part alone is real edge-of-the-seat stuff!

Looks absolutely terrific on Blu-ray too! wink

[/offtopic]

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
U
UpNorth Offline OP
OP Offline
U
Hmmm. I think I owe ChrisA and others here an apology for my less-than-cordial remarks. Having a bad day yesterday was no excuse for being ornery here. This is a nice forum with nice people - I apologize for my comments.

Yamaha P-525
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Outside of a Madonna video or two, I can't get into anything Fincher has ever done.

For me the additional backstory in A2 DC gives the whole thing a different feel.

</ot - sorry!>

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission