Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1632404 - 03/03/11 11:43 AM Yamaha P155 - replace or upgrade?
UpNorth Offline

Hi everyone - I recently had the chance to help out a family member by "partially gifting" my Yamaha P155 to her. (She gave me what she'd saved so far towards a new one, which was about $500, and I ate the loss to me as a gift to her.)

She's happy, I'm happy, and I have no DP as of right now.

My choices are to either replace my P155 with another one just like it, or spend a fair bit more and perhaps upgrade to something like a Roland FP7F, or perhaps an FP7, DP990, or something along these lines. I liked my P155 just fine - I'm an adult learner and it seemed to work pretty well, especially when I set it up with external speakers or just with good hadphones. I thought the keyboard action was fine, but I read and hear that the PHAIII is definitely better, and that PHAII might be as good or better.

What might you do? I'm not really interested in going to anything less than a P155, and I want to keep the entire outlay between $1200 and $2300. The idea of saving some serious cash and just going with another P155 is appealing, but the gearhead in me is looking up the price chain. My priority is a nice grand piano mode, and to have a DP with decent feel/action, and the other bells/whistles/features are of relatively little importance to me.

Thanks for your thoughts...

Edited by UpNorth (03/03/11 11:47 AM)

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1632412 - 03/03/11 11:54 AM Re: Yamaha P155 - replace or upgrade? [Re: UpNorth]
KHen Offline

Loc: North America
In keeping with the slab style tradition of your old DP it seems like the FP7f would be a good choice. You said you have a pair of external speakers so maybe a Kawai MP6, RD300NX, or Yammy CP50 would be good as well, but they are stage pianos. Do you have a music store in your area with any of the DP's in the $1700 price range that you could try out?

#1632426 - 03/03/11 12:06 PM Re: Yamaha P155 - replace or upgrade? [Re: KHen]
UpNorth Offline

No - no options for trying out DP models anywhere near me. Not too sure if I want to get into a stage piano. If money were no object, I'd grab an FP7F immediately. But, money is sort of an issue, although not a completely determining factor. Thanks...

#1632440 - 03/03/11 12:19 PM Re: Yamaha P155 - replace or upgrade? [Re: UpNorth]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'd say stick to your P155. They are really great little home pianos, and since money is an option, and you don't have the ability to test various comparable boards (are there any??), I'd say you're best bet is to go for the P155 again.

"Life is a lot like jazz...it's best when you improvise."

#1632443 - 03/03/11 12:22 PM Re: Yamaha P155 - replace or upgrade? [Re: UpNorth]
KHen Offline

Loc: North America
Another slab style DP you could look at would be the Kawai ES6. It is getting a little older and may be getting an update soon, Frankfurt Musikmesse this April would tell, but it's a good DP and worth mentioning.

I think the best Slab style out right now in terms of sound quality would be the Roland FP7f with it's supernatural piano technology.

#1632520 - 03/03/11 01:52 PM Re: Yamaha P155 - replace or upgrade? [Re: UpNorth]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: UpNorth
No - no options for trying out DP models anywhere near me. Not too sure if I want to get into a stage piano. If money were no object, I'd grab an FP7F immediately. But, money is sort of an issue, although not a completely determining factor. Thanks...

I've seen this said before. Where do you live that there are no music stores.

The FP7F is different enough from the P155 that you really need to try it out first. If you absolutely can't get away from the house (I can understand, by bother is disabled and it would be hard for him to go very far) then a safe upgrade is the Yamaha CP50. The keys are close to the P155, the black keys slightly smaller so fatter fingers fit between them and the sound is improved. If you have speakers left over from the old P155 they will work with the CP50.

#1632550 - 03/03/11 02:22 PM Re: Yamaha P155 - replace or upgrade? [Re: ChrisA]
UpNorth Offline

Originally Posted By: ChrisA

I've seen this said before. Where do you live that there are no music stores.

Happily, a long way away from cities and urban areas. Disabled? Not at all. Maybe 6+ hours drive from stores that stock these DPs.

Thanks for letting me clear that up.

#1632838 - 03/03/11 08:06 PM Re: Yamaha P155 - replace or upgrade? [Re: UpNorth]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California

Happily, a long way away from cities and urban areas. Disabled? Not at all. Maybe 6+ hours drive from stores that stock these DPs.

Then a weekend trip to the city would be in order. Spend two days spend doing research before spending $2K seems reasonable. Second idea is to buy three pianos from on-line stores that accept returns. Set all three up in the house then send the two back you like least.

#1633512 - 03/04/11 04:09 PM Re: Yamaha P155 - replace or upgrade? [Re: ChrisA]
UpNorth Offline

Then a weekend trip to the city would be in order. Spend two days spend doing research before spending $2K seems reasonable. Second idea is to buy three pianos from on-line stores that accept returns. Set all three up in the house then send the two back you like least.

This is now becoming annoying. I understand the concept and advantages of playing a piano in person, and that driving to a store, or having them shipped to me, can make this possible.

What next? A reminder for me to drop my drawers next time I go to take a dump?

#1633557 - 03/04/11 05:10 PM Re: Yamaha P155 - replace or upgrade? [Re: UpNorth]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

This is now becoming annoying. I understand the concept and advantages of playing a piano in person, and that driving to a store, or having them shipped to me, can make this possible.

Nah, I'll just recommend my suggestion again...get another P155! smile

"Life is a lot like jazz...it's best when you improvise."

#1633558 - 03/04/11 05:10 PM Re: Yamaha P155 - replace or upgrade? [Re: UpNorth]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Now now.

Like most people here, I would feel uncomfortable recommending a DP that you buy sight-unseen. There are just too many personal issues involved, it is a musical instrument after all, and we can't read your mind. You at least know what the P155 is.

#1633578 - 03/04/11 05:23 PM Re: Yamaha P155 - replace or upgrade? [Re: UpNorth]
spanishbuddha Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK

You said money was an issue. Take the good advice offered and don't be such a grouch. Otherwise gamble away.

#1633607 - 03/04/11 05:47 PM Re: Yamaha P155 - replace or upgrade? [Re: spanishbuddha]
emenelton Offline

I vote for the FP7F - Unless you really like the thin bright Yamaha sound, with looping and stretching, go for something new and different. The Roland sound is quite a bit mellower than Yammie, but it is much more sophisticated in design. If you are willing to buy it sight unseen, accept it's sound and feel and make it work, it's a good choice.

#1633655 - 03/04/11 06:44 PM Re: Yamaha P155 - replace or upgrade? [Re: UpNorth]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

... I want to keep the entire outlay between $1200 and $2300.

I'm not sure how to interpret your budget. Is that in USD or something else? I.e. are you in the States, Canada, BFE guarding the sand, what?

If money were no object, I'd grab an FP7F immediately.

You can get an FP-7F all day long here in the US for $1900 USD delivered. So if you're in the States, it's game over man!

Unless you haven't played an FP-7F. In that case we're back to guessing what you might want and how much you might actually want to pay for it.

#1633700 - 03/04/11 08:17 PM Re: Yamaha P155 - replace or upgrade? [Re: UpNorth]
Compassion Offline

hey, UpYours,

You want some advice?

A)- Take your act over to The Keyboard Corner forum.
You'll fit right in with the preponderance of prix there.

B)- You might be mature enough for a DP like the FP-7F.
Even a P-155-eating FP-4 will get you out of the bush.

#1633717 - 03/04/11 08:50 PM Re: Yamaha P155 - replace or upgrade? [Re: UpNorth]
Kawai James Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted By: dewster
...it's game over man!

One of the best action movies of all time!

James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1633838 - 03/05/11 12:06 AM Re: Yamaha P155 - replace or upgrade? [Re: Kawai James]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
One of the best action movies of all time!

I saw the original in the theater, but the director's cut is one of the best movies I've ever seen. Seriously outdid everything else in the quadrilogy. IMO 3 killed the franchise, and the DC of it is just more of a bad thing. 4 is a breath of fresh air in comparison.

#1633872 - 03/05/11 01:00 AM Re: Yamaha P155 - replace or upgrade? [Re: UpNorth]
Kawai James Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
I actually rather like the mood and pacing of '3' - it's a real contrast to the second film. If you watch 1, 2 (director's cut), and 3 back-to-back, the final film (4 doesn't count) bookends the trilogy nicely.

I agree with you about the DC/SE version though - the sentry guns part alone is real edge-of-the-seat stuff!

Looks absolutely terrific on Blu-ray too! wink

[/offtopic]

James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1634011 - 03/05/11 09:23 AM Re: Yamaha P155 - replace or upgrade? [Re: UpNorth]
UpNorth Offline

Hmmm. I think I owe ChrisA and others here an apology for my less-than-cordial remarks. Having a bad day yesterday was no excuse for being ornery here. This is a nice forum with nice people - I apologize for my comments.

#1634056 - 03/05/11 11:03 AM Re: Yamaha P155 - replace or upgrade? [Re: UpNorth]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Outside of a Madonna video or two, I can't get into anything Fincher has ever done.

For me the additional backstory in A2 DC gives the whole thing a different feel.

</ot - sorry!>

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
78 registered (antony, anotherscott, Anna Francesch, arX, 20 invisible), 1190 Guests and 40 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74307 Members
42 Forums
153691 Topics
2253033 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Spelling chords and using correct accidentals
by JoelW
Today at 03:11 AM
HELP! Is this strain because of my technique?
by T.M.E.
Yesterday at 11:26 PM
Is it my technique that's causing this?
by T.M.E.
Yesterday at 10:49 PM
Best brand of upright piano 48" or larger?
by WG40
Yesterday at 10:22 PM
Kawai MP11 vs. Kawai VPC-1 Action / Key Length
by jp2011
Yesterday at 10:00 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission