Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1627993 - 02/25/11 02:38 PM A question on Chopin Polonaise op. 26: From autograph
Monsieur Pichon Offline

Hi, guys. I was just looking at some autograph editions of some of the Chopin works and I found something intersting. Here is an edition of Chopin op. 26 (no. 1) Polonaise:

When the ff comes we can see on the upper voice (?): D, B# and A #.
Now, let's see on this autograph manuscript from 1834 or 1835:

So why that difference? This Polonaise has been corrected by Chopin years later? I haven't found any of that info wich confirms that idea. Any of you have seen or hearded any recording with the manuscript notes?

Thank you very much.

PD: Sorry for my english.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1628002 - 02/25/11 02:58 PM Re: A question on Chopin Polonaise op. 26: From autograph [Re: Monsieur Pichon]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
The B# and A# are also in Chopin's First Editions Online, maybe he did add some corrections to the original manuscript later...

Music is my best friend.

#1628017 - 02/25/11 03:21 PM Re: A question on Chopin Polonaise op. 26: From autograph [Re: Monsieur Pichon]
SlatterFan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton, UK
According to the source commentary of the National Edition, Chopin added the B sharp and A sharp (and also the tie of the top D sharp to the next bar) in the proofs of the first French edition (Schlesinger, Paris, July 1836).

#1628678 - 02/26/11 04:38 PM Re: A question on Chopin Polonaise op. 26: From autograph [Re: SlatterFan]
Monsieur_Pichon Offline

Loc: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Thank you very much for the info, guys.

PD: I'm Monsieur_Pichon, but I had forgot this password account when I createad the thread.

Edited by KoRnU (02/26/11 04:41 PM)

#1628705 - 02/26/11 05:06 PM Re: A question on Chopin Polonaise op. 26: From autograph [Re: Monsieur Pichon]
Piano Explorer Offline

I don't know if you have the full autograph available. As most people don't, I think it's important to clear a mistake that is quite common due to editors' habit of changing the original score.

The final section of the piece is, in most editions, marked with a "da capo", which indicates that you have to repeat the first two sections, ending in a 'sad' C# minor. But Chopin's original intention was diferent: he didn't write any "da capo" indication, which means the piece ends in the very diferent C# major.

But as most people play by the "da capo" way, before playing the correct way, have a sort of a previous advertisement to prevent any unnecessary confusion.

#1628872 - 02/26/11 11:04 PM Re: A question on Chopin Polonaise op. 26: From autograph [Re: Piano Explorer]
Monsieur_Pichon Offline

Definitely, Chopin didn't wanted to end the piece at C#. But neither in C# minor. Instead of that, this manuscripts is showing the piece ending at the D flat part on a "da capo" for only that part.

If you like, I could post the entire manuscript but It will take me some minutes.

^^

#1628883 - 02/26/11 11:33 PM Re: A question on Chopin Polonaise op. 26: From autograph [Re: Monsieur_Pichon]
Monsieur_Pichon Offline

Well, here is it. I suppouse that all of us are goint to interpretate this piece in a different way...=P

Page 1:

Page 2:

Page 3:

Page 4:

All in one:

What do you think, guys?

^^

Edited by KoRnU (02/26/11 11:35 PM)

#1628933 - 02/27/11 01:30 AM Re: A question on Chopin Polonaise op. 26: From autograph [Re: Monsieur Pichon]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
That's so strange. No other dance of his lacks a reprise.. but there it is. "Fine."

Edited by jeffreyjones (02/27/11 01:31 AM)

#1629055 - 02/27/11 07:40 AM Re: A question on Chopin Polonaise op. 26: From autograph [Re: Monsieur_Pichon]
Piano Explorer Offline

Oh i'm sorry, I was just thinking from memory, and im my head the piece ended in C# major...

#1629297 - 02/27/11 02:23 PM Re: A question on Chopin Polonaise op. 26: From autograph [Re: jeffreyjones]
SlatterFan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jeffreyjones
That's so strange. No other dance of his lacks a reprise.. but there it is. "Fine."

This is a tricky and interesting one! According to the National Edition, Chopin normally wrote Fine at the end of manuscripts. It was presumably a term indicating to the engraver/publisher, "That's all, folks! There are no more pages to this piece." (A similar idea features in magazines today, where one often sees a solid square or diamond or other symbol to indicate that the article or interview has ended.)

My speculation is that this simple "end of manuscript" Fine was interpreted as a performance direction by the publishers, countermanding an expected da capo. It is reasonable to wonder why didn't Chopin notice this when proofreading the first French edition (which I think was based on the autograph shown in this thread), and why he didn't cross out the Fine in any of his pupils' copies. It's tricky. It might sound like a copout, but Chopin did have a consistent record of missing a lot of mistakes when proofreading, and my guess is that he just overlooked it.

Mikuli marks this polonaise with da capo at the end, which carries some weight, as he was a long-term pupil of Chopin, corresponded with other eminent pupils when compiling his edition, and he tried hard to be an urtext editor and was not in the habit of making these kinds of changes/additions.

The National Edition also points out that in some of the earlier written polonaises, Chopin did not write da capo, presumably because it was so obvious. The National Edition marks [D.C. al Fine senza repetizioni] at the end, and [Fine] at the end of bar 37, with the square brackets showing that these are editorial. While there is no conclusive evidence, I think theirs is the intended/best way.

#1629526 - 02/27/11 08:13 PM Re: A question on Chopin Polonaise op. 26: From autograph [Re: Monsieur Pichon]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
I tend to agree with that. Intent or not, I couldn't dream of playing this Polonaise without a reprise. Not that the C# minor ending is any more resolute, but in a piece like this, you have to return home before going to bed...

#1629544 - 02/27/11 08:37 PM Re: A question on Chopin Polonaise op. 26: From autograph [Re: SlatterFan]
Jeff Kallberg Offline

Originally Posted By: SlatterFan
Originally Posted By: jeffreyjones

This is a tricky and interesting one! According to the National Edition, Chopin normally wrote Fine at the end of manuscripts. It was presumably a term indicating to the engraver/publisher, "That's all, folks! There are no more pages to this piece." (A similar idea features in magazines today, where one often sees a solid square or diamond or other symbol to indicate that the article or interview has ended.)

My speculation is that this simple "end of manuscript" Fine was interpreted as a performance direction by the publishers, countermanding an expected da capo. It is reasonable to wonder why didn't Chopin notice this when proofreading the first French edition (which I think was based on the autograph shown in this thread), and why he didn't cross out the Fine in any of his pupils' copies. It's tricky. It might sound like a copout, but Chopin did have a consistent record of missing a lot of mistakes when proofreading, and my guess is that he just overlooked it.

Mikuli marks this polonaise with da capo at the end, which carries some weight, as he was a long-term pupil of Chopin, corresponded with other eminent pupils when compiling his edition, and he tried hard to be an urtext editor and was not in the habit of making these kinds of changes/additions.

The National Edition also points out that in some of the earlier written polonaises, Chopin did not write da capo, presumably because it was so obvious. The National Edition marks [D.C. al Fine senza repetizioni] at the end, and [Fine] at the end of bar 37, with the square brackets showing that these are editorial. While there is no conclusive evidence, I think theirs is the intended/best way.

Conversely (and since the National Edition appeared in print) Zofia Chechlinska has demonstrated that there are several polonaises by Polish composers prior to Chopin that ended after the Trio (and hence without repeating the opening section).

Also note that all three of the first editions (French, German, English) mark "fin" or "fine" at the end of the Trio. You may confirm this at the following excellent site:

Chopin First Editions Online

Jeff Kallberg

#1629858 - 02/28/11 10:56 AM Re: A question on Chopin Polonaise op. 26: From autograph [Re: Monsieur Pichon]
Monsieur_Pichon Offline

I think that reprise is useless in this piece. I know, somehow, that this piece has to finish in this tone and after such melody in the left hand. well, I think it must end on Db major beacause the first part is not conclusive at all. You are waiting something more, Chopin is telling us something more. Well not Chopin, but his music.

^^

#1630056 - 02/28/11 04:08 PM Re: A question on Chopin Polonaise op. 26: From autograph [Re: Monsieur Pichon]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

By the way, is there a site with Chopin's manuscripts?

Music is my best friend.

#1630116 - 02/28/11 05:27 PM Re: A question on Chopin Polonaise op. 26: From autograph [Re: Jeff Kallberg]
SlatterFan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Jeff Kallberg
Conversely (and since the National Edition appeared in print) Zofia Chechlinska has demonstrated that there are several polonaises by Polish composers prior to Chopin that ended after the Trio (and hence without repeating the opening section).

That is interesting. I see that Chechlinska is an editor of a new critical Chopin edition published by Peters, and that the polonaises edited by her (EP 71907) are due out very soon. I'll definitely take a look.

Op.26 No.1 would be an exception for Chopin in the form. His last three polonaises are more complex in form, but of the other 13+, the 9+ posthumous ones were all published with da capo indications whether Chopin wrote the words in or not (apparently he did not always write them in). Op.26 No.2 and Op.40 No.1 have varied returns of the opening section written out, and Op.40 No.2 has a shortened return to the opening section written out. So his very first published polonaise would be the stand-out exception for him. Possible, but surprising and odd, I think.

Camille O'Meara-Dubois studied this polonaise with Chopin, and she was respected as an authority on Chopin's works by many musicians, including Liszt. Mikuli consulted Dubois when publishing his collected edition of the works of Chopin, and Mikuli includes the da capo.

Moving to the more subjective, I sense a similar mood in both Op.26 No.1 and Op.44. Both are agitated and feature the same insistent rhythm in the main theme, but Op.26 No.1 is a less intense work and finishes quietly and briefly in the minor, while op.44 is much more intense work and finishes quietly but in a prolonged and tense way in the minor, before a vigorous final chime. With hindsight, op.26 is almost a dress rehearsal for his later masterwork. Also, I simply feel that it sounds weird to finish with the trio of Op.26 No.1, but perfectly fitting to finish at the end of the minor section after a return. (I wonder if it is a coincidence that Jeffrey seems similarly convinced of this, and that he is also a big fan of op.44?)

Also note that all three of the first editions (French, German, English) mark "fin" or "fine" at the end of the Trio. You may confirm this at the following excellent site:

Chopin First Editions Online

A fine site! I have linked to it many times in this forum and I consulted it before posting. The German and English first editions appear to have been based on the French first edition, and we only have one autograph to look at, so I don't think this tells us much.

#1630280 - 02/28/11 09:50 PM Re: A question on Chopin Polonaise op. 26: From autograph [Re: ChopinAddict]
Jeff Kallberg Offline

Originally Posted By: ChopinAddict

Alas no, at least on the scale of CFEO. Jeff Kallberg

#1630351 - 03/01/11 12:08 AM Re: A question on Chopin Polonaise op. 26: From autograph [Re: Jeff Kallberg]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ChopinAddict

Alas no, at least on the scale of CFEO. Jeff Kallberg

It's a pity... frown Maybe one day we can start a project to have such a site...

Music is my best friend.

#1631302 - 03/02/11 09:59 AM Re: A question on Chopin Polonaise op. 26: From autograph [Re: Monsieur Pichon]
Monsieur_Pichon Offline

why not now? I have some info and, of course, we could all find out something more. There are a lot of facsimiles going around...What do you say?

#1631307 - 03/02/11 10:03 AM Re: A question on Chopin Polonaise op. 26: From autograph [Re: Monsieur_Pichon]
Jeff Kallberg Offline

Originally Posted By: Monsieur_Pichon
why not now? I have some info and, of course, we could all find out something more. There are a lot of facsimiles going around...What do you say?

Major copyright issues. Jeff Kallberg

#1631328 - 03/02/11 10:37 AM Re: A question on Chopin Polonaise op. 26: From autograph [Re: Monsieur Pichon]
Monsieur_Pichon Offline

Copyright issues? What are you talking about? Chopin died like 160 years ago. Noones is the owner of a the manuscript. Even if Chopin has died 5 years ago, please, people. This is art, this is music. Noone can be the OWNER of such things. Its incredible that some people still thinking on private propiety. You cannot be the OWNER of a music piece. You cant posses the music or the arts. Not even the composer itself is the owner of a musical piece. A musical piece is an idea, an idea cannot be sold! Look what happened in Spain with the "Ley Sinde". Please, people. ART CANNOT BE OWNED. There is no PROPERTY in the art. Not even in the land. You cannot own a piece of land. Thats ridiculous!
If we want to take this project forward forget about those stupid things of copyright, property, beings, and all that things. Those all are concepts created by the most putefract part of the human being: the capitalism. ¿Who is the owner of the Polonaise op. 26? The museum of Chopin in Poland? The Bibliothèque nationale de France? Schirmer? The owner of a private collection of MANUSCRIPTS? Come on...Surelly, the polonaise could bring miles of dollars to such entities. But that's inconceivable. An idea cannot be sold.

AN IDEA MUST NOT BE SOLD!

This is art. Art is for all the people who wants it.
I'm saying, with this, that a composer should not recieve something in change of his WORK (money or whatever)? No! They have to be paid for that. But thats totally different of the business in music.

Sorry for the long answer but the reply "No, we cant. Copyright issues..." instead a legitimate response for a project like this, is not confortable at all.

Thank you and sorry for my bad english.

#1631571 - 03/02/11 04:01 PM Re: A question on Chopin Polonaise op. 26: From autograph [Re: Monsieur Pichon]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I personally only have the Ballade Op.38, which I downloaded from PianoStreet...
I am not an expert, but I tend to think like Monsieur_Pichon that copyright should not be an issue...

Music is my best friend.

#1631706 - 03/02/11 06:26 PM Re: A question on Chopin Polonaise op. 26: From autograph [Re: Monsieur Pichon]
Monsieur_Pichon Offline

Ok, I have:

Polonaise op.26 no.1 and 2.
Polonaise op.53.
Mazurkas op.50 and op. 53 (only no. 3)
Allegro de Concert.

ChopinAddict: Ballade op. 38

Come on, people, lets continue searching!

#1634347 - 03/05/11 06:07 PM Re: A question on Chopin Polonaise op. 26: From autograph [Re: Monsieur_Pichon]
Monsieur_Pichon Offline

Anyone would like to participate in this project? Maybe we could start a portal to offer all the world the manuscripts......=D

^^

#1634351 - 03/05/11 06:11 PM Re: A question on Chopin Polonaise op. 26: From autograph [Re: Monsieur Pichon]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Or at least someone who knows where we can find more...

Music is my best friend.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
143 registered (angga888, accordeur, Almaviva, Alux, 46 invisible), 1488 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153619 Topics
2251480 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Noodling board
by Maarkr
04/20/14 10:20 PM
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
04/20/14 10:17 PM
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
04/20/14 08:18 PM
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
04/20/14 08:09 PM
DEBUSSY-"Serenade for the Doll" from 'Children's Corner'
by Hal Freedman
04/20/14 07:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission