2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, 36251, benkeys, 9 invisible), 1,931 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1635217 03/06/11 09:58 PM
slerk Offline OP
OP Offline
With Argerich's recent Bach video, an excerpt from the Verbier festival, I've become interested in the Capriccio from the C Minor Partita. Consequently, I've started working on it, but it seems like a tricky little piece.

Is it the hardest out of the partita? It's certainly very fast, and I estimate it would be about grade level 8 ABRSM.

Have any of you played it before?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Yes, I've played it many times. I don't know if one can claim it as "hardest" (do you mean of the partitas themselves, or movement within the cminor itself?), because something different is difficult to each of us, but no, it's not an easy task.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I've played it and agree with stores, it's by no means as straightforward as it sounds.

I did find it one of the more difficult dances in the suite, though.

The whole partita is brilliant and well worth investigating.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Also, as far as whether the Capriccio is the hardest movement in Partita 2, doesn't it all depend on how fast you decide to take things? I can hear that movement anywhere from MM=88 to 138. And the last section of the Sinfonia (the chief rival in difficulty, largely because of its length) has an even larger tempo range to my ears.

It's tricky no matter what you do, but that Capriccio doesn't have to be a velocity piece per se.

-Jason

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by beet31425

It's tricky no matter what you do, but that Capriccio doesn't have to be a velocity piece per se.

I have played the whole Partita, must have been 16 or so. (Always wanted to do the E minor, but that was not to be, and a whole 'nother story there.)

I think Argerich's tempo is perfect. It works. Alas, her recording of the C minor Toccata has always intimidated any efforts on my behalf to attempt this very difficult piece. Even today, years later, it is hard to read through it without hearing her in the background. Sort of like the Chopin Bb minor Scherzo?

Jason
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
The muscularity of the opening rhythm points towards a less than frenetic tempo. It portrays strength, not fleetfootedness, to me. It is probably the hardest movt in the partita technically, but there are plenty of other Bach movts, especially in the Partitas, which are equally tricky. Some virtuosi cannot but help thrill themselves and others with their technical mastery: it doesn't always do justice to the music.

Grade 8 ABRSM is not just an estimate, it's actually one of the List A exam pieces for grade 8 2011/2012 smile

aim for the moon - if you miss, at least you'll be among the stars.
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Personally, I find that the Courante from the c minor partita, is the movement that always has me flummoxed. It seems beyond my comprehension, for some reason.

Notwithstanding the measure where the middle voice alternates between the left and right hands in tenths, I find the Capriccio to be loads of fun to perform.

Just be patient - and when practicing, don't raise the tempo until you are absolutely comfortable with where everything sits under your hands.

Piano instruction and performance
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Try the courante with the quavers somewhat notes inegales. This may alter your sense of the rhythm of it. I have never quite had the courage actually to play it like that, but it may help to get into the swing of it. Literally. Remember too that it's in 3/2 time - there are a lot of incidental passing notes.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by sandalholme
Try the courante with the quavers somewhat notes inegales. This may alter your sense of the rhythm of it. I have never quite had the courage actually to play it like that, but it may help to get into the swing of it. Literally. Remember too that it's in 3/2 time - there are a lot of incidental passing notes.

Ha! I probably lack the guts for that one. I guess the trick would be doing it without losing one iota of melancholy grace: A challenge in subtlety I'm not that sure I'm up for

Piano instruction and performance

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission