Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1635184 - 03/06/11 08:28 PM Yann Tiersen-Hey Monica!
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: not in Japan anymore
Monica (and anyone else) have you ever played La Valse d'Amelie? I'm just listening to it now, it's a great piece. I'm wondering how hard it is compared to other pieces of this sort.

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1635246 - 03/06/11 09:38 PM Re: Yann Tiersen-Hey Monica! [Re: ShiroKuro]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
Here is a very high quality version of it. Looks like a lot of work, but worth the effort.

#1635251 - 03/06/11 09:46 PM Re: Yann Tiersen-Hey Monica! [Re: ShiroKuro]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
it's easy.. really

love and peace, ├Ľun (apple in Estonian)

#1635266 - 03/06/11 10:16 PM Re: Yann Tiersen-Hey Monica! [Re: ShiroKuro]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Hmmm.... "easy" wouldn't be the word I'd use for it, but it's not insurmountably difficult. It's not quite as fast as some of Tiersen's other pieces, e.g., the Tabarly album. I tried to sight-read it once, didn't get too far, and decided it would take more effort to learn than I wanted to expend at the time, so I put it away in my "to learn later" pile. It's a pretty big pile. laugh

Speaking of Tiersen, I bought his most recent album, "Dust Lane." It's markedly different in tone than "Amelie" and his earlier work. Apparently he was striving to hit the American adult alternative market with it, but I gather that a lot of fans weren't too happy about the switch. I like the album a lot, even though it doesn't have any good solo piano potential.

#1635296 - 03/06/11 10:59 PM Re: Yann Tiersen-Hey Monica! [Re: ShiroKuro]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Mark, thanks for that YouTube! It's great to see the hands. (Plus, I want to know who that kid is, and how it is that he is able to make those cool black and white videos with that beautiful piano!)

I just read through the score with the music playing again (after watching the YouTube kid's perfect hands!)

I would say, at least for me, that although this music has more "notes" (i.e more variety in melodic lines) than the Comptine piece, it looks like this one would ultimately be easier to play. (I still get tension with Comptine and am nowhere near where I'd want to be to record it). I think what Monica said is right though, it would take a little longer to get the piece into your fingers probably. Funny how that stuff works. Comptine was in my fingers and in my brain in like a day, and after about a week, that piece, in terms of what's on the page, is just so "simple" (which is not to say that it's easy to play).

Monica, what's the Tabarly album?? I haven't heard of Dust Lane either, I take it it's not solo piano? Have you heard his music from the movie Good-Bye Lenin? I have not seen the movie, but my mother just watched it and she was telling me about the music, which is what made me go back and listen to this Valse.

I'm working on a few pieces that are in various stages of completion (i.e. none of them are complete!) but maybe I'll try to play through La Valse D'Amelie when spring break starts. If it seems reasonable, I'll put it on my practice menu. If it's too hard, it'll have to join my pile of future pieces!

P.S. remember to use your filter when Apple says something is easy, she can play anything! smile

#1635307 - 03/06/11 11:10 PM Re: Yann Tiersen-Hey Monica! [Re: ShiroKuro]
Monica K. Offline

"Tabarly" is a soundtrack he did. Musically, it's a lot like "Goodbye, Lenin." Here's the title track; the rest of the music is similar in theme/melody, just different tempos and instrumentation.

"Dust Lane" was meant, I think, to be his entree into the album charts. Not sure it succeeded, but I like it. heart My favorite song on the album is "Palestine." The first time I heard it, I thought it was horrible. The lyrics, btw, consist of nothing but spelling out the word "Palestine." The third or fourth time I heard it I started humming it. Then I found myself hitting "repeat" on the iPod. It's strangely captivating.

I like "Goodbye, Lenin," quite a bit. The movie is very enjoyable, too. It's a comedy about a family in Eastern Germany whose mother falls in a coma before the Wall comes down. When she comes out of the coma, the doctors warn that she should not be stressed out, so the family goes to great lengths to hide the collapse of the Soviet Union.

#1635319 - 03/06/11 11:30 PM Re: Yann Tiersen-Hey Monica! [Re: ShiroKuro]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I'm listening to Palestine right now. This sounds a lot like stuff I used to listen to when I was in high school (and wore all black and shaved my head! Not that there's anything wrong with that! grin )

But I can see how it would grow on you, and I can also hear how it's Tiersen-esque, in its own way! I bet no one will remember this, but several years ago, I posted a link to a Japanese commercial with this really intense piano music (the commercial was for Kumon, I'll have to see if I can find it online). Somehow, this reminds me of that.

It's been a long time since I listened, but I'm thinking the Tabarly music reminds me of Glass's music for the Hours. Both are like right at the edge of the kind of music I like, a little bit too minimalist at times, perfect at others.

#1635321 - 03/06/11 11:35 PM Re: Yann Tiersen-Hey Monica! [Re: ShiroKuro]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Ooh, I found the music from the TV commercial I mentioned above! Way back when, I emailed with this pianist, and he said he had considered releasing sheet music for it, but I don't remember what ever happened. (I still have the email, back from 2006).

Anyway, give a listen if you have a minute, this is the full piece, not the commercial! The piano and the video are both his creations.

Takagi Masakatsu "Girls"

(How do you embed a YouTub video??)

#1635479 - 03/07/11 08:42 AM Re: Yann Tiersen-Hey Monica! [Re: Monica K.]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Originally Posted By: Monica K
...My favorite song on the album is "Palestine." The first time I heard it, I thought it was horrible.

Sometimes first impressions are the best impressions...

Originally Posted By: Monica K
I like "Goodbye, Lenin," quite a bit. The movie is very enjoyable, too. It's a comedy about a family in Eastern Germany whose mother falls in a coma before the Wall comes down. When she comes out of the coma, the doctors warn that she should not be stressed out, so the family goes to great lengths to hide the collapse of the Soviet Union.

You'd think she'd jump for joy at that great news - but I guess even that reaction could be "stressful" in a way...

JF

As good at piano as I am at golf - very high handicap!

#1635524 - 03/07/11 10:04 AM Re: Yann Tiersen-Hey Monica! [Re: ShiroKuro]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ShiroKuro

(How do you embed a YouTub video??)

Go to full reply, and click the blue box. It then gives you the option of the different video services including u tube.

#1635555 - 03/07/11 10:36 AM Re: Yann Tiersen-Hey Monica! [Re: ShiroKuro]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Ahh, the one that says "enter a media tag" I was wondering what that was, but didn't actually click. Now I can see that it gives you several video options. Thanks, good to know! Let's see if it works. Here's the Takagi video again, please watch it, I'll be curious to hear what people think!

#1635617 - 03/07/11 12:06 PM Re: Yann Tiersen-Hey Monica! [Re: ShiroKuro]
Monica K. Offline

Originally Posted By: ShiroKuro
I'm listening to Palestine right now. This sounds a lot like stuff I used to listen to when I was in high school (and wore all black and shaved my head! Not that there's anything wrong with that! grin )

Shiro, I think I can speak for the entire forum that we will not believe this statement without photographic evidence of you with a shaved head! eek

There are other songs on "Dust Lane" that are a lot closer to Tiersen's usual style.

I liked that Takagi piece a lot, but it sounded like a nightmare to play. Was the video supposed to have all the jumbled up colors or is that my computer acting up again?

#1635628 - 03/07/11 12:24 PM Re: Yann Tiersen-Hey Monica! [Re: ShiroKuro]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Shiro, I think I can speak for the entire forum that we will not believe this statement without photographic evidence of you with a shaved head!

Monica, let me think about that. I have a few photos, but they are excellent blackmail material!

Re the Takagi piece, yep, I think it would be a nightmare to play! I guess I was pretty optimistic back in 2006 when I thought I could tackle it. Now, I listen to it and I can just imagine the pain and suffering it would cause me! Ah the wisdom that time brings! whome

Re the video, nope not your computer, that's Takagi's "visual" art, he does video installations, or did, I don't know how active he is these days!

#1636157 - 03/07/11 11:35 PM Re: Yann Tiersen-Hey Monica! [Re: ShiroKuro]
wower Offline

Loc: Calgary
I did some digging and couldn't find the score for solo piano played in 2nd post.

Yann Tiersen - La Valse d'Amelie

I'm not sure if it's found in the Six Pieces for Piano vol. 1 and 2 seen on sheetmusicplus and thus turn to the giant brain that is painoworld for confirmation.

#1636381 - 03/08/11 08:12 AM Re: Yann Tiersen-Hey Monica! [Re: ShiroKuro]
GlassLove Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
I have Yann Tiersen six pieces pour piano Volume 2 and it contains:

Comptine d'un autre ete: l'apres-midi
Le Moulin
La Dispute
Sur le fil
La Valse d'Amelie
Comptine d'ete No 2

It wasn't cheap....I got it at sheetmusicplus, but it is a beautifully produced collection of music. Very high quality paper and the book remains flat when opened. It also has a very nice print, both in terms of its darkness and its font.

#1636864 - 03/08/11 07:04 PM Re: Yann Tiersen-Hey Monica! [Re: GlassLove]
wower Offline

Loc: Calgary
^^^ Booya! much appreciated. smile

#1636944 - 03/08/11 08:51 PM Re: Yann Tiersen-Hey Monica! [Re: Monica K.]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
Quote:
ShiroKuro: "This sounds a lot like stuff I used to listen to when I was in high school (and wore all black and shaved my head! Not that there's anything wrong with that! grin )
'

I'll just tuck that tidbit of info away for another time. Carry on!

#1636982 - 03/08/11 10:08 PM Re: Yann Tiersen-Hey Monica! [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: mr_super-hunky

I'll just tuck that tidbit of info away for another time. Carry on!

I am in trouble now!!

whome

#1637196 - 03/09/11 07:41 AM Re: Yann Tiersen-Hey Monica! [Re: ShiroKuro]
PianoFran Offline

Loc: Norwich, NY
I have been working on this piece (La Valse d'Amelie). I find it somewhat difficult, but I play it well enough to please myself and have fun doing it. Took me about 3 weeks to get to that point. I also play other songs from the move "Amelie" that I find not as hard and also very beautiful.
The recording you posted (with the young guy) is not my favorite recording of this song, I have found ones I like better. To me, he plays it mechanically without much feeling. Just my opinion.

#1637324 - 03/09/11 11:08 AM Re: Yann Tiersen-Hey Monica! [Re: ShiroKuro]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

PianoFran, and all, I am going to start working on this piece, probably tomorrow night (I actually need to study for a midterm tonight, kick me off ABF!) Then we go on Spring Break, so I am hoping to get a fast start to La Valse and make some progress on other pieces before school starts up again.

I picked through it one handed just now, and then listened again while following along with the score. It's conceptually very simple (just like Comptine), but it really needs a certain tempo to bring out what's most beautiful in the music. My score says 150 for the middle part, but there are only eighth notes (or slower) so that should be doable. Also, it looks a lot like some of the exercises in my Alfred's Complete Scale book grin so I am going to approach the middle sections like I do scales, as pieces of music theory. Then I am going to work on the piece from the middle out, and try to apporach it both as exercises in theory and as music.

Monica, I bet if you did that it would seem much easier than it did the first time you tried it.

Quote:
I play it well enough to please myself and have fun doing it.

That's such a good way to put it! It's like that's one stage of the process of polishing a piece, and sometimes motivation depends on how quickly we can get to that point. I suspect if I can get the tempo up to 120 in a fairly short amount of time, that I will get to that stage quickly. And if I can't get the tempo up there, then I will probably feel more frustrated than I anticipated! smile

I'll have to report back, say around March 11th.

#1638016 - 03/10/11 07:41 AM Re: Yann Tiersen-Hey Monica! [Re: ShiroKuro]
Cryptkeeper Offline

Loc: Belgium
Hmmm, I can play the piece but not as good as I want it to be. The biggest problem I have is that my left arm gets tired towards the end of the piece and therefore can't keep up the tempo. My right arm has no problems.
It's a beautifull piece and I would certainly reccomend it.

#1638093 - 03/10/11 09:53 AM Re: Yann Tiersen-Hey Monica! [Re: ShiroKuro]
Monica K. Offline

Hey Cryptkeeper! It's great to hear from you again. smile I'm still indebted to you for introducing me to "Her Most Beautiful Smile" (man, I haven't played that in ages... I've got to dig it out again).

I'm guessing "La Valse..." will have to wait. I just received in the mail my long-anticipated collection of Battlestar Galactica themes arranged personally by Bear McCreary for solo piano, so I'm eager to dive into them. I'm starting with the "Roslin and Adama" theme which has some lovely chord progressions.

#1638162 - 03/10/11 11:57 AM Re: Yann Tiersen-Hey Monica! [Re: ShiroKuro]
Cryptkeeper Offline

Loc: Belgium
Wow Monica, you still remember me? Well, I still remember that you were eager to start the piece. smile
I still play it from time to time, it hasn't lost it's charm. I probably have an avarage post count of 3 posts a year but I still frequently visit the forum (still the best piano forum out there).

I must say I'm very curious to the BG themes that you'll learn. I love the show...
Have fun learning them and really looking forward to a recording!

#1638166 - 03/10/11 12:07 PM Re: Yann Tiersen-Hey Monica! [Re: ShiroKuro]
Monica K. Offline

If we consider soundtracks to be sort of new agey, this isn't quite so off-topic... laugh

The collection includes arrangements of the following pieces:

* Allegro
* Apocalypse
* Battlestar Muzaktica
* Battlestar Operatica
* Battlestar Sonatica
* Dreilide Thrace Sonata No. 1
* Elegy
* Kara Remembers (one piano, four hands)
* Passacaglia
* Pegasus
* Prelude To War
* A Promise To Return
* Resurrection Hub
* Roslin And Adama
* The Shape Of Things To Come
* Something Dark Is Coming
* Violence And Variations
* Wander My Friends
* Worthy Of Survival

That's the good news. The bad news is that the arrangements are pretty hard. frown I won't be able to play some of them without a lot of effort. However, McCreary took mercy on all us adult beginners and included as a bonus simplified versions of "Roslin and Adama" and "Wander my friends." I've cobbled together a mishmash of the hard and easy "Roslin and Adama" versions that works pretty well.

#1638212 - 03/10/11 01:05 PM Re: Yann Tiersen-Hey Monica! [Re: ShiroKuro]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Here is another high quality Yann Tiersen piece. This guy is excellent:

#1638252 - 03/10/11 02:37 PM Re: Yann Tiersen-Hey Monica! [Re: ShiroKuro]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

YAY!!! I am finished with midterms! (Well, I'm finished with my in-class midterms, I have a take-home, but that's ok.)

I am going to start La Valse tonight!! Woo hoo!! grin

#1638505 - 03/10/11 11:38 PM Re: Yann Tiersen-Hey Monica! [Re: ShiroKuro]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Yay! Finished midterms (don't ask me about the take-home midterm!)

I spent some time working through La Valse tonight, making rehearsal sections, and I've decided (surprise!) to start in the middle. It's too soon to tell how challenging this is going be. But I have to say, Tiersen's music is so.. simple... conceptually. I work through the score, there's nothing that's hard to understand (Comptine is the same). But then you try to play it at tempo, and of course it's a different story!

But there's something about Tiersen's music, it's like, the simpler the music is, the harder it is to play it!!

#1638596 - 03/11/11 05:33 AM Re: Yann Tiersen-Hey Monica! [Re: ShiroKuro]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Congatulations on finishing midtems and have fun working on "La Valse" thumb

Let us hear eventually how you do with this interesting piece.

JF

As good at piano as I am at golf - very high handicap!

#1638842 - 03/11/11 12:39 PM Re: Yann Tiersen-Hey Monica! [Re: ShiroKuro]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

JF, this one I can imagine recording eventually, even though I still can't play Comptine well enough to want to record it for sharing!

Though hopefully I'm not being overly-optimistic about La Valse!

#1639167 - 03/11/11 09:18 PM Re: Yann Tiersen-Hey Monica! [Re: ShiroKuro]
blueston Offline

Loc: MA, USA
Just chiming in that I like this song La Valse D'Amelie very much also. It's one of my favorite Tiersen ones.

I tried it about a year ago and got most of it but never quite finished it. Playing hands separate is fairly easy enough, I was able to do that. But I never put in the time to get it perfect hands together, especially the part at the end where the arpeggio 9th chords get all freaky with octaves jumping around in the right hand. It's not insurmountably difficult I don't think, but I just never took the time to break it down measure by measure so it would sink in. But I do plan to return to it someday and finish it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
106 registered (angga888, antony, Ashish, Anne'sson, accordeur, 31 invisible), 1254 Guests and 47 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153619 Topics
2251505 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Noodling board
by Maarkr
04/20/14 10:20 PM
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
04/20/14 10:17 PM
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
04/20/14 08:18 PM
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
04/20/14 08:09 PM
DEBUSSY-"Serenade for the Doll" from 'Children's Corner'
by Hal Freedman
04/20/14 07:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission