Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#1635664 - 03/07/11 01:08 PM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: Monica K.]
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: chicago, il
Originally Posted By: Monica K.
It could make a great doctoral dissertation in communications, if anybody's looking for a topic. wink

monica, already been done, in a most amusing format:

http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1635665 - 03/07/11 01:09 PM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: Pogorelich.]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
As a military veteran I can (and often do) swear like a sailor - but am able to restrain myself when posting on the internet. We have a broad spectrum of folks participating in PW - and we should behave accordingly - which includes avoiding profanities and being civil to each other. So what's the big deal???? crazy

#1635668 - 03/07/11 01:12 PM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: carey]
beet31425 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
Originally Posted By: carey
As a military veteran I can (and often do) swear like a sailor - but am able to restrain myself when posting on the internet. We have a broad spectrum of folks participating in PW - and we should behave accordingly - which includes avoiding profanities and being civil to each other. So what's the big deal???? crazy

I totally agree. It's mind-boggling. smile

-J
Liszt Petrarch 104.

#1635670 - 03/07/11 01:14 PM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: beet31425]
Mark_C Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: beet31425

I wouldn't have minded as much (maybe not at all) if it had been announced and explained rather than having it take us by surprise.

#1635674 - 03/07/11 01:21 PM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: Mark_C]
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark_C

I wouldn't have minded as much (maybe not at all) if it had been announced and explained rather than having it take us by surprise.

Yes, I'd vote for more transparent communication from the moderators to the masses in general-- simple, clear statements about software changes, permanent and temporary bans, that sort of thing. But... their site, their rules. No problem with that.

-J
Liszt Petrarch 104.

#1635677 - 03/07/11 01:26 PM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: Mark_C]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Understood.

I felt the same way recently when our health insurance plan (for which I pay an arm and leg every month) stopped covering "massage" in conjunction with chiropractic services - and didn't bother to notify us in advance. What a pain !! grin

#1635700 - 03/07/11 01:56 PM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: Pogorelich.]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
I was being sarcastic with my earlier post, FYI, and just as we should respect those who preach "proper and clean writing", we should respect the choice of those who like to express themselves in a different manner. It's a two way street.

Besides, there's no good word to substitute "[censored]!!!" when you happen to be particularly ticked off about something. And why should anyone take offense to that is beyond me. They're words, they're not directed AT anybody.

Plus, if I say "[censored] you" it can be just as offensive as being able to type the word itself. Moreover, it can even be MORE offensive because you don't exactly know what I wrote, but I'm sure you can let your imagination run wild... I honestly don't see the big deal; after all most of it is in good humour - a concept lost on some people.

Edited by Pogorelich. (03/07/11 01:57 PM)

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#1635704 - 03/07/11 02:04 PM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: Pogorelich.]
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Beautiful San Diego, CA
You can click on 'Quote' for any post you want to see the actual curse words on. For instance, click 'Quote' on Angie's post and you can read what she wrote verbatim.

#1635707 - 03/07/11 02:08 PM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: Pogorelich.]
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
Originally Posted By: Pogorelich.
Plus, if I say "[censored] you" it can be just as offensive as being able to type the word itself. Moreover, it can even be MORE offensive because you don't exactly know what I wrote, but I'm sure you can let your imagination run wild... I honestly don't see the big deal; after all most of it is in good humour - a concept lost on some people.

Angelina, I just discovered something about the forum censoring software. It only applies to how it's viewed. If I want to know exactly what you said I just quote a reply and it will be there in the editing pane. Your words do not actually get changed in the archive, just how it's viewed in the forum. So I can truthfully respond I'd love to, but the age difference would be awkward.

#1635708 - 03/07/11 02:08 PM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: eweiss]
Mark_C Online   content

Originally Posted By: eweiss
You can click on 'Quote' for any post you want to see the actual curse words on. For instance, click 'Quote' on Angie's post and you can read what she wrote verbatim.

Heck! I discovered that myself before when I quoted a post by Pogo.

And if people want to see what I really typed for that first word up there (where it says "heck"), all they have to do is look..... smile

#1635711 - 03/07/11 02:10 PM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: Pogorelich.]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
I honestly don't see the big deal.

That's exactly how I feel about the other side of the argument. The world isn't going to end because someone can't say **** in a PM on an internet forum. smirk
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1635718 - 03/07/11 02:17 PM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: Pogorelich.]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I was being sarcastic with my earlier post, FYI, and just as we should respect those who preach "proper and clean writing", we should respect the choice of those who like to express themselves in a different manner. It's a two way street.

Isn't it really more about what is "appropriate" for a forum in which 12 and 13 year olds sometimes participate ??

#1635721 - 03/07/11 02:19 PM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: carey]
TheHappyMoron Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK

Isn't it really more about what is "appropriate" for a forum in which 12 and 13 year olds sometimes participate ??

Not just 12 and 13 year olds but people in general who find such language offensive.

#1635724 - 03/07/11 02:20 PM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: Pogorelich.]
TheHappyMoron Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Just for the record i couldn't care less, but i try to save using bad language for my friends who also don't care and avoid using in front of people who do.

Edited by TheCannibalHaddock (03/07/11 02:21 PM)

#1635726 - 03/07/11 02:21 PM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: TheHappyMoron]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: TheCannibalHaddock

Not just 12 and 13 year olds but people in general who find such language offensive.

True.

#1635748 - 03/07/11 02:45 PM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: BruceD]
Mark_C Online   content

Originally Posted By: BruceD
I'm puzzled that some people think that the use of profanity in their writing makes their communication more effective.

That's actually a more interesting subject than might meet the eye. smile

First of all I imagine you'd say the same thing about using it in their speaking too.
So let's talk about the whole thing.....

Maybe this will be taking what you said too literally, but you're implying that the only reason to do or not do something in communication is for "effectiveness." How about for expressing oneself, and for the feeling that you get from expressing it a certain way? (and avoiding the stifling effect of being inhibited from expressing a feeling)? I would suggest that this is also a strong reason for ways of communicating. We might disagree on how large a portion that should be, but if you disagree that it's any portion, IMO you would be mistaken.

Once we acknowledge that this reason is also in there, to any extent, the subject becomes up for grabs.

P.S. For what it's worth, in "The King's Speech," the ability to let loose with obscenities was portrayed as being important (or at least not irrelevant) to his getting over his problem -- and I agree with that, although this can be taken to simplistic extremes -- and, by extension, we might say that in general, overly inhibiting such communication isn't good for the human condition. Sure, lines need to be drawn. But IMO it doesn't make it to say flat-out that there's no good reason for such expressiveness.

#1635751 - 03/07/11 02:49 PM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: Mark_C]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Originally Posted By: eweiss

Heck! I discovered that myself before when I quoted a post by Pogo.

And if people want to see what I really typed for that first word up there (where it says "heck"), all they have to do is look..... smile

LOL It is true... shocked This way people will notice swearing even more because they will be curious and quote passages to know what the word was...

Music is my best friend.

#1635755 - 03/07/11 02:54 PM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: Mark_C]
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Beautiful San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By: BruceD
I'm puzzled that some people think that the use of profanity in their writing makes their communication more effective.

That's actually a more interesting subject than might meet the eye. smile

It's a great subject. If we're talking about 'communication' and getting meaning across, then I'd say slang can say more in one word than an author can elegantly write in a few sentences.

That said, this is a public forum. smile

#1635756 - 03/07/11 02:55 PM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: Pogorelich.]
leemax Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: pacific nw, usa
I agree with Mr. Haddock, in that I really have nothing against foul language, but I reserve my use of it for when I'm alone or with someone who I know will not be offended by it and who can understand the spirit in which I'm using it. I'm also happy to not see it on internet forums (fora?) because there already is too much drama and uncivil behavior, and foul language especially without benefit of any non-verbal cues, only tends to fan the flames.

#1635764 - 03/07/11 03:02 PM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: TheHappyMoron]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
...i couldn't care less...

While we're on the subject of language, THANK YOU for getting this phrase correct. It's one of my pet peeves. laugh
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1635769 - 03/07/11 03:09 PM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: Kreisler]
Devane Offline

Loc: Ireland
Originally Posted By: Kreisler

While we're on the subject of language, THANK YOU for getting this phrase correct. It's one of my pet peeves. laugh

David Mitchell - Dear America...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw&t=0m55s

The graph is hilarious.

#1635771 - 03/07/11 03:17 PM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: Kreisler]
Mark_C Online   content

Was one of mine too, till I realized (I think) the probable origin of the other way: sarcasm. (It works perfectly if considered that way.)

Which in fact is the tone in which it is usually stated, although I don't think the user is usually thinking of the wording as sarcastic rather than literal.

Just a thought. smile

#1635776 - 03/07/11 03:28 PM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: Kreisler]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Folks who get this wrong are simply being "careless."

#1635793 - 03/07/11 03:43 PM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: Pogorelich.]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
In everyday live communication, I, and some friends, might let loose.

But on a public forum, I don't see the need.

A recently banned young one used the f word in two subsequent posts. It was so not needed. And not welcome on a forum such as this. That word was NOT substituted. But should have been.

PM's though area a different matter.

On the forum itself, h... should not have a substitute word. 'Censored' as a replacement is perfect and probably relieves those on duty to have to do it for each post.

#1635794 - 03/07/11 03:45 PM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: Kreisler]
TheHappyMoron Offline
1000 Post Club Member

You're welcome!

#1635795 - 03/07/11 03:46 PM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: Pogorelich.]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
just guessing a list of censored words

[censored]
[censored]
[censored]
[censored]
[censored]
[censored]
[censored]
[censored]
[censored]
[censored]

love and peace, ├Ľun (apple in Estonian)

#1635796 - 03/07/11 03:47 PM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: Pogorelich.]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
My whole point is that people are overreacting way too much.. As if 12 and 13 year olds never heard those words before. Oh well, the original point was PMs, which should not be censored seeing how they're not public. Hence you should get rid of the whole thing, since it affects PMs too. I never thought "bad" or "foul" language was a problem in the public forums in the first place.. People usually put signs or don't do it at all.

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#1635812 - 03/07/11 03:59 PM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: Pogorelich.]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Funny side note as to the linguistic aspect of profanities: I can swear pretty "good" in English, may be not as good as carey, but still.. Of course I do it infrequently, never in writing, and it usually happens in the face of repetitive idiocy.. But, English is not my first language (something like third), and I would be dead or tomato red if swearing or cursing in these other languages I am fluent in. It is funny: cursing in English does vent out some steam but the social stigma and etiquette associated with poor language do not carry over, it would seem..

As for censorship, I am allergic to it in general. But I definitely do not enjoy reading profanities. So a way to curtail that, be it manually or grossly via substitution, is acceptable.

However, and I do repeat myself, transparency in policing is important.

#1635818 - 03/07/11 04:06 PM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: TheHappyMoron]
Mark_C Online   content

You're welcome!

LOLOLOL!!!
Even though back in the day I was a 'spelling bee champ' (which isn't worth the paper it's not printed on) ha I only just recently learned that it's not your welcome. smile

#1635823 - 03/07/11 04:11 PM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: Kreisler]
3000 Post Club Member

Well I could care less about that....

(No really: I care about it a fair amount, so it's possible for me to care less....)

-J
Liszt Petrarch 104.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
141 registered (Almaviva, ABC Vermonter, AmateurBob, ando, 39 invisible), 1506 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74318 Members
42 Forums
153716 Topics
2253420 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
GH1 tuning pin torque
by awyaks
04/24/14 11:38 PM
Will you take Manhattan?
by davefrank
04/24/14 11:31 PM
Growing student
by pianoplayer84
04/24/14 11:19 PM
Our first piano acquisition- Yamaha U3
by Manutabora
04/24/14 07:56 PM
Yamaha Grand buying choices
by BrianDX
04/24/14 07:35 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission