Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#1635481 - 03/07/11 08:43 AM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: Pogorelich.]
izaldu Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc:
I just don ´t get how anyone can put "privacy" and "internet" in the same sentence. Or expect these two terms to be together. Please. I understand the banning of certain members may displease some , but come on.

Having said that, when changes such as these take place, maybe users should be informed. Although i don t see the big deal about swear words being erased. I swear way too much, and i definitely know it adds nothing good to my persona. Swearing is like smoking - we may enjoy it sometimes, but most times it s useless and plain SUCKS

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1635482 - 03/07/11 08:47 AM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: Pogorelich.]
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Personally, I don't have a problem with censorship on this forum.
It is, in fact, a refreshing change to know that I can recommend anyone, be it a student,(who may well be a minor), or friend, to this forum, in the knowledge that they will not be offended, by the content.
I applaud the owner for keeping it this way, and respect his views, when stopping by, his 'house'.

If I want to converse, and I use the term loosely, in an 'adult' manner, with anyone, I would step outside of this 'house' and do so in private. PM's are not (necessarily) private, on any forum, so feel free to curse away to your heart's content, via email, Facebook, telephone, or wherever.

#1635490 - 03/07/11 09:04 AM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: Pogorelich.]
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: chicago, il
folks, this is the INTERWEB and you should assume anything you post anywhere (yes, that includes your private emails) can be read by others (sysadmins etc.), the exception being TLS & SSL encrypted services.

forewarned is forearmed.

#1635527 - 03/07/11 10:10 AM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: Entheo]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
Originally Posted By: Entheo
folks, this is the INTERWEB and you should assume anything you post anywhere (yes, that includes your private emails) can be read by others (sysadmins etc.), the exception being TLS & SSL encrypted services.

forewarned is forearmed.
thumb It's a good idea to view all of your internet posts as your public face. You never know if a potential employer can access what you post. I always question the anonymity of the internet. You never know....

Deborah

#1635534 - 03/07/11 10:16 AM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: gooddog]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Originally Posted By: gooddog

forewarned is forearmed.
thumb It's a good idea to view all of your internet posts as your public face. You never know if a potential employer can access what you post. I always question the anonymity of the internet. You never know....

Right. I'm even careful about what I say in person, too!

#1635543 - 03/07/11 10:23 AM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: gooddog]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Originally Posted By: gooddog
It's a good idea to view all of your internet posts as your public face. You never know if a potential employer can access what you post. I always question the anonymity of the internet. You never know....

I'm certainly under no allusions. I do not accept Facebook friend requests from anyone at, or associated with, my place of employment- and that applies to my former employer in London. And NEVER do I mention anything work related in a newsfeed.

For all that, I certainly access Facebook at work (so does everyone else) along with PW of course. In fact, that's what I'm doing right now!

Here's a question for someone perhaps more familiar with forum software: when you delete PMs, are they really gone or still sitting around someplace?

#1635548 - 03/07/11 10:26 AM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: Pogorelich.]
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Not 100% sure on that one, but if the recipient hasn't deleted it, also............

#1635549 - 03/07/11 10:27 AM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: izaldu]
TheHappyMoron Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: izaldu
Swearing is like smoking - we may enjoy it sometimes, but most times it s useless and plain SUCKS

There's nothing like having a roll up and a cup of tea first thing in the morning! But after that it sort of loses its novelty.

#1635552 - 03/07/11 10:32 AM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: Kreisler]
carey Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: Kreisler
Originally Posted By: Mark_C
May we ask, what precipitated this recent change? Was there some problem?

Let me give a professional opinion, which I don't think I've ever done before on here. It looks to me like the site is going slightly insane. smile

The change isn't that recent. It happened about a year ago when the software was updated I think. Overall, censoring has been a welcome addition. We try to make sure the site has a PG rating, and since it was implemented, it's greatly reduced having to fix people's posts manually.

And the forums go predictably insane about once every year or so. It might interest you to know that it's fairly predictable, and the same things happen each time. New users mysteriously pop up, posts go quasi-viral with garbage, some people leave... The topics raised in this thread have also been raised before. PM privacy, the abilities of moderators, who the site really "belongs" to, etc...

Thanks for the clarification.

As a long time government employee I learned to be very careful about what I said on the internet - including private e-mails. Anything you put out there can (and will) come back to haunt you !!

#1635554 - 03/07/11 10:35 AM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: Mark_C]
Arghhh Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Orange Soda King
....I think censoring words on PW is new now....

OK -- that explains a little surprise I had yesterday.

I typed "heck" in a post yesterday but it came out as "heck."
Nothing like that ever happened before. I mean, I'm pretty sure I said "heck" a few times in the past and it always came out before as "heck," just the way I typed it, but this time it came out as "heck."

Edit: So.....they all came out as heck.
Not that I didn't expect it. ha

P.S. If anyone doesn't know what was the word that I typed instead of "heck"......well, that's easy -- just look it up in the dictionary under.....aah, what the heck, if I type it again I'm sure it'll just come out again as "heck".....

In fact, now you never know if someone said "heck" or "heck."
(Dam, 2 hecks again.) ha

BTW: For what it's worth, IMHO it would have been good to announce the new automatic censor when it was put in. Not that much of a big deal, but it would have been a 'nice touch' rather than making us be taken by surprise.

MarkC, thanks for the good laugh! That was a hilarious post!

#1635560 - 03/07/11 10:41 AM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: Arghhh]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
The people that swear can still use "damn" and "damned."

Edited by Orange Soda King (03/07/11 10:41 AM)

#1635564 - 03/07/11 10:44 AM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: Orange Soda King]
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Probably not for much longer smile

#1635565 - 03/07/11 10:47 AM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: R0B]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: R0B

Probably not for much longer smile

laugh , I didn't think this forum was that prudish.

(I just tried out a bunch of naughty words in preview. Interesting.)

#1635567 - 03/07/11 10:49 AM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: Pogorelich.]
TheHappyMoron Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'm now tempted to start writing random swear words to see which are censored and which aren't...but i'd better not just in case i get banned.

#1635568 - 03/07/11 10:50 AM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: TheHappyMoron]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: TheCannibalHaddock
I'm now tempted to start writing random swear words to see which are censored and which aren't...but i'd better not just in case i get banned.

Do what I did above and try them out in preview without actually posting.

#1635569 - 03/07/11 10:51 AM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: TheHappyMoron]
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: TheCannibalHaddock

You will find the censor has missed a few shocked

#1635571 - 03/07/11 10:52 AM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: Pogorelich.]
izaldu Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc:
I remember i was in a private forum with 10 or 15 friends , at the time, we all studied/worked in different countries. The forum admin was a friend too, and for a laugh he used the forum options to substitute words (swear words adn member 's names mostly) with other words. The results were absolutely hilarious.

#1635572 - 03/07/11 10:53 AM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: argerichfan]
TheHappyMoron Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hahaha! the censor has missed plenty!!! some pretty offensive ones too.

#1635573 - 03/07/11 10:54 AM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: Arghhh]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: Arghhh
....I think censoring words on PW is new now....

OK -- that explains a little surprise I had yesterday.

I typed "heck" in a post yesterday but it came out as "heck."
Nothing like that ever happened before. I mean, I'm pretty sure I said "heck" a few times in the past and it always came out before as "heck," just the way I typed it, but this time it came out as "heck."

Edit: So.....they all came out as heck.
Not that I didn't expect it. ha

P.S. If anyone doesn't know what was the word that I typed instead of "heck"......well, that's easy -- just look it up in the dictionary under.....aah, what the heck, if I type it again I'm sure it'll just come out again as "heck".....

In fact, now you never know if someone said "heck" or "heck."
(Dam, 2 hecks again.) ha

BTW: For what it's worth, IMHO it would have been good to announce the new automatic censor when it was put in. Not that much of a big deal, but it would have been a 'nice touch' rather than making us be taken by surprise.

MarkC, thanks for the good laugh! That was a hilarious post!

Well, yeah, right; but enough of this heck-ling, OK, Mark? smile
Writing from Paris until 15 May, 2014

#1635574 - 03/07/11 10:55 AM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: R0B]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: R0B

You will find the censor has missed a few shocked

I tried out a few Brit-usage examples. They were missed too!

#1635593 - 03/07/11 11:28 AM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: Entheo]
bitWrangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Central TX

forewarned is forearmed.

To clarify, TLS/SSL are only transport level security devices, so while they make prevent someone from "listening in", it doesn't say anything about the format on either end of the conversation. For example, while a website may use SSL to encrypt your personal information between your web browser and their web server, they could easily store the information as plain text on their servers not to mention that your web browser may be storing the values you entered for fields on that "encrypted" page as plain text on your computer.

Bottom line, just assume anything you do on your computer can compromised and you'll be fine wink

#1635596 - 03/07/11 11:34 AM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: wr]
sandalholme Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Dorset, UK
wr: in my book, cooperative - in the ownership sense - means co-owned. This site is not co-owned. We cooperate as users in terms of giving our views of our own free will and out of the goodness of our hearts - to help others and be helped by them. But it is not a cooperative. It is a facility, presumably sustained by advertising, that we use, but we are no more co-owners of it than customers are co-owners of supermarkets. And yes, I agree that it would be nothing without us. Neither would supermarkets.

#1635610 - 03/07/11 11:52 AM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: argerichfan]
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: chicago, il
Originally Posted By: argerichfan
Here's a question for someone perhaps more familiar with forum software: when you delete PMs, are they really gone or still sitting around someplace?

usually, content that is 'deleted' isn't really, including stuff on your own machine (you'd pretty much have to reformat your HD to do that). and keep in mind that most everything on the interweb is chronologically backed up, so archives exist 'somewhere'.

Originally Posted By: bitWrangler
To clarify, TLS/SSL are only transport level security devices, so while they make prevent someone from "listening in", it doesn't say anything about the format on either end of the conversation.

quite true; thanks for clarifying bW

#1635623 - 03/07/11 12:21 PM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: Kreisler]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Originally Posted By: Kreisler
And the forums go predictably insane about once every year or so. It might interest you to know that it's fairly predictable, and the same things happen each time. New users mysteriously pop up, posts go quasi-viral with garbage, some people leave... The topics raised in this thread have also been raised before. PM privacy, the abilities of moderators, who the site really "belongs" to, etc...

I call it "silly season" on PW. I'm guessing it's not specific to PW but common in all forums. It's actually a fascinating phenomenon from a theoretical perspective: Is it just statistical clustering, i.e., a fluke due to the random distribution of internet trouble that coincides across threads? Or is it a social psychological phenomenon where a troll or flame war starts a snowballing effect until it spills over into other threads? It could make a great doctoral dissertation in communications, if anybody's looking for a topic. wink

#1635639 - 03/07/11 12:34 PM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: Pogorelich.]
leemax Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: pacific nw, usa
Monica, I too think that forum dynamics are interesting. I was part of a completely different forum (not piano related) that went so crazy in the past couple of months that I finally quit logging on, and I will probably never go back there. Lots of drama, threads getting hijacked by the same bunch of idiots, people having multiple handles, terrible abuse, insults, profanity (no censoring of four-letter-words there!)moderators and a site admin who were completely oblivious or who just didn't care, etc.
I sometimes wonder if psychology or sociology classes plant a troll on a forum so they can then study the group dynamics that result.

#1635640 - 03/07/11 12:38 PM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: Pogorelich.]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
This is not from a year ago, believe me. Up until a few days ago I could type whatever the [censored] I want, and now it shows up as [censored]. [censored]! Actually maybe this IS [censored] better since I can type the [censored] word without having to [censored] edit it before posting on the forum.

But still, not cool to have PMs like that..

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#1635642 - 03/07/11 12:40 PM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: Pogorelich.]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
And this time if we say to someone "you're full of [censored]" maybe we won't get banned?

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#1635643 - 03/07/11 12:40 PM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: Pogorelich.]
TheHappyMoron Offline
1000 Post Club Member

haha [censored] funny!

#1635646 - 03/07/11 12:48 PM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: Pogorelich.]
Mark_C Online   content

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: Pogorelich.
This is not from a year ago, believe me. Up until a few days ago I could type whatever the [censored] I want, and now it shows up as [censored]. [censored]! Actually maybe this IS [censored] better since I can type the [censored] word without having to [censored] edit it before posting on the forum.

But still, not cool to have PMs like that..

I hope Kreisler will note this closely, in view of his reply earlier. That's my strong impression too. Maybe the basic system got put in a year ago, but it seems it has become more stringent of late. (I wouldn't bet my string of poloponies on it ha but I'd bet one polopony.) The word I noticed being censored was only "aitch-ee-ell-ell," which is the only such word that I ever typed on here, and just a few times, and which I'm close to 100% sure never got changed to "heck" till the other day.

And also: It seems that a lot of people are still under the impression that the censor-thing applies only to PM's, which is incorrect.

#1635660 - 03/07/11 01:06 PM Re: Private Messages - censored? [Re: Pogorelich.]
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: Pogorelich.
And this time if we say to someone "you're full of [censored]" maybe we won't get banned?

I'm puzzled that some people think that the use of profanity in their writing makes their communication more effective.
Writing from Paris until 15 May, 2014

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
134 registered (Almaviva, accordeur, angga888, Alux, 42 invisible), 1486 Guests and 45 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153619 Topics
2251492 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Noodling board
by Maarkr
43 minutes 32 seconds ago
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
45 minutes 52 seconds ago
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
Today at 08:18 PM
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
Today at 08:09 PM
DEBUSSY-"Serenade for the Doll" from 'Children's Corner'
by Hal Freedman
Today at 07:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission