2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,142 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
D
D
Originally Posted by Kreisler
Originally Posted by TheCannibalHaddock
...i couldn't care less...

While we're on the subject of language, THANK YOU for getting this phrase correct. It's one of my pet peeves. laugh

David Mitchell - Dear America...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw&t=0m55s

The graph is hilarious.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
While we're on the subject of language, THANK YOU for getting this phrase correct. It's one of my pet peeves. laugh

Was one of mine too, till I realized (I think) the probable origin of the other way: sarcasm. (It works perfectly if considered that way.)

Which in fact is the tone in which it is usually stated, although I don't think the user is usually thinking of the wording as sarcastic rather than literal.

Just a thought. smile

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Folks who get this wrong are simply being "careless."

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
In everyday live communication, I, and some friends, might let loose.

But on a public forum, I don't see the need.

A recently banned young one used the f word in two subsequent posts. It was so not needed. And not welcome on a forum such as this. That word was NOT substituted. But should have been.

PM's though area a different matter.

On the forum itself, h... should not have a substitute word. 'Censored' as a replacement is perfect and probably relieves those on duty to have to do it for each post.

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T

You're welcome!

All theory, dear friend, is grey, but the golden tree of life springs ever green.
just guessing a list of censored words

[censored]
[censored]
[censored]
[censored]
[censored]
[censored]
[censored]
[censored]
[censored]
[censored]

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
My whole point is that people are overreacting way too much.. As if 12 and 13 year olds never heard those words before. Oh well, the original point was PMs, which should not be censored seeing how they're not public. Hence you should get rid of the whole thing, since it affects PMs too. I never thought "bad" or "foul" language was a problem in the public forums in the first place.. People usually put signs or don't do it at all.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Funny side note as to the linguistic aspect of profanities: I can swear pretty "good" in English, may be not as good as carey, but still.. Of course I do it infrequently, never in writing, and it usually happens in the face of repetitive idiocy.. But, English is not my first language (something like third), and I would be dead or tomato red if swearing or cursing in these other languages I am fluent in. It is funny: cursing in English does vent out some steam but the social stigma and etiquette associated with poor language do not carry over, it would seem..

As for censorship, I am allergic to it in general. But I definitely do not enjoy reading profanities. So a way to curtail that, be it manually or grossly via substitution, is acceptable.

However, and I do repeat myself, transparency in policing is important.

You're welcome!

LOLOLOL!!!
Even though back in the day I was a 'spelling bee champ' (which isn't worth the paper it's not printed on) ha I only just recently learned that it's not your welcome. smile

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Well I could care less about that....

(No really: I care about it a fair amount, so it's possible for me to care less....)

-J

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Mark_C
You're welcome!

LOLOLOL!!!
Even though back in the day I was a 'spelling bee champ' (which isn't worth the paper it's not printed on) ha I only just recently learned that it's not your welcome. smile

- Thanks!
- You're welcome!
- but, alas, your welcome does not sound sincere!

... and while we're on the subject:
How many times have I had to bite my electronic tongue to prevent myself from pedantically correcting those who use apostrophe + s to make the plural of a noun?
"She has three piano's in her studio."
"Beethoven wrote thirty-two sonata's."

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Originally Posted by Andromaque
However, and I do repeat myself, transparency in policing is important.

For what it's worth, I agree. When I edit posts, I always leave it "marked as edited" with a brief reason why it was done.

And for the actions taken by the admins, I try to offer explanation here when asked. Assuming I know the answer - in a number of recent threads, I get the feeling people think I know a lot more than I do. I don't commit much PW history to memory, nor do I read every post in every topic. Every now and then, people say stuff like "but last August, member X told member Y that blah blah blah and he wasn't punished, yet now member Y tells member Z that his face looks stupid and he gets his hand slapped." To be honest, I have no idea what happened last August on the forums, nor do I keep track of who said what to whom. I simply don't have the time, energy, or interest!

That being said, the admins do post about actions taken in the moderators' forum, so that's where I get my info. I don't read the moderators' forum daily, so I'm usually a couple days behind on the news.

Also, I do take concerns from members and post about them in the moderators' forum just in case they're not reading it firsthand here.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by carey
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
I was being sarcastic with my earlier post, FYI, and just as we should respect those who preach "proper and clean writing", we should respect the choice of those who like to express themselves in a different manner. It's a two way street.

Isn't it really more about what is "appropriate" for a forum in which 12 and 13 year olds sometimes participate ??

As a moderator on a forum for a certain online, browser based first person shooter that is primarily played by that demographic I can honestly say the problem lies less in abject bad language but in immature jokes and the like.

If you wanna see BAD language, try any M-rated video game out there and listen/watch the chat in online play. sick

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
There are different levels of language that can be appropriately used in a public forum and none of them needs to be formal. When it comes to the use of profanity, I can't determine whether it's an indifference, in some posters' posture, to the the sensibilities of others or whether it's a certain amount of pride in projecting a foul-mouthed persona. I probably need to repeat that I'm referring to postings on a public "family-friendly" forum. The fact that the innocent and/or naive may already have heard such profanities seems to be little justification for their use in a context such as this.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
The one i can never get my head around is whether to use "who" or "whom".

All theory, dear friend, is grey, but the golden tree of life springs ever green.

Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
My whole point is that people are overreacting way too much.. As if 12 and 13 year olds never heard those words before. Oh well, the original point was PMs, which should not be censored seeing how they're not public. Hence you should get rid of the whole thing, since it affects PMs too. I never thought "bad" or "foul" language was a problem in the public forums in the first place.. People usually put signs or don't do it at all.

Of course the vast majority of 12 and 13 year olds have heard those words before. It was no different when I was that age 50 years ago. The point is, however, that youngsters and the easily offended don't expect to be subjected to profanity on a family-oriented public forum that discusses pianos and piano playing. We should be sensitive to that.

I concur with you, however, that PMs between consenting adults are a different animal......not that I, personally, have ever used profanity in a PM... smile

Last edited by carey; 03/07/11 06:28 PM.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by BruceD
You're welcome!

LOLOLOL!!!

- Thanks!
- You're welcome!
- but, alas, your welcome does not sound sincere!

... and while we're on the subject:
How many times have I had to bite my electronic tongue to prevent myself from pedantically correcting those who use apostrophe + s to make the plural of a noun?
"She has three piano's in her studio."
"Beethoven wrote thirty-two sonata's."

One that constantly drives me crazy is people that say "for free". I got this for free. Well, no you didn't.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
it's not your welcome. smile

When people say that, I say "What about my welcome?" laugh

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I checked with Wikipedia, and this should clear up the "who vs. whom" problem once and for all:

"Traditionally, who is the subjective (nominative) form only. According to traditional prescriptive grammar, who is a subjective pronoun (subject of the side clause), and whom is the corresponding objective and dative pronoun (an object of the side clause). See also: English declension."

There will be a test . . .

Lee
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Of the 7 dirty words you cannot say on TV, 4 of them are possible to post.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_dirty_words

Do or do not. There is no try.
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission