Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2048269 - 03/14/13 03:32 PM Re: What are the best method book for adult beginner? [Re: scorpio]
Polyphonist Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: scorpio
Originally Posted By: Marc Harris
A number of reviews of the Alfred books on Amazon.com complain that they use the "Middle-C" method

This may depend on which Alfred book we are talking about. However, I am on page 105 of "Alfred's Adult All-in-One Course Level 1", and from what I can remember, only 3 (maybe 4) pages were devoted to "Middle C Position". I don't think we revisit Middle C ever again. This is just my experience.

I agree with Marc Harris that Middle C Position for too long teaches bad habits, for all the reasons he discussed (particularly the fact that the hands remain stationary and the association from the note on the score to the finger-"Oh, that one is on the second line from the bottom, so that means I use 3" and immediately playing whatever note 3 is on at the moment. wink

Polyphonist

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2048272 - 03/14/13 03:36 PM Re: What are the best method book for adult beginner? [Re: Marc Harris]
cunparis Offline

Loc: Paris, France
Originally Posted By: Marc Harris
Is this a valid concern--especially at the complete adult beginner level? Or are these reviewers just forgetting that we must learn to crawl before we walk, and walk before we run?

I'm just a beginner myself, I finished Alfred's all in one book 1 and took a break after that. But I do play from fake books twice a week. I don't know how to explain it but I play intuitively based on intervals. Whatever finger I'm playing, if the next note is one note above I know it's the next finger. If it's two notes above I know to skip a finger. I don't even think about it, it just happens.

Is there a name for this?

so I wouldn't worry about the alfred's book using positions. once you start playing music without the finger numberings you'll figure it out on your own. it becomes intuitive.

#2048275 - 03/14/13 03:43 PM Re: What are the best method book for adult beginner? [Re: cunparis]
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: cunparis
I don't know how to explain it but I play intuitively based on intervals. Whatever finger I'm playing, if the next note is one note above I know it's the next finger. If it's two notes above I know to skip a finger. I don't even think about it, it just happens.

Is there a name for this?

It's called basic sight-reading. wink

When you get to the more advanced levels of reading, instead of picking out the music note by note like this, you will, without thinking about it, be reading ahead of where you're playing, and reading a series of notes at once instead of just one at a time. This will enable you to sight read faster and more cleanly. Getting there is a gradual process. I could go on and on about this (I've actually given talks on it) but I will stop before I'm carried away with my rant. wink

Polyphonist

#2048283 - 03/14/13 03:53 PM Re: What are the best method book for adult beginner? [Re: Polyphonist]
cunparis Offline

Loc: Paris, France
Originally Posted By: Polyphonist

When you get to the more advanced levels of reading, instead of picking out the music note by note like this, you will, without thinking about it, be reading ahead of where you're playing, and reading a series of notes at once instead of just one at a time. This will enable you to sight read faster and more cleanly. Getting there is a gradual process. I could go on and on about this (I've actually given talks on it) but I will stop before I'm carried away with my rant. wink

I thought sight-reading meant when you can play music seeing it the first time.

I think of it as "playing by intervals". since i'm just seeing the interval and then playing the finger corresponding to the interval. so the playing is based on intervals and not note names.

in any case I think the alfred books are great. After book 1 I went to a classical repertoire book and i lost interest. I'm not too much into classical music. so if one prefers folk music then Alfred's is quite good.

The most important thing is to just play regularly and not stop.

#2048391 - 03/14/13 07:58 PM Re: What are the best method book for adult beginner? [Re: cunparis]
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: cunparis
Originally Posted By: Polyphonist

I thought sight-reading meant when you can play music seeing it the first time.

Your thought was correct. wink

Polyphonist

#2048456 - 03/14/13 11:01 PM Re: What are the best method book for adult beginner? [Re: scorpio]
LarryTo Offline

I suggest you look at The Piano For All Method which is very simple!

You begin with Chord based Popular Rhythm Style Piano which is very EASY but sounds incredibly like the ‘real thing’. This helps you to achieve a professional sound almost right from the start.

Once you are sounding great and having lots of fun (which motivates you to learn more) you can then expand step-by-step into Ballad style, Blues, Jazz, Ragtime, Improvisation and creating your own melodies. You will even learn how to read music AS you learn how to ‘play-by-ear’ and eventually you be able to play some amazing Classical pieces.

Visit Piano For All to learn more about training methods.

#2048794 - 03/15/13 04:41 PM Re: What are the best method book for adult beginner? [Re: thelullaby99]
alans Offline

The go-to book around here seems to be the Alfred Adult course and I don't understand why because I find it moves around too quickly. I tried the Piano Adventures Adult
books and I also didn't like them because each new piece felt too far from the last
one I had just done. So I'm now using the Piano Adventures kid's books and I find
these really easy and a gentle gradual progression. I don't mind the coloured pictures
which are kind of sweet and I just really enjoy not having to leap from one big
idea to another.

#2048796 - 03/15/13 04:55 PM Re: What are the best method book for adult beginner? [Re: alans]
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: alans
The go-to book around here seems to be the Alfred Adult course and I don't understand why because I find it moves around too quickly. I tried the Piano Adventures Adult
books and I also didn't like them because each new piece felt too far from the last
one I had just done. So I'm now using the Piano Adventures kid's books and I find
these really easy and a gentle gradual progression. I don't mind the coloured pictures
which are kind of sweet and I just really enjoy not having to leap from one big
idea to another.

Ther has been this kind of feedback before. I also remember an adult student whose teacher recommended that he use the children's book, because it was more thorough, since he was serious.

#2048914 - 03/15/13 10:56 PM Re: What are the best method book for adult beginner? [Re: keystring]
heathermphotog Offline

Loc: Georgia
Hmmm I like the Alfred adult books, but I do find them jumpy. I think I'll pick up the kids books too. Thanks for the info!

Knabe WMV247
“When you play, never mind who listens to you.” ― Robert Schumann
“The piano ain't got no wrong notes.” ― Thelonious Monk

#2049196 - 03/16/13 03:43 PM Re: What are the best method book for adult beginner? [Re: thelullaby99]
heathermphotog Offline

Loc: Georgia
OK ... so after much poring over the Alfred Premiere and Faber Piano Adventures books, I broke down this afternoon and bought Faber Piano Adventures. I bought 3A - the ones aimed at kids. And I am so glad that I did! I bought the lesson book, theory book, technique book and popular music book. I have honestly gotten so much out of just the first few pages of the lessons and technique books. I am excited to see where this leads me smile

Knabe WMV247
“When you play, never mind who listens to you.” ― Robert Schumann
“The piano ain't got no wrong notes.” ― Thelonious Monk

#2051275 - 03/20/13 10:26 AM Re: What are the best method book for adult beginner? [Re: thelullaby99]
Mete Offline

Loc: Turkey
I finished Denes Agay's "Learning To Play Piano: Book 1" in about 4 months and I am halfway through the second book and I think there are 4 of them. I can't say that these are the best series, since I haven't used any other. I consider ordering all of Alfred's Adult Piano Course All-in-One series. It's widely recommended in PW forums. I may use first book for some sight-reading and encourage my teacher to continue from second book of Alfred's instead of Denes'. Well, one reason is that, Denes Agays' book cover has some kids playing piano on it and I, as a 33 old male, have to put it between two other books. I am almost twice as old as the next oldest student and that's enough humilition. blush

Edited by Mete (03/20/13 10:36 AM)

#2051520 - 03/20/13 06:59 PM Re: What are the best method book for adult beginner? [Re: thelullaby99]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada Alberta
Hello thelullaby99,

Good morning, Good afernoon, Good evening,

I have read your post, here.

I'm looking for book teaching piano for adult beginner, self teaching. I went around Amazon and the responses for Alfred's Adult Basic are not very good, but some recommended Thompson's. My goal is to play classical pieces well, of course not too advanced but I don't want to learn 'shortcut' methods. I want to learn the proper methods.

I know nothing about Alfred's Adult Basic but thousands of piano players own it so what is awesome is that thousands of people have that book/s and can help you with questions. So if you are teaching yourself, there are countless reasons to get the book/s.

I on the other hand have had teachers for many years playing the sax, so I am cool learning to play the piano.

While it is rare that John Thompson Modern Course for the piano is seldom mentioned, I think it is awesome. I am in the first book of 5 books. It is in book 1 at page 43 that you get to play your first classical piece of Mozart and then from then on there are lots of classical pieces. It has been said that there can be for some a steep learning curve and it is fair to say that there is no fooling around. You have to go as always, slowly and accurately when you play, but the pieces are awesome to play and hear. There are 5 books of 70 pages each of music and is only 10 dollars per book. I will probably be a 100 by the time I get through book 5, but it is going to be a great journey.

Edited by Michael_99 (03/20/13 07:06 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
72 registered (Abby Pianoman, 36251, ando, A Flat Minor, AndyG123, 19 invisible), 1316 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75369 Members
42 Forums
155826 Topics
2288157 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New to the digital piano world! Can anyone help?
by blackwhitekeys
Today at 06:26 AM
Yamaha Swap For Roland ???
by musicmad
Today at 05:57 AM
midi over the internet
by chopin_r_us
Today at 04:56 AM
Theoretical tuning sequence
by DoelKees
Today at 01:01 AM
It's will never emit sounds again
by Maximillyan
Yesterday at 11:24 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission