Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1637478 - 03/09/11 02:23 PM Keyboard Arranger Recommendations
dmd Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
I am toying with the idea of purchasing a keyboard arranger, 61 key. I would welcome suggestions based on experience.

My main instrument is now a Yamaha CLP330 (GH3 style keyboard).

I would like to get one for less than $2000 and if possible, less than $1000.

Thanks.

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq 5

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#1637498 - 03/09/11 02:39 PM Re: Keyboard Arranger Recommendations [Re: dmd]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: dmd
I am toying with the idea of purchasing a keyboard arranger, 61 key. I would welcome suggestions based on experience.

My main instrument is now a Yamaha CLP330 (GH3 style keyboard).

I would like to get one for less than $2000 and if possible, less than $1000.

Thanks.

Software like "One Man Band" will emulate a Yamaha arranger keyboard and even play Yamaha format "style" files using a computer and your CLP330.

I had an older Roland arranger keyboard, well I still have it in a closet. One of the things to think about is the musical taste or lack of same of the built-in accompaniment styles. My older Roland is filed with a billion patterns that must have been popular in the 1970's disco era. These instruments contain not just sounds and voices but music. Make sure you like the music.

I prefer software on the computer for this function because I think the user interface is better and gets better with each software update. And I'm spoiled by the much larger screen size.

Edited by ChrisA (03/09/11 02:40 PM)

#1637542 - 03/09/11 03:31 PM Re: Keyboard Arranger Recommendations [Re: dmd]
Edtek Offline

Loc: El Paso
The nice thing about an arranger kb is its portability making it very good for gigs. The auto accompaniment makes it a natural for a small 1 or 2 man band. Single performers usually sing but I can't sing so I gig with a sax player :-)

I have been very happy with my Yamaha PSR-S910 (and the PSR3000 before that). It has lots of really convenient features (like unlimited named registrations, split, layers, etc.). It goes for about $1750 but 15% off deals are readily available.

There is a very good user group, PSRtutorial.com, with lots of helpful tutorials and many forum resources for getting the most out of these kbs.

That said, I only use the arranger for gigs and a little light entertaining at home. For personal pleasure at home I prefer my acoustic piano.

Ed

#1637580 - 03/09/11 04:17 PM Re: Keyboard Arranger Recommendations [Re: ChrisA]
dmd Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ChrisA
Software like "One Man Band" will emulate a Yamaha arranger keyboard and even play Yamaha format "style" files using a computer and your CLP330.

I prefer software on the computer for this function because I think the user interface is better and gets better with each software update. And I'm spoiled by the much larger screen size.

I have OMB but I thought an arranger keyboard would work better because the sound would all come through my piano speakers.
Invalid ?

Also, unfortunately, I cannot always play things right "on time" and this way, the background would "wait" for me to play the chord with my left hand before continuing. This probably is not a good reason but it is my reason.
Poor idea ?

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq 5

#1637926 - 03/10/11 02:17 AM Re: Keyboard Arranger Recommendations [Re: dmd]
galaxy4t Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, CA
Casio just released a new arranger board--WK7500 for a street price of $499. It looks to have a lot on it for the money. It has a 16 track sequencer built in and has 800 sounds with built in accompaniment and rhythms. The keys are unweighted and it has USB MIDI which you may not care for as you can only connect to a computer. Otherwise, you can look at Korg, Yamaha, Roland. The new Juno's aren't bad for the money.

#1638038 - 03/10/11 08:29 AM Re: Keyboard Arranger Recommendations [Re: dmd]
hpeterh Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Germany
Have a look at Korg PA500.
If you want to use the piano as a Master keyboard or as a second keyboard you should be most happy with this it has the most professional MIDI configurability. It looks like a toy dont let this confuse you ....

#1638229 - 03/10/11 01:42 PM Re: Keyboard Arranger Recommendations [Re: hpeterh]
funkycornwall Offline

Loc: Cornwall. UK
There is also a new Roland BK-7m auto accomp compact module which looks very interesting. This could obviously be operated from another keyboard. I am due to review it for a magazine article in the near future but have not seen the product yet.

#1638235 - 03/10/11 02:04 PM Re: Keyboard Arranger Recommendations [Re: funkycornwall]
dmd Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: funkycornwall
There is also a new Roland BK-7m auto accomp compact module which looks very interesting. This could obviously be operated from another keyboard. I am due to review it for a magazine article in the near future but have not seen the product yet.

This does look very interesting. My only concern would be how to determine if it will be able to be fully usable with my Yamaha CLP330. There may be some sounds (drums, specifically) which my digital may not be able to reproduce due to technical shortcomings.

#1638299 - 03/10/11 04:12 PM Re: Keyboard Arranger Recommendations [Re: dmd]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: dmd

This does look very interesting. My only concern would be how to determine if it will be able to be fully usable with my Yamaha CLP330. There may be some sounds (drums, specifically) which my digital may not be able to reproduce due to technical shortcomings.

I had to look this up on Roland's web site. It appears the tones are generated inside the BK-7m. It's not for sending MIDI to your piano. Your piano would send MIDI to the unit.

I still like software but it looks like the advantage of this thing is the physical knobs and buttons that are easier to use than a mouse.

That said most MIDI software can be configured to use a "control surface". You tell it to map some of the features to the surface's physical controls.

#1639665 - 03/12/11 03:22 PM Re: Keyboard Arranger Recommendations [Re: galaxy4t]
casio WKZ Offline

Originally Posted By: galaxy4t
Casio just released a new arranger board--WK7500 for a street price of $499. It looks to have a lot on it for the money. It has a 16 track sequencer built in and has 800 sounds with built in accompaniment and rhythms. The keys are unweighted and it has USB MIDI which you may not care for as you can only connect to a computer. Otherwise, you can look at Korg, Yamaha, Roland. The new Juno's aren't bad for the money.

As of this date (Saturday,12 March) Sweetwater is STILL waiting for a shipment of the WK-7500's. They're supposed to be in next week and Sweetwater reportedly has a 2x line around the block worth of pre-orders!

More features for you here:

http://www.casio.com/products/Musical_Instruments/Workstation/WK-7500/

Edited by casio WKZ (03/12/11 03:24 PM)

#1644648 - 03/20/11 11:50 AM Re: Keyboard Arranger Recommendations [Re: dmd]
dmd Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Well, as usual, my search is uncovering some other options ... more expensive (of course)...

CASIO AP620 and KAWAI MP6

Anyone with experience with either of these ?

Any thoughts on them ?

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Taking the hammers with you to do voicing.. ?
by InfiniteClouds
20 minutes 12 seconds ago
Pop instrumental
by Michael Forbes
34 minutes 54 seconds ago
How do you charge a fellow technician?
by chernobieff
Today at 06:28 PM
Question for the moderator...
by Emmery
Today at 05:57 PM
Rare Time Signatures
by caters
Today at 02:59 PM
Who's Online
119 registered (36251, accordeur, adrpiano, aesop, 30 invisible), 1475 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76383 Members
42 Forums
157898 Topics
2318957 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission