2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Cheeeeee, Carey, Dalem01, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 9 invisible), 2,030 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 175 of 187 1 2 173 174 175 176 177 186 187
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SwingCabbage

How do I do a search in just this thread. Say I want to search for 'fingering' or 'F#m9b5' or 'inner voicings'and I would like all posts with this word in it.
How can I do this. I can't work it out.

The PDF file can be searched. Acrobat Reader should have an ability to search. As far as this forum is concerned, probably no easy way so if you find something important, I will index it on page 1.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

S
S
Thanks Jazzwee.

What exactly do you mean by 'swing'.
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Interesting questions, SwingC.

I found this today:
http://www.nationaljazzworkshop.org/freestuff.php

It has a wealth of material. I'm particularly taken by the backing tracks. KISS principles - keep it simple.

T
T
SwingCabbage, a good way to search the forum is with google advanced search. Here's an example (notice the dialogue box "search within a site or domain" - enter pianoworld.com (you can also filter by date):

google advanced search

Last edited by time flies; 02/27/11 06:54 PM.
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
This thread is SOLID GOLD! A virtual paragon of demystification. I can't believe I paid it no attention for so long... saw the title many times and thought, "well, 'Autumn Leaves' isn't exactly at the top of my priority list right now." But I've finally been reading it, and WOW. Jazzwee and others, I am in your debt. I've learned more and put together more concepts just from reading through portions of this thread than from just about any other source. Bravo.

I'm certainly going to start working through this, but I need to start at the very beginning. My question, then: As I do so, can I post recordings of the early stuff, identifying where I am in the process? Or is that going to hijack the progress of the thread and be annoying to those who've been progressing through for a long time? Feel free to tell me, you won't hurt my feelings. And either way, thanks for the thread.

"Wide awake, I can make my most fantastic dreams come true..."
- Lorenz Hart
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Legal Beagle
This thread is SOLID GOLD! A virtual paragon of demystification. I can't believe I paid it no attention for so long... saw the title many times and thought, "well, 'Autumn Leaves' isn't exactly at the top of my priority list right now." But I've finally been reading it, and WOW. Jazzwee and others, I am in your debt. I've learned more and put together more concepts just from reading through portions of this thread than from just about any other source. Bravo.

I'm certainly going to start working through this, but I need to start at the very beginning. My question, then: As I do so, can I post recordings of the early stuff, identifying where I am in the process? Or is that going to hijack the progress of the thread and be annoying to those who've been progressing through for a long time? Feel free to tell me, you won't hurt my feelings. And either way, thanks for the thread.

It's not all Autumn Leaves, is it? Post away, ask questions. I'm sure those qualified to answer will answer. It's a friendly place. smile

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
TLT - thanks for handling the welcoming committee duties smile

It's pretty friendly LegalBeagle. There is no ongoing process now so people come and go and leave recordings at various phases of learning.

As you go through this, it's also gone beyond Autumn Leaves so post away!

Beyond just the people that actively post, the lurkers who download also are very busy downloading materials from this thread. The downloads are in the THOUSANDS.

This thread is like a separate website...

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
As I do so, can I post recordings of the early stuff, identifying where I am in the process? Or is that going to hijack the progress of the thread and be annoying to those who've been progressing through for a long time? Feel free to tell me, you won't hurt my feelings. And either way, thanks for the thread.

Welcome, and post away. Jazz is a continuing learning process.
It also quite fun!

S
S
Originally Posted by ten left thumbs
Interesting questions, SwingC.

I found this today:
http://www.nationaljazzworkshop.org/freestuff.php

It has a wealth of material. I'm particularly taken by the backing tracks. KISS principles - keep it simple.

Had a look at that site TLT
Vgood stuff. I have bookmarked it and will return some day.
thanks
SC

S
S
This thread is SOLID GOLD!

Hi Legal Beagle and a big Welcome.
You are bang on with your observation. Bars and Bars of solid gold.

I am only here a scant few months and the folks are fantastic. Maximum feedback. My advice is to post up your attempts at the different lessons straight away. Practice more based on the advice recieved. Improve or not as the case may be (regression will be also pointed out so it is good that you say "you won't hurt my feelings" . Listen to the new advice. Practice again. And then back to practice. Then put up your new attempt.

The thread is long. I am currently reading at page 76 having first posted about page 100.
If you want a tip on reading such a lengthy thread first look at each lesson on page 1. Then scann for places where JAzzwee has posted and then go back to the question / recording that
he is commenting on.

this will get you to the end quicker. then over the next few months you could read the whole thread again.
and again
and again.
Sometimes you dont see the Gold the first time.

Most of all. post up your practice attempts, warts and all. We all learn from them.

Enjoy the trip

Swing Cabbage

S
S
Originally Posted by time flies
SwingCabbage, a good way to search the forum is with google advanced search. Here's an example (notice the dialogue box "search within a site or domain" - enter pianoworld.com (you can also filter by date):

google advanced search

I will try it this way. Thanks Time Flies

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Thanks for the warm welcome, all. I'll hopefully get some recordings posted in the next couple of days. My pledge for lent, rather than giving something up, is to practice every single day until Easter, so the timing to start something like this couldn't be better.

And yes, SC, I'm slogging through reading the thread... slowly... thanks for the tips.

- Lorenz Hart
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Rats. I got to practice this a bit last night and wanted to record my (poor) efforts, only to find I'd left my recorder charging in my office. frown

Double-rats: I can already see this is going to take over my life. eek

- Lorenz Hart
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
OK, here we go... my first upload ever on PW.

Here's my first effort at AL, using all 1/7's...

Autumn Leaves

Sorry for the somewhat distorted recording.. the only thing that's lower quality than my recorder is my playing laugh

- Lorenz Hart
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
OK, here we go... my first upload ever on PW.

Here's my first effort at AL, using all 1/7's...

Autumn Leaves

Sorry for the somewhat distorted recording.. the only thing that's lower quality than my recorder is my playing laugh

Well done for recording! smile That sounded confident.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Nice job LegalBeagle! Time is solid and quarter notes are detached. The eighth notes should be legato though. TLT is right, there's a confidence here that shows. No hesitation at all.

In general, learn to lighten up on the LH. It should a supporting role, not the main player.

Fantastic. Great work!

My Jazz Blog

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Thanks for the quick and excellent feedback. I think the recording issue makes the LH sound even heavier than it is, but I also think you're right... I would definitely benefit from tipping the balance more toward the RH and lightening up. Seems pretty "klunky," and a more refined sound would be nice. smile

- Lorenz Hart
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Although the volume could be a "recording" issue, the tonal characteristics are clearly apparent on the LH chords and suggests the dynamics. My teacher suggests Chopin Em Prelude as a good piece to control LH chords. smile

Still, quite a good job here.

My Jazz Blog

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Just downloaded Em Prelude... looks perfectly suited to the task, thanks. Also handy that it's in the same key as AL!

- Lorenz Hart
S
S
Excellent Legal Beagle. Excellent.
Keep posting

Page 175 of 187 1 2 173 174 175 176 177 186 187

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission