Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1638996 - 03/11/11 04:41 PM How do you name a pianist who plays chamber music?
Mati Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lodz, Poland
Hi!

Sorry for this stupid question... but I am helping my friend with his english text about himself. He is a classically trained pianist who works both as a soloist and a chamber musician, accompanying other soloists, singers and working with trios, quartets and quintets.

We are wondering what would be a best choice to describe who he actually is.

We are thinking of:

1) classical pianist and chamber musician
2) pianist and chamber musician
3) classical and chamber pianist
4) "just" pianist

But as I am not native speaker by any means, we would really appreciate some insights and help smile How would you name such a person?

A versatile "pianist" works everywhere, but we would like to put a little emphasis on the chamber bit of it, mostly for Google searchability sake.

Thanks!

M.
Kawai CN21 (digital), Henryk Yamayuri Kawai NX-40 (grand)

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1639004 - 03/11/11 04:51 PM Re: How do you name a pianist who plays chamber music? [Re: Mati]
feebeeliszt Offline

Loc: London
I would say concert pianist + chamber musician

#1639013 - 03/11/11 05:05 PM Re: How do you name a pianist who plays chamber music? [Re: Mati]
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
what about: all round pianist, solo, chamber and accomp.

Couperin pièces, Ravel tombeau de C

#1639078 - 03/11/11 06:06 PM Re: How do you name a pianist who plays chamber music? [Re: Mati]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
How about "classical solo and collaborative pianist"

Regards,

#1639092 - 03/11/11 06:34 PM Re: How do you name a pianist who plays chamber music? [Re: Mati]
Mati Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Feebee_liszt, that sounds very clean to me! I like it! Thanks smile

Dolce - nice idea, thanks. I would prefer something a bit more official though - I am not sure that "all round pianist" would look good on an official website laugh

Bruce - thanks! I will certainly think about it. Wouldn't "collaborative pianist" be to general? It seeems to me, that it could also imply a guy who is willing to play pop, reggae, or anything else. That's why I thought about chamber at first, as we are still covering mostly classical territory there.

#1639127 - 03/11/11 07:45 PM Re: How do you name a pianist who plays chamber music? [Re: Mati]
JustAnotherPianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: United Kingdom
It very much depends on what your friend wants to play.

It's a good question though.

#1639131 - 03/11/11 07:53 PM Re: How do you name a pianist who plays chamber music? [Re: Mati]
Mati Offline
1000 Post Club Member

He's working mostly with cellists, violinists and singers in classical repertoire, with appearances in piano trios, and quartets (Rachmaninoff, Schubert, et. al.), though he would like to play solo repertoire more often than he does now as well. His repertoire consists mostly of works by Schubert, Beethoven, Chopin, Rachmaninoff, Liszt, Debussy and Ravel, but actually is pretty vast.

I don't think he's into playing pop, jazz, or doing weddings or other playing during celebrations and parties at all. Solo or chamber recitals are his main concern.

That's why "concert pianist and chamber musician" sounds best from all for me now, but it might be my bias. It always bugs me how to call some musicians or people of other talents. I still clearly remember a fun thread in ABF forum, whether amateurs should call themselves "pianists" or is this going overboard - lots of interesting ideas came in ;-)

Thanks!
M.

#1639133 - 03/11/11 07:57 PM Re: How do you name a pianist who plays chamber music? [Re: Mati]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
Pianist.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1639149 - 03/11/11 08:28 PM Re: How do you name a pianist who plays chamber music? [Re: Mati]
tomasino Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota
"Collaborative pianist."

Tomasino
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do so with all thy might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

#1639154 - 03/11/11 08:39 PM Re: How do you name a pianist who plays chamber music? [Re: Mati]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
Collaborative artist.

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#1639240 - 03/11/11 11:36 PM Re: How do you name a pianist who plays chamber music? [Re: Mati]
Arghhh Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mati
Wouldn't "collaborative pianist" be to general? It seeems to me, that it could also imply a guy who is willing to play pop, reggae, or anything else. That's why I thought about chamber at first, as we are still covering mostly classical territory there.

I wouldn't think it implies playing those various styles you mentioned. You can get degrees in "Collaborative Piano", which focus solely on classical music. Collaborative pianist is now the generally accepted, politically-correct way of saying "accompanist".

I wonder though if chamber musician and collaborative pianist are different? I've never seen a bio of a high-calibre solo pianist mention "collaborative pianist", but I have seen "chamber musician" and this seems to usually only include lists of trios and quartets they play in.

Edited by Arghhh (03/12/11 12:02 AM)

#1639241 - 03/11/11 11:36 PM Re: How do you name a pianist who plays chamber music? [Re: Mati]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
One local conservatory with which I am involved has almost totally abandoned the term "piano accompanying" in its teaching of that art, replacing it with "course(s) in collaborative piano."

However, in his day, the great Gerald Moore was, as we all know, "The Unashamed Accompanist."

Regards,

#1639341 - 03/12/11 02:48 AM Re: How do you name a pianist who plays chamber music? [Re: Mati]
Lingyis Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New York, NY
wannabe soloist?

but yeah, i'm seeing the term "collaborative piano" quite a bit now. so... i'd say:

solo and collaborative pianist.

#1639351 - 03/12/11 03:49 AM Re: How do you name a pianist who plays chamber music? [Re: Mati]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Outdated musician!

(Ok only kidding! :D:D:D)

I think that pianist says it all. You can't put a title for everything you do, it's simply impossible, so you gather the ones you mostly do, or crossover others... Pianist seems fine.

#1639388 - 03/12/11 06:51 AM Re: How do you name a pianist who plays chamber music? [Re: Mati]
Mati Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks! I guess we will stick with a simple "pianist" and won't try to overdo things with naming everything smile I have also learned something new - I didn't know "collaborative pianist" is being used instead of "accompanist" commonly now.

#1639531 - 03/12/11 11:56 AM Re: How do you name a pianist who plays chamber music? [Re: Nikolas]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Lingyis
wannabe soloist?

Try again.

Originally Posted By: Nikolas
Outdated musician!

(Ok only kidding! :D:D:D)

Are we going to have an e-war? Hahahahah

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#1639629 - 03/12/11 02:33 PM Re: How do you name a pianist who plays chamber music? [Re: Mati]
J.A.S Offline

Loc: Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted By: Mati
Thanks! I guess we will stick with a simple "pianist" and won't try to overdo things with naming everything smile I have also learned something new - I didn't know "collaborative pianist" is being used instead of "accompanist" commonly now.

In case you want to reconsider...

I think there is another aspect to be taken into account. If the text is to be addressed to the international community rather than to native English speakers, you should avoid terms which are not immediately obvious, even if they are correct (or politically correct). Before reading this thread, I also didn't know the term "collaborative pianist" and my suspicion is that many of the potential readers of your text would not know it either and would not use it as a keyword.

On the other hand, "pianist" is too vague.

I would opt for "pianist (solo and chamber music)", or "pianist (solo and chamber music, accompaniment)", depending on how much stress you want to put on the latter skill.

(I pisz przymiotnik "ang." po ang. wielkÄ… literÄ… smile )

#1639703 - 03/12/11 04:24 PM Re: How do you name a pianist who plays chamber music? [Re: Mati]
Copake Offline

Loc: Columbia/Westchester Counties ...
I think of chamber music as an ensemble of equals. If the ensemble includes a pianist I don't think of that role as that of an accompanist.

That can apply even to the genre known as the "violin sonata." Both Mozart and Beethoven titled their works in that genre as Sonaten für Klavier und Violine, not the other way around.

Many concert pianists with solo careers also appear in chamber music concerts.

#1639707 - 03/12/11 04:27 PM Re: How do you name a pianist who plays chamber music? [Re: J.A.S]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
Originally Posted By: J.A.S

How is it vague? Do they play the piano? Then they're a pianist, yes? Thank you. Carry on.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1639809 - 03/12/11 07:36 PM Re: How do you name a pianist who plays chamber music? [Re: stores]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: stores

How is it vague? Do they play the piano? Then they're a pianist, yes? Thank you. Carry on.

So then would you call a repetiteur just a "pianist"? They play the piano.. =P

#1639814 - 03/12/11 07:41 PM Re: How do you name a pianist who plays chamber music? [Re: feebeeliszt]
David-G Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: feebee_liszt
I would say concert pianist + chamber musician

I like this.

#1640043 - 03/13/11 08:30 AM Re: How do you name a pianist who plays chamber music? [Re: Mati]
Drunk3nFist Offline
500 Post Club Member

Collaborative I'm guessing.

#1640053 - 03/13/11 08:48 AM Re: How do you name a pianist who plays chamber music? [Re: stores]
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: stores

I agree that it's vague. It could mean someone who plays weddings, in bars, jazz.... However, if you want to avoid confusion, you could include a rep list (as I suppose you will do), and a description of his training and previous experiences (as I suppose you will do).

#1640179 - 03/13/11 02:26 PM Re: How do you name a pianist who plays chamber music? [Re: Mati]
Mati Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: pianojerome

I agree that it's vague. It could mean someone who plays weddings, in bars, jazz.... However, if you want to avoid confusion, you could include a rep list (as I suppose you will do), and a description of his training and previous experiences (as I suppose you will do).

Yes, of course. Bio, repertoire, schedule and other elements usually found on a pianist website will be included. That said, I guess a vague "pianist" will get a strongly declared context with the surrounding text, therefore it will be clear enough.

Before reading this thread, I also didn't know the term "collaborative pianist" and my suspicion is that many of the potential readers of your text would not know it either and would not use it as a keyword.

My thoughts exactly. Making an English version of a website I am certainly considering worldwide audience and not only native speakers.

You are right, but pianojerome has a point here - the context created by surrounding text may be descriptive enough to justify this vagueness. I will give some more thoughts to this subject though, we don't need this today nor tomorrow.

Thanks for your help smile

(I pisz przymiotnik "ang." po ang. wielkÄ… literÄ… :))

Ups! Faktycznie. Dzieki za zwrocenie uwagi, kompletnie mi to umknelo. smile

#1640336 - 03/13/11 07:46 PM Re: How do you name a pianist who plays chamber music? [Re: Mati]
David-G Offline
1000 Post Club Member

From the programme of a concert this morning (Mozart sonatas for four hands):

"Katya Apekisheva is one of Europe's foremost pianists, in demand internationally as a soloist and chamber musician".

#1641679 - 03/15/11 06:00 PM Re: How do you name a pianist who plays chamber music? [Re: Mati]
Mati Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thank you!

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
71 registered (bennevis, beeboss, AZ_Astro, 23 invisible), 1254 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75334 Members
42 Forums
155767 Topics
2286962 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Multiple sound engines?
by Nordomus
55 minutes 35 seconds ago
Funny way to end a Mozart sonata...
by JoelW
Today at 04:11 AM
Would you buy a restored water damaged piano?
by upbeat
Today at 01:00 AM
Looking for Complete Gershwin Songbook
by Tony Romo
Today at 12:26 AM
Casio Privia PX850
by TX-Bluebonnet
Today at 12:19 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission