Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Yamaha CP4 Rebate
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
165 registered (accordeur, ajames, Adam Malone, Alexmos, Almaviva, 38 invisible), 1790 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1640833 - 03/14/11 03:18 PM OT: How do you people quote in those little gray boxes?
Michael Steen Offline

Loc: Sciota, Pennsylvania
OK, so my tsubject line pretty much says it all, but I feel like a total newbie here when I see people who have quoted responses, parts of responses, parts of responses within other responses, etc. and put them in those little gray boxes.
I am sure there is some easy and brainless way to do this, but I can't figure it out.
Thanks for any responses.
(And feel free to put all or part of this in a little gray box).

Edited by Michael Steen (03/14/11 03:19 PM)

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1640840 - 03/14/11 03:26 PM Re: OT: How do you people quote in those little gray boxes? [Re: Michael Steen]
findingnemo2010 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

when you want to reply to someone click quote under their reply

#1640843 - 03/14/11 03:28 PM Re: OT: How do you people quote in those little gray boxes? [Re: Michael Steen]
casinitaly Online   blank

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: Michael Steen
OK, so my tsubject line pretty much says it all, but I feel like a total newbie here when I see people who have quoted responses, parts of responses, parts of responses within other responses, etc. and put them in those little gray boxes.
I am sure there is some easy and brainless way to do this, but I can't figure it out.
Thanks for any responses.
(And feel free to put all or part of this in a little gray box).

Well on my screen they look brown, but I assume this is what you mean?
Instead of hitting reply, hit "quote" and you'll get the entire post, and then if you want you can remove the part that is irrelevant to what you want to say.
If you quote someone who is quoting someone else, it all gets "nested" .
I don't know how people do multiple quotes, except that you can put [ quote] and then [ /quote] (remove the spaces betweeen the square brackets.

Hope that helps.
Performance anxiety: make it part of your daily routine and deal with it...Cope! zrtf90

#1640867 - 03/14/11 04:00 PM Re: OT: How do you people quote in those little gray boxes? [Re: Michael Steen]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
It won't work with the "Quick Reply", so make sure you go directly to a person's post to quote it...

Music is my best friend.

#1640882 - 03/14/11 04:17 PM Re: OT: How do you people quote in those little gray boxes? [Re: ChopinAddict]

Originally Posted By: ChopinAddict
It won't work with the "Quick Reply", so make sure you go directly to a person's post to quote it...
It does work with the "Quick quote" though smile
Performance anxiety: make it part of your daily routine and deal with it...Cope! zrtf90

#1640887 - 03/14/11 04:26 PM Re: OT: How do you people quote in those little gray boxes? [Re: Michael Steen]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
And if you want to make something up, just use a square bracket [, then quote=Some Name, end bracket; then the text, and quote the /quote within square brackets:

Originally Posted By: Einstein
e=mc squared

Kawai K3

#1640922 - 03/14/11 05:20 PM Re: OT: How do you people quote in those little gray boxes? [Re: Andy Platt]
TheodorN Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sweden
Originally Posted By: Andy Platt
And if you want to make something up, just use a square bracket [, then quote=Some Name, end bracket; then the text, and quote the /quote within square brackets:

Originally Posted By: Einstein
e=mc squared

You can also highlight the text and click the button with the quatation mark on the toolbar above the area where you type your text(looks a bit like 66, the button next to the right is #.)

Like this:

Originally Posted By: myself
You can also highlight the text and click the button with the quatation mark on the toolbar above the area where you type your text(looks a bit like 66, the button next to the right is #.)

http://www.youtube.com/user/thenorbass1

Casio PX-5S

#1640944 - 03/14/11 05:54 PM Re: OT: How do you people quote in those little gray boxes? [Re: casinitaly]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: casinitaly
It does work with the "Quick quote" though smile

Yes, but you still have to go back to that post... Which is obvious anyway... smile

Music is my best friend.

#1640947 - 03/14/11 05:57 PM Re: OT: How do you people quote in those little gray boxes? [Re: TheodorN]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Pianotehead

True... I knew, but I had almost forgotten. whistle So we have three ways to quote something... What a cool board! thumb

Music is my best friend.

#1640952 - 03/14/11 06:05 PM Re: OT: How do you people quote in those little gray boxes? [Re: ChopinAddict]

True... I knew, but I had almost forgotten. whistle So we have three ways to quote something... What a cool board! thumb

Sorry, I don't get it.
If I hit reply to this post, then I see the text under my reply. If I hightlight text and hit the "66" smile quote box, I see the "quote unquote" codes, but they appear in the "original" post, not mine when I preview.
I tried about 3 different ways but couldn't get it to work.
What am I doing wrong?
tks

#1640973 - 03/14/11 06:43 PM Re: OT: How do you people quote in those little gray boxes? [Re: casinitaly]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Sorry, I don't get it.
If I hit reply to this post, then I see the text under my reply. If I hightlight text and hit the "66" smile quote box, I see the "quote unquote" codes, but they appear in the "original" post, not mine when I preview.
What am I doing wrong?

Well for the above for example I highlighted and copied what you had written, hit reply and the quotation marks then pasted your text within the quote codes... It seems to work (at least as I understood it).
What do you mean when you say they appear in the original post?

Music is my best friend.

#1640985 - 03/14/11 06:56 PM Re: OT: How do you people quote in those little gray boxes? [Re: casinitaly]
1000 Post Club Member

Sorry, I don't get it.
What am I doing wrong?
tks

I don't know, if I hit the Reply button it brings up the reply box, but it's empty. Only when I press the QUOTE button below every post in the forum, do I get the post I'm replying to in a quotation box.

Then if I put some text highlight it and press the quotation mark button above the reply text box I can quote anything I want.

Quote:
This is just some nonsense.

Casio PX-5S

#1640987 - 03/14/11 06:58 PM Re: OT: How do you people quote in those little gray boxes? [Re: findingnemo2010]
cubop Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 28 2012

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: joeb84
when you want to reply to someone click quote under their reply

I have never bothered to find out how quotation boxes work on any forum I am on, so I am just testing. I this works, I will try the more advanced options when needed.
cubop

#1640993 - 03/14/11 07:02 PM Re: OT: How do you people quote in those little gray boxes? [Re: TheodorN]

Sorry, I don't get it.
What am I doing wrong?
tks

I don't know, if I hit the Reply button it brings up the reply box, but it's empty. Only when I press the QUOTE button below every post in the forum, do I get the post I'm replying to in a quotation box.

Then if I put some text highlight it and press the quotation mark button above the reply text box I can quote anything I want.

Quote:
This is just some nonsense.

Oh, ok... I thought you were grabbing text from another post using the "" box in the reply window. I see that you are just highlighting text in your own reply (though that could be a cut and paste from another post.......ah it can get complicated smile ) Thanks for clarifying, I get it now.

#1641000 - 03/14/11 07:12 PM Re: OT: How do you people quote in those little gray boxes? [Re: Michael Steen]
Akira Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Here are the basics on using the forum's tags. Click the + sign under the topic entitled: "What UBBCode can I use in my posts? "

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/faq.html

#1641032 - 03/14/11 07:59 PM Re: OT: How do you people quote in those little gray boxes? [Re: Akira]

Originally Posted By: Akira
Here are the basics on using the forum's tags. Click the + sign under the topic entitled: "What UBBCode can I use in my posts? "

Oh yipeee!!! Now I know how to do spoilers smile Thanks Akira! I'm very amused.

#1641033 - 03/14/11 08:00 PM Re: OT: How do you people quote in those little gray boxes? [Re: Michael Steen]
1000 Post Club Member

I was quoting my own nonsense, in the end. cool You're welcome, glad I could help.

Casio PX-5S

#1641051 - 03/14/11 08:27 PM Re: OT: How do you people quote in those little gray boxes? [Re: casinitaly]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Oh yipeee!!! Now I know how to do spoilers smile Thanks Akira! I'm very amused.

ha I am too curious! I tried out everything the first day I joined... But (of course) I didn't post all my "experiments"...

Unfortunately certain features seem to have gone since the forum was first created, like the polls (according to the link above)... I think polls could be nice sometimes.

Music is my best friend.

#1642739 - 03/17/11 08:18 AM Re: OT: How do you people quote in those little gray boxes? [Re: Akira]
Cohenfan Offline

Loc: Canada

Oops, sorry to bump this thread, I was experimenting, could not figure out how to quote before.

Now I know :-)

#1642757 - 03/17/11 08:56 AM Re: OT: How do you people quote in those little gray boxes? [Re: Michael Steen]

Well, since we're testing, guess what?

Click to reveal..
I'm testing too - I can't believe it was this easy! I love it...ok, I'm amused by simple things, I admit it smile

#1642814 - 03/17/11 11:08 AM Re: OT: How do you people quote in those little gray boxes? [Re: casinitaly]
Akira Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
My Dad always said, "When in doubt, read the instructions."

That advice has served me well. smile

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Numa Compact keyboard
by Michael H
04/28/15 02:41 PM
Simple Music
by Rogerx
04/28/15 08:24 AM
Jazz and Latin transcriptions
by Adrien
04/28/15 07:53 AM
My CA97 has arrived - issue?
by tabber
04/28/15 07:48 AM
Pearl River upright
by PhilipInChina
04/28/15 06:38 AM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
79,075 Registered Members
44 Forums
163,612 Topics
2,400,713 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission