2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 15 invisible), 2,119 guests, and 324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Haha, Jason - you know I didn't know who Justin Bieber was until a few days ago. My only reaction was "WTF?"

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
D
D
Bypassing a filter is child's play. Coincidently "Child's play" is also where you learn to curse.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
Haha, Jason - you know I didn't know who Justin Bieber was until a few days ago. My only reaction was "WTF?"

Yeah, when I found out about him, I was like "Oh, another mainstream pop singer. Moving on..." And I hear so much about people bashing him. I don't really care for making fun of him or bashing him in the same way that I don't care to listen to his music. It just doesn't appeal to me.

Musically speaking, I do have a couple guilty pleasures that would maybe be a "disgrace" to mention on a classical piano forum! Lol...

EDIT Okay, I'll share one with you guys. smile
(Get ready for it!!)

Last edited by Orange Soda King; 03/08/11 11:34 AM.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict
hell

Yeah, it works!

DAM! How are y'all doing it? ha

Like that:
DΑMN

I will stop here though... I don't want to get in trouble...

That word is not censored, though. At least, it wasn't when I demonstrated a day or two ago.

But besides that demonstration, I have no use for that word, or any other swear word.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

I didn't know either...

And I heard of "Australian Idol" in its 7th year!! Just the year they stopped it I think. blush

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I haven't ventured in here in a while, but found this thread via a search (after seeing a thread in either the Piano or Piano Tech forum on Transparency on PW), and seeing as it's still somewhat recent, I'll contribute a couple thoughts...

For me, personally, I'm ok with the careful and occasional use of words that may be considered "profanity", in some cases. I wouldn't use them willy nilly (not sure if that's gonna get censored here, and I hope you all will understand what I mean when using it (another forum I participate in DOES censor the "w" word), though. As far as I know, I don't think there's any word that I would consider to be ALWAYS offensive, for myself at least.
Of course, though, I will usually do my best to respect others that don't care for those words, although sometimes I can slip. smile

Also, some places I've seen censorship, it's been interesting, especially on the Zynga (facebook games) forums - words that I know have normal perfectly fine uses are censored there. Examples include a 3-letter word beginning with "g" that has meant "happy", a 5-letter word beginning with "p" that's another way to say "cat", a 4-letter word beginning with "d" that's a nickname for Richard, a 4-letter word beginning with "c" that's a male chicken (as well as some other birds, and is used in some translations of the Bible), and I'm sure there are others I can't think of at the moment.

Also, on a tech-leaning IRC chat I sometimes participate in, certain cuss words are replaced with a particular person's name. And, in a first-person shooter game I often play, I remember playing on one game server several years ago on which certain words (especially body parts) were automatically replaced in the in-game text chat with their so-called "proper" terms in capital letters. And, a year or two ago on another game server (same game), I heard someone play a song over the microphone that was probably from the 1950s or so, containing the 6-letter "n" word, and in no way did I ever find anything offensive about the way that word was used.

Also, one of those 7 dirty words is quoted in Isaiah 36:12 (as well as another place I can't remember at the moment) in the King James Bible. (BTW if something, or its subject matter or anything remotely similar, appears in the Bible, then due to the respect I have for that book (although I will say I often fail at actually doing what it teaches), it automatically makes those types of words non-offensive for me.)

Last but not least, one thing that does annoy me about such language is when people take formerly perfectly legitimate words, and change their meaning so now we have to be careful saying them anymore. mad

Now for something that's (hopefully) on a gayer (the original meaning of the word) note ... wink

What did the fish say when he swam into a wall?

1950 (#144211) Baldwin Hamilton
1956 (#167714) Baldwin Hamilton
You can right-click my avatar for an option to view a larger version.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Okay, I'll bite: What DID the fish say when it swam into a wall? wink

As for profanity, I had a brief but impassioned argument with my 15 year old daughter, who insisted that the word that begins with p and rhymes with "brick" is acceptable slang that she could use despite her tender years, and I told her that it most definitely was not. I won. smokin

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
What's wrong with "prick"? Lots of people fit that category.. =)

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
To quote George Carlin re what's ok to say on TV: "You can prick your finger, but you can't finger your...."

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
What's wrong with "prick"? Lots of people fit that category.. =)

laugh You're funny.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
There's another word that got twisted to have a "bad" meaning, bluekeys - prick (afaik poking someone/something with a sharp instrument enough to leave a mark). shocked In my post above I mentioned that's something I really wish wouldn't happen. Words like gay (happy), pussy (a cat), Dick (nickname for Richard), cock (male chicken, also some other birds) also have different meanings that as far as I'm aware are perfectly acceptable in general all-ages conversation, shown in the parentheses after each word. Also the word piss appears twice in the King James Bible, hell and damn (or various forms of it) appear more times than I think I could count, and cock is in there too (one place being where Jesus told Peter the cock would not crow till Peter had denied Jesus); due to my respect for the Bible none of those words are offensive to me, especially the way they're used there. (I'm not even offended by passages in some of the prophets that use sexual imagery, or some graphic descriptions of battle scenes and other things, but for the sake of the youngsters here I'm not going to narrow down any further where they are or what they say at this time, unless requested.)

P.S. I hope due to the way the words are used, my post is not offensive. It is not intended to be - I was just trying to point out that those words have not always had bad uses. (IMO, if they always have been bad, they would not have been put in the Bible, even if said translation including one of the 7 dirty words was originally translated around 1611 AD.)

Last edited by 88Key_PianoPlayer; 03/15/11 04:56 PM.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Okay, I understand public forums being "censored". But private messages, really? That's so unfair. I have friends here that I would like to talk to freely and vent with - and I can't! Noody sees these messages anyway, what's the problem?

Freedom of speech...?

Here is a perspective you may not have considered.

When you are here, it is not dissimilar to being at someone's house. There are rules to which you must abide. If the owner does not approve of how you behave, you may be ejected and your "welcome" status will be revoked. The rules are designed for the benefit of the entire community. Not everyone will agree with them, but they must be followed to retain your welcome status.

Freedome of speech? Not exactly. You cannot say anything you want, claiming freedom of speech -- just the same as you can't yell "I have a bomb on an airplane." That's the purpose of the profanity filters. They are a gentle reminder that your are crossing the line that the forum administrator have drawn (i.e. the "rules").

You erroneously think a PM is to communicate privately amongst friends and while this is true most of the time, a PM can also be sent to a total stranger threatening to cut their throat. Of course that is an extreme example, but the rules that apply to the public area also apply to the private area as well. I believe this software design is well thought out and the fact that the filters apply to public and private areas is very intentional, for the reasons I mentioned above.

It's okay if you want to tell me to lighten up. Just wanted to share a perspective you may not yet have considered. smile

Here are the forum rules, for your reference.
Considering the real-time nature of this message board, it is impossible for us to review messages or confirm the validity of information posted. Please remember that we do not actively monitor the contents of posted messages and are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this BB or any entity associated with this BB. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, so please realize that we may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately. You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this BB to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law. You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyrighted material is owned by you. We reserve the right to use any messages posted in other areas of our Web sites. Although we do not and cannot review the messages posted and are not responsible for the content of any of these messages, we reserve the right to delete any message for any reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold us harmless with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your messagearray(s). We reserve the right to reveal your identity array(or whatever information we know about you) in the event of a complaint or legal action arising from any message posted by you.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Akira
Freedome of speech? Not exactly. You cannot say anything you want, claiming freedom of speech -- just the same as you can't yell "I have a bomb on an airplane." That's the purpose of the profanity filters. They are a gentle reminder that your are crossing the line that the forum administrator have drawn (i.e. the "rules").

That got me thinking... I understand laptop computers are allowed as carry-ons on aircraft, but... I wonder how well it would go over if several people that were (maybe NOT) sitting together (if there was a way they could wirelessly network - maybe WiFi? some airlines have that, I think) started playing Counter-Strike: Source together, using speakers instead of headphones, and communicating over in-game voice chat? wink

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Do lighten up, will ya?

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission