Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
159 registered (accordeur, activee, 36251, A Guy, ABC Vermonter, 40 invisible), 1690 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1642841 - 03/17/11 11:56 AM Problems transmitting a recording from a digital piano
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Skne, Sweden
Hello people, can anyone help me? I'm trying to copy a recording from a Yamaha P85 to my laptop. I followed the instructions like they're laid out in the manual.
  • Connected the piano to the computer via MIDI/USB adapter. MIDI IN on the P85 through the MIDI OUT on the adapter and vice versa.
  • Connected the USB cable of the adapter to the computer.
  • Turned on the piano while holding the C7 note.
The Musicsoft Downloader finds the file, it's called NPP88.BUP, like it says in the manual and it's on the system drive. I had some problems having the program find the instrument, but now I've managed to do it.

When I press Move, just like the MusicSoft help tells you to do, the program seems to start receiving the file, but after a few seconds it stops and this message appears in a message window:

Cannot communicate with the instrument. Make sure that the instrument is properly connected to the computer. (+ An OK button.)

What could I be doing wrong? I can record without problems in Notation Composer, so I don't understand why this happens in Musicsoft.

Edited by Pianotehead (03/17/11 11:56 AM)

http://www.youtube.com/user/thenorbass1

Casio PX-5S

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#1643605 - 03/18/11 03:19 PM Re: Problems transmitting a recording from a digital piano [Re: TheodorN]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Before this thread disappears from view, I just want to make sure that noone here can provide any help or advice on this.

Isn't there anyone who has encountered some problems recording through the MIDI In/Out ports of the P85? Or had the same problems with any of the other pianos in the Yamaha P-family, like P95, P120, P155 etc.? *

If not, then...that's too bad!

* I'm assuming the MIDI functionality is identical or at least similar on models of higher rank than the P85, or other brands of Yamaha digital pianos for that matter.

Casio PX-5S

#1643673 - 03/18/11 05:45 PM Re: Problems transmitting a recording from a digital piano [Re: TheodorN]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
You've observed the following Notes from your owner's manual?

In Dual, Voice 1 data is transmit-
ted on its specified channel and
Voice 2 data is transmitted on the
next greater channel number rela-
tive to the specified channel. In
this case, no data is transmitted if
the transmit channel is set to
“OFF.”
ALL:

“Multi-timbre” Receive. This
allows simultaneous reception of
different parts on all 16 MIDI
channels, enabling the P-85 to
play multi-channel song data
received from a music computer
or sequencer.
1+2:

“1+2” Receive. This allows simultaneous reception on channels 1 and 2 only, enabling the P-85 to play 1 and 2 channel song data received from a music computer or sequencer.

Program change and other like
channel messages received will
not affect the P-85’s panel set-
tings or the notes you play on the
keyboard.

Data for the demo song and
piano preset songs cannot be
transmitted via MIDI.

Apart from all this (and more from your owner's manual), have you thought of simply recording the audio information (instead of recording the midi information)? That's not the answer you're looking for but you'd have a copy of the performance until this is sorted.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1643678 - 03/18/11 05:54 PM Re: Problems transmitting a recording from a digital piano [Re: TheodorN]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

... one more thing, after looking at that owner's manual I see that you can transfer data (such as that backup file) from your keyboard to your computer, but that's not the same as having a 'song' played back in your computer, right?

I'm certainly no expert, but I would guess this is a method of saving your information but not necessarily a way to playback what you're performed in your instrument.

Edited by Dave Horne (03/18/11 05:54 PM)

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1643700 - 03/18/11 06:25 PM Re: Problems transmitting a recording from a digital piano [Re: TheodorN]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks, Dave Horne. Yes I noticed this part, even though I didn't understand it. But it refers to Dual, isn't that when two voices are layered, like strings and piano? I'm not trying to send data from the piano in dual (or layered?) mode.

The next paragraph talks about receiving and making the P85 play many tracks in different voices, like organ, strings, or electric piano, there are ten voices on the piano. I'm not trying to do that either.

I also fail to see how the rest of the text concerns MIDI OUT transmitting, that is from the piano to the computer, but thanks for trying to help.

Yes, I could record the audio. I got a decent digital camera today and it seems to take good video plus the sound comes across okay. At least it meets my intended uses. But I want to be able to read it as MIDI to see if I can keep time. Which I usually don't, I stop or hold the notes too long or too short.

I can of course make Notation Composer record from my piano, the same one with the same initializations Musicsoft fails to communicate with. Maybe it would be a better solution, since Composer can record for a longer time, the internal memory of the P85 is very limited.

Sorry for a too long post!

Casio PX-5S

#1643703 - 03/18/11 06:27 PM Re: Problems transmitting a recording from a digital piano [Re: TheodorN]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

You're right about that last part, I know that MIDI is just commands sent to the computer's sound card which plays the information back as notes (roughly how it is, I think.) No dynamics whatsoever come across that way.

Casio PX-5S

#1643731 - 03/18/11 07:24 PM Re: Problems transmitting a recording from a digital piano [Re: TheodorN]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: Pianotehead
You're right about that last part, I know that MIDI is just commands sent to the computer's sound card which plays the information back as notes (roughly how it is, I think.) No dynamics whatsoever come across that way.

Dynamics are sent are part of MIDI data. MIDI sends the key velocity as well as the on and off times.

Does the piano send MIDI data as it replays a recording.

The best thing to do is record and edit using a computer. Always the piano's user interface is not great. If you have the USB/MIDI interface then just use a DAW software on the computer.

#1643754 - 03/18/11 08:04 PM Re: Problems transmitting a recording from a digital piano [Re: TheodorN]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Then I apologize for stating something that was wrong, thought I had read somewhere that MIDI files didn't reflect expressions put in playing, like fortissimo, forte, mezzo forte, crescendo to name some.

I've heard of this DAW, can I get software for it as freeware, if I decide Composer isn't enough?

Edit: I did a net search for DAW and Audacity came up, which is free.

Edited by Pianotehead (03/18/11 08:28 PM)

Casio PX-5S

#1643909 - 03/19/11 03:12 AM Re: Problems transmitting a recording from a digital piano [Re: TheodorN]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Then I apologize for stating something that was wrong, thought I had read somewhere that MIDI files didn't reflect expressions put in playing, like fortissimo, forte, mezzo forte, crescendo to name some.

I've heard of this DAW, can I get software for it as freeware, if I decide Composer isn't enough?

Edit: I did a net search for DAW and Audacity came up, which is free.

I would have recommended Audacity as well. The noise floor in both my GranTouch and AvantGrand was -60 dB. Either my wife's laptop is a bit noisy or the piano themselves are noisy but for my use I can live with it.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1643915 - 03/19/11 03:47 AM Re: Problems transmitting a recording from a digital piano [Re: TheodorN]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

That's not exactly what I meant though. The manual does not state that your computer will be able to play that backup file, only that you can send that file (for the purpose of saving your settings and songs).

I would either record the audio out from the piano or record the midi file into a software program dedicated to doing just that.

What I do on my piano is this, I record my playing which is saved as a MID file (in the AvantGrand) and then I simply playback that file from the piano as I record the audio outs from the piano to the mic in of my wife's laptop.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Quick question
by Phil Greenough
12/22/14 03:51 PM
Question about hanno.
by activee
12/22/14 02:42 PM
How to solve psychological problem on piano playing?
by ppianist
12/22/14 02:34 PM
Moving from desert to ocean
by cullam
12/22/14 02:00 PM
CP50 noisy key...
by G. Bonner
12/22/14 12:30 PM
Forum Stats
77391 Members
42 Forums
160059 Topics
2350560 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission