Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1643030 - 03/17/11 04:57 PM Digital piano for 6yo just starting lessons
aviator79 Offline

So my 7yo daughter in law just started lessons and we need to get a digital piano ASAP before she starts falling behind in her lessons. I have had very little time to research this, but I am the kind of person that doesn’t like to buy junk. So even thou it is just for a 6yo and she may get sick of it soon, to give her the best chance she needs something fairly decent so I don’t want to buy her that $100 Casio from Target. I don’t need top of the line, but I am looking for a deal so I have been looking on craigslist and stuff.

So far I have found a used YAMAHA YPG-635 for ~$400. The YPG-635 is $700 new so I would assume for $400 it is ok so long as it works fine. I am trying to get it for $300 as it is missing the volume knob, power supply cord and does not have a stand. But it is tested and words and looks in decent shape.

Any thoughts?

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#1643049 - 03/17/11 05:20 PM Re: Digital piano for 6yo just starting lessons [Re: aviator79]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

There are a lot of decent options for $500 or, then some really good options for the $500+ range. Whatever you get, the better it sounds and plays, the more likely your daughter will want to play. I was always under the impression that a good instrument can inspire one to practice. Obviously having a passion to play is the more important thing, but having good equipment will inspire one to play more. It's like having a severely de-tuned upright piano vs. an in-tune grand. Obviously, passion aside, one will want to practice on the grand. I would be careful buying used. There are some really great options a little more than the $400 you saw for the used DPs.

Some options (new):
Casio PX-130/330/3 and their comparable console DPs.
Yamaha P-95/155 and their comparable console DPs.

"Be who you are and say how you feel. Because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

#1643056 - 03/17/11 05:27 PM Re: Digital piano for 6yo just starting lessons [Re: PianoZac]
Possum SP280Krome Offline
500 Post Club Member

I agree with Zachary 100%- even as a 38 year old having a new P95 and Roland Juno Gi for my writing/recording has made a world of difference.

A console can be enjoyable to sit at as well. Having converted the P95 closer to a console with a bench and the Yamaha stand/pedals makes it resemble more of an instrument (and furniture as well)

A casio I enjoy as well is the PX830.
Korg SP280

Rokit KRK 6 monitors
MXL V67G microphone

#1643116 - 03/17/11 07:11 PM Re: Digital piano for 6yo just starting lessons [Re: aviator79]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: aviator79
So my 7yo daughter in law just started lessons and we need to get a digital piano ASAP before she starts falling behind in her lessons. I have had very little time to research this, but I am the kind of person that doesn’t like to buy junk. So even thou it is just for a 6yo and she may get sick of it soon, to give her the best chance she needs something fairly decent so I don’t want to buy her that $100 Casio from Target. I don’t need top of the line, but I am looking for a deal so I have been looking on craigslist and stuff.

So far I have found a used YAMAHA YPG-635 for ~$400. The YPG-635 is $700 new so I would assume for $400 it is ok so long as it works fine. I am trying to get it for $300 as it is missing the volume knob, power supply cord and does not have a stand. But it is tested and words and looks in decent shape.

Any thoughts?

The three most recommended entry level pianos are the Casio PX130, Yamaha P95 and Korg Sp170. I like these in the order listed. All are in the $500 range.

The YPG635 is for your purposes very much the same as the P95 so if you can get it for $300 great. But at $400 you might just look at new $500 pianos.

These pianos are about the minimum required for a new piano student. You are right that the cheaper ones are not worth considering, they are not even "pianos". Pianos are defined by their hammer action key mechanisms. Those $100 Casios have "synth action" keys which are different with just springs, no moving hammers, under the keys.

Also, don't forget the stand and bench you need to be able to get the heights "correct".

Edited by ChrisA (03/17/11 07:13 PM)

#1643618 - 03/18/11 03:47 PM Re: Digital piano for 6yo just starting lessons [Re: aviator79]
Gyro Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I would stay away from that YPG 635 without the vol. knob and the power cord. The power cord especially would be almost impossible to find. These are made specifically for each model, and today they often have the AC adaptor integrated with the power cord, and so it is not simply a case of finding a power chord for it, like with a pc.

I see nothing wrong with starting lessons on an inexpensive, unweighted 61-key portable keyboard. In the US it is not uncommon for students to take several yrs. of classical lessons on one. They don't have much of a problem adapting to the upright or grand in the teacher's studio. You can play all of Bach and most if not all of Mozart on 61 keys. The dropout rate is very high in piano, so it makes sense not to spend too much on a starter piano.

These 61-key portables are very convenient and fun to use. You can plop them down anywhere and play. With an 88-key weighted digital piano, you'll have to sit down in one place, on a bench, and play, and you'll have to work to get the weighted keys moving under your fingers, which can take most of the fun out of playing.

If you get a 61-key portable, make sure it has the factory AC adaptor included in the box--some don't come with an adaptor--because finding an adaptor with a jack that fits the keyboard jack can be almost impossible after you buy one. If you buy it in a store and they try to throw in a "universal" adaptor, make them open up everything right there and prove it works, because chances are the adaptor won't have a jack that fits the keyboard jack.

#1643653 - 03/18/11 05:04 PM Re: Digital piano for 6yo just starting lessons [Re: ChrisA]
aviator79 Offline

Originally Posted By: ChrisA

The three most recommended entry level pianos are the Casio PX130, Yamaha P95 and Korg Sp170. I like these in the order listed. All are in the $500 range.

The YPG635 is for your purposes very much the same as the P95 so if you can get it for $300 great. But at $400 you might just look at new $500 pianos.

These pianos are about the minimum required for a new piano student. You are right that the cheaper ones are not worth considering, they are not even "pianos". Pianos are defined by their hammer action key mechanisms. Those $100 Casios have "synth action" keys which are different with just springs, no moving hammers, under the keys.

Also, don't forget the stand and bench you need to be able to get the heights "correct".

Thanks. Good info.
I offered $300 so we will see.

#1643656 - 03/18/11 05:06 PM Re: Digital piano for 6yo just starting lessons [Re: Gyro]
aviator79 Offline

Originally Posted By: Gyro
I would stay away from that YPG 635 without the vol. knob and the power cord. The power cord especially would be almost impossible to find. These are made specifically for each model, and today they often have the AC adaptor integrated with the power cord, and so it is not simply a case of finding a power chord for it, like with a pc.

I see nothing wrong with starting lessons on an inexpensive, unweighted 61-key portable keyboard. In the US it is not uncommon for students to take several yrs. of classical lessons on one. They don't have much of a problem adapting to the upright or grand in the teacher's studio. You can play all of Bach and most if not all of Mozart on 61 keys. The dropout rate is very high in piano, so it makes sense not to spend too much on a starter piano.

These 61-key portables are very convenient and fun to use. You can plop them down anywhere and play. With an 88-key weighted digital piano, you'll have to sit down in one place, on a bench, and play, and you'll have to work to get the weighted keys moving under your fingers, which can take most of the fun out of playing.

If you get a 61-key portable, make sure it has the factory AC adaptor included in the box--some don't come with an adaptor--because finding an adaptor with a jack that fits the keyboard jack can be almost impossible after you buy one. If you buy it in a store and they try to throw in a "universal" adaptor, make them open up everything right there and prove it works, because chances are the adaptor won't have a jack that fits the keyboard jack.

I am very handy and I probably have a 12v 1.5-2 amp power supply at home and a barrel plug that will fit and I just solder the plug to the power supply and done so I am not worried abou that. Also I dont want to buy and cheepo one cause when/if she does quit I want something I can get my money back on, not something that I cant even resel for $1.

#1643671 - 03/18/11 05:42 PM Re: Digital piano for 6yo just starting lessons [Re: aviator79]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Originally Posted By: Gyro
The power cord especially would be almost impossible to find.
Total nonsense, Gyro. The power supplies are very easy to find.

Originally Posted By: aviator79
I am very handy and I probably have a 12v 1.5-2 amp power supply at home and a barrel plug that will fit and ...
That'll do it. If not, these can be bought for under $20.

#1644136 - 03/19/11 02:08 PM Re: Digital piano for 6yo just starting lessons [Re: ChrisA]
aviator79 Offline

So the person passed on my $300 offer so I think I will pass as it saves me from a 3 hours drive.
So the Casio PX-130 is $469.18 on amazon. I have a $100 GC making it $369 for me so I am about to purchase that. Is this a good price?

#1644159 - 03/19/11 02:44 PM Re: Digital piano for 6yo just starting lessons [Re: aviator79]
aviator79 Offline

Welp I bought the Casio PX-130. Will have to buy the stand later. Thanks for all the help. I played for nearly 10 years as a kid, from like 5-13. Im 31 or 32 or someting now so it is not going to be easy to relearn, but I am going to try after spending $400 on this. Put Im glad i didnt just get a toy. I hope she likes it. She wanted a real piano, but I knew that would be too much hassel with tuning and just geting the thing into the hose as my driveway is super steep. So it will be here Tuesday.
Thank again ChrisA.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
167 registered (accordeur, Alex1, ajames, AmateurBob, 38 invisible), 1897 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75516 Members
42 Forums
156163 Topics
2293320 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bored kid at Cosco..
by Norbert
2 minutes 14 seconds ago
Need help and advice please!
by Pover
3 minutes 47 seconds ago
Kawai K200
by Vidsin
Today at 02:46 PM
Medelssohn on meaning in music
by phantomFive
Today at 01:52 PM
Correcting Heavy Piano Touchweight in Grand Pianos
by Paul678
Today at 01:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission