2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, 14 invisible), 2,128 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
OP Offline
P
Hello, im new to the pianoworld forums but i am a 18 year old who has been playing the piano since the age of 5 and has been studying under Doris Thomopulos for 13 years. I have a question about Chopin's Waltz in A flat Major. I have listened to many concert pianoists playing this, and i want to know how they connect the main melody without letting the melody go? I also have a youtube performance of this Waltz, search in fuman230, and you will find the video.

thank you smile

"Chopin is a genius when it comes to piano"

Last edited by pianoman9084; 03/20/11 04:14 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Not quite sure what you mean. Do you mean that on the recordings the melody sounds legato even though it's not played with finger legato all the time or...?

P
OP Offline
P
yes sort of. what i mean is that the concert pianoists play the melody very connected, but when i practice and play, the melody sounds disconnected and the tone is broken off. But i think it's because my fingers arent that big and elastic, but they are some what a normal size for a pianoist

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by pianoman9084
Hello, im new to the pianoworld forums but i am a 18 year pianoist who has been studying under Doris Thomopulos for 18 years. I have a question about Chopin's Waltz in A flat Major. I have listened to many concert pianoists playing this, and i want to know how they connect the main melody without letting the melody go? I also have a youtube performance of this Waltz, search in fuman230, and you will find the video.

thank you smile

"Chopin is a genius when it comes to piano"

First, welcome to the Pianist Corner!

I'm not sure what you mean when you write "i am a 18 year pianoist who has been studying under Doris Thomopulos for 18 years."

Nor do I understand, if you have been studying piano for 18 years, that this should even be a question. Playing a legato melody with the "outside" fingers of the right hand should long ago have been a technique easily mastered. Your video doesn't give the impression of someone who has studied piano for 18 years.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
yes sort of. what i mean is that the concert pianoists play the melody very connected, but when i practice and play, the melody sounds disconnected....

Oh, OK.
I think the answer is mainly what we're talking about in the thread on Phrasing. (Click the word and it will take you to the thread.)

Think of how you'd "sing" the melody. When you sing, there's a natural FLOW of the notes -- you do it automatically. On the piano, it's not automatic, but you can make it happen if you try. What it involves specifically is that some of the notes are softer than others. I would guess that you're playing all the melody notes just about equally loud.

And in this piece, it's particularly hard because of all else that is going on -- the lower notes in the R.H., the fact that you're playing most of the melody notes with the 5th finger, and the L.H. doing a different beat.

P
OP Offline
P
Yes there is a typo, i meant to say for 13 years, my apologies if i made you confused and thank you for the Welcoming greeting.

Online Content
Perhaps you could try playing only the melody notes of the right hand(either using the fingering that would occur if you were playing the complete right hand and/or a more connected fingering) together with the left hand waltz accompaniment. After you can do that the way you like you could add the rest of the right hand triplet notes.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 03/20/11 04:16 PM.
F
F
Originally Posted by BruceD
Playing a legato melody with the "outside" fingers of the right hand should long ago have been a technique easily mastered.

Do you mean using free arm or legato pedaling or something else?

The notes I handle no better than many pianists. But the pauses between the notes - ah, that is where the art resides! - Schnabel
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I agree with Mark_C here. You have to work on your phrasing.
Also, I suppose you did practice it slower while you were learning it? Phrasing comes out better when you are learning a piece if you practice at a slower tempo.

Welcome to PianoWorld form another Chopin lover!

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Not quite sure what you mean, pianoman9084. I couldn't find your video-please provide the link.

Just try and play it like this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0vFjjoflyQ

P
OP Offline
P
Wow this is the best version yet wow here is the link JustAnotherPianist http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6rozcpOnLM

P
OP Offline
P
affirmative, i been using my meternome while practicing the Waltz, increasing the speed little by little. hmm, i never heard of phrasing before.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
yeah it's pretty messed up how well he plays this piece.

You've done good work on this piece so far, but honestly it seems like it's a bit too difficult a piece for you right now.

No offense intended... but this piece is supposed to sound easy and spectacular-the way Bozhanov plays it, or relatively close, at least.

Unless you just started working on the piece a few days before you made that video, I can't honestly see you getting there with it in the near future.

This waltz is REALLY hard-that's why everyone plays it in the Chopin Competition.
I think you could develop more efficiently if you were to work on something a bit easier.

If you are determined to stick it out with this piece no matter what I say, I would advise you to practice it VERY slowly, without using the pedal for now, and really listen to the quality of sound in the melody. You made a lot of mistakes in the left hand as well-mistakes which sounded as though you may have learned the wrong notes or, if you DO know the right notes, you're simply being too careless in where your hand lands after the jumps.

You need to practice the left hand alone. Focus on jumping EXTREMELY quickly and in a straight line to where you're going. Allow your hand to land on the correct position for the right chord, and do not play. Just practice that jump. Very fast, in a straight line, DIRECTLY to the position of the chord, then you can play.

Practice the jumps like that, and in a short time you will be playing mostly the right notes in tempo.

P
OP Offline
P
JustAnotherPianist thank you for the beneficial tips, i will practice the Waltz as you said, thank you, and my teacher selected it for my audition for college. The four pieces i am playing is Debussy's 2nd arebesque and that is a challenging piece with the 16th trills, Beethoven's Sonata in G Maj, Bach Inventio 13 and the challenging Chopin Waltz

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
affirmative, i been using my meternome while practicing the Waltz, increasing the speed little by little. hmm, i never heard of phrasing before.

Sorry, but I think you should find a better teacher if he/she never mentioned phrasing to you in 13 years... frown

But it is never too late to learn and you are still very young anyway!

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

P
OP Offline
P
I dont know, if i should change teachers, ive known her since the age of 5, and she has been in the Whos in America series, with her son Michael Thomopulos, im sure most of you heard about him? I think she has taught me about phrasing, and i wasn't paying attention, probably.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I have no clue who you are talking about nor do I have any clue what the Whos in America series is.
How much do you practice every day, and what colleges are you planning to audition for? When are the auditions?

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
The OP is probably referring to the "Who's Who in America" series: annual (?) publications, often by discipline, ("Who's Who in Education, etc.) including biographies, awards and distinctions of various personalities, some who have paid to have their biographies listed in these reference works.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
I too am surprised that in your entire music education your teacher hasn't mentioned phrasing! When I was learning, once I passed absolute beginner stage I don't think I had a lesson where phrasing was mentioned at least 4 of 5 times per lesson!

Have you ever read the performance notes at the beginning or end of your scores? Without a doubt there is mention of phrasing there.

In any case - how long before your college audition? Do you know the other pieces you've listed - or do you need to learn those from scratch?

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Is this pianoman9084?

pianoman?

If so, there are several questions spinning around in my head; a few things are not really adding up very well.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission