Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
69 registered (augustm, agoriaket, bennevis, AndrewJCW, 18 invisible), 1032 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Topic Options
#1645060 - 03/21/11 05:39 AM Reasonable price for Roland HP-237
Right hand chords Offline

I have considered buying a "second piano" for our vacation home. I have narrowed my search into Yamaha Clavinovas and Roland. Upon searching the net I found a Roland HP-237 from 2000 or 2001 that seems to be in good condition. What would be a reasonable price for such ten-year old digital piano?

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#1645242 - 03/21/11 01:25 PM Re: Reasonable price for Roland HP-237 [Re: Right hand chords]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
Have them pay you $50 for hauling it away.

#1645254 - 03/21/11 01:45 PM Re: Reasonable price for Roland HP-237 [Re: Right hand chords]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: Right hand chords
I have considered buying a "second piano" for our vacation home. I have narrowed my search into Yamaha Clavinovas and Roland. Upon searching the net I found a Roland HP-237 from 2000 or 2001 that seems to be in good condition. What would be a reasonable price for such ten-year old digital piano?

The problem many times is that the 10 year old DP is worth very little. But the seller remembers paying thousands for it and bases his asking price on some fraction of what he paid back in 2001. But you as a buyer know that today's $500 entry level piano might be better so you would want to offer less than that. The trouble is that the seller has been out of the market for 10+ years and does not know prices for comparable new pianos have fallen so much.

Offer $250 or $350 but be prepared to have the seller think it is worth $1,200. This is one reason so many people buy new DPs

#1645275 - 03/21/11 02:29 PM Re: Reasonable price for Roland HP-237 [Re: ChrisA]

The seller in deed thinks it's worth close to what you mentioned - although a nice looking Roland leather bench, earphones and some sheet music is included in price. I do not think there is any way I could get them all for a little as $250 or $350.

Ok, if the asking price for this used DP unrealistic the problem is that new Rolands are way more expensive (at least here in Europe). New Roland RP-201 which I understand to be an entry level DP sells for €1200 (ca. $1700). Are you saying new RP-201 is worth much more that used HP-237? I though HP-237 in its time was at least mid range...

Edited by Right hand chords (03/21/11 02:31 PM)

#1645293 - 03/21/11 02:52 PM Re: Reasonable price for Roland HP-237 [Re: Right hand chords]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
Key words: in its time. How much would you pay someone for their used 11 year old laptop?

#1645342 - 03/21/11 04:55 PM Re: Reasonable price for Roland HP-237 [Re: Right hand chords]
egallego Offline

Loc: Spain
For any price higher than 400$ you'll do better buying a new DP than the 237.

#1645494 - 03/21/11 09:26 PM Re: Reasonable price for Roland HP-237 [Re: Right hand chords]
dewar Offline

A used anything that has to do with technology is worth nothing.

It's like a computer. When I build I new one I don't go for the high end amazing graphics card/cpu/mobo. Why? Because I can guarantee without a doubt in my mind that technology will bypass the most up to date amazing piece of chip in probably a year, sometimes less.

Same goes for dp's. We see it in key touch, processors, sounds, layering, the works. Always something newer grander, and probably more expensive around the corner. (Though i've heard that yama's 400 line doesn't feel that good higher up from this review in that Arizona blog.)

#1645539 - 03/21/11 11:08 PM Re: Reasonable price for Roland HP-237 [Re: Right hand chords]
MacMacMac Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Originally Posted By: Right hand chords
Upon searching the net I found a Roland HP-237 from 2000 or 2001 that seems to be in good condition. What would be a reasonable price for such ten-year old digital piano?
Today the cheapest consoles sell at close to $1000. They'll be a bit better than the 10-year-old you're considering, but not much.

How much is the seller asking for the HP-237?

#1645629 - 03/22/11 03:54 AM Re: Reasonable price for Roland HP-237 [Re: MacMacMac]

Basicly what you all are saying is this: for 5+ year old dp:s the make and model is meaningless, any new entry level console is better? What if I found a 2-3 year old Clavinova for, say 70% of the price of a new one? Would that be a better purchase?

I only know acoustic pianos and therefore ask these simple questions... Thanks for your input.

#1646115 - 03/22/11 08:46 PM Re: Reasonable price for Roland HP-237 [Re: Right hand chords]
MacMacMac Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
I don't think make/model are meaningless. There are plenty of junk brands out there.
(If you stick with the major vendors, you'll avoid trouble.)

Be careful with the "percent off" thinking.
When you asked about 70% of the price of a new one ... that would be 70% of WHAT?

There's no fixed price on a high-end piano. The selling price is usually negotiated.
They often sell, brand new for 70% of the (crazy) LIST PRICE.
I got mine at 64% of list price.

So please don't buy a 2-3 year old for 70% of the original list.
I think 50% of original list is tops.
Some folks here might suggest even less.

#1648726 - 03/27/11 04:04 AM Re: Reasonable price for Roland HP-237 [Re: Right hand chords]

I ended up paying €500 ($700) for this used HP-237. Local music store offered me a new HP-302 for €1650 but I just couldn't justify myself the 1150 price difference. I honestly could not find that much of a difference between the used HP-237 and the new 302 in terms of sound or the feel of the keyboard.

However the more expensive HP-305 is a completely different story... the Ivory feel keyboard was superior to the plastic keyboard of the cheaper models. 305 was simply marvelous. Unfortunately the ca. €2000 at this point was simply way more than I was willing to spend.

Regarding Yamaha, after test playing a few Clavinovas I ruled them out completely. There would have been many used and new Clavinovas in the local market but somehow I prefer the more acoustic piano-like feel and look of the Rolands to all the buttons, digi displays etc of the Yamahas. Also I prefer the darker sound the Rolands have over the brighter tone of Yamahas. Just my personal, very subjective view.

Moderator:  Piano World 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
Back to School Music SALE!
Save 10% in our online store
Just enter SAVE10 in the coupon box during checkout. *
And YES, you can save 10% AND still get free shipping on Jansen Artist benches!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
* Sale does not apply to advertising, how old requests, or any non-tangible items. Can not be combined with any other promotions. Ends August 31, 2015
(ad) Teaching Children Music
Teaching Music to Children
(ad) Yamaha Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP4 & CP40 Stage Pianos
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
PianoDisc
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
My first piano, I appreciate your feedback.
by agoriaket
Today at 04:05 AM
schubert Impromptu op 90 no 3
by sor
Today at 02:47 AM
How do you store your sheet music and books?
by TwoSnowflakes
Today at 12:23 AM
New Teacher Recommending Less Practice?
by TX-Bluebonnet
Yesterday at 11:03 PM
What should I do after high school with the piano?
by boogiewoogie123
Yesterday at 09:51 PM
What's Hot!!
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
80,575 Registered Members
44 Forums
166,554 Topics
2,440,608 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission