Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
136 registered (A Guy, accordeur, 45 invisible), 1689 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1645153 - 03/21/11 11:11 AM Trying in store, buying online
jscomposer Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Boogie Down
Since another thread veered off topic...

Wouldn't the issue be solved by implementing state tax on online orders? That's the only real reason people try in store and then buy online, especially with expensive gear--you don't have to pay taxes.

Plus, it'd help plug some state budget deficits. wink

But then, the online retailers would probably bitch that they've lost a huge advantage.

Now someone said, "Isn't it worth something to be able to test out gear before buying?" Yes, but not an extra $200 on a high end keyboard.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#1645169 - 03/21/11 11:41 AM Re: Trying in store, buying online [Re: jscomposer]
CyberGene Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Sofia, Bulgaria
Well, then online stores wouldn't offer their low prices because of the tax and they will eventually die. And that's wrong because online store are a great convenience and actually the only choice for people on a budget.

Why not leave it to the natural selection? If retail stores die because of online stores, then that's it. That's the choice of the mass. Manufacturers usually have enough profits to afford having showrooms where you can test their production and then order online.

#1645207 - 03/21/11 12:46 PM Re: Trying in store, buying online [Re: jscomposer]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
If manufacturers were prepared to invest in at least one company-owned showroom per state - one that stocked all their current range but did not sell directly to the customer - then this would solve a lot of problems. Such a showroom would have a list of all authorized dealers in the state, and it would be up to the individual then whether to use an online or local store.

I bet a lot more people would purchase from the local store for the convenience and service offered. It would also reduce the inventory requirement for the local store, making them more competitive. Online stores would also see a reduction in returns, and the currently less visible manufacturers, like Kawai, should experience an uptick in sales due to the fact that most potential purchasers would now be able to try their products.

#1645221 - 03/21/11 01:07 PM Re: Trying in store, buying online [Re: voxpops]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
Originally Posted By: voxpops
If manufacturers were prepared to invest in at least one company-owned showroom per state - one that stocked all their current range but did not sell directly to the customer - then this would solve a lot of problems. Such a showroom would have a list of all authorized dealers in the state, and it would be up to the individual then whether to use an online or local store.

I bet a lot more people would purchase from the local store for the convenience and service offered. It would also reduce the inventory requirement for the local store, making them more competitive. Online stores would also see a reduction in returns, and the currently less visible manufacturers, like Kawai, should experience an uptick in sales due to the fact that most potential purchasers would now be able to try their products.

I am pretty sure that even big Yamaha would not have deep enough pockets to open 50 company owned display stores, let alone smaller Roland and much smaller Kawai.

It is the nature of the digital piano business that 80% of unit sales are of the lower end units and more than 80% of these sales are to first time buyers. If you look how typical consumers are buying digital pianos, then we are certainly the exception to the rule here on pianoworld. If you talk to dealers that actually are successful and make a material portion of their bread and butter from the sale of digitals then a couple of characteristics come forward:

- many sales are quick and even impulse sales; if the customer can take the piano with them right now or the store can deliver at the end of the day, the sale can take place very quickly. The central showrooms would be catering to a minority of the market and assuming that they want to spend hours in a car to try out one brand;

- having more than one brand and at least three different quality price levels (but not too much more than that) gives consumers a way to narrow their choice without overwhelming them. A company one brand only store -- that doesn't allow cash and carry in order not to have conflict with existing dealers -- would not provide this ability to comparison shop and audition.

- finally if the local store no longer had any of the instruments out for audition, it would not make much sense or provide opportunity for them to develop product knowledge on them either. Why would they invest in an inventory to keep them in stock and then not unbox at least one for display but instead ask people to take a day free to drive to the other side of the state. What exactly is the added value of the dealer then to the consumer?

#1645226 - 03/21/11 01:13 PM Re: Trying in store, buying online [Re: theJourney]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Good points, theJourney. I hadn't taken into account the impulse purchases and the comparison shopping - don't hire me as marketing director!

#1645256 - 03/21/11 01:52 PM Re: Trying in store, buying online [Re: CyberGene]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: CyberGene

Why not leave it to the natural selection? If retail stores die because of online stores, then that's it. That's the choice of the mass. Manufacturers usually have enough profits to afford having showrooms where you can test their production and then order online.

The big local stores here offer the beat any price by 10% of the difference. They even have computers in the store to check on-line prices. Many times people will walk in with a web page printout. They are trying to make it so the on-line stores no longer have a price advantage and of course they can offer more personal service.

#1645262 - 03/21/11 01:59 PM Re: Trying in store, buying online [Re: ChrisA]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ChrisA

The big local stores here offer the beat any price by 10% of the difference. They even have computers in the store to check on-line prices. Many times people will walk in with a web page printout. They are trying to make it so the on-line stores no longer have a price advantage and of course they can offer more personal service.

I have to confess I find the local GC such a depressing experience I prefer to order online so as not to have to talk to someone who doesn't know their a$$ from their elbow.

#1645265 - 03/21/11 02:05 PM Re: Trying in store, buying online [Re: jscomposer]
KDog Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
For many years now, the Mom and Pop store has been going the way of the dinosaur. There is not much that we can do to stop it at this point. This is sad, but true. There are few of these stores in my area that sell DPs and APs, charging premiums of up to 30% over what I can get online or at big box stores. This goes way beyond a simple tax issue. Even when a shipping line item is added at these stores (which, given my location, I would expect to pay), they are double what I get from online vendors. These are good people and I feel their pain but is there really any service they can offer me that makes these high premiums worth my business?

The other type of "local" store is the big box retail store. Do I have any loyalty to them? No. They are competing directly with the online retailers and rely on sales volume to do so. The conveniences of purchasing from them instead of online are obvious but I always compare their prices and offerings with online vendors before purchasing.

And...if the manufacturers want to get their pianos in the local showrooms then they should work with them to get them there. The "company-owned showroom" idea is a nice idea for the consumer but is exactly what the local stores don't want. If I did a tour of these showrooms over a few days, presumably I come away knowing exactly what I wanted. The local store becomes an order taker at that point which is exactly what the online retailers are. It makes the situation even worse.

The only way for the Mom and Pop stores to compete is to offer merchandise for the same price as online/box stores and sell enough other services to make a profit. Music lessons, repair, used instruments and trade-ins, delivery, setup and follow up. These are all areas where the local store will win.

Ken

#1645288 - 03/21/11 02:46 PM Re: Trying in store, buying online [Re: ChrisA]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ChrisA

It would be a good idea to use your own smartphone to check the web. If you use the web access or the print outs at Best Buy, for example, they automatically have it refer to the local store prices while you think you are looking at public web prices. Very tricky. Don't believe your own eyes unless you really know what you are looking at.

#1645291 - 03/21/11 02:50 PM Re: Trying in store, buying online [Re: KDog]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Ken Doggett
The only way for the Mom and Pop stores to compete is to offer merchandise for the same price as online/box stores and sell enough other services to make a profit. Music lessons, repair, used instruments and trade-ins, delivery, setup and follow up. These are all areas where the local store will win.

Several brands in Europe such as Yamaha demand that no one advertise below a standard price, whether store or web. This has given more breathing room to the Mom and Pops. However, if there is a central showroom or theyy don't have the financial wherewithall or volume to even have demo models or to have product in stock, then there is absolutely zero value provided by them. You can't audition, you can't get good advice, you can't get immediate delivery, you can't get a fair price...remind me again why we should lament these marginal players disappearing from the competitive landscape?

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha
Yamaha
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Intro and a question re: Elton's "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road"
by OnlyLivingBoy
Today at 05:09 PM
Are there usually dp sales in holiday in the US
by linghu224
Today at 04:37 PM
Intro and a question re: Elton's "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road"
by OnlyLivingBoy
Today at 03:33 PM
Can reburbishing eliminate mold?
by amateur101
Today at 03:21 PM
Kawai CA-65 bench in North American market
by Pierrerion
Today at 02:59 PM
Forum Stats
77008 Members
42 Forums
159269 Topics
2339708 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission