Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
71 registered (AZNpiano, bennevis, 22 invisible), 1117 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1644659 - 03/20/11 12:09 PM Keyboard Vs Piano Music Theory
surjeet Offline

Loc: India
I just want to know is there any difference between Piano and Keyboard's/Synth's basic music theory. I mean what if someone is well versed in Keyboard/Synth can he be able to play piano with ease?

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#1644706 - 03/20/11 02:10 PM Re: Keyboard Vs Piano Music Theory [Re: surjeet]
PianoMath Offline

Originally Posted By: surjeet
I just want to know is there any difference between Piano and Keyboard's/Synth's basic music theory. I mean what if someone is well versed in Keyboard/Synth can he be able to play piano with ease?

I'm not sure, about this, but the opposite is true.

#1644723 - 03/20/11 02:46 PM Re: Keyboard Vs Piano Music Theory [Re: surjeet]
tinknocker Offline

Loc: Key Largo, FL

For maximum flame output, you should pose this question on the Pianist Corner forum ;-0

Music theory is music theory.

If you are well versed in theory and keyboard technique you can move to piano with *relative* ease. By this I mean you will be able to play whatever you can play now, but very badly. You will stumble over the black keys which stick up higher, some notes won't sound, others will boom uncontrollably, especially the black keys. At least, that was my experience, going from an unweighted keyboard to a digital piano. If you're prepared to suck for a while, yeah, it's easy.

#1644853 - 03/20/11 07:23 PM Re: Keyboard Vs Piano Music Theory [Re: tinknocker]
appleman Offline

The big thing about synth is waveform theory. There's a million different ways to produce sounds from a good analog synth, which is why synth artists spend so much time crafting sounds. Piano theory would ignore this part, since piano only produces one sound, the one of hammers hitting steel strings.

I think someone who is well versed in synth will miss features like after touch, but as long as that player was using weighted keys, I don't see why they would have too much difficulty going back to a piano.

#1644915 - 03/20/11 09:40 PM Re: Keyboard Vs Piano Music Theory [Re: surjeet]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California

The feel of the keys is very different. It will take time before you adjust to just how hard to have to play. Pianos require much more force.

Also the musical genre is different. But even in the same genre, I think a piano would play different notes and cords

#1645015 - 03/21/11 01:10 AM Re: Keyboard Vs Piano Music Theory [Re: ChrisA]
10fingers Offline

Loc: CA
Originally Posted By: ChrisA
Also the musical genre is different. But even in the same genre, I think a piano would play different notes and cords

I'm not sure what you mean here Chris - would you elucidate please?

#1645021 - 03/21/11 01:25 AM Re: Keyboard Vs Piano Music Theory [Re: surjeet]
Chris G Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Music theory is the same for a keyboard as it is for a piano. All of the chords and scales are identical.

#1645062 - 03/21/11 05:58 AM Re: Keyboard Vs Piano Music Theory [Re: surjeet]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
Because of the language difference it's possible the OP was just asking about being able to switch easily between different kinds of keyboards.

If that's the case, it would be difficult for me to switch from weighted piano keyboard action to an unweighted synth action. I'm sure I would eventually adjust though I wouldn't like it - it would be a step down.

Traveling in the other direction would be much easier I think.

I've stated this several times. I sat in with a combo a few years ago where their keyboard player used an unweighted keyboard. I must have played at least 15 minutes and I never got the hang of it. I like having some resistance from the keyboard when I play.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1645173 - 03/21/11 11:44 AM Re: Keyboard Vs Piano Music Theory [Re: Dave Horne]
tinknocker Offline

Loc: Key Largo, FL
Originally Posted By: Dave Horne
I sat in with a combo a few years ago where their keyboard player used an unweighted keyboard. I must have played at least 15 minutes and I never got the hang of it.

Maybe 15 minutes wasn't enough? As for it being a step down, I think it is more of a step sideways, with trade-offs in either direction. With piano you have velocity sensitivity, with a synth you have after touch, and an infinite array of different sounds.

I have a friend who plays jazz and blues in a piano bar during the week, plays electronic keyboards (including a Yamaha stage piano) in a blues/rock band on the weekend. He uses what fits the material, sometimes piano with one hand and synth with the other. He's the guy who suggested I get a digital piano and concentrate on that when I wanted to move up from the 61 key PSR I had bought for my daughter.

Most of the keyboard players I know started on piano, but that is largely a result of my growing up in Miami in the '60's. You learned on a piano, because there wasn't any choice, and then started gigging on a combo organ because it was portable and a Wurly or Rhodes cost more than your van. Everybody learned on an upright, none of this "it's got to be a grand" nonsense. A grand piano was what the guy in the sequined tuxedo with the candelabra played. Times have changed, my mother's neighbor has a Steinway in her double-wide, and a $200 keyboard is a science-fiction marvel compared to those old combo organs. My, how I ramble...

This is a very Piano dominated forum, naturally, but I'd like to hear from some synth players about their instruments being considered "a step down".

#1645438 - 03/21/11 07:30 PM Re: Keyboard Vs Piano Music Theory [Re: surjeet]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
This is a very Piano dominated forum, naturally, but I'd like to hear from some synth players about their instruments being considered "a step down".

I assume you're referring to my comment. I was referring only to the action. A non weighted action, in my opinion, is a step down from a weighted action - and within weighted actions there are excellent and much less so excellent actions. smile

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Never thought it would end up at that instrument ...
by fatast
12/21/14 05:45 AM
Is Yelp reliable for evaluating piano stores?
by Le Chiffre
12/21/14 02:08 AM
Guide to Teaching
by Arghhh
12/21/14 12:39 AM
Making a New York Steinway sound like a Hamburg Steinway
by nphase
12/20/14 10:24 PM
Merry Christmas from Brazil! Feliz Natal!!
by Piano_Brazil
12/20/14 09:19 PM
Forum Stats
77375 Members
42 Forums
160032 Topics
2350085 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission