Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1646135 - 03/22/11 09:25 PM what about the impact of the Japan nuclear reactor fallout
chen Offline

Loc: yichang city china mainland
In china,some commodities received radiation,so we refuse them import, maybe piano received too,I think, KAWAI,YAMAHA,and Boston.

what about Japanese cars?

and your country refuse them too,and the price of the pianos or cars that have been import before this disaster will be raised in your country ?

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1646143 - 03/22/11 09:41 PM Re: what about the impact of the Japan nuclear reactor fallout [Re: chen]
Brandon_W_T Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
My parents just bought 2 Hondas, a Fit, and CR-Z a few weeks ago. They said they were pretty happy they bought them then because apparently the plant where these 2 cars were built were pretty close to where the quake was strong.

The news said that its possible for japanese export prices to skyrocket!

--NEW!--- 1964ish Conn 640 vacuum tube theatre organ! (with leslie!) smile

Grandmas- New Hyundai petite baby grand

Church (the organ I practice on)-
1998 Bedient (Built about 45 minutes from me!) 2m/pedal 24 rank Cavaille-Coll style pipe organ

#1646160 - 03/22/11 10:15 PM Re: what about the impact of the Japan nuclear reactor fallout [Re: chen]
Rank Piano Amateur Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Lots of prices are going to skyrocket, not just Japanese cars and pianos.

Anything with Japanese component parts will go up in price, if the item can be manufactured at all. I expect that most products with Japanese component parts will not be made at all, when the supply of parts runs out. There are a lot of items with components that are made in Japan, whether the final product is considered made in Japan or not.

The prices of cars, electronics, and computers will rise, both because of shortages of parts made in Japan, and because the prices of raw materials are going to go up.

The prices of all items not made in Japan or not including Japanese-made parts will go up, because they can.

The price of oil is going to climb, because there will be a world-wide reluctance to use alternative energy sources (nuclear power, in particular, of course).

In short, I expect all prices of everything except real estate to escalate dramatically.

Well, that covers the waterfront, as they say. And there we are.

#1646180 - 03/22/11 10:49 PM Re: what about the impact of the Japan nuclear reactor fallout [Re: chen]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
"...And there we are."

And, so much for our young poster who objected when someone expressed some kind words for Japan, after the quake and tsunami. "That," he said, "has nothing to do with pianos."

He took it back, after thirty or so other members corrected him, admitting it was insensitive.

But it does have something to do with pianos, and many other things. It had not occurred to me to think in terms of radioactive pianos. The news stories have mentioned field crops and milk, and after all, these were known before now to be at greater risk of physical exposure and biological uptake of radioisotopes. An especially tough break now, when there's such a shortage of food there.

I did wonder about those news stores that said, "It's ok--- the radioactive smoke is being blown out to sea (unless the wind changes direction) and washed away by seawater being pumped onto the reactors." I think maybe the Japanese know better; so much of their food comes from the ocean, and so much of their trade crosses it. In Brown's Ferry, Tennessee, there is a bank of very similar reactors sited right on the Tennessee River--- which, if I'm not mistaken, flows into the Mississippi River. We would be in a fine fix if someday we were facing the same bad options as the Japanese.

My impression is not that we'll be looking at radiation-contaminated pianos, but that so much of the infrastructure has been badly damaged: ports, electric grids, roads, places of work; not to mention all the people who were killed outright, and not to mention the very deep shock the people there must feel.

As the previous poster pointed out, we will all be affected by the injuries that have come to this valuable member of the world community--- probably in ways we have no way of guessing.

#1646184 - 03/22/11 10:51 PM Re: what about the impact of the Japan nuclear reactor fallout [Re: chen]
masaki Offline

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
Originally Posted By: chen
what about the impact of the Japan nuclear reactor fallout

The reactors in the plant in question are standing still on the ground. They are too massive to fly in the sky and will never fallout.
According to the authorities, the fallouts currently observed far from the plant are probably came from the fuel store, but not from the reactors.
Radiations from the fallout on my house garden in Tokyo, 150miles from the plant, by my measurements using an AN/PDR-63 Radiac Set(not capable of detecting alpha particles), were far less than 0.025mRad/h(equivalent to 0.25µSv/h as of yesterday.

I would suggest you to wash or boil the pianos or the cars in the water before you would eat or swallow them.

--
a BS in Physics

#1646193 - 03/22/11 11:06 PM Re: what about the impact of the Japan nuclear reactor fallout [Re: chen]
Rank Piano Amateur Offline
1000 Post Club Member

What happened is a tragedy for Japan and the Japanese. It will inevitably have a huge impact on the rest of the world as well. Personally, I believe that it is possible that radioactivity in pianos will be the least of our worries. . . .

#1646247 - 03/23/11 01:00 AM Re: what about the impact of the Japan nuclear reactor fallout [Re: Rank Piano Amateur]
Robert 45 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland New Zealand
Indeed. However, the Japanese are a very strong, resilient people and I believe that Japan will regain its economic super-power status. The Yamaha and Kawai factories were undamaged and no doubt their diligent, dedicated workforce will be endeavouring to produce better pianos than ever as the country works its way out of this devastating human and economic catastrophe.

Kind regards,

Robert.

#1646298 - 03/23/11 04:00 AM Re: what about the impact of the Japan nuclear reactor fallout [Re: chen]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
The only radioactive pianos I am aware of were some cheap exports from China that had been made from radioactive scrap iron that unscrupulous Chinese traders had bought for disposal but sold instead. Similar to the Chinese baby milk formula, pet food, shrimp for human consumption businesses, etc. etc. etc. where poisons are being sold and the welfare of consumers is seen as being subordinate to making money any way possible.

The impact on many consumer items from Japan will come from the fact that the plastics business is so concentrated in Japan. Plastics shortages will effect just about everything.

#1646307 - 03/23/11 04:55 AM Re: what about the impact of the Japan nuclear reactor fallout [Re: masaki]
kurtie Offline

Originally Posted By: masaki
I would suggest you to wash or boil the pianos or the cars in the water before you would eat or swallow them.

Brilliant comment! That made me laugh out loud. grin

Yes, I would not be worried on any non edible product coming from Japan, they will be perfectly fine. Having a piano whose keys would glow in the dark could be funny (and without wires!), but that is not going to happen. Does not work that way. Concern is on edible products, but everything else is just as fine as ever. The nuclear accident is very serious but there is no need to overreact.

By the way, if someone receives a gorgeous japanese piano and suspects it could be radioactive, please, send it to me... grin

Edit, the above assert also can be applied to cars, computers or any expensive gear...

Edited by kurtie (03/23/11 04:59 AM)
Edit Reason: Adding more nonsense to the post

#1646308 - 03/23/11 05:03 AM Re: what about the impact of the Japan nuclear reactor fallout [Re: chen]
mric Offline

For goodness sake, the nuclear power plant issue in Japan is, in the context of the huge disaster of the earthquake and tsunami, not the biggest problem.

Radiation levels are lower in Tokyo than background in any granite buildings. There are some short-lived isotopes (radio-iodine has a half-life of 8 days, most of the rest of the radioactive particles have half-lives of minutes)coming from the nuclear plants, but the international press seems intent on focusing on the nuclear issue above the real tragedy of the situation.

Piano prices (like all prices) will be hurt by damage to supply chains and the economic cost of rebuilding. If any country uses unsubstantiated radiation concerns to put in place trade restrictions on Japan they should be deeply ashamed. If any individual holds back from buying Japanese products for the same reason they should get an education.

#1646389 - 03/23/11 09:17 AM Re: what about the impact of the Japan nuclear reactor fallout [Re: mric]
Steve Cohen Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
Originally Posted By: mric
For goodness sake, the nuclear power plant issue in Japan is, in the context of the huge disaster of the earthquake and tsunami, not the biggest problem.

Radiation levels are lower in Tokyo than background in any granite buildings. There are some short-lived isotopes (radio-iodine has a half-life of 8 days, most of the rest of the radioactive particles have half-lives of minutes)coming from the nuclear plants, but the international press seems intent on focusing on the nuclear issue above the real tragedy of the situation.

Piano prices (like all prices) will be hurt by damage to supply chains and the economic cost of rebuilding. If any country uses unsubstantiated radiation concerns to put in place trade restrictions on Japan they should be deeply ashamed. If any individual holds back from buying Japanese products for the same reason they should get an education.

+1

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#1647071 - 03/24/11 09:20 AM Re: what about the impact of the Japan nuclear reactor fallout [Re: chen]
Aliwally Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Washington, D.C.
I talked to my cousin who has been living in Japan for over 30 years. He told me things are pretty bad regardless what you see on TV, multiply it by 100x. He lives in Tokyo, about 200 miles from the main strike point. He is a business man and told me, As far as export and import, it will only get worst before it gets better. The company he works for is already losing money, and might have to let some people go, or extend pay cuts. He also feels Japan as a whole in later months will have increased taxes, pay cuts, etc...which will affect everything they build, import & export. It's HUGE!!!

Always look ahead, but never look back. - Miles Davis

#1647241 - 03/24/11 02:36 PM Re: what about the impact of the Japan nuclear reactor fallout [Re: chen]
AJB Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, England
I think some of the economic analysis we are seeing her about Japan (price "skyrocketing") is probably materially wrong. We must remember that we are dealing with a global economy. If japan simply increases prices the effect, in a short period of time, will be to drive demand away to other economies.

My wife sources a lot of electronic and technical material globally (she is a supply chain director in a US business) and she can shift sourcing from Japan to other parts of the world quite easily, the biggest short term impediment being tooling costs.

The Japanese are resilient and resourceful. They will get their act together pretty quickly in my view.

Take a look at the investment market. Some serious western investors are actively stalking Japanese industry to pick up bargains. Many players have a far more positive view of Japans future than some people here.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
72 registered (Atrys, Akshay, B.Petrovic, ando, 20 invisible), 1079 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74250 Members
42 Forums
153598 Topics
2251172 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Easter Themed Recordings - Kawai CA95
by wolferblade
12 minutes 48 seconds ago
First recordings - Some music for Easter
by wolferblade
Today at 01:01 AM
Recorded a song on my workstation tonight
by Arizona Sage
Today at 12:04 AM
How to tune a piano.....
by Grandpianoman
Yesterday at 11:46 PM
Need help with upgrading(?) Roland digital
by Pathbreaker
Yesterday at 10:23 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission