Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#1646091 - 03/22/11 08:01 PM Re: Postmortem Daguerreotype of Chopin?? [Re: -Frycek]
Elene Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: near keyboard, mouth open
Jack, that isn't the bust I was talking about by Clésinger. I've seen it before (or at least a similar one) from a different angle; he seems to have added quite a bit of fat to Chopin's face here. I've never seen it in a front view so it's nice at least to have the opportunity.

I was thinking of this one...

... which I was told was done by Clésinger, but at the moment I'm not sure I'm sure of anything!

And if all these images aren't enough (and they aren't!), you can always check out Sim Chopin:
http://www.modthesims.info/d/195158

Elene

Blog: http://elenedom.wordpress.com

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1646657 - 03/23/11 04:50 PM Re: Postmortem Daguerreotype of Chopin?? [Re: Elene]
Deleted account Offline

Originally Posted By: Elene
Jack, that isn't the bust I was talking about by Clésinger. I've seen it before (or at least a similar one) from a different angle; he seems to have added quite a bit of fat to Chopin's face here. I've never seen it in a front view so it's nice at least to have the opportunity.

I was thinking of this one...

... which I was told was done by Clésinger, but at the moment I'm not sure I'm sure of anything!

And if all these images aren't enough (and they aren't!), you can always check out Sim Chopin:
http://www.modthesims.info/d/195158

Elene

That's a relief as I never liked the other one! Yes I forgot about this one. It's wonderful and obviously very closely copied from the death mask, as opposed to from imagination. The hidden smile you mention is there, and in fact I sometimes see a trace of that on the death mask itself in certain directions. It's clearly a great piece of sculpting, assuming it's Clesinger!

What's interesting is when you put all these images together, including the two photographic images you begin to get a pretty good idea of his real appearance. But then how did his face move? Clearly it was very mobile (all those brilliant impersonations he could do) and since so many artists made him look quite different my guess is his face was changing all the time. Alas that is something we will just have to continue to imagine.

I would still like to learn more about that first death mask (assuming it's Chopin). (By the way I found the image through google quite easily! - tourist shots from Crakow and Warsaw). Could Chopin's breathing difficulties really have caused his mouth to cave in like that or was that simply damage caused by Clesinger as he made the mask after Chopin's death? Also the distance from the nose to the mouth (on this first death mask) looks far greater than in the photographs and 2nd death mask. The nose looks as though it could be Chopin's though it's not exactly the same shape as the 2nd mask. Have you ever read where this mask came from, other than in Eisler's book? Perhaps Jeff Kallberg could share some light here. I first heard about this 'first' death mask in the early 1980s but don't know much about its provenance.

Jack

Edited by JackGibbons (03/23/11 05:10 PM)

#1646793 - 03/23/11 08:49 PM Re: Postmortem Daguerreotype of Chopin?? [Re: Deleted account]
Jeff Kallberg Offline

So I've got a bit too much on my plate at present to sort all this out, but I can point Polish readers to a couple good articles about the death mask and the daguerreotype(s). First is a very thorough account of the various versions of the death mask, including the first version reproduced in this thread:

Czesław Sielużycki, “Prace Chopinowskie rzeźbiarza Jean-Baptiste-Auguste Clésinger: Studium dokumentacyjne i porównawcze,” Rocznik Chopinowski 16 (1984): 119-151

He's quite convincing on the authenticity of the first version.

And for recent research on the daguerreotype, see:

Małgorzata Maria Grabczewska, “Powstanie i historia dagerotypowych wizerunków Fryderyka Chopina: Nowe ustalenia,” Muzyka 53 (2008): 75-86

Jeff Kallberg

Edited by Jeff Kallberg (03/23/11 08:49 PM)

#1646807 - 03/23/11 09:04 PM Re: Postmortem Daguerreotype of Chopin?? [Re: -Frycek]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
I love the bust posted by Elene - so peaceful, so beautiful: truly Chopin...

Music is my best friend.

#1646920 - 03/24/11 12:55 AM Re: Postmortem Daguerreotype of Chopin?? [Re: -Frycek]
Elene Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: near keyboard, mouth open
I haven't had any luck tracking down the articles Jeff mentioned, except for brief descriptions of them, but here is a page from the Bibliotheque Polonaise in Paris that has yet another portrait I'd never seen before:

http://www.bibliotheque-polonaise-paris-shlp.fr/index.php?id_page=20461

I also came across a play someone was putting on in Krakow, "Chopin vs. Szopen"-- about the real man having to come to terms with the national icon. A fascinating concept since they are not really the same, and the actual man may well find the legendary one a bit irritating! The article about it pointed out that we don't really know what he looked like.

Well, we do more or less, if we kind of put all the images together superimposed in our minds.

Elene

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
134 registered (Alkanaut, 36251, accordeur, Almaviva, ando, 43 invisible), 1398 Guests and 47 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74256 Members
42 Forums
153602 Topics
2251230 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Action regulating
by pater57
Today at 08:59 AM
Kurzweil SP5-8 as main studio keyboard/stage piano
by Barty
Today at 08:33 AM
Greg Pauley in Concert June 1st, Sunday 3:30pm
by Larry Buck
Today at 07:58 AM
Happy Easter!
by Marko in Boston
Today at 06:58 AM
Easter Themed Recordings - Kawai CA95
by wolferblade
Today at 04:55 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission