Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1646696 - 03/23/11 05:49 PM Farewell to my teacher...
feebeeliszt Offline

Loc: London
I will have to say bye to my teacher in about 3 months. I am now thinking of preparing something memorable for him before I go. Do you think these are too much??

1. (I probably can't do it) Compose a piece dedicated to him and play it during my last lesson
2. (alternative to no. 1) Learn a piece about farewell by myself without letting him know. Play it for my last lesson
3. a gift
4. a thank you letter/card

Plus, I don't know what to prepare for my secret repertoire and my gift. So please do give me some suggestions smile

I don't want to leave him frown frown cry

Edited by feebee_liszt (03/23/11 05:50 PM)

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1646817 - 03/23/11 09:22 PM Re: Farewell to my teacher... [Re: feebeeliszt]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Why do you have to leave him? frown frown

A card is always a nice gift, as simple as it is... smile And maybe you could play Schubert's Farewell (Abschied) (if you can sing, you could even sing it).

PS: I know how it is. I always hated to leave teachers I loved. cry

Music is my best friend.

#1646877 - 03/23/11 10:51 PM Re: Farewell to my teacher... [Re: feebeeliszt]
Akira Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
How about recording a video of yourself (maybe your most polished piece, or the one you're most proud of) and put it up on youtube -- something you and your teacher had worked on together?

To me its like a musical photograph, something s/he can look back upon with hopefully fond memories. I think your teacher will have a sense of gratitude knowing s/he had something to do with your fine performance and development.

#1646962 - 03/24/11 03:56 AM Re: Farewell to my teacher... [Re: ChopinAddict]
feebeeliszt Offline

Originally Posted By: ChopinAddict

A card is always a nice gift, as simple as it is... smile And maybe you could play Schubert's Farewell (Abschied) (if you can sing, you could even sing it).

frown
It is because I am going to music college after this school year. It really should be a happy thing - he helped me to achieve what I thought was impossible. Having lessons with him is always the most enjoyable thing in the world.

The Schubert (I looked at the transcription to piano by Liszt) is a little bit too hard (After all, I need to learn it without my teacher's help). But I have come up to some random ideas
- Chopin Impromptu Op. 29 No. 1 in Ab major
- Chopin Nocturne in C# minor, posthumous
- A selections of 2-3 pieces from Mendelssohn Songs without words

#1647120 - 03/24/11 10:39 AM Re: Farewell to my teacher... [Re: feebeeliszt]
kissyana Offline

Loc: Northeast Illinois
Originally Posted By: feebee_liszt
It really should be a happy thing - he helped me to achieve what I thought was impossible. Having lessons with him is always the most enjoyable thing in the world.

Write this in a card to him. It will mean to world to him! Preparing a piece for him is a very thoughtful idea as well.

#1647122 - 03/24/11 10:41 AM Re: Farewell to my teacher... [Re: feebeeliszt]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL

frown
It is because I am going to music college after this school year. It really should be a happy thing - he helped me to achieve what I thought was impossible. Having lessons with him is always the most enjoyable thing in the world.

The Schubert (I looked at the transcription to piano by Liszt) is a little bit too hard (After all, I need to learn it without my teacher's help). But I have come up to some random ideas

Who is his favorite composer? I would think one of the Chopin ones would be good (dont' know a pianist who doesn't like Chopin!), but really a card would mean a lot to him too.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1647157 - 03/24/11 11:44 AM Re: Farewell to my teacher... [Re: feebeeliszt]
Jose Hidalgo Offline

Do a combination of a Card with something nice written like kissyana suggested AND

options:

1) Recorded Music: some jazz maybe, I gave a CD of Diana Krall to my teacher and she really loved it

2) Written music with your note on the first page

3) A nice thing to put over the piano, for example something like this:
http://www.pianosupplies.com/pianos/Upright_39103.html
http://www.pianosupplies.com/pianos/4_5C1.html
http://www.pianosupplies.com/pianos/PencilSharpener_3001.html
http://www.pianosupplies.com/pianos/420005_MT.html

Good luck !

Edited by Jose Hidalgo (03/24/11 11:46 AM)

#1647174 - 03/24/11 12:08 PM Re: Farewell to my teacher... [Re: Akira]
feebeeliszt Offline

Originally Posted By: Akira
How about recording a video of yourself (maybe your most polished piece, or the one you're most proud of) and put it up on youtube -- something you and your teacher had worked on together?

To me its like a musical photograph, something s/he can look back upon with hopefully fond memories. I think your teacher will have a sense of gratitude knowing s/he had something to do with your fine performance and development.

Thanks. Maybe I will surprise him by giving him the link of my youtube channel on my signature smile

#1647798 - 03/25/11 01:17 PM Re: Farewell to my teacher... [Re: Morodiene]
feebeeliszt Offline

Originally Posted By: Morodiene

frown

Who is his favorite composer? I would think one of the Chopin ones would be good (dont' know a pianist who doesn't like Chopin!), but really a card would mean a lot to him too.

I have just found out his favourite pieces through his friends - beethoven waldstein, chopin barcarolle, b minor sonata - too hard for me to learn in 3 months. I will just concentrate on my current repertoire frown

But I have just started writing a piece for him and have gone to about 50 bars. It sounds awful but hope he doesn't mind.

#1647801 - 03/25/11 01:21 PM Re: Farewell to my teacher... [Re: feebeeliszt]
Akira Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I think that is a wonderful and thoughtful idea.

A peronsalized gift from the heart, such as a song you wrote for him, will be appreciated a thousands times more than any store-bought gift. Doesn't mind if it sounds awful -- it "really is" the thought that counts the most.

#1647956 - 03/25/11 05:54 PM Re: Farewell to my teacher... [Re: feebeeliszt]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I am sure it doesn't sound awful at all and that he will be proud of you. I would be very moved if someone wrote a piece for me. smile

Is this waltz by Chopin in your repertoire? It is called L'Adieu too, so maybe it is appropriate.

I kept in touch with some of my teachers. I even got birthday wishes from one the other day!

Music is my best friend.

#1648005 - 03/25/11 07:59 PM Re: Farewell to my teacher... [Re: feebeeliszt]
RonaldSteinway Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Buy him a nice two set hardcover Beethoven Sonata from Henle Urtext, and write that you really appreciate all his teaching blah...blah....blah....Don't just give a card, it is not mean too much. Give something good....If you really like him as a teacher, you want to give something meaningful.

#1648027 - 03/25/11 09:11 PM Re: Farewell to my teacher... [Re: RonaldSteinway]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
Originally Posted By: RonaldSteinway
Don't just give a card, it is not mean too much. Give something good....If you really like him as a teacher, you want to give something meaningful.
And don't you think sincere words written with gratitude are meaningful?

If I were the teacher I'd love the hardback Henle Beethoven, of course (though it would set you back nearly two hundred dollars here!) - but perhaps he already has it.

PS I love the writing him a piece idea!

#1648078 - 03/25/11 10:46 PM Re: Farewell to my teacher... [Re: currawong]
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: currawong
Don't just give a card, it is not mean too much. Give something good....If you really like him as a teacher, you want to give something meaningful.

If I were the teacher I'd love the hardback Henle Beethoven, of course (though it would set you back nearly two hundred dollars here!) - but perhaps he already has it.

Nope...everybody can write nice words! But the willingness to give or spend on something is the sign of deep gratitude, and appreciation.

#1648081 - 03/25/11 10:50 PM Re: Farewell to my teacher... [Re: RonaldSteinway]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Nope...everybody can write nice words! But the willingness to give or spend on something is the sign of deep gratitude.
I would have said anyone can spend money on a fancy gift, but taking the time to think and frame a sincere written message is a sign of deep gratitude. smile

Of course either, neither or both can be a sign of deep gratitude. It depends on the attitude of the giver.

#1648136 - 03/26/11 12:39 AM Re: Farewell to my teacher... [Re: currawong]
1000 Post Club Member

Nope...everybody can write nice words! But the willingness to give or spend on something is the sign of deep gratitude.
I would have said anyone can spend money on a fancy gift, but taking the time to think and frame a sincere written message is a sign of deep gratitude. smile

Of course either, neither or both can be a sign of deep gratitude. It depends on the attitude of the giver.

Go to a market spend $2 for a card and write blah...blah...blah.
Go to the internet and spend $100 on whatever hard cover Henle Urtext....Which one is the bigger sacrifice? Lip service is easy...real sacrifice (spending serious money) is not....only when the receiver means a lot that people want to sacrifice.

#1648139 - 03/26/11 12:54 AM Re: Farewell to my teacher... [Re: RonaldSteinway]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Which one is the bigger sacrifice? Lip service is easy...real sacrifice (spending serious money) is not....only when the receiver means a lot that people want to sacrifice.
There are plenty of other reasons for people to spend big on a farewell gift - guilt, feeling of obligation, desire to look good or generous etc. Pity about anyone who can't afford an expensive gift if that's the only way to truly show gratitude.

Anyway, it doesn't sound like I'll convince you, so I'll just say again: Either, neither or both can be a sign of deep gratitude. It all depends on the attitude of the giver.

I personally would rather have sincere words on a card than an expensive present bought out of a sense of obligation.

#1648147 - 03/26/11 01:08 AM Re: Farewell to my teacher... [Re: currawong]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I personally would rather have sincere words on a card than an expensive present bought out of a sense of obligation.

Me too... smile

Music is my best friend.

#1648156 - 03/26/11 02:11 AM Re: Farewell to my teacher... [Re: ChopinAddict]
AZNpiano Online   sleepy
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA

Me too... smile

Me three!

Actually, I'd love to have my student write me a piece of music and perform it for me. That will speak louder than any Henle Urtext volume. I have all the Henles that I need, and then some.

#1648177 - 03/26/11 04:31 AM Re: Farewell to my teacher... [Re: ChopinAddict]
feebeeliszt Offline

I am sure it doesn't sound awful at all and that he will be proud of you. I would be very moved if someone wrote a piece for me. smile

Is this waltz by Chopin in your repertoire? It is called L'Adieu too, so maybe it is appropriate.

I kept in touch with some of my teachers. I even got birthday wishes from one the other day!

It is really a GREAT one! Thanks, I am going to learn this one smile

#1648180 - 03/26/11 04:36 AM Re: Farewell to my teacher... [Re: currawong]
feebeeliszt Offline

I will look at the Henle idea! My teacher has already got one. But the book is on the edge of parting into pieces even though I helped him to make a dust jacket. I guess maybe he would like a new one.

#1648575 - 03/26/11 08:34 PM Re: Farewell to my teacher... [Re: feebeeliszt]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

It is really a GREAT one! Thanks, I am going to learn this one smile

thumb

If you make a video, you could also use some video editing software to add some text... what you would like to tell your teacher...
Keep us updated! smile

Music is my best friend.

#1649441 - 03/28/11 10:33 AM Re: Farewell to my teacher... [Re: feebeeliszt]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
it it likely that he will miss you as much as you'll miss him. I've gotten quite attached to a few of my students over the years, which means mostly all of them because I've had so few. It would be neat if you could get a photograph of the two of you together..

I like the idea of writing him a piece (and recording it with the photo perhaps on the jacket).

love and peace, ├Ľun (apple in Estonian)

#1649690 - 03/28/11 05:02 PM Re: Farewell to my teacher... [Re: apple*]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: apple*
It would be neat if you could get a photograph of the two of you together..

I like the idea of writing him a piece (and recording it with the photo perhaps on the jacket).
Excellent idea. And you will be happy you have a copy of the photo too! I treasure the photo I have displayed in my studio, of me and my teacher, taken in 1967 smile

#1649754 - 03/28/11 06:25 PM Re: Farewell to my teacher... [Re: currawong]
feebeeliszt Offline

Originally Posted By: apple*
It would be neat if you could get a photograph of the two of you together..

Excellent idea. And you will be happy you have a copy of the photo too! I treasure the photo I have displayed in my studio, of me and my teacher, taken in 1967 smile

I actually wanted to ask him to play a piano duet with me and make recordings or perform it. But unfortunately, he doesn't like piano duet because it makes him feel uncomfortable (too little space) frown

#1650054 - 03/29/11 07:20 AM Re: Farewell to my teacher... [Re: currawong]
1000 Post Club Member

Which one is the bigger sacrifice? Lip service is easy...real sacrifice (spending serious money) is not....only when the receiver means a lot that people want to sacrifice.
There are plenty of other reasons for people to spend big on a farewell gift - guilt, feeling of obligation, desire to look good or generous etc. Pity about anyone who can't afford an expensive gift if that's the only way to truly show gratitude.

Anyway, it doesn't sound like I'll convince you, so I'll just say again: Either, neither or both can be a sign of deep gratitude. It all depends on the attitude of the giver.

Where did the obligation come from? There is no such obligation. You just made up all the excuses for the sake of your argument.

Think this way, suppose you know that your student who is leaving does not have a lot of money, and give you a Henle hardcover edition. You know that this person made sacrifice more than just bought a card in the neighborhood market and wrote flowery words. Everybody can just buy a card, but not everybody is WILLING to sacrifice. It shows the three of you are not willing to part with your money. That is why there is an adage "EASIER SAID THAN DONE (spend)" ha

#1650396 - 03/29/11 04:42 PM Re: Farewell to my teacher... [Re: RonaldSteinway]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Where did the obligation come from? There is no such obligation...You know that this person made sacrifice more than just bought a card in the neighborhood market and wrote flowery words.
And where did the flowery words come from? I was talking about sincerely expressed gratitude. You're not listening to my point of view and I think I've listened to yours for long enough, so let's just agree to disagree. Over and out.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
152 registered (accordeur, ajames, Anne'sson, 46 invisible), 1634 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157243 Topics
2309475 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
all BBCode tags are broken
by beet31425
09/02/14 03:13 PM
Write melody contrapuntally
by kobethuy
09/02/14 03:03 PM
Yamaha N2 or CLP545
by Butteman
09/02/14 02:14 PM
Scale & Arp exercises that sounds good to people in lounge
by FarmGirl
09/02/14 01:56 PM
New to Piano World, Seeking Advice on a Spinet Regulation
by HelloMrZebra
09/02/14 01:38 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission