2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, 13 invisible), 1,912 guests, and 351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 540 1 2 3 539 540

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Well, after a lesson that didn't go as well as I hoped last week, I'm fighting for some perspective. I have a tendency to expect too much too soon, and I feel crushed when I fall short of what I thought I could do.

So, I confess, I've been moping a bit. However, having read Teodor's "I'm proud of myself" thread, and Mr. Super-Hunky's comment that we need more threads like that, I thought "I'm not the only one who needs a reality check every now and then".

So...... my problem last week was that I thought I'd pretty much memorized 2 pieces (one I'd been working on for a while, and one fairly new). When I tried to play them for my teacher I flubbed them beautifully.

Where is the success story here you ask?
Well, as part of effort to memorize and really get one of the pieces down pat, I decided to write it out. The first time I made quite a few errors, the second only 2 or 3 (it is about 20 measures long).
I also spent some time singing it away from the keyboard.
I then managed to play it twice, from memory, without a single error.
Just as a note, my teacher doesn't insist that I learn everything by heart, but she does encourage me to do so. Her logic is that if you know a piece by heart you "own" it in a special way.

It isn't a stunning success, but I have made progress and am focusing on that!

What are you pleased with this week?

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
You managed to write them on paper? I'd say that's pretty impressive, I can do that but only if I have a piano near me to see which notes I'm playing or if I use software that plays what I've written in the sheet.

I'm pleased with finishing 2 pieces that I thought I wasn't going to get a pass on. I was pointing out some bad things about my playing of those but my teacher said I am way too self-critical and she gave me a pass, she said I played them good enough for my current level of experience and that I should be glad I managed to do so smile

Last edited by Teodor; 05/12/10 02:58 AM.

[Linked Image]
Recitals:[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
"If you know a piece by heart, you *own* it in a special way"

Oh SOOO true. I couldn't agree more as memorizing a piece allows me to spend more time working on the piece itself. The emotion, inflections, etc as opposed to concentrating on reading the score.

I know this is counterproductive in terms of improving your sightreading abilites and CAN understand a teachers objection to memorizing, however I have different goals.

Anyway, congrats on your accomplishment and thanks for the POSITIVE post. Really!

My piano accomplishment this week is a little different as it hasn't happened yet. It involves moving a 1,200 lb 7 ft grand piano up 32 steps into our summer home. We have had this done several years already without any equipment other than the custom built "cradle" the piano is placed in. It's amazing what 6 piano movers and me cracking the whip can accomplish as the piano is HAND CARRIED all the way up (and down) every year as there is no other way to do it.

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by mr_super-hunky

My piano accomplishment this week is a little different as it hasn't happened yet. It involves moving a 1,200 lb 7 ft grand piano up 32 steps into our summer home. We have had this done several years already without any equipment other than the custom built "cradle" the piano is placed in. It's amazing what 6 piano movers and me cracking the whip can accomplish as the piano is HAND CARRIED all the way up (and down) every year as there is no other way to do it.

You do that every year? Wow! It reminds me of that old joke about someone seeing their neighbor having a concert grand moved out of the house, then back in later in the day. Next day, same thing. Next day, same thing. This repeats every day for a couple of weeks and he finally asks what's going on. The neighbor says "I'm taking piano lessons".

Greg

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Teodor
You managed to write them on paper? I'd say that's pretty impressive, I can do that but only if I have a piano near me to see which notes I'm playing or if I use software that plays what I've written in the sheet.

I'm pleased with finishing 2 pieces that I thought I wasn't going to get a pass on. I was pointing out some bad things about my playing of those but my teacher said I am way too self-critical and she gave me a pass, she said I played them good enough for my current level of experience and that I should be glad I managed to do so smile

Yes, I did them on paper smile . It was a very interesting exercise.
My teacher tells me I am way too self-critical as well. I think the hardest thing is not learning the piano , but learning to be patient with myself!

MR S.-H. .... My teacher has me do sight reading too! She really creates a marvellous blend of activities and challenges for me. I simply love my teacher!
At the moment I can either read and play, or not read and mostly play..:) - but I can't really move back and forth between the two.

The interesting thing is that I have a rather spectacular memory, yet I feel I have trouble memorizing this piece. It is a very strange phenomenon.

Good luck with your piano moving!!!

[Linked Image]

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Yup, Greg, you've got a "BB" also. You know how heavy they are. The the move is gentler than even moving it to another room in the house because as I said, we all pick it up..(mostly them).

The piano is gently tilted on its side and the legs removed (5 minutes). The piano is then placed in a special carpeted cradle (7 foot long modified dolly ) and picked up like a casket to be carried up the stairs. The paino is covered in movers blankets and then ratchet strapped to the cradle for all kinds of obvious reasons. The entire move up the stairs takes less than 1-2 minutes. Legs go back on and I'm good to go.

Everyone gets caffeinated drinks and pizza (starch = energy) as well as a several minute "warm up" of push ups to prep for the event.

I'm always so happy when the job is complete until the realization that now I've got to pay everyone. That part hurts!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
BTW, why is nobody sleeping?, its 2:00 in the morning!

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Well, actually it is 10 in the morning for me. . . . I can't explain the others.

[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
11 in the morning here.

[Linked Image]
Recitals:[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
H
H
Awesome memorization and if I had a dollar for everytime I flubbed something in front of the teacher...

This week I managed to play through Mendelssohn op. 53, no. 1. Probably at about half tempo and with several pauses you could drive a bus through (Monicaâ„¢). But it's a beautiful piece and I'll hopefully manage it at tempo some day.

6:48am here. I've got coffee. Mmmmm...coffee.

They don't call him super-hunky for nothing. smile

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I'm guessing it's a bigger challenge to move the llamas than your BB, hunky! grin Or, at the very least, messier!

My big success this week was getting a recording of my recital piece that didn't make me want to barf. thumb

...not that there's not room for improvement, and since the cutoff for submissions is still two days away, I think I'll go fire up the ol' Zoom for yet another go-around.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My accomplishment for the week (so far) has been learning where to put the trills in my Purcell Minuet and learning to do them with a turn.
It would be really great if I could actually do the trill (they sound really pathetic right now), but I will be satisfied with knowing where they go and the notes involved.

Casinitaly: that is very impressive that you can write the piece out. I have tried to do that, but have failed miserably. I am beginning to understand what everyone means by "muscle memory" now. I only think I have my piece memorized. Thanks for the idea though, it is a challenge I will work toward.

Christine

[Linked Image]
Im looking forward to trying trills out properly. I want to play a lot of blues and boogie piano and trills are a must. cant quite manage them at the moment though.

Yamaha P90
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I learned to roll my wrists to get the proper "grace" out of grace notes. They actually sound good now.

Gary
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Fortunately the week is young, as I have achieved nothing yet this week of significance. help

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
M
M
Originally Posted by BenPiano
Fortunately the week is young, as I have achieved nothing yet this week of significance. help

Same here, I have a feeling I will though smile

[Linked Image]
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BB Player
Originally Posted by mr_super-hunky

You do that every year? Wow! It reminds me of that old joke about someone seeing their neighbor having a concert grand moved out of the house, then back in later in the day. Next day, same thing. Next day, same thing. This repeats every day for a couple of weeks and he finally asks what's going on. The neighbor says "I'm taking piano lessons".

Reminds me of the old joke about the young husband who comes home to find the family piano in the process of reposession. He turns to his wife, "I thought I gave you the money to make the payment!" She whispers back, "You did dear, but I decided I wanted it downstairs."

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Casinitaly

I think the hardest thing is not learning the piano , but learning to be patient with myself!

+1 to that thought. I had a terrible lesson this week, mainly because that morning I found one of my dogs "playing around" with a coral snake. Coral snake venom is a neurotoxin, it can take hours for symptoms to appear, is nearly always fatal, and there's no antivenin available (not for dogs, anyway). So you wait and see if anything happens. cursing Fortunately corals have to chew on the victim a bit to deliver their venom and we were lucky this time. Anyway, it was not a good lesson and I was berating myself when my teacher reminded me that it was totally understandable that I'd be distracted and off center that day.

My closest thing to achievement this week is coming home last nite and pulling out a lead sheet for Lennon/McCartney's In My Life that I downloaded. Made it through on the first reading with slow pace but able to add most of the indicated chords with a little fumbling. I definitely could not have done that a few months ago. grin I don't allow myself much time for this sort of thing, but maybe I should because I enjoy it and it is sightreading practice I guess.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Someone, I think KeyboardKlutz, said you have to get the pieces into your memory where the adrenaline can't get at them. It sounds like a brillian plan - I'm still working out how to do it!
I tried writing out another simple piece (Air/Purcell)last night and found that I realy just couldn't do it -it was incredibly patchy...so clearly more study is in order.The other piece I've been working on (Lilla, Vinciguerra) is coming along VERY well.

I am not doing trills or grace notes yet, (except by accident when I stumble about after an error!), compliments to those of you who are making progress on that!

I went through my exercise book last night picking out pieces at random and trying some sight reading. I certainly didn't notice any great change in my speed at sight reading, but I'm starting to feel that it is smoother and that's a good thing!

What I'm really wondering about is this memory thing. Obviously I can do the writing out exercises for short simple pieces, but once I start playing longer, more complicated bits, how is that going to work?
Maybe by then the other aspects of playing will be easier and the memory work will come more easily?
I guess I'll find out!

Jim - I hope your dog is ok!!! Glad you found something fun to offset your disappointment with your lesson (though I can not imagine that anyone would have had a great lesson after such an upset!)

[Linked Image]

Nearly got my musette down, and managed to pull of the mordent at the end of the Menuet in G with the 3th and 4th fingers. (Anna Magdalena notebook! heart)

Also progressing fairly well in the blues exercises by Oscar Peterson that my teacher gave me.

I kind of grinded to a halt in Alfred's book 1 though, but the week isn't over yet so I may still work on that!

Last edited by Pianosaurus Rex; 05/13/10 08:39 AM.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Student/apprentice technician
Page 1 of 540 1 2 3 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission