2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (bcalvanese, 20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 11 invisible), 1,921 guests, and 266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
cardguy Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
...someone else is playing it?

OK, ok, big fat softball :>) I mean, besides the fact that just about anyone I'm listening to is better than I am...

Like last night I was watching The Deer Hunter for the 8000th time and listening to George Dzundza play Chopin's 15-3, I was struck all over again by how achingly beautiful it is, even on the beat-up vertical he's supposedly playing it on (I read it's probably dubbed). I've been working on this off and on, and as with just about anything I play for a while, it's a struggle to listen to my own playing with fresh ears...

This must be related to my ongoing struggle to hear myself more accurately, something I work on but as I said, still a struggle...

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
If I'm trying to listen to or judge a piano's tone I wouldn't play something that's difficult for me because that would cause some degree of distraction. Maybe when you listen to someone else play you can focus completely on the beauty of the piece without being distracted by performing.

If the performances you listen to are by a professional it's only natural that your own playing would sound less beautiful in comparison. But I think that's a good thing because if you can figure out why you like their playing better, it will help make your playing more beautiful. (Of course, if you broke down a got a teacher, you wouldn't have to figure out everything for yourself!)

I don't see how one can factor out the difference in skill level between yourself and some professional. If you listen to an amateur who plays worse than you I bet they don't sound better?

Last edited by pianoloverus; 03/24/11 08:03 PM.
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
The piano, the recording, the player, the listener, all influence how a piano sounds.

It is hard to actually hear the piano to the degree you want when you are playing it, concentrating on your music.

If you want to gauge your own playing better, I recommend you acquire a small recorder to capture exactly what you are doing, so when you listen to it you can be more objective.

Invariably, when someone comes over to play the acoustic at my place, it always sounds better to me than when I play it.

Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think its probably the same reason that food 'seems' to taste better when someone else cooks it. The 'closeness' to the activity somehow interferes with objectivity. Just a theory.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
If I am playing beautifully, it sounds as beautiful to me as if someone else was playing. Is that weird?

B
B
Acoustically the worst seat in the house is at the keyboard. When I play I don't get to hear the completeness of sound that I hear when someone else is playing and I am seated near the tail of the grand. I love to hear others play my concert grand so i know what a wonderful instrument it really is.

I always laugh to myself when I enter a concert hall for a solo recital and see the audience crowded over to the left side of the hall (they want to watch the hands, I guess). I came to listen - so I have the pick of good seats on the right side where IMHO the sound comes together in the room and is glorious. Try it sometime. We all know the fingers go up and down and work the keys. Close your eyes and enjoy the beauty of the acoustics of the instrument and the hall.

1904 Henry F. Miller Concert Grand * 2002 Estonia 190 Satin Bubinga * 2008 Schulze-Pohlman vertical 125 polished cherrywood peacock design * 2008 Schoenhut minature grand (49 keys) * 2008 Roland Digital Harpsichord, 2010 Roland FP-4 (88 key slab).
M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
When you add a moving video to a wonderful piece of music it also adds to the depth of the experience.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Akira
I think its probably the same reason that food 'seems' to taste better when someone else cooks it. The 'closeness' to the activity somehow interferes with objectivity. Just a theory.

I think it goes both ways though. As a player we may think we are playing all the notes nicely, but we may actually be fudging a lot of notes, but we are so embroiled in the task of playing that we don't hear things as accurately as an objective listener. The objective listener may be hearing a big unarticulated mess.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Bachsky

I always laugh to myself when I enter a concert hall for a solo recital and see the audience crowded over to the left side of the hall (they want to watch the hands, I guess). I came to listen - so I have the pick of good seats on the right side where IMHO the sound comes together in the room and is glorious.

I understand where you're coming from, but for me, the big attraction of a live concert is the visual aspect. Particularly if it is a pianist, well yes, I'll try to sit where I can see the hands.

Otherwise, it is certainly more convenient to sit in the comfort of one's home and listen to a recording. That way it doesn't make any difference where you sit.

Jason
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wr
If I am playing beautifully, it sounds as beautiful to me as if someone else was playing. Is that weird?

No, I feel the same way. I'm not conceited, nor do I have an inflated sense of my abilities, but when I'm playing well, the act of playing imparts a sense of beauty to my ears, and it sounds as beautiful to me as I've ever heard. Hence the need to record, to understand what it sounds like to everyone else. smile

Also, certain pieces (Schoenberg, Schumann) make a lot more sense when I'm playing them than when I'm listening to someone else play, because with all that violent fluctuating, I often lose the sense of rhythm when just listening....

-J

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission