2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, Barly, 1957, 10 invisible), 2,041 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by currawong
Originally Posted by RonaldSteinway
Don't just give a card, it is not mean too much. Give something good....If you really like him as a teacher, you want to give something meaningful.
And don't you think sincere words written with gratitude are meaningful?

If I were the teacher I'd love the hardback Henle Beethoven, of course (though it would set you back nearly two hundred dollars here!) - but perhaps he already has it.

PS I love the writing him a piece idea!

I will look at the Henle idea! My teacher has already got one. But the book is on the edge of parting into pieces even though I helped him to make a dust jacket. I guess maybe he would like a new one.

The notes I handle no better than many pianists. But the pauses between the notes - ah, that is where the art resides! - Schnabel
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by feebee_liszt
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict
I am sure it doesn't sound awful at all and that he will be proud of you. I would be very moved if someone wrote a piece for me. smile

Is this waltz by Chopin in your repertoire? It is called L'Adieu too, so maybe it is appropriate.

I kept in touch with some of my teachers. I even got birthday wishes from one the other day!

It is really a GREAT one! Thanks, I am going to learn this one smile

thumb

If you make a video, you could also use some video editing software to add some text... what you would like to tell your teacher...
Keep us updated! smile

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
it it likely that he will miss you as much as you'll miss him. I've gotten quite attached to a few of my students over the years, which means mostly all of them because I've had so few. It would be neat if you could get a photograph of the two of you together..

I like the idea of writing him a piece (and recording it with the photo perhaps on the jacket).

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by apple*
It would be neat if you could get a photograph of the two of you together..

I like the idea of writing him a piece (and recording it with the photo perhaps on the jacket).
Excellent idea. And you will be happy you have a copy of the photo too! I treasure the photo I have displayed in my studio, of me and my teacher, taken in 1967 smile

Du holde Kunst...
F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by apple*
It would be neat if you could get a photograph of the two of you together..

Excellent idea. And you will be happy you have a copy of the photo too! I treasure the photo I have displayed in my studio, of me and my teacher, taken in 1967 smile

I actually wanted to ask him to play a piano duet with me and make recordings or perform it. But unfortunately, he doesn't like piano duet because it makes him feel uncomfortable (too little space) frown

The notes I handle no better than many pianists. But the pauses between the notes - ah, that is where the art resides! - Schnabel
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Which one is the bigger sacrifice? Lip service is easy...real sacrifice (spending serious money) is not....only when the receiver means a lot that people want to sacrifice.
There are plenty of other reasons for people to spend big on a farewell gift - guilt, feeling of obligation, desire to look good or generous etc. Pity about anyone who can't afford an expensive gift if that's the only way to truly show gratitude.

Anyway, it doesn't sound like I'll convince you, so I'll just say again: Either, neither or both can be a sign of deep gratitude. It all depends on the attitude of the giver.

I personally would rather have sincere words on a card than an expensive present bought out of a sense of obligation.

Where did the obligation come from? There is no such obligation. You just made up all the excuses for the sake of your argument.

Think this way, suppose you know that your student who is leaving does not have a lot of money, and give you a Henle hardcover edition. You know that this person made sacrifice more than just bought a card in the neighborhood market and wrote flowery words. Everybody can just buy a card, but not everybody is WILLING to sacrifice. It shows the three of you are not willing to part with your money. That is why there is an adage "EASIER SAID THAN DONE (spend)" ha

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Where did the obligation come from? There is no such obligation...You know that this person made sacrifice more than just bought a card in the neighborhood market and wrote flowery words.
And where did the flowery words come from? I was talking about sincerely expressed gratitude. You're not listening to my point of view and I think I've listened to yours for long enough, so let's just agree to disagree. Over and out.

Du holde Kunst...
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission