Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 10 of 215 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 214 215 >
Topic Options
#1570387 - 12/04/10 11:15 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Andy Platt Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
I managed to sight read, with very large bumps(!), McDowell's "To a wild Rose". It's a beautiful piece and, though I murdered big chunks on my way through, I did play some phrases pretty well. It would have taken me three times as long, with five times the errors, six months ago!

Kawai K3

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1570442 - 12/05/10 03:39 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
WiseBuff, that is great to hear! Inspirational!
Marybee - your family recital sounds lovely.
None of my family is nearby...... if they were I'd suggest we do this too! I'm hoping next summer I'll get to play with my nieces at least. And doesn't it feel good to sort things out during a lesson ? I think I always leave with greater enthusiasm after that sort of lesson.

Andy - good on you! ....and I think you'll have a special update for us soon?

#1570867 - 12/05/10 07:10 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
triptych317 Offline

Loc: Boston, MA
I had a recital today, and I managed to get through it without making a fool of myself, haha. It was mostly little kids and I was the second oldest there, so I wasn't all that nervous (at first...my hands started shaking halfway through.... DX). But it went alright though. I picked harder songs so that it would look like I've actually improved in the last 3 years laugh

#1571039 - 12/06/10 02:16 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Triptych, congrats for your successful recital experience. It nice to come out of a recital feeling good about your performance. I am the oldest one in my teacher’s recital. She has lots of older students but so far I am the only one who does not mind making a complete fool out of herself.

My accomplishment today = I was actually practicing my next year’s recital piece. I am planning to play the 1st and 2nd movement of Beethoven Sonata Pathetique. I practiced the part that has been giving me hard time. It requires me to keep the inner voices soft while the outer voices crescendo with staccato. I played the outer voices only about 10 min. until I get the notes crescendo with staccato right. Then added the inner voices. After about an hour of struggle, I think I finally got it although I can only play them slower than it should.
Pieces at work - Schubert Sonata D960 2nd mvmnt Andante sostenute, Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1, Haru No Umi-the Sea In Spring (Michio Miyagi) for Flute & Piano (Nov Diversity Fair at work)

#1571119 - 12/06/10 07:37 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: GlassLove]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
I've asked for a little ZoomQ for Christmas so I can be REALLY vulnerable and post recordings with PW. Next step...

Love to learn

#1571254 - 12/06/10 12:10 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: casinitaly

Now I'm wondering what you are thinking about! If it's the recital then yup ... posted. If something else I'm not sure. Do I need to ask my wife any pointed questions?! wink

Kawai K3

#1571270 - 12/06/10 12:57 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

MostImprovedDog when is your recital? These sound like "big" pieces!
WiseBuff, this is the safest environment you could hope for, for presenting your playing- don't feel vulnerable!

Andy, I meant the recital! I will go and look for your post on it!

#1571431 - 12/06/10 04:21 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Andy Platt]
MaryBee Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Originally Posted By: Andy Platt
Originally Posted By: casinitaly

Now I'm wondering what you are thinking about! If it's the recital then yup ... posted. If something else I'm not sure. Do I need to ask my wife any pointed questions?! wink

Ha ha! I thought she meant you were expecting a baby soon. laugh

But congrats on the recital performance anyway. smile You need to add one of those pianos to your signature.

#1571439 - 12/06/10 04:36 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Canonie]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Canonie. I have a notebook in which my teacher writes my assignments and any practice tips/commentary each week. In the back I keep a chronological list of all the pieces I've ever learned, and there's pages of notes I've made on some aspects of theory, a list of scales I've worked on, etc.

Your post gave me the idea to start writing on the assignment page each week. There is room for me to make an entry for each day's practice, which will be really helpful for remembering what was giving me problems the previous day, or where I need to start out the next day.

Cheryl. Its guilty admission time. You and I have the identical 50 Lounge Standards book by Coates. But <sheepish grin blush> I also went out and bought his book titled "best of the 1960's ", which is the one that has Sounds of Silence. Er...... ok, as long as I'm coming clean here... I also got his 1950's and 1930's "Decade of..." books. I did skip the 1940's book, so as you can see I have this addiction totally under control sick Whew, confession is good for the soul. I feel better already. cry

Estonia L190 #7284

#1571447 - 12/06/10 04:57 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

MaryBee.

We all have those lapses where we get sloppy in practice habits - at least I do. The worst is when you realize that you are banging away at some phrase or couple of measures for 30 minutes or an hour and not getting it right. Its at that point I usually hear a voice in my head saying "nice going, genius, now you've practiced in the wrong way to do it."

Thats why having a teacher is so helpful. The weaknesses come out at lesson time and a good teacher will zero in on the problem and get you to focus on solutions.

The acoustic search continues. I've looked at a 70's era Baldwin, a ten year old Boston, and been to five dealerships in the last three or four weeks. Played on all kinds of pianos including Steinways, Mason&Hamlin, Yamaha, Kawaii, Boston, and a few of the chinese brands. Nothing has really grabbed me yet. The used Boston was very nice and priced right, but it was their smallest model (5'1") and I really want something 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 to get a bigger bass and longer keys. I'm very interested in Masons, but the two I looked at were very old and in poor shape, poorly prepared, and overpriced. I am working with a really good technician who is also helping me find private sale candidates.

Sooner or later something is going to say buy me (I hope). thumb

Estonia L190 #7284

#1571474 - 12/06/10 05:30 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: MaryBee]
FarmGirl Offline

Andy, I laughed so hard too. Wouldn't be funny if there was actually such update from your wife.
Pieces at work - Schubert Sonata D960 2nd mvmnt Andante sostenute, Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1, Haru No Umi-the Sea In Spring (Michio Miyagi) for Flute & Piano (Nov Diversity Fair at work)

#1571491 - 12/06/10 05:50 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

My recital is in May 2011. Yeah, these are big pieces for me. It’s been taking while to learn them partly because I am busy and also I am lazy. I got myself a teacher so that someone else will put pressure on me. I’ve been with piano long enough that I know how to practice. It’s just “doing” is the hardest part. It’s much easier to play around Christmas songs than working on difficult 2 or 3 measures concentrating for a couple of hours trying to get it. My usual pattern is to start that sort of true practice the night before my lesson. My new year’s resolution is to include at least 3 days of real practice in my piano playing routines. Let’s see…

#1571524 - 12/06/10 06:23 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

TMID: (your name is really long!!! )
I'm working on improving my practice sessions too -but I'm also making sure I do a bit more "playing" smile I've got to keep my hard-learned pieces in my memory bank! smile

MaryBee I was wondering if Andy was wondering if he was going to have more news! lol....

JimF...... "Hello, My name is Jim, and I'm a sheet-music addict." smile
I'm glad you straighted out the mystery! I was feeling my book wasn't up to snuff! I'm so tempted to get more of the Dan Coates books, but I really need to wait a bit. I've already got alot of material (much of it given to me as gifts) that I can't really play!!!

You must be having fun shopping for your piano! I think my hunt was simplified by my space and budget constraints! I got the best piano for me at this moment..."fairly" quickly. It has taken me about a month but I finally feel I'm "almost" used to it! There are still some moments when I'm very startled at how loud it is. However, I also find it very interesting that I have almost NO interest in using the silent feature. If I'm dying to play late at night, I will... but for the rest, I'd almost rather not play than use the head phones. The silent sound is decent enough... but it just isn't the same thing.

I seem to have rambled a bit there.... oh well, just feeling in a good mood and a bit chatty.

#1571625 - 12/06/10 10:12 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
qtpi Offline

Loc: Hockessin, Delaware
Achievement of the week- today, I was able to play Chopin's Farewell Walrz from memory for the first time! That is big for me because memory is my weakest link. I like to memorize because even though I use sheet music when I play, I play much better when the piece is memorized.

#1571690 - 12/07/10 12:34 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
molto_agitato Offline

Loc: Washington State
I've been working on a little prelude by J.S. Bach, BWV 930. Most of the sonatinas I work on consist of melodies made up of scales passages, familiar broken chords, and basic I, IV, and V harmonies. By contrast, the pieces by J.S. Bach that I've studied are filled with intervals that are not very familiar to me, and there is a lot of awkward (awkward to me, that is), moving "deeper" into the white keys (toward the fallboard) to be able to better reach black notes. The result is, whereas I need few fingerings written in for the sonatina literature I've studied, I usually write in fingerings for every single note for J.S. Bach's pieces.

Anyway, I recently came across a book on the history of keyboard technique. In this book, there is a photograph of BWV 930, written in Bach's own hand, with Bach's own fingering for practically every note. Supposedly, this is one of the few pieces still in existence with J.S. Bach's own fingering. I compared Bach's fingerings with what I had written in, and lo and behold, except for two notes, all of the fingerings matched! So, this was a long winded way of saying perhaps I'm getting a better intuition for good fingering (hopefully).

It's a small victory, but I'll take what I can get!

#1571778 - 12/07/10 06:13 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: molto_agitato]
Canonie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: molto_agitato
Anyway, I recently came across a book on the history of keyboard technique. In this book, there is a photograph of BWV 930, written in Bach's own hand, with Bach's own fingering for practically every note. Supposedly, this is one of the few pieces still in existence with J.S. Bach's own fingering. I compared Bach's fingerings with what I had written in, and lo and behold, except for two notes, all of the fingerings matched! So, this was a long winded way of saying perhaps I'm getting a better intuition for good fingering (hopefully).

It's a small victory, but I'll take what I can get!
Thinking like Bach - that's an excellent achievement of the week! smile

Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.

#1571900 - 12/07/10 10:07 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

How cool that you've got a photo of BWV 930 written in Bach's hand! and even better that your own fingering pretty much matches his!

In my Christmas book, there is a photo of the original handwritten Silent Night, which I thought was pretty nifty.

#1571919 - 12/07/10 10:31 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
PianoU1 Offline

Loc: uk
i took my grade 6 practical exam today and it went ok, no major slip-ups, just a couple of missed notes. So relieved it is over, think i did enough to pass, we shall see. My hand was shaking at one point but i managed to keep my cool! I'm looking forward now to taking a break and just playing new pieces.

Currently working on:
Chopin Nocturne in C# Minor
Beethoven Sonata Op10.no.1
Martinu Columbine Sings
Chopin: Waltz 69 no.2
Scott Joplin: Pineapple Rag

Achievements:
Grade 1-7 Piano (LCM)
Grade 1-5 theory (LCM)

#1571942 - 12/07/10 10:59 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

GTPI - I had to go look up Chopin's Farewell waltz... It is very pretty - are you going to record it for us?

Piano U1 - CONGRATS! Mastering your nerves in an exam is a tough thing to do - I bet you feel very pleased.

Have fun relaxing with new pieces!

#1572030 - 12/07/10 01:18 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
PianoU1 Offline

thankyou Cheryl.

Currently working on:
Martinu Columbine Sings

Achievements:
Grade 1-7 Piano (LCM)
Grade 1-5 theory (LCM)

#1572036 - 12/07/10 01:23 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
qtpi Offline

i am too computer illiterate and much too shy to post a recording. But I will post a recording someone made of the band I play flute in:

http://ptmvideo.blogspot.com/search/label/Family%20Events

We played Sunday night and I am in the second flute chair to the left of the director. I had to angle the flute out a little so I wouldn't hit the person next to me.

#1572510 - 12/08/10 07:29 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: PianoU1]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
PianoU1
Congratulations on your Level 6. I'm working on 5. Haven't done any of the exam process but that seemed like a good place to start. What repertoire pieces did you play?

Love to learn

#1572682 - 12/08/10 01:12 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: WiseBuff]
PianoU1 Offline

thanks WB.
beethovens bagatelle in d
jennifer linn - a lighthouse in the fog
kabalevsky - variations in d

Currently working on:
Martinu Columbine Sings

Achievements:
Grade 1-7 Piano (LCM)
Grade 1-5 theory (LCM)

#1572737 - 12/08/10 02:29 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

A small woooohooo laugh

My teacher liked the Chopin E minor AND the Khatchachurian piece at yesterday's lesson, so I won't be playing those for her any more. And she liked Sound of Silence too and wants me to keep working on it. She got me a book of jazzy Vince Guaraldi Christmas tunes that I'm going to work on too.

My name is Jim, and it has been 1 day since I bought sheet music

Oh, and I was right, it was too good to be true - turns out there are two Bach G-minor minuets and she wanted me to work on the harder one. Oh well, I'll finish up the easier one first, and then tackle the other. I guess you can never get too much Bach. She is also going to pick out something juicy for me to start in on next week.

Cheers

Edited by JimF (12/08/10 02:31 PM)

Estonia L190 #7284

#1572805 - 12/08/10 04:39 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

QTPI (I just figured out your name!! lol).... What a fun video - nothing like playing in a concert band! I played bass clarinet for 5 years and learned so much. Thanks for posting it!

Jim, I agree, you can never get too much Bach. (And let us not forget there are several Bachs - his sons also composed!)
Congrats on being 1 day clean Jim, hang in there for day two. wink

#1572945 - 12/08/10 08:35 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Canonie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
My name is Jim, and it has been 1 day since I bought sheet music

.. took me a few seconds, then LOL! I suspect this is a running gag here but I haven't seen it before. Made my day laugh
Admitting the problem is the First Step. The second step is...?

Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.

#1573286 - 12/09/10 11:11 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Canonie]
qtpi Offline

It is hard to believe how much music Bach was able to write in his lifetime!

#1573676 - 12/09/10 11:35 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Canonie]
newpianogal Offline

Loc: Michigan
Thanks for sharing, Canonie! I love your ideas for the piano journal!! (Mine would read something like: Mon.- played all wrong notes, swore heavily. Tues.- played mostly wrong notes, but only swore twice. Wed.-got through entire practice without cursing. Thurs.- actually played the notes I supposed to play! Fri.- somehow 'forgot' the song again, back to square one, profuse cursing.

#1573817 - 12/10/10 07:25 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Canonie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

NPGal ha That's a great start you've made on your journal wink In a real journal you could ask the very pertinent question of "what were you up to on thursday night eh?" Was wine involved perhaps? or rock-climbing? And there you go - Friday is explained smile

Alex Ross.

#1573889 - 12/10/10 09:45 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
2000 Post Club Member

Not really an achievement but I got my new repertoire piece this lesson. And that wasn't a surprise since we'd already talked about it. Anyway, I will now be torturing my family with
Chopin's Waltz No. 10 in B minor, Opus 69 no. 2.

My teacher has also told me she is going to "torture" me this coming semester to fix my technique wink And she's throwing some theory in ... I already have a good grasp but she wants to start from close to the beginning just in case I've missed / forgotten anything along the way. That doesn't bother me but it's amusing when I had to correct her on a chord she still wants me to start near the beginning. It's all good!

Kawai K3

Page 10 of 215 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 214 215 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
145 registered (36251, alex-kid, angga888, 45 invisible), 1552 Guests and 54 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153507 Topics
2249556 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Beginner adult book to read AWAY from the piano?
by What?
Today at 07:46 PM
Sharing custom patches for Ravenscroft?
by Tonio
Today at 07:40 PM
Mozart K310 fingering
by Morodiene
Today at 07:11 PM
1952 Bechstein Grand Piano - family needs appraisal
by feigede
Today at 05:43 PM
Ruben Schoutrop - Nocturne Op. 55 No. 1 in F Minor
by Ruben1
Today at 05:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission