Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 17 of 227 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 226 227 >
Topic Options
#1627354 - 02/24/11 11:43 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Cheryl, sounds there's a lot you're going to be doing to get this under control. Best wishes for a full recovery for you. In the meantime, keep up the composing! (BTW, my piano teacher is primarily a composer, with a doctorate in music composition. You would probably love talking with him. Funny thing is, even with a teacher like this, I've never composed anything.)

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1627359 - 02/24/11 11:48 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Cheryl - I'm sending good thoughts your way. It's kind of scary, huh? But I've heard of other people who had this problem, and nipped it in the bud, which it sounds like you can do. And you're the kind of person who's wise enough to do so - your own best friend smile

Take care, you're important to this forum!

Cathy

#1627467 - 02/24/11 02:39 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: jotur]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Cobra - Thanks for posting that. I was pressed for time that day, so didn't hunt down the clip. Otherwise I would have seen it was Ministry of Silly Walks, not Department. Silly me.

Cheryl - Hope you have a speedy recovery. Do you have any idea if some particular piece or exercise was the main cause of your tendonitis? Is it the pinky in both hands?

Estonia L190 #7284

#1627565 - 02/24/11 05:54 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Cheryl, i pray for your hand. I wish I could help you. It's kinda frustrating not knowing what's going on. Not sure if it's similar to yours but I had lots of pain in my hands when I came back to piano first time. Read my story below and let me know. If you had similar experience, stop doing the particular exercises helped me. I also stopped playing every 15 minutes and did finger/hand exercise routines. A friend of mine, who was studying to be a physical therapist gave me this. He called it an opposite exercise since you move it in an opposite direction from piano playing.

1) Bend you hands slowly backwards 3 times, 2) Extend each finger up and backward from a fist position, 3) Move your hands slowly in a circular motion around your wrist.

My story
Because I did not touch piano more than 20 years, my fingers were wobbling and it was apparent that I needed to do something to strengthen my fingers. The teacher I had at that time was very enthusiastic about Pischna piano exercises. She believed in that those rigorous exercises in Pischna are good for come back adults like me to regain control and finger independence. Technically, iMO, Pischna works wonders in a short amount of time if you do it an hour a day. But there is often unwanted consequences. I started having severe pain in my hand and had to stop playing for a while. Maybe I overdid it. I practiced pishuna 1 hour a day those days. Anyway I hope the exercises above help you.
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute, Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1
collaboration - Handel g minor Sonata for 2 violins and piano (Arioso), Devienne Sonata #5 in D minor for Oboe and Piano (Presto)

#1627580 - 02/24/11 06:13 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

My AOTW - I just came back from my lesson. My teacher said "Wow, it's definately coming", which made my day. I am still working on the Beethoven's Pathetique 1st movement. I love this piece. I am going to submit it to the next recital and also playing in my teacher's studio recital. I still need to work on speed while paying attention to details such as soft landing on the last note of the trills and other articulations (e.g. subito piano that suddenly come up in the sea of crescendo) etc. I really wish, desire and would like to play the long runs of 8ve like vibrating humming birds wings someday.
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute, Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1
collaboration - Handel g minor Sonata for 2 violins and piano (Arioso), Devienne Sonata #5 in D minor for Oboe and Piano (Presto)

#1627600 - 02/24/11 06:48 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
rozina Offline

Loc: Slovenia
I am as well having quite some pain in my hands, specially in my thumb, and forearm. I am scheduled to see the doctor on Monday but until then I would like to do anything I can to help my hands. So I have a couple of questions about those exercises FarmGirl. When you band your hands slowly backwards, do you do it with their muscles or are you stretching it with the other hand? Same question goes for the fingers.

#1627614 - 02/24/11 07:34 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: FarmGirl]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: FarmGirl
I really wish, desire and would like to play the long runs of 8ve like vibrating humming birds wings someday.
What an intriguing description! It makes me want to hear it!

#1627692 - 02/24/11 11:06 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

Rozina,

when you bend your hands backwards, you do not use fingers. Just streatch your hands backwards. Do it SLOWLY. When you bend each finger, use other finger to streatch it up and slowly / gently move it backwards. That's the instruction I got. Hope it works for you too. Not every 15 min any more but
I still do this exercise every night.

MaryBee,

Currently my fingers are moving more like a dorky bat rather than a humming bird. Not sure if I can make the farmgirl fingers to behave so gracefully, but I will try my best.

#1627962 - 02/25/11 01:19 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Thanks everyone for your kind wishes - Ben that's funny - I am probably one of the minority in ABF who doesn't know a lot of Einaudi! Christine, I'll think on it. The pieces I'm tempted to do next are 2 songs I did for guitar years ago. One is a lullaby, the other is a sort of ballad.
MaryBee, you should give composing a try - especially if you have such a good resource to get you rolling!!! Cathy ( blush ) It is always lovely to feel wanted, thanks smile
Jim - the problem pre-existed playing the piano but it was MUCH milder and I rarely noticed it. In the past few months it has gotten a lot worse and has to be managed! Sadly, it seems age has a lot to do with it, and there's not much I can do about that!
FarmGirl, thank you for your prayers, great medicine! The exercises my dr gave me were in part similar to yours - I have to extend my arm fully when doing the "bending the fingers back" gently because I have to stretch all the way up to my elbow. I also have to stretch one finger at a time on a table edge, I have to squeeze a sponge with my hand in hot water and I have to do massages. I did one last night while we were watching a film.
My hand felt great last night, but this morning when I took the splint off it was really really stiff and that was a bit disconcerting..... on the positive side, once I had wiggled them and moved on with the day, I have to say my fingers feel better today than 2 days ago. The pinky joint however is uncomfortable. (Jim it is primarily in one hand - the right. I'm left handed. I've noticed a little bit in the left hand recently but I'm doing the massage and parafin treatments and stretching on both hands, so I hope to really get control of the left hand before it gets any worse.

Again, thanks everyone for your kindess and concern, it is much appreciated.
xx

#1628880 - 02/26/11 11:27 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Kymber Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: MA
Today I figured out an entire song by ear. Its the first time Ive ever achieved this and something I never thought I'd be to do. (I used to think that skill was reserved for only a special few).

I also noticed my playing is getting smoother and more even. And my fingers (all of them are feeling stronger.

Edited by Kymber (02/26/11 11:28 PM)

#1628884 - 02/26/11 11:36 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
My AotW was definitely practicing the Schumann duet with my teacher. What a blast. We both finished laughing at the end of our first run-through - it's such a fun piece. We're going to play it in a couple of weeks for a recital - not sure where; my teacher says "where we go to hospitals and retirement homes and we play our music".

Cheryl - hope your hand recovers quickly and fully.

Kawai K3

#1629060 - 02/27/11 07:47 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Andy Platt]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: Andy Platt
My AotW was definitely practicing the Schumann duet with my teacher. What a blast. We both finished laughing at the end of our first run-through - it's such a fun piece. We're going to play it in a couple of weeks for a recital - not sure where; my teacher says "where we go to hospitals and retirement homes and we play our music".

Cheryl - hope your hand recovers quickly and fully.

Thanks Andy.
I love hearing about your duet. I'll have to ask my teacher if she has that one.
We've had similar experiences with some of our duets - in particular "Tamborino Cinese" (which no surprise, is "Chinese Drum")... It is HUGE fun.
Good luck with the recital!

#1629419 - 02/27/11 05:10 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
dlr Offline

Loc: Michigan
My AOTW is regarding my practice time. I've been able to get in 3-4 hours nearly every day. Previously I was aiming for 2, but sometimes only getting an hour. I've been able to see real progress. I'm able to spend more time on sight reading and technic. My teacher said at my lesson Friday that she sees an improvement in evenness in scale sections. Also - my teacher assigned my first Bach Two Part Invention (#8) this week. She told me to play hands separate (something I'm not used to doing) for one week, until my next lesson - just the first page. That takes a lot of willpower. I'm so tempted to attempt to put the hands together, but I told her I'll do exactly as she says. And so I will smile

My lessons are the highlight of my week. I'm so glad I found my perfect teacher!

Take my hand, let me stand where no one stands alone

#1629461 - 02/27/11 06:07 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

My AOTW is WIP now.

I am doing a lot of HS as well. There are 2 line runs that appears twice in the piece (example below). If you can see the picture below, the cirled notes (inner voices) must be played absolutely quietly while the outer voices will crescendo. It's very difficult and my patience is tried. I would like nail this down during the weekend, so it means in a couple of hours... I will report back to you tomorrow.

#1629531 - 02/27/11 08:20 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: FarmGirl]
dlr Offline

FarmGirl, I bet you'll get it down. I'll be watching to see how you came along with it. Good luck!

#1629695 - 02/28/11 02:48 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Denise that's great - I love my teacher too and I know what you mean about it being the highlight of your week.
My teacher will be here in about 20 minutes and I should get off the computer!!!
FarmGirl - that score looks like a lovely challenge! Mamma mia - I'm sure you'll get it and report back proudly soon!

#1629762 - 02/28/11 07:33 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Maharishi Offline

Loc: France
Well, I suppose my greatest achievement this week has been the playing D-major scale with my RH.. and a little extract of a Schubert Impromptu..

Normally, no big deal to play, but I had an operation on my right hand last week ( eek ) and there might have been some issues… but so far, so good smile

Good luck to all here who likewise face the unknown with their hands, wrists, arms…

Greetings to all,

And my faithful friend..

Hellas upright, CP5
Some of my practice sessions : Grieg, Schubert, Chopin, Schumann

#1629804 - 02/28/11 09:17 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
dlr Offline

That's a wonderful achievement, Maharishi! It must feel so good just to have your fingers back on the keyboard. It may sound strange, but I find scales comforting, grounding. If something isn't going right, I can just play scales and feel at home. After a hand trauma like surgery, that scale must have felt so good smile
Great achievement!

#1629806 - 02/28/11 09:18 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
joyoussong Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
My achievement over the past week is that I managed to find time to practice at all, with plumbers in & out, making noise, & one day even turfing ME out for the whole day - even on that day, I managed to get in a half hour before they turfed me out (to heck with the neighbours - this was unusual circumstances!)

Maharishi, what did you have done to your hand?

#1629908 - 02/28/11 11:57 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: dlr]
Maharishi Offline

Loc: France
Originally Posted By: dlr
That's a wonderful achievement, Maharishi!…

Thanks so much, dlr!

Originally Posted By: dlr
…It must feel so good just to have your fingers back on the keyboard. It may sound strange, but I find scales comforting, grounding. If something isn't going right, I can just play scales and feel at home. After a hand trauma like surgery, that scale must have felt so good smile

Yes, it did feel good! And I love playing scales: if I didn’t have the clock above my piano, I’d spend all my time practising them! I just love their sound – backwards, forwards octaves, thirds, sixths, in parallel and contrary motion !!!

I was able to play a tiny bit of A maj on Thursday evening, when I came home from the clinic, but it was too much to expect – and not that wise to pursue. I tried a few scales that enabled me to keep the most natural hand positions – D-flat, A and E were okayish by Saturday, but D major excruciating so stopped as soon as I started!

That’s why today, Monday, it was really, really great to do the D major and some not-too-demanding pieces…

Originally Posted By: joyoussong
Maharishi, what did you have done to your hand?

I had a cyst removed; they don’t know why it was there, but they’re doing tests: I’m so fortunate to live near a world-class hand surgery clinic. They did a really good job, and it’s healing nicely. So I’m going to continue making the most of music for as long as I can!!

Thanks for your nice thoughts smile

And my faithful friend..

Hellas upright, CP5
Some of my practice sessions : Grieg, Schubert, Chopin, Schumann

#1629979 - 02/28/11 02:09 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Maharishi - hope your hand heals well and quickly! Rozina - did you see the dr today?
ok...editing this post as the problem is fixed...

Read the notes...there are 4 distinct passages to this "story".
I awoke with the first part in my head and over the past couple of weeks I've been tweaking it.

(read previous posts about the story behind the name smile

So, let me know what you think...it isn't "brilliant" but it was amusing and very interesting as an exercise

Edited by casinitaly (02/28/11 02:41 PM)
Edit Reason: added pics

#1630371 - 03/01/11 12:52 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Cheryl, what fun! I played this to start off my practice session tonight, and it was a great lead-in to Moonlight Sonata. Thank you for posting it. And congratulations on your first composition -- hopefully the first of many!

#1630407 - 03/01/11 03:01 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

Cheryl, I would love to play the piece. It looks so good. I wish I had seen it earlier. It’s already past midnight here. My husband and I made an agreement that I stop playing at 11:. I can get to play in the morning a 6:00 AM, so I am not complaining.

Denise, thank you for your kind words. How’s your HS practice going? I got the inner voice volume down. I don’t have the speed yet – long way to go.

All – I discovered something neat this evening. I cooked incredibly tender beans while I was practicing. I used to burn rice a lot. I guess beans are much more suited for pianists to cook while practicing. If you are going to try it, please put lot’s of water and keep the flame low. Don’t practice more than 4 hours though. If you overdo, I think even beans will burn.

#1630470 - 03/01/11 07:04 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
rozina Offline

Loc: Slovenia
Yes I have seen my doctor yesterday. She says it is probably tendon inflammation so she advised me to massage my hand with ice and to get a sort of wrist band (similar to the ones for carpal tunnel) to hold my hand during activity. She also subscribed me some anti inflammation drugs to take for the next 5 days. Hopefully this will do the trick.

How are your hands doing Casinitaly?

PS: your composition look cool, I might give it a try one day in the near future laugh

#1630705 - 03/01/11 01:14 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: FarmGirl]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: FarmGirl
All – I discovered something neat this evening. I cooked incredibly tender beans while I was practicing. I used to burn rice a lot. I guess beans are much more suited for pianists to cook while practicing. If you are going to try it, please put lot’s of water and keep the flame low. Don’t practice more than 4 hours though. If you overdo, I think even beans will burn.
laugh
My solution is to let my husband cook. We're both happier (and better fed) that way.

#1630782 - 03/01/11 03:40 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

FarmGirl, I use the timer! smile

I'm glad you enjoyed playing my piece MaryBee. It is pretty amazing to think someone on the other side of the world is playing my piece!

I am getting a kick out of the enthusiasm - who knows maybe we'll have to start a "Real Beginners' Compositions" thread - that would be fun.

One week of the therapy and I do feel a bit of an improvement. I'm optimistic things are moving in the right direction!!

#1630855 - 03/01/11 05:11 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
When I was getting to know my brother's Japanese wife and her family, I (a aging hippie with long experience cooking brown rice the old-fashioned way) accepted the gift of a rice cooker -- what a marvelous little appliance! I can turn it on, wander off and play piano, and there is warm rice patiently waiting for me.

I've been finding myself sitting there and improvising lately, which isn't anything I'd been particularly comfortable doing before, but this feels very relaxed and low-key.

Again, I think this development is a by-product of my recent quit-smoking musical hiatus, during which time I felt like I was doing a lot of mental musical digestion, though I didn't touch an instrument for months.

I want to write more about this at some point, but I'm still feeling out the whole change. It keeps feeling like I've become a different person at the piano, which is disconcerting. The goals and plans I made for my old self feel constrictive to this new person, who keeps sitting down and just doing things I really didn't believe I was capable of.

neglected piano blog

#1630889 - 03/01/11 05:56 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: tangleweeds]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Originally Posted By: tangleweeds
When I was getting to know my brother's Japanese wife and her family, I (a aging hippie with long experience cooking brown rice the old-fashioned way) accepted the gift of a rice cooker -- what a marvelous little appliance! I can turn it on, wander off and play piano, and there is warm rice patiently waiting for me.

I've been finding myself sitting there and improvising lately, which isn't anything I'd been particularly comfortable doing before, but this feels very relaxed and low-key.

Again, I think this development is a by-product of my recent quit-smoking musical hiatus, during which time I felt like I was doing a lot of mental musical digestion, though I didn't touch an instrument for months.

I want to write more about this at some point, but I'm still feeling out the whole change. It keeps feeling like I've become a different person at the piano, which is disconcerting. The goals and plans I made for my old self feel constrictive to this new person, who keeps sitting down and just doing things I really didn't believe I was capable of.

It sounds like you are open to exploring new possibilities. That's great. Here's to wishing you an exciting and enriching journey!

#1630970 - 03/01/11 08:06 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Thanks Cheryl - I took your piece out for a sight reading spin today and nice it was too. Though I lost the plot partway through. It's good practice at reading ledger lines!!!

Kawai K3

#1631148 - 03/02/11 01:33 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

Cheryl, i played your composition tonight. It was really fun piece.
I could experience lots of emotion in the piece.
My favorite part was measures 28 through 38.
I think you used those dissonance chords very effectively.
My only suggestion is that you could use more action on the left hand side.
Especially, when you depict your emotional world where there is turbulence.
I know I am supposed to respect composor's intention, but can I start with p rather than mf in the first 4 measures?
These broken chord will sound better if you enter softly, I think.
It seems to match with your decription "end of a long tiring day"...
Of course, you can ignore this, since most of the times I don't know what I am talking about 3hearts Overall it is quite an accomplishment. I really enjoyed playing this tonight. Thanks. I will try to put mine up someday..

Page 17 of 227 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 226 227 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
68 registered (AZNpiano, Belen, AndrewAJC, 18 invisible), 1190 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75369 Members
42 Forums
155822 Topics
2288125 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Theoretical tuning sequence
by DoelKees
Today at 01:01 AM
It's will never emit sounds again
by Maximillyan
Yesterday at 11:24 PM
yamaha finish
by johnfin
Yesterday at 10:21 PM
Advice on best way to structure my practicing...
by MZCT
Yesterday at 09:03 PM
How important are the wheels for you?
by doremi
Yesterday at 06:46 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission