Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 21 of 215 < 1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 214 215 >
Topic Options
#1659653 - 04/13/11 05:51 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
GracieCat, That's great progress!

Michael T - ha! You fooled me! ...So, is it reallly easier? Canon in D is one of my all time, top 5, heart-stirring favourites. How does it sound in C?

Jim...5 days to go!

Clayts: Busking ? wow.... I get nervous just thinking that the neighbours might be listening! Good for you.
p.s.... must be pretty hard to fit the old Steinway on the sidewalk!

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1659729 - 04/13/11 09:02 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Michael Taylor Offline

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
Casinitaly: to my novice ears, it sounds great! I can play 3 of 4 pages so far. I should have the entire piece done by the weekend. Then I will start to perfect it. Is it pathetic that I go to sleep at night thinking about playing the piano?!?
http://www.youtube.com/user/michaelt3032

#1659834 - 04/14/11 02:12 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Go to sleep thinking of playing the piano. Wake up think about playing the piano. Go to work thinking about playing the piano. Have thoughts of playing the piano floating through the mind throughout the day........ The only time I don't think about playing the piano is when I'm playing the piano smile

Is that pathetic? I think not!

#1659925 - 04/14/11 07:52 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
shannonia Offline

Loc: Australia
That's not pathetic-that's totally awesome!! ;D

Edited by shannonia (04/14/11 07:56 AM)

#1660013 - 04/14/11 11:06 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
GracieCat Offline

Loc: USA
JimF, the Sonatina I'm working on is Beethoven. There's been a big difference in my playing since I quite focusing on Alfred's. I couldn't hardly play anything with my left hand until I got into playing pieces that were more than broken chords. You probably know what I mean. I have played other instruments, but none I ever care to pick up again. smile
-Anything composed by D. Nevue

#1660027 - 04/14/11 11:43 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
casinitaly - I played for an adult day care place. But it was sure nice to play AG well for a change laugh

Looks like there's some ABF recital possibilities being discussed here -

Cathy

#1660043 - 04/14/11 12:14 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Pianosaurus Rex Offline

Originally Posted By: casinitaly
Go to sleep thinking of playing the piano. Wake up think about playing the piano. Go to work thinking about playing the piano. Have thoughts of playing the piano floating through the mind throughout the day........ The only time I don't think about playing the piano is when I'm playing the piano smile

Is that pathetic? I think not!

Sounds familiar. Actually it even goes a bit further than that, since pretty much every dream I can remember involves pianos in some way. Oh, dear, I'm going nuts!

Student/apprentice technician

#1660060 - 04/14/11 12:56 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Well, looks like we're all going nuts in good company.

When I'm next in my home town I'll be visiting a senior's residence....maybe I'll be brave enough to play the piano for them!

I'm working on my ABF recital piece but I'm not saying yet what it is yet smile

#1660095 - 04/14/11 01:54 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Pianosaurus Rex Offline

Well, looks like we're all going nuts in good company.

When I'm next in my home town I'll be visiting a senior's residence....maybe I'll be brave enough to play the piano for them!

I'm working on my ABF recital piece but I'm not saying yet what it is yet smile

Meh, I have a bad experience with senior's residences, from my experience they often don't bother to properly maintain their pianos. But hopefully the one you're going to visit will. smile

Looking forward to the next ABF e-cital, I personally don't think I'll specifically prepare something for it, but I will probably record whatever I can play best at that time.

@GracieCat
Will you upload your sonatina when you've finished the piece? It's on my to-do list somewhere, and I'd love to hear other ABF'ers play it. smile

#1660113 - 04/14/11 02:42 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
SAnnM AB-2001 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I go to sleep thinking about piano also, especially the day of my lesson. I'm always inspired afterwards look forward to reflecting on my hour with my teacher and the advice he always has. I also go to 'piano' in my head sometimes during a stressful day. It's like a vacation in my mind.

#1660117 - 04/14/11 02:49 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: SAnnM AB-2001]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Originally Posted By: SAnnM
I also go to 'piano' in my head sometimes during a stressful day. It's like a vacation in my mind.

I do that too!

#1660133 - 04/14/11 03:14 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Wanna talk obsession?

The very first thing I do after waking up, even before coffee, is go to the piano and play this little "good morning" song. My yellow lab Alfie howls along with me - I kid you not. That's my wife's signal to wake up. He only does this for this song, and has never howled for anything else except for when I come to a big series of chords (F#7, Bmin) in the Tosca aria - at which point he always give a low distressed moan, sorta like "are ya ok,dad?".

So, even my dog is obsessed with piano!

Estonia L190 #7284

#1660262 - 04/14/11 08:31 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
shannonia Offline

Loc: Australia
Love the vision of the 'good morning song' smile

Just finished a practise session and finally found my achievement of the week. Have been playing "The Music of the Night" from Phantom of the Opera off and on for a number of months. Got to the finale (well, my version of a finale!), sat back and had one of those moments of 'I think that was the best yet!' Hooray!

#1660409 - 04/15/11 01:26 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: JimF]
Pianosaurus Rex Offline

Originally Posted By: JimF
The very first thing I do after waking up, even before coffee, is go to the piano and play this little "good morning" song.

Oh, yeah, definitely. laugh

Bach for breakfast!
Or in Dutch: "Elke dag begint met Bach!", which translates as "Every day starts with Bach!"

Well, yeah, it rhymes in Dutch you know...

Edited by Pianosaurus Rex (04/15/11 02:39 AM)

#1661044 - 04/16/11 02:46 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Teodor Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bulgaria
Getting Bach's Minuet in G mostly correct when playing it is my achievement this week. I was struggling last week but I took my teacher's advice and learned the notes so that I wouldn't have to sight read and try to play it properly at the same time.

Recitals:

#1661637 - 04/17/11 02:28 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Good Morning, good morning, good morning to you.
Good Morning, good morning, and how do you do?

We all need a morning piano song, I think!

Snannonie - I love that music! You must be having a great time with it!

Jim, your dog has indeed caught your obsession...now, is that a good thing or not? smile

Teodor, glad you have found a way to make progress - will we hear your piece at the recital?

#1661708 - 04/17/11 09:27 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Michael Steen Offline

Loc: Sciota, Pennsylvania
Achievement of the week? I finally played, successfully, all the major and minor chords around the circle of fifths. Now to polish them up and get them all smooth. Some, of course, are better than others, but this has been a major goal for a long time, and it's finally here.

#1661729 - 04/17/11 10:40 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Michael Taylor Offline

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
I played all 4 pages of a simple version of Canon! It still needs some work, but I am very happy with my progress. My wife enjoys listening to me play.

Edited by Michael Taylor (04/17/11 03:27 PM)
Edit Reason: mis-spelled wife!
http://www.youtube.com/user/michaelt3032

#1661765 - 04/17/11 12:26 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Teodor Offline
500 Post Club Member

Teodor, glad you have found a way to make progress - will we hear your piece

Yeah the way for me is to stop whining about hand pain and be more relaxed while playing, also working out 3 times a week to strengthen the entire body. I was hesitant when I restarted in December after stopping in May but things are ok for now. Slight hand pain is bearable. As long as it doesn't get any worse I can keep going. For the recital, I want something grander like the Heller Avalanche etude. I've got it up to performance tempo which is an achievement in its own right but I need to work on the smoothness and dynamics (A LOT). It has to be ready for my may recital at the music academy so hopefully it is and I will possibly record it for this online recital as well. If not I've got plenty of things I can play by now, all of them are good music and are coming along nicely. Lately I try to be more concentrated when practicing but it's not easy to resist the urge to just jump from piece to piece and play through the entire thing over and over instead of repeating those troublesome few bars.

Originally Posted By: Michael Taylor
I played all 4 pages of a simple version of Canon! It still needs some work, but I am very happy with my progress. My wif enjoys listening to me play.

That's great! I love that piece very much.

Edited by Teodor (04/17/11 12:28 PM)

Recitals:

#1661849 - 04/17/11 03:30 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
GrouchoMarx Offline

Memorized the 2 first pages of Rachmaninov's Prelude in G minor. Now I just have to get it up to speed. I tested recording at about half tempo and sped it up to full speed and love how it sounds. Also began working on one of Rach's etudes.

#1661866 - 04/17/11 04:14 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
LESS THAN 24 HOURS TO GO........

Estonia L190 #7284

#1661872 - 04/17/11 04:31 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: JimF]
Pianosaurus Rex Offline

Originally Posted By: JimF
LESS THAN 24 HOURS TO GO........

Looking forward to the pictures! smile

#1661907 - 04/17/11 05:24 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Teodor, I have to be really careful about the relaxing too - I'm starting to get a lot better at it! - Do be careful not to overstress. Remember, you aren't "whining" about it - you're learning to play properly so you don't do long term damage!
I wish I could play something more challenging, but the reality is (aside from still being careful about the hands) my skills just aren't moving along very much at the moment. I'm improving technique, which is great - but my memory and coordination still need some help! lol.

Groucho - that's really impressive - will you let us hear your piece?

JimF ......... you must be SO EXCITED!!!!!!! Can't wait to see pics!!!!!

We had friends over last night and they were suitably enthusiastic over my piano and listened to me play a few pieces. It was fun. First time I've played "live" for anyone , other than my husband this year.

#1662109 - 04/18/11 03:45 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Online   content

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Hello AOTW
I am back from the business trip to east coast and back to piano as well. The trip was very hectic. I could not touch a piano at all. But it's done and over. My teacher gave me a replacement lesson on Saturday. I practiced my first two hours in the week on Saturday just before the lesson. To my surprise, the lesson went extremely well. I played through the 1st movement of Pathetique sonata from memory first time. well, it was not smooth. At many spots, I had either slowed down or memory issues. But I did remember the correct notes. I ended well since I always practice endings as a warm up. I cannot understand why I played well for the week I did not practice... There may be some deep reason. My teacher was sooo excited and expanded my 1 hour lesson to 2 hours (extra lesson for me). She marked about 15 spots where I have to fine tune. 5 of the 15 spots, she wanted me to use as a daily warm up exercises. It's still not like professinals but I was elated with my good lesson. I am now really energized to make it better.
Pieces at work - Schubert Sonata D960 2nd mvmnt Andante sostenute, Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1, Haru No Umi-the Sea In Spring (Michio Miyagi) for Flute & Piano (Nov Diversity Fair at work)

#1662165 - 04/18/11 06:52 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: oudeis]
oudeis Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
So, I'm back from my piano tuning holiday.

A small disclaimer: it was a course in tuning for beginners, using Dirk's Piano Tuner. We did discuss tuning by ear for a bit, and practiced tuning to a A4 tuning fork, and tuning unisons and octaves by ear, but we let the software calculate the temperament.

Anyway, I had a great week and learned a lot. We started of with some basic theory of sound, followed by a little hands-on experience in tuning unisons in the middle octaves. For most of us, it took quite a lot of time to find that sweet spot, and getting it reasonably stable.

During the week we revisited that section a couple of times, and instead of 10 minutes per unison, I managed to decrease the time to 1 or 2 minutes.

We ended the week with some more practice tuning the upper treble on the grand. Where in the middle octaves a small nudge on the tuning hammer was enough to get to the final position, here a similar nudge was almost enough to change the pitch to the next note smile

Besides learning the basics of tuning, we also learned the mechanics of the vertical and grand action, and the basics of regulating, including some practice on action models (both vertical and grand). We also practiced making new strings and putting them in (also on a model).

The achievement of the week is that I worked on my own piano yesterday. Tuned a rogue unison, and lowered the action a bit. The upper treble had hardly any sustain, and after testing with a guitar plectrum, I found that the hammers were striking the strings too high. After lowering the action it started to sing! Without this course, I would never have had the courage to do so, and wouldn't have known what to adjust. Took a bit more work than expected though: not only lowering the action and regulating the capstan screws, but I also had to adjust the silent system.

A second achievement (yes there were more) is that I could easily adjust from an upright that was quite difficult to play to a nicely regulated grand.

The location was also very beautiful. In France, in the Dordogne area, in a very rural area. Weather was great, 20 C in the afternoon, with strong sun. It's a great area if you like chateaus/castles/churches/old villages/etc.

#1662172 - 04/18/11 07:30 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Oudeis, that sounds like a fantastic week!
Absolutely fascinating - and so practical too.

Excellent AOTW!

#1662300 - 04/18/11 11:44 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Welcome back, Farm Girl! Maybe you had "beginner's luck" after being off the piano awhile laugh - Actually, breaks are good sometimes, because they give your brain a chance to consolidate some stuff.

oudeis - what a wonderful vacation! Thanks for all the details - made me salivate laugh And how cool that your piano now sings - sounds like a perfect outcome.

Cathy

#1662406 - 04/18/11 03:45 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Teodor Offline
500 Post Club Member

Played for about 30 people today in uni. It was spontaneous, I was practicing and they walked in for a lecture, so I decided to play 4-5 pieces for them to see how I handle the stress. Easy, there was no stress. Mostly because I thought only 2 girls walked into the room but when I turned around after I was done the room was full of people :S

So that's what I need to do next time I have a recital. Imagine I'm playing alone and enjoying myself.

Achievement of the week: I can now play through Fur Elise and I can't remember what was hard about the hard parts anymore. It's not up to tempo yet but everything except for 1-2 bars is going smoothly.

Teodor, I have to be really careful about the relaxing too - I'm starting to get a lot better at it! - Do be careful not to overstress. Remember, you aren't "whining" about it - you're learning to play properly so you don't do long term damage!

Today I really overdid it during practice. I was bashing at those chords ff all the time and that wasn't a good idea... But I was so excited to play that one part of the piece that I couldn't help it. Which is ok, do it once like for a performance but there is absolutely no need to play so hard when practicing a passage 10 times in a roll, not to mention nowhere in the dynamics does it say to play so loud laugh

My hand is ok by now. I ran a couple of miles and it really helped me relax the muscles.

Edited by Teodor (04/18/11 03:50 PM)

Recitals:

#1662522 - 04/18/11 07:49 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

JimF - today's the day, right?

Cathy

#1662632 - 04/18/11 11:55 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Hi everyone. I feel like I've been gone for a long time. I was sick for a week or so, and work was hectic for a while, so I barely had enough energy just to get my daily practice in (and on a couple days, it was only for a few minutes). But I'm feeling good again now, and back to reading the piano forums.

I did something interesting and fun the other day. My teacher suggested that I might tend to listen more closely to my playing if I raised the lid on my piano (an upright), or even removed the front cover. So I tried it; I took the front off my piano, and played it that way for a few days. I remember as a child I use to prop open the front of our big upright and watch the hammers move as I pounded the keys. But I had forgotten how fascinating that was. Doing it again after so long, seeing the hammers move in response to my playing and pedaling, I felt a much stronger physical connection to the instrument that usual.

The other interesting thing about it was that my 6-year-old grandson usually shows very little interest in playing the piano, but with the front open, he spent about 20 minutes the first day and a half hour the second day, playing and watching. That was unexpected!

I started a new piece a few weeks ago -- Clair de Lune. My teacher had me try something different with a tricky section of this. He called it playing "note-by-note". You play the section as slowly as you need to, but you must play the notes with absolutely no mistakes. You repeat this 3-5 times in a row. If you make a mistake, you have to start the repetitions all over again. I didn't think it would help much, but I did it anyway. And surprise! When I went back the next day to play that section, it was fairly easy. Another successful practice technique! smile

Page 21 of 215 < 1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 214 215 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
154 registered (accordeur, Adam Coleman, 36251, A Guy, 46 invisible), 1692 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74248 Members
42 Forums
153578 Topics
2250824 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
the government and tuning.
by kc_lee
04/19/14 12:33 PM
Midi controller with a good keybed under 1000$
by Ov3rload
04/19/14 11:55 AM
Bösendorfer vs Steingraeber
by Keith D Kerman
04/19/14 11:51 AM
Keyboard stand
by david_ka
04/19/14 09:42 AM
Tuning stability problems...
by Grotriman
04/19/14 09:20 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission