Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1639971 - 03/13/11 01:42 AM Just watched "They Came To Play"
Crik23 Offline

Loc: Houston
If you have Netflix, it's on play now. It is a film about Adult Amateur(although they are incredibly skilled) piano players that compete in an international piano competition in Fort Worth.

Definitely inspiring!

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1639974 - 03/13/11 01:58 AM Re: Just watched "They Came To Play" [Re: Crik23]
TTigg Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
Yep it's a great flick. A member of the Long Beach Piano group is going to that (France maybe?) this/next month to play!

My You Tube | My Box.net

#1640195 - 03/13/11 02:57 PM Re: Just watched "They Came To Play" [Re: Crik23]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
Only 2 more months until the 2011 Cliburn Amateur competition: website. The website says nothing about broadcasting any of it though. I wonder if any PW members will be there?

Sam
Every ABF recital since #13 Feb '09!
ABF Recital Index
My Recital Performances

#1640201 - 03/13/11 03:07 PM Re: Just watched "They Came To Play" [Re: Crik23]
Pedies Offline

I watched it a few weeks ago as well. I had just signed up for Netflix and it caught my eye.

Interestingly enough, an old classmate of mine from grad school is one of the featured players in the movie. His name is Henri Delbeau.

What's even more interesting is that I had no idea he played the piano (until I randomly saw him in this movie) and he mentions that when he was in school, he didn't get around to playing much.

It's funny because he is just so low key about his playing throughout the movie. I think at one point before he went on to play, he said something like..."it's okay if I don't do well, I have a day job."

The movie as a whole was very well done and very inspiring.

#1640316 - 03/13/11 07:15 PM Re: Just watched "They Came To Play" [Re: Sam S]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: Sam S
Only 2 more months until the 2011 Cliburn Amateur competition: website. The website says nothing about broadcasting any of it though. I wonder if any PW members will be there?

Well I'm sure some of us are trying! smile
In fact, I know from personal experience that at least one of us is. ha

(You have to apply for admission, and it's never sure.)

Originally Posted By: Pedies
....Interestingly enough, an old classmate of mine from grad school is one of the featured players in the movie. His name is Henri Delbeau.

What's even more interesting is that I had no idea he played the piano (until I randomly saw him in this movie) and he mentions that when he was in school, he didn't get around to playing much.

It's funny because he is just so low key about his playing throughout the movie. I think at one point before he went on to play, he said something like..."it's okay if I don't do well, I have a day job."....

Cool that you knew him!
He has become a good friend of mine through these competitions, and I'm shown talking with him a couple of times in the film.

BTW he has won 1st prize in several of the events.

#1640433 - 03/13/11 11:11 PM Re: Just watched "They Came To Play" [Re: Crik23]
KDog Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Hi,

Another nice film on Netflix is Note by Note. It's not a performance film but follows the making of a Steinway grand. Very cool.

Ken

#1640578 - 03/14/11 08:24 AM Re: Just watched "They Came To Play" [Re: Mark_C]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark_C
Originally Posted By: Sam S

Well I'm sure some of us are trying! smile
In fact, I know from personal experience that at least one of us is. ha

(You have to apply for admission, and it's never sure.)

That's great Mark - I hope you make it into the competition, and that you do well. I'll be pulling for you!

Sam
ABF Recital Index
My Recital Performances

#1640710 - 03/14/11 12:27 PM Re: Just watched "They Came To Play" [Re: Crik23]
KenD77 Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Thanks, Ken, for the Note by Note movie recommendation. I'll be sure to watch that when I get home tonight.

With all this talk of They Came To Play, I had to watch it again on Netflix, and it was probably better the second time around. smile

#1640731 - 03/14/11 12:49 PM Re: Just watched "They Came To Play" [Re: Crik23]
Pedies Offline

I also watched note by note. They gave it away at the local Steinway gallery if you were willing to come in and look at the pianos a while back (they openend near me about 2 years ago so this was some kind of promotion).

I was less than impressed with that documentary. I truly enjoyed the parts where the Steinway artists played the instruments, but the making of the instrument was less than glamorous. Now, I don't expect the construction process to be galmorous, but they made the construction process seem like a very menial task which to me was kind of a dissapointment (of course, they are just showing us reality, but there are ways to place a spin on that and it seemed like their spin was that it was a simple, time consuming process with many very basic steps). It's just my opinion, but I was really looking foreward to that video and when I saw it, I was a bit let down.

#1642418 - 03/16/11 06:45 PM Re: Just watched "They Came To Play" [Re: Crik23]
Lori Miller Offline

I am the producer of the film, and it's wonderful to see the positive comments. In case you missed the blurb in the PW newsletter, we are offering a private discount to Piano World members who actually would like to own the film, or buy more than one copy as gifts...
http://theycametoplay.com/specialOffer.html

We are also interested in arranging small screenings/screening parties with anyone who would like to host, and can be reached at fromlorikm@gmail.com

Thank you for supporting the film.
Lori Miller

#1642468 - 03/16/11 08:06 PM Re: Just watched "They Came To Play" [Re: Crik23]
Marvelle Offline

Loc: Hillsboro, OR
I enjoyed "They Came To Play" on Netflix, and took advantage of the offer for the DVD. It also includes "extended performances" as bonus tracks. Work has been busy, so I haven't watched them yet but will this weekend.

Thanks for an excellent film and the discount!

#1642501 - 03/16/11 09:01 PM Re: Just watched "They Came To Play" [Re: Crik23]
Pedies Offline

Thanks for making the film. I really enjoyed it. The people that were featured were very interesting.

I actually reconnected with Henri Delbeau who I knew from med school through Facebook because of this movie. I didn't even know Henri played piano. The last time I had seen him (14 years ago), he was coming back from a Central Park bike ride to the dorm. Who knew he'd be a movie star?

Congrats on a great film.

#1642996 - 03/17/11 03:57 PM Re: Just watched "They Came To Play" [Re: Crik23]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Here's the trailer:

JF

As good at piano as I am at golf - very high handicap!

#1643168 - 03/17/11 08:22 PM Re: Just watched "They Came To Play" [Re: TrapperJohn]
Mark_C Offline

...and the neatest things smile about the 'still' image of that trailer.....

See the guy near the bottom left with the bushy white hair?
That's my wife's brother.
And see the chick next to him, that 3/4 of a face on the bottom left? My wife.

And oh.......I shouldn't mention this, and really I almost didn't even notice it, but guess who's that very good looking bald guy standing up with his back to the camera on the bottom left..... ha

(I never noticed before that we were seen in the trailer....)

#1648374 - 03/26/11 02:11 PM Re: Just watched "They Came To Play" [Re: Crik23]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
I purchased the dvd and just watched it last night. I enjoyed it immensely, and am planning on watching it again today. Thanks for the "heads up" Piano World Forums.

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#1648823 - 03/27/11 10:27 AM Re: Just watched "They Came To Play" [Re: mom3gram]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

One of the finalists (Clark Grifith) is heard on the video playing a couple of Bach pieces - if you watch closely you see that he arranged them himself. They are from the Partita #3 for solo violin, and pdf files of the music are available from his web page.

Looks like the Gavotte and Rondeau is the easier of the two - the Fugue (3 voices?) looks pretty hairy...

Sam
ABF Recital Index
My Recital Performances

#1685807 - 05/28/11 12:06 AM Re: Just watched "They Came To Play" [Re: Crik23]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
I finally was able to start watching this tonight. (watched the first half)

I was bummed because I don't have a Netflix account and didn't think I'd ever see it. But with the Cliburn Amateur going on right now, I *had* to see it!

Dummy me didn't realize the local library had it until today.

Anyway, very entertaining so far. My wife is even watching it with me (that's a good sign!)

I know I'll never be good enough to be a contestant, but man, it would be fun to be wandering around with a camera interviewing and filming participants behind the scenes pretending I was making a documentary about this! laugh The whole event sounds like a lot of fun (and stress, but good stress)

Bravo!

#1685830 - 05/28/11 12:56 AM Re: Just watched "They Came To Play" [Re: Crik23]
Piano World Offline

Loc: Parsonsfield, ME (originally N...
I loved the video.
So inspiring. I'll never be at their level, but it does my heart good to see/hear non-professionals playing such incredible piano.

I had the pleasure of chatting with the producer a number of times.
She truly enjoyed making the film as much as we enjoy watching and listening to it.

If you haven't seen it yet, do yourself a favor and pick up a copy, you won't be sorry.
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Estonia L-190, Yamaha P-80, Hammond XK-3, Hammond A-100, Estey 1895 Pump Organ
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
And please invite everyone you know to join our piano forums!

#1685851 - 05/28/11 02:14 AM Re: Just watched "They Came To Play" [Re: Crik23]
Michael Taylor Offline

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
I had the same experience. I happened to find it on Netflix. My wife actually watched it with me.....I even managed to get my daughters to watch some (but not all) of it......do teenagers develop A.D.D.?!

I had hoped to be able to travel to Ft Worth to attend the competition, but my schedule did not permit this time.

Best wishes to all of the competitors!!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/michaelt3032

#1685957 - 05/28/11 09:19 AM Re: Just watched "They Came To Play" [Re: Crik23]
loveschopintoomuch Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
If some of you have Netflix, did you know that there is a device called Roku (costs about $100) that allows you to stream the "instant watch" movies right to your TV? It's easy to hook up, and there are about 7,000 movies available from Netflix, including "They Came to Play," "Impromptu," "The Chronicles of Anna Magdelena," "In Search of Beethoven," and many more classical selections that you might never see anywhere else.

If some of you have newer TVs, you don't have to buy the Roku device, for your TV probably has the necessary connections. And, if you are not interested in getting DVD's from Netflix, you can just sign up for the "Instant Movies," option for $7.99 a month. (No, I am not a spokesperson for Netflix.)

I don't watch TV at all. I bought Roku and subscribe to Netflix for my husband. It's really worth the money.

Kathleen

#1685992 - 05/28/11 10:15 AM Re: Just watched "They Came To Play" [Re: Crik23]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
While watching the competition last night I remembered hearing about this so I checked my library and they have a couple of copies of the DVD smile

Looking forward to watching it!

Kawai K3

#1693583 - 06/10/11 02:27 PM Re: Just watched "They Came To Play" [Re: BenPiano]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: BenPiano
.....but man, it would be fun to be wandering around with a camera interviewing and filming participants behind the scenes pretending I was making a documentary about this!....

I wish you had! ha

I think a lot of us loved the filming so much that we wished the crew did such a documentary on every amateur Cliburn competition! But of course, that's not what filmmakers want to do, unless the first film was such a huge hit that they can't say no about a sequel; they want to go on to other challenges.

Anyway, Ben, please feel free to get your camera ready for '015! ha

#1693593 - 06/10/11 02:59 PM Re: Just watched "They Came To Play" [Re: Mark_C]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Originally Posted By: Mark_C
[quote=BenPiano]Anyway, Ben, please feel free to get your camera ready for '015! ha

I'm not sure the Van Cliburn Foundation would take me seriously after I start recording the documentary with my Flip Ultra. grin

#1697866 - 06/19/11 12:37 AM Re: Just watched "They Came To Play" [Re: Crik23]
John_In_Montreal Offline

Loc: Montreal Canada
Hi everyone,

I am fortunate to have been able to borrow a copy of "They Came To Play" from our public library. What an amazing group of people from such diverse backgrounds, professions and upbringings; all playing piano for pleasure. And playing like Pros smile

It is also very refreshing to hear and see people on camera "being themselves", totally honest and vulnerable - some of the stories and life journeys are heartbreaking. And the more fortunate ones don't go around bragging about anything. Of course, its a movie, so there has to be some drama and those interviewed were undoubtedly the "better ones for the camera"; so we don't get to see the "ordinary" people in an otherwise extra-ordinary circumstance.

It must have been a tough call for the judges though, all the finalists were excellent musicians.

I loved it!

One contestant I fell in love with, Esfir Ross... vibrant, funny and such charm and character smile

Here are 4 pieces she plays from her preliminary performance.
Scarlatti, Sonata in D minor, K. 1/L. 366
Scarlatti, Sonata in D minor, K. 141/L. 422
Alkan, Barcarolle, Op. 65, No. 6
Debussy, "La puerta del vino" from Preludes, Book 2

I'm not a big Clasical music fan but this is beautiful music smile

(These links to YouTube were posted by the Van Cliburn Foundation) Esfir Ross Video

Now... I feel... so...... indequate .... and so much a beginner.... and of course I am a beginner smile and enjoying the journey very much.

John

Edited by John_In_Montreal (06/19/11 11:29 AM)

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
73 registered (Akshay, Atrys, B.Petrovic, ando, 19 invisible), 1067 Guests and 41 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74250 Members
42 Forums
153598 Topics
2251174 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Easter Themed Recordings - Kawai CA95
by wolferblade
34 minutes 30 seconds ago
First recordings - Some music for Easter
by wolferblade
Today at 01:01 AM
Recorded a song on my workstation tonight
by Arizona Sage
Today at 12:04 AM
How to tune a piano.....
by Grandpianoman
Yesterday at 11:46 PM
Need help with upgrading(?) Roland digital
by Pathbreaker
Yesterday at 10:23 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission