2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Burkhard, apianostudent, Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 11 invisible), 1,858 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1648409 03/26/11 03:32 PM
D
Denniis Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hi!
I'm new to this forum and new to the piano world.
I've got one question: Does DP's ever go down in price, if so, when and how much approximately?

Grateful for all answers.

Thanks in advance.

P
P
Digital pianos have seen a lot of upgrades over the years but don't expect changes to be as fast as with computers. Computer advances are eventually reflected in DPs but the demand of instruments is lower and a key component (no pun intended) is mechanical which doesn't evolve at the same speed. It takes a while to see prices go down or models to be replaced by more advanced versions.

Waiting a bit makes sense when there's a new model of a particular brand you're very interested in and for which you have good references or experience to know it will suit your needs. If that's not the case and you don't own a DP already you should really try to buy one among current models/prices, because the time you can spend on the instrument instead of waiting is well worth whatever minor upgrades or amount of cash you may get. There is and will always be a very wide price range, from a few hundred euros/dollars to tens of thousands, so what you need will probably be out there already.

S
S
i would say the most they go down is 20% - a 1200 keyboard will be about 1000 at the last sale times. Usually you pay more when they first come out and they they will drop about 200.00 is usually pretty normal.

Yamaha P-250 | Galaxy II Pianos | Galaxy Vintage D | The GIANT | Ravenscroft 275
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Denniis
.. Does DP's ever go down in price, if so, when and how much approximately?..

The over all trend, if you look over the last 10 years is downward prices or better performance for the same price.. But that is a slow trend that also applies to TV sets and computers

Here iin the US there are twob basic classes of DP. One is sold through mass market retails like Guitar Center and Sam Ash and online. THese some times so on sale for 15% off give or take. Not a huge discount. In fact you can usual bargin with the seller and get as good of a deal. These reselers work on a thin markup and really don't have room to move the price much

The second class is higher end "cabinet" or "home" pianos sold at piano dealers. These resellers work at a much higher markups and much lower volume and they have much more room to move the price.

You should read the "prices" thread in this forum and see the wide range of prices for the same piano especially with the more expensive models

You should be able to get 10% off at any of the big chain stores. DOn't just walk in and say "I want to buy this, now can I have 10% off" That will not work. But they will typically reduce the price for you if the salesman thinks he has to in order to close the deal. But first he will offer 0% loan or something. Just don't pay sticker price. But also don't expect 20% off at a big chain store, they'd be loosing money. But I think Piano dealers might work at 100% markups on some items and might afford a 25% off deal.

It's always a salesman's job to close the deal and not let you "walk" so make him work for his money.

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
If a new model of a keyboard comes out the old model will get discounted by maybe 30%, for example when the Motif Rack XS came out Musicians Friend discounted the older Motif Rack so I was able to buy it for $899, down from I think $1299. This was a few years ago but I expect the same still holds true. Also stores will hold sales - Guitar center has 15% off any non sale item this weekend if you use their credit card.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Denniis
Does DP's ever go down in price, if so, when and how much approximately?
That depends on the marketing tier.

The low-end keyboards and consoles sell at fixed prices, with occasional sales/specials. The price for a given model may drop slightly in price when it goes out of production.

The selling price for a high-end console is entirely negotiable. There is no fixed price, so there can be no "price drop" in the conventional sense.

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Chris G
I Guitar center has 15% off any non sale item this weekend if you use their credit card.

They are the hardest place on Earth to figure out. The post card I got says $30 off if you spend $199 or more nothing about a credit card. That works to the same 15%. I think they send different promotions out to different people. Luck of the draw which you get. But the fine print excludes many items from the deal.

The emailed me a $10 gift card too, second one I got this year.

This weekend Sam Ash is having a sale too but only one some items. Last time it was no-brand Chinese microphone cables for almost free.

But really you can get as good of a deal any time. You can always get at least 10% off at those big stores sale or no sale. Sometimes you can do better.

Last edited by ChrisA; 03/26/11 11:59 PM.
D
Denniis Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks for all your answers.
I live in Europe and the prices of a DP is a bit more expensive here, thats why I wondered.
Anyways all of your answers were very informative.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission