2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
33 members (Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,240 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1648469 03/26/11 05:34 PM
O
OP Offline
O
Hi!
Did anyone compared side by side in terms of the main AP sound and action these DP's? Listening through youtube the main AP sound in DGX640 seems a bit hallow compared to P95....am i wrong? I know they have both 6watts speakers but could the heavy plastic building in DGX 640 render this hollowness of the sound? The sound of P95 on the other hand seems to be more present in articulated...Can anybody confirm this? On the other hand, i know that the actions are both GHS, but do they feel the same? I suspect there could be some differences in build quality that would explain why DGX 640 has so many extrafeatures and yet they are similary priced if we add a matching stand for P95 also...
Thank you!

Last edited by Ovidiu M; 03/26/11 05:35 PM.
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
If you are concerned about the sound, you should keep in mind that both of these pianos have a single layer paino sample which by defination has limited dynamic range. A digital filter tries to emulate the dynamic range of p ff mf, etc. It is not too bad in the lower range but as you hit middle C and above, striking the keys harder just makes them louder and you don't hear overtones of the strings vibrating. I think the DGX 640 has a better speaker system than the P-95 which has smaller speakers and more limited sound quality. Powered speakers will provide an improvement.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by galaxy4t
If you are concerned about the sound, you should keep in mind that both of these pianos have a single layer paino sample

I know I've seen that put forth numerous times here, but I don't believe it's ever been confirmed as fact, and having had a P95 at my disposal for a while, I'm quite sure it is not a single layer. There is a point where I can go back and forth between two close velocities and hear a clear timbre shift to what sounds like a different sample. I actually recorded it in ProTools with the intent of posting it to demonstrate. I'll get around to it one of these days!

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Ovidiu M
Hi!
Did anyone compared side by side in terms of the main AP sound and action these DP's? Listening through youtube the main AP sound in DGX640 seems a bit hallow compared to P95....am i wrong?

Yamaha uses the same GHS key action in both and I'm pretty sure the sound generation is the same in both. The reason to go for the 640 is if you want all the other non-piano features and accompaniment loops and so on. and witht the 640 you get a stand too.

I think they can charge the same because so many people buy based on looks. The 640 looks like :high tech: and the P95 more understated. All those extras, I'm sure don't cost anything to make.

Hard to compare sound qualify ovr utube as it depends so much of how it was recored.

C
C
Hi,I am using a Yamaha p85 and I want to sell it and go for the Yamaha dgx 640 because of the features but I don't know if they feel the same way. The keys of the p 85 are a little heavy, (GHS), that's why i love it. I want to know if the keys of the DGX 640 (GHS) are the same hard (heavy) than my p85. sorry for my English.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I`ve tried the keys of the 640 against those of the P105 and they don`t feel quite the same. GHS action is usually light which I like; You`ll need to try it first.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
C
C
tank you, I will try it

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by anotherscott
Originally Posted by galaxy4t
If you are concerned about the sound, you should keep in mind that both of these pianos have a single layer paino sample

I know I've seen that put forth numerous times here, but I don't believe it's ever been confirmed as fact, and having had a P95 at my disposal for a while, I'm quite sure it is not a single layer. There is a point where I can go back and forth between two close velocities and hear a clear timbre shift to what sounds like a different sample. I actually recorded it in ProTools with the intent of posting it to demonstrate. I'll get around to it one of these days!

DPBSD thread:

https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1679317/Re:%20The%20DPBSD%20Project!.html#Post1679317

From that:

"This is most likely a single-layer sample set."

It's quite possible to have a single-layer sample set, and get tonal variation with volume by using velocity-dependent filters. That's the way synths did their pianos, when ROM was precious. My Korg X5D uses that trick on lots of voices, including its "M1 Piano" patch.

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission