2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (brennbaer, Bellyman, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, bobrunyan, 14 invisible), 1,975 guests, and 346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Josh_P Offline OP
OP Offline
I posted this on a piano forum. I was wondering if I could fit a 9 foot estonia in a room with dimensions, 11ft 10.5 in x 10 ft 4in. I found it at an incredible price, a screaming deal.

Working On:
Beethoven-32 Variations in C minor
Beethoven- Opus 109
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
You'd probably have to fit it in diagonally, because the 9-foot length of the piano doesn't account for the bench nor for the room needed between the bench and the piano for someone to sit at the piano. It would leave virtually no room for anything else and, unless voiced down extensively, would so overpower the room both visually and sonically that you probably couldn't stand it.

Moreover, when it comes to servicing the action of the piano, there's hardly enough room for the technician to get in and slide the action out.

What is the age or the serial number of the piano? Estonias at a "screaming deal" may - with emphasis on the "may" - be older pianos which in no way compare to the quality of the Estonias made since 2000.

Just because it's a "screaming deal," what's the point of buying a piano that you might not have room for? Sounds to me like it's a "no deal".

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
...an older Estonia in poor condition noticed on the market by buyers pops up periodically here at piano world. be careful.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
JoshP posted that he is a 14-year old from Seattle, Wash., who recently stated that he is moving to Connecticut. Now he wants to buy a 9-foot concert grand for a 10 x 12 room - before or after the move?

It seems to me that there has to be some rational input into the whole question, and that that has not yet happened.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Josh_P
I posted this on a piano forum. I was wondering if I could fit a 9 foot estonia in a room with dimensions, 11ft 10.5 in x 10 ft 4in. I found it at an incredible price, a screaming deal.

Would there be more space for you to sit (and for the technician) if the piano were situated at an angle (instead of running parallel to a wall)?

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
JoshP posted that he is a 14-year old from Seattle, Wash., who recently stated that he is moving to Connecticut. Now he wants to buy a 9-foot concert grand for a 10 x 12 room - before or after the move?

It seems to me that there has to be some rational input into the whole question, and that that has not yet happened.

Regards,

Bruce, that comment gave me a very good laugh. Sometimes it seems that PW serves an additional purpose to its stated goal, that of providing an outlet to flights of fancy.

Josh_P Offline OP
OP Offline
The move to Connecticut was going to happen, but due to some family problems job wisewe decided to stay in Seattle. The piano in question is new, 2010 and I think sound wise it would be a lot. We are proabably not getting it because of space issues, one can always dream smile. I think most people would live for a concert grand and it would probably be amazing. Idk, but i will definetly tell you guys when we get a new instrument. Oh ya, the Estonia was offered in the low 30's that's why I was kinda flipping out. I think they could price it at that because the dealer bought a huge quantity from Estonia. Bach-petri sheep may safely graze sounded so amazing on it.

Thanks

Working On:
Beethoven-32 Variations in C minor
Beethoven- Opus 109
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
If you have to have an Estonia 9' concert grand, there is one available in Clinton, Washington. It's a 2000, not from the new factory, but still an Indrek Laul piano. If the first one is a screaming deal at the low 30's, this one is positively hysterical at $20,000.

People who prefer concert grands for home use usually don't get the full richness and depth of tone from the instrument if they don't have a very large room with tall ceilings. While concert grands are known to have excellent actions, in part because the keys are longer, you can get equally superb actions these days in semi-concert grands or even smaller grands. All you need is the right high quality instrument and an excellent technician. Why not consider a semi-concert grand for your space? There are also some 6'3" Estonias on the market now for much less than new.

Fazioli 228.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
If the low 30s are a "screaming deal" for you, then perhaps you'd be interested in contributing to the storesfoundationâ„¢. Payment in the form of credit card, money order, good old cash, or concert grand is accepted. You'll receive a handwritten letter of appreciation from the foundation president himself upon receipt of your donation.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stores
If the low 30s are a "screaming deal" for you, then perhaps you'd be interested in contributing to the storesfoundationâ„¢. Payment in the form of credit card, money order, good old cash, or concert grand is accepted. You'll receive a handwritten letter of appreciation from the foundation president himself upon receipt of your donation.

But how large is your living room and how kind have you been to your neighbors recently?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andromaque
Originally Posted by stores

But how large is your living room and how kind have you been to your neighbors recently?

Big enough, if there's a concert grand in the works and I've been very, very good =)

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission