2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (CharlesXX, bcalvanese, AlkansBookcase, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, Carey, accordeur, 1957, 10 invisible), 2,154 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
OP Offline
A
Hi there,
I'm new to the forum and I thought it'd be useful if I joined after I just got my new keyboard. I finally got a casio CDP-200R and before this, I used to use my digital camera to film my videos from my grand piano. However, this new one allows me to use an SD card so I decided it would be much better quality if i recorded directly. Getting it to record was the easy part...

Now that i have the data on the SD card and put it into my laptop, it is a .AL7 file and I'm not sure what program to open it with or how to convert it into an MP3 file. After many many unsuccessful google searches, I'm hoping somebody here can help me out.

This would be awesome :]
Thanks!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Have a look at the manual, page E-65.

A
OP Offline
A
That didn't tell me how I can convert it or anything.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
per page E-65, you can't DO anything with the data, just save it away and load it back into the piano.

So if you want to DO anything with your songs, hook up a midi cable and use a midi sequencer program.
Or just record the audio, etc.

If you want to try out my little midi sequencer, I can help you out with it.

http://PianoCheetah.app - my weird piano practice program
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Alexia Mainiero
Hi there,
I'm new to the forum and I thought it'd be useful if I joined after I just got my new keyboard. I finally got a casio CDP-200R and before this, I used to use my digital camera to film my videos from my grand piano. However, this new one allows me to use an SD card so I decided it would be much better quality if i recorded directly. Getting it to record was the easy part...

Now that i have the data on the SD card and put it into my laptop, it is a .AL7 file and I'm not sure what program to open it with or how to convert it into an MP3 file. After many many unsuccessful google searches, I'm hoping somebody here can help me out.

This would be awesome :]
Thanks!

The very simplest thing to do is use a camera that has a line in jack and connect that to "line-out" in the piano. If the piano has no line-out use the headphone jack. You will need to experiment with the various volume controls.

If you want to record to a computer can have to deside if you want to record the audio or MIDI data.

Converting MIDI to MP3 is not simple There is not sound in MIDI Think of MIDi like an old paper piano roll. Any converter must do the same thing your piano does, simulate the sounds of the strings and so on. There are many to choose from some produce sound quality much better than your Caiso piano.

Either way you 'll need software on the computer. Apple Macs have the software already installed. Windows PCs require you to look around and do some research. Prices are free to way-high. So you may or may not need software depending on your computer.

I think I remember reading there is a software by Casio that converts their format to MIDI

A
OP Offline
A
Awesome, thanks guys :]

I'll see if I can use the line in directly to my computer and hope its easier.

Sorry, coudn't resist... here's my two cents... smile

With only 48 polyphony I bet it sounds worse than the grand that you were recording with before.

So instead of recording via Casio's line out, why not use the USB instead?
Use the CDP-200R as a controller for Sforzando which can play a max polyphony 128. Which means the sound will have higher resolution. But that max polyphony is not for the whole 88 keys but for a group- a smaller set of keys. This means, 10 groups equals 1280 polyphony! That is assuming the sound font you chose uses groups and that your PC has the processor and memory to support it.

It can also record your performance directly as wav files. Set the file destination, press record, and start playing!

And as mentioned earlier you can choose better sound fonts than the built-in General MIDI in the CDP-200R.
Download you soundfont and load them to Sforzando. Like the Yamaha Upright Piano from Versilian Community Sample Library, which also has Kawai, Steinway, and Knight.

Note: ASIO4ALL must be installed to virtually remove latency.

Hard at work while waiting for my dream DP....
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I don’t follow you about the 10 groups equals 1280 polyphony... why a 128 factor.

The needed polyphony depends of the fastness of the piece, the use of the pedal and the duration of each note. (A C8 is quite short whatever the duration you press the key).

I have tried some pieces with a lot of notes in a short time (Appassionata, Fantasie impromptu), and Ivory reports a maximum needed polyphony near 120-130 : when Ivory doesn’t cut notes, the duration of the notes are short enough that they ended before the polyphony goes upper than 130.

Then a 130 polyphony limit with this sound library wont change anything compared to an infinite polyphony.

Now, what about the polyphony limit which degrades what you *hear*... I have done some comparison here : https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...note-polyphony-question.html#Post2546673 I have to admit I don’t hear a difference between 128 and 64. The cut notes are in the lowest part of the decay, then I don’t hear that Ivory cut them to fit the required polyphony. But perhaps you have better ears.

Last edited by Frédéric L; 04/27/21 02:50 PM.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I have just verified the group notions in the SFZ format... there is the group header which makes all notes in the group share the same parameters (no polyphony effect), and the group parameter (group=N) which makes each note of the same group to be shut off when we play a note in the same group (a note on the A string of a guitar will shut off all previous note on the same string),

Then this group has a polyphony behaviour : if you declare 10 groups, your polyphony will be reduced to near 10 (not 1280), but it would be a strange effect on a piano.

(Near 10, because cutting off a note could take some time to avoid an unnatural drop out).

See : https://sfzformat.com/opcodes/polyphony_group

Last edited by Frédéric L; 04/27/21 03:12 PM.

Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
@Josh: It pays to look at the date of a post before you reply.
You wrote in a thread that started and ended in March 2011. The original poster (Alexia Mainiero) hasn't been here since then.
The other respondents haven't been here for a long while, either.
Originally Posted by josh_sounds
Sorry, coudn't resist... here's my two cents... smile

With only 48 polyphony I bet it sounds worse than the grand that you were recording with before.

So instead of recording via Casio's line out, why not use the USB instead?
Use the CDP-200R as a controller for Sforzando which can play a max polyphony 128. Which means the sound will have higher resolution. But that max polyphony is not for the whole 88 keys but for a group- a smaller set of keys. This means, 10 groups equals 1280 polyphony! That is assuming the sound font you chose uses groups and that your PC has the processor and memory to support it.

It can also record your performance directly as wav files. Set the file destination, press record, and start playing!

And as mentioned earlier you can choose better sound fonts than the built-in General MIDI in the CDP-200R.
Download you soundfont and load them to Sforzando. Like the Yamaha Upright Piano from Versilian Community Sample Library, which also has Kawai, Steinway, and Knight.

Note: ASIO4ALL must be installed to virtually remove latency.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I propose creating the oldest resurrected thread award. smile

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
This award should be added to the sticky threads.

(However, the polyphony subject comes from time to time... a nice pretender)

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
What ever happened to Alexia Mainiero?

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I did not mean this one in particular. But from memory, this one is one of the, if not THE, oldest one being resurrected since I subscribed to the forum.:)

Originally Posted by Frédéric L
This award should be added to the sticky threads.

(However, the polyphony subject comes from time to time... a nice pretender)

Last edited by EVC2017; 04/27/21 05:14 PM.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
M
M
Everyone loves a good necropost every now and then. wink

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Frédéric L
I have just verified the group notions in the SFZ format... there is the group header which makes all notes in the group share the same parameters (no polyphony effect), and the group parameter (group=N) which makes each note of the same group to be shut off when we play a note in the same group (a note on the A string of a guitar will shut off all previous note on the same string),

Then this group has a polyphony behaviour : if you declare 10 groups, your polyphony will be reduced to near 10 (not 1280), but it would be a strange effect on a piano.

(Near 10, because cutting off a note could take some time to avoid an unnatural drop out).

See : https://sfzformat.com/opcodes/polyphony_group

Could you check this out as well on Sforzando max polyphony and how it handles group:
The Product Lines - paragraph 2
https://soundbytesmag.net/review-sfz-piano-bundle-from-production-voices/

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Morodiene
Everyone loves a good necropost every now and then. wink

Then let's have it fade out again smile

There has been some value in this resurrection. We now have a neologism from Morodiene: necropost. smile

P
pwl Online Content
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
Morodiene is BACK - and I'm here for it!

M
M
I learned from it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission