Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1649501 - 03/28/11 12:25 PM What insurance do you have?
Scott Coletta Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
I am getting ready to move to Chicago with my wife in a couple months, leaving behind all my students in Maryland frown. But on a positive note I'm planning to start a studio in my apartment instead of driving to the students, which is what I've always done. However, it seems like it would be a good idea to have some insurance for a studio and I know that many teachers do. Any advice on where to get this, what type of insurance, what should it cover? I guess I'm concerned about people being "sue-happy", although I've never even had anything close to this kind of problem when teaching in the student's home, it seems this might be more of an issue with a studio. This also brings up another question... Should parent's be required to sit in during the lesson and/or accompany young students to and from the studio? It seems this might be a burden for some parents but I wonder if there might be some concern with kids being by themselves. Any advice here is much appreciated.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1649509 - 03/28/11 12:38 PM Re: What insurance do you have? [Re: Scott Coletta]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
You must have liability. Have you checked with the apartment complex to see if an in-home business is allowed?

I would definitely suggest that students at least be accompanied to the door and picked up from the door unless you have a clear view of them arriving and leaving. They should not be waiting outside, even in the hallway, unsupervised.

#1649542 - 03/28/11 01:24 PM Re: What insurance do you have? [Re: Scott Coletta]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
You can also check with MTNA if you are a member, as they do have policies that you can get "group" rates from them on.

A rider to your renter's policy for business in the home would be suitable for if someone slipped on the sidewalk on their way to your place, or to cover your piano in case of a fire, but for liability you'd need a commercial business policy.

Your best bet is to speak to your agent and tell them the kind of things you are concerned about. A full-blown business liability policy can be extremely costly, but a commercial business policy is much more affordable and will cover most (but not all) liability claims. It all depends on your risk and comfort level.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1649691 - 03/28/11 05:02 PM Re: What insurance do you have? [Re: Scott Coletta]
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Although I own my house, I still got a rider on my homeowners insurance to cover my business liability. I bet you can do the same for renter's insurance.

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA

#1649814 - 03/28/11 08:15 PM Re: What insurance do you have? [Re: Stanny]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: Stanny
Although I own my house, I still got a rider on my homeowners insurance to cover my business liability. I bet you can do the same for renter's insurance.

When shopping for quotes, I asked each one specifically if they covered liability for teaching purposes. It was surprising how much they varied - from including it already in the policy, to adding a rider with additional premium, to having no option for it, to invalidating your entire policy if you conduct any business on your property.

To make matters worse, most of them aren't very upfront about it, unless you ask. You really have to do your homework with this stuff. Ask lots of questions of your potential insurer.

#1649846 - 03/28/11 10:13 PM Re: What insurance do you have? [Re: Scott Coletta]
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I use State Farm, and one of the workers in their office is a piano teacher, so she knew just what to add to my policy to cover my business. It's only about $30 a year more.

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA

#1650107 - 03/29/11 09:02 AM Re: What insurance do you have? [Re: Scott Coletta]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Be careful, though, because some business riders don't really cover liability completely. Like I said, it might just be if someone sues if they slip on your sidewalk or something, but not if there's a lawsuit against your business for something like sexual harassment or unlawful business practices.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1650518 - 03/29/11 08:18 PM Re: What insurance do you have? [Re: Scott Coletta]
Scott Coletta Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
Thanks everyone. I'll just have to look into it more, but at least now I have a better idea of what to be on the look out for. smile

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is A443 banned definitively?
by Olek
10/24/14 04:01 AM
Ritmuller Grand Pianos - Help!
by Mike RSA
10/24/14 03:56 AM
J.D.Grandt Bass Strings Opinions Please
by chernobieff
10/23/14 11:48 PM
Which Electronic Sounds & Feels Most Like Real?
by MinstrelandMuse
10/23/14 11:47 PM
fun music theory
by David Farley
10/23/14 07:56 PM
Who's Online
70 registered (beet31425, bjorn of brekkukot, Beemer, AZNpiano, casinitaly, 15 invisible), 1103 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76633 Members
42 Forums
158462 Topics
2327021 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission