2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
cardguy Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
Here's my question: It feels to me that when my hands are cold that I lose a great deal of dexterity. It never occurred to me to question this before...

But this morning after having problems fumbling at the keyboard with cold, clammy hands, I wonder if the problem might actually be in my head...

Do cold hands really cause what they seem to, which is a loss of speed and dexterity?

Perhaps a better question would be: Is it possible to play well with cold hands?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
That's why they call warming up, warming up.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
P
P
It's interesting because the major muscles that actually move the fingers are actually located in our forearms yet we tend to focus on our hands and their termperature when we consider dexterity (although there are some muscles in the hands that assist in motions, but not the major muscles).

I remember reading in the the Principles of Piano Practice suggestions about warming the hands before playing but I had never tried it. Then, I went to a recital of masters level students and one of the female students was sitting with a pair of wool gloves on her hands right up until she had to play. I guess she wanted to make sure her hands were warm. She probably should have focused on her forearms as well, simply from an anatomical standpoint.

i suffer from raynauds, and when my hands are cold they are FREEZING, so yes, i do lose dexterity and it's not just an illusion, because i don't think about it until i realize that my playing has gone to heck (and it affects other activities as well). It's annoying, but during the winter my school likes to keep the practice rooms annoyingly warm so it hasn't really bothered me recently.

L
L
Wait, it gets worse as you age. Never really had problems as a youngster except maybe coming in from the cold in winter.
It sucks to get old.

C
cardguy Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
Lol, liketoplay. Me 3. I do try to warm up, but especially in the morning my hands seem to be permanently cold....

I don't know how all you professionals do it. I mean, there must be SOME anxiety even for the most hardened performer. My nerves go directly to my hands, making them cold and wet...or I should say even colder and clammier than usual

Last edited by cardguy; 03/28/11 02:20 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Try these.

http://www.wristies.com/

I have a pair of the original wristies and love them.

Do or do not. There is no try.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm guessing, but think most people would agree that playing with warmer (or normal temperature) hands are preferable than cold ones (that feel somewhat stiff).

Could it be in your head? I think its possible. Have you thought about the way you feel (when you are playing) and your hands get cold and clammy? In contrast, are they also cold and clamming when you're just about to go to sleep (or have been in bed for a few minutes)? I know mine become cold when I'm nervous about something. I mention bedtime, because that is when I think people are the most relaxed. If there is a difference, I think its entirely possible that your mental state of mind has something to do with it.

I've noticed during the past year or two, that both my hands and feet feel cold most of the time. I asked my doctor about it and she said that as we grow older, our physiology changes and the receptors that tell your brain to send blood closer to the skin (having a warming effect), sometimes don't work as well later in life. Not sure if this is happening to you, but this might be another possibility.

Generally, when my hands get uncomfortably cold, a nice hot bath usually does the trick or, if I'm too lazy, I'll fill up the sink with hot water (as hot as I can stand it) and soak my hands/wrists until they feel warmed up.

Last edited by Akira; 03/28/11 03:36 PM.
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Those who want to have warmed hands prior to a performance: carry a plastic water bottle with you and fill it with hot tap water when you get to your performance venue. Keep your hands wrapped around it until it's time to perform.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
These are good too. Heat them up in the micorwave and they stay warm for a long time. Mine smell like lavender.

http://www.carex.com/products/detail/288

i dump a few cups of rice in a good sock, tie it and microwave it ...at home. It stays warm for 20 to 30 minutes, then I just rewarm it..

duh, it never occurred to me to use a bottle.

I also practice with silk gloves.. I think they're awesome, but some people might think they're slippery. Once they are used just a bit, they're perfect.

http://www.wintersilks.com/viewproduct.aspx?BRANCH=1518~9669~&ProductDisplayID=67&dept=Silk+Warmth+Headquarters-Lower+Warmer+&prod=lightweight+silk+glove+liners

Last edited by apple*; 03/28/11 04:16 PM.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Joints and tendons have a natural lubricant, and all move better when warm. Muscles too stretch more freely when warm; and there are important muscles in the hand, although perhaps minor compared to the forearms.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by cardguy

Do cold hands really cause what they seem to, which is a loss of speed and dexterity?

Perhaps a better question would be: Is it possible to play well with cold hands?

For me, the answers are definitely yes, and no.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
A wife helps...

but then again so does hot water!

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by lilylady
A wife helps...

but then again so does hot water!

The hot water is cheaper and,

you get to change it when it's not so hot anymore. (sorry )

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Are you talking about the wife or the water? :p (sorry, I couldn't resist!)

Last edited by Akira; 03/28/11 09:34 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by cardguy

Playing with cold hands increases the risk of an injury.

A
A
Loss of dexterity, yes. Possibility of playing well with cold hands? Not a chance. The colder it is, the harder I find it to move my fingers - in the middle of winter, I can barely bend them. I've learned Mozart sonatas in the summer, and found it impossible to play the first ten exercises of Czerny's opus 599 evenly the following winter.

Do you have Raynaud's? It seems to have more of an effect on dexterity than ordinary cold hands. Maybe because it takes a while for the blood to come back to the hands, or something like that. What I've found makes a difference is trying to avoid temperature changes just before I play - no sticking my hand in the fridge to get an apple, or getting anything out from the freezer, or going outside. I also take medication, which has made a huge difference, but the side effects aren't for everyone.

K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
I suspect the underlying problem might be that, if your hands feel cold, _you_ are cold. That is, cold everywhere, but feeling it in your hands. Where I come from we have a saying: if your feet are cold, wear a hat. I'd guess is works for hands also smile

If I'm right -- and I concede that I might not be -- warming up your actual hands (or even forearms) won't help much, except that any kind of exercise will raise your whole body temperature slightly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission