2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, 4 invisible), 1,288 guests, and 287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1650291 03/29/11 02:10 PM
T
OP Offline
T
What's your set-up? And how is it working for you?

Thanks for sharing!

Roland RD800, EV ZXA-1.
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
M-audio bx5A monitors on my Celviano AP-620. I like 'em a lot. They're small, sit nicely on the piano, look nice, sound great, didn't cost a lot.

Lee
R
R
Blue Sky Pro Desk. They do not make this series any longer but I've been very happy with the system. Recordings translate well to the other systems. From a support perspective they are amazing, I had the sub go out well after the warranty period. sent it in, they fixed it without charge. Highly recommended.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Jul03/articles/bluesky.asp

Music Hack

Nord NP88,Yamaha Motif ES7, Brodmann 187 Grand,
A
A
Yamaha HS-80m fed by a Yamaha MG-10/2 mixing board. Works great for stereo, recording, my new CP5, my old Rhodes (dialed in w/ an active DI), ... you name it.

Some people blame the HS-80m for sounding too harsh, sterile and analytical – I for my part am pretty happy with them so far.

Best

Andreas
Got a pair of Tannoy Reveals(unfortunately not internal amped). I have to say, they're quite nice. In lower end not very tight, but very nice quality for the price (135 euros each).
Heard some KRK, very nice as well, but also a lot of coloring in the sound.

Roland V-Piano, Many synths, Accordeon, Hurdy Gurdy & Mandolin.
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
KRK Rokit 5 and I just ordered a sub (mfg refurbished)Polk Audio PSW110. Last time I posted about the monitors I'd just gotten them and wasn't sure whether I liked them or not. I can now report that I'm very pleased with them and can't wait for the sub to arrive. I run them into a mixer with the keyboard and a Roland JV1080 rack and everything sounds clear and crisp at high or low volume.

Sandy

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T

Yamaha HS50M and a Wharfedale SW150 subwoofer. I'm very happy with the detailed and accurate sound of this setup.

Peace

A
A
I'm going to get my NP88 and a pair of KRK Rokit 6 G2's tomorrow, I'll try to post how I like them here. smile

Nord Stage 2, Nord Lead 4, Rhodes MkII, Yamaha MOX6, Novation SL MkII
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by thomsurf
What's your set-up?

For home use in a small room. I have two setups and some ability to swap the connections around. Well three if you count the internal speakers. But mostly I use headphones.

1) P155 internal speakers. These are actually OK for low volume practice. The bass is not convincing but really mostly we play near middle C and it's good enough most practice

2) Polk Audio R50 speakers (these are about 33" high floor standing, two bass drivers and one 3/4" dome tweeter) driven by a 50WPC (100W total) amp. People tell me that from another room the P155 with this audio setup sounds like an acoustic piano but with internal speakers it's obviously a digital piano. I've had the p155 play from recording and I have to agree, good enough to fool you if you are not in the same room. The sound of these speakers is not as detailed as #3 below because the sound gets "processed" somewhat by bouncing off the walls and ceiling before I hear it but this mimics the sound of an acoustic well.

3) Samson "resolve" 5" monitors. I had doubts these would be any good. But I got them way-cheap ($80 for the pair) because they were returned by another customer without the box and there were very minor finish scratches. I had to pull them apart and look inside. Good engineering inside. They sound "detailed", the stereo image is very good but like all monitors of this type the suite spot is small. I use them mostly connected to a computer for editing, tweaking and review and as general purpose computer speakers and sometimes with the DP. They sit on top on 8" tall stands on a normal height desk. The stands help as they place the tweeter at about ear level. If you want to hear how your DP will sound after it is recorded these speakers will do that.

4) As a one time experiment that now is disassembled, I had a couple broken Hammond organs, real ones with many vacuum tubes inside. They were sold as "junk" that I bought for parts to be used in guitar and stereo amps. I managed to get some of the audio amp sections working so I thought "what if I rig my Yamaha P155 to play though the audio section of the Hammond? At least the EP voices should be good. Right?" Well, 60 year old salvaged amps do have limited audio quality as do the old Alnico speakers but it was clear this idea was worth working on. The old tube amps seem to filter out any "digital" quality in the sound and add organic character and get the P155 a more real sound.

5) I didn't leave this set up either, one time experiment. Polk audio M70 was used in place of the R50 described in #2 above. It had a slightly darker sound. My 50WPC channel amp lacked the power to fully exploit the m70's more extended bass. The M70 was determined to be overkill and physically to large for a 11x14 foot music room. I had to pull the piano out from the wall in order to place the M70s correctly. I think the M70 and a much bigger power amp could reproduce the volume level of a large acoustic grand piano. (But who wants that in a small room? You'd go deaf)

Last edited by ChrisA; 03/30/11 01:19 PM.
T
OP Offline
T
Great info. Thanks guys.

For practicing and recording (nearfield) I think it makes a lot of sense to use 2.1 setup like the one Rick Shapiro links to. Wonder if the Blue Sky Exo2 is any good..

Roland RD800, EV ZXA-1.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission