Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
140 registered (Alegretto, accordeur, Auver, anamnesis, ajames, 47 invisible), 1664 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1635486 - 03/07/11 08:56 AM What is your 'Home Studio' Like?
MordentMusic Offline

Loc: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Hey everyone!

I am in the process of (possibly) buying a new house. So far so good, but now we need the home inspection...

Anyway, I've taught at my home for the past few years now. I have a lovely baby grand that I keep in my living room, which has nice, old, hardwood floors.

This new house we're looking at, has carpet in the area I want my studio to be. At first glance we just said we'd rip it up and put hardwood in, but when we went to go look again we started feeling guilty, because it is nice, new carpeting.

Ideally, we would all love to teach in a big empty room with high ceilings, and a hard floor, but that can't always be accommodated. Do you think it would be unwise to keep the carpet, and teach in that room? I know the sound quality will suffer a little, but the majority of my students are surely too young to even be able to tell the difference lol.

I also want to maintain a professional atmosphere, and hardwood is a lot 'classier' than carpet... did I mention it was green? :S

Thanks everyone!

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1635612 - 03/07/11 11:55 AM Re: What is your 'Home Studio' Like? [Re: MordentMusic]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
What is wrong with carpet?

Take your shoes off at the door please (when it is raining or snowing)

Absorbing harsh notes.

Warm and inviting.

You have a baby grand? What size? and make?

My home studio used to have a small upright in the LR but I lived alone so it was fine. I also taught in a pro studio at a Piano Ctr and in a the music room of a Middle School.

Students were there for lessons and learning.

There are those here on this forum who have wonderful, ideal home studios. They make me smile. How fortunate for the teacher AND the student!

#1635619 - 03/07/11 12:10 PM Re: What is your 'Home Studio' Like? [Re: MordentMusic]
Overexposed Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Mordent, it sounds like there is guilt about wasting a good carpet. So don't waste it. Remove it in one large piece and then advertise it on craigslist. Someone would love to have it.

It sounds like your preference is for the look and resonance of hardwood, so I would go with that. I have a large area rug over hardwood floor in my studio. Sound is still resonant. My guess is that carpet wall to wall absorbs more sound than an area rug. You did not mention using an area rug though. Without any rug it's bound to be more resonant in the room.

#1635632 - 03/07/11 12:29 PM Re: What is your 'Home Studio' Like? [Re: MordentMusic]
AkBark Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I teach in my home's basement so as not to drive other people in my household insane. It's carpeted, and a bit cold. I have yet to hear a complaint concerning the situation from any students or their respective parents.

The sound quality that the room provides isn't terribly important. What is important to the student and parent is that you are an effective, kind teacher, and that you maintain your surroundings in a nice, clean and orderly way.

#1635654 - 03/07/11 12:58 PM Re: What is your 'Home Studio' Like? [Re: MordentMusic]
Mary Williams Offline

Loc: United States
My studio has two Yamaha U1s, hardwood floors, and plaster walls, which makes for a lot of sound. Too much sound, really, so I have a large (shag) area rug. It makes the room sound a little more...calm.

So personally, I don't think carpet is a bad thing, although I'm sure it will get worn out pretty quickly with the high traffic a studio can receive. So, if you don't like it, it probably won't last long anyway.

Edited by Mary Williams (03/07/11 01:00 PM)

#1635680 - 03/07/11 01:28 PM Re: What is your 'Home Studio' Like? [Re: MordentMusic]
Brinestone Offline

My home studio is far from ideal. We live in a basement apartment (my husband's in grad school, and that's how we could save on rent and not go into debt), and the piano is in the living room. I have to send my children to daycare or a friend's house while I teach, so the house is usually quiet, but I have no control over things like carpeting. I do find that carpet seems fine, but I don't teach advanced students.

#1635959 - 03/07/11 07:04 PM Re: What is your 'Home Studio' Like? [Re: MordentMusic]
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

This is what I would do. Remove the carpet, install hardwood, then have the removed carpet cut to fit an area rug size. Best of both worlds! A friend of mine just purchased a carpet remnant for this purpose and it is very nice. Kind of trendy even.

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA

#1636007 - 03/07/11 08:23 PM Re: What is your 'Home Studio' Like? [Re: MordentMusic]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Originally Posted By: MordentMusic
Ideally, we would all love to teach in a big empty room with high ceilings, and a hard floor

That's my studio smile And I have two 6-foot grands side by side. The room has a very "live" acoustics.

#1636038 - 03/07/11 09:32 PM Re: What is your 'Home Studio' Like? [Re: MordentMusic]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
All hard surfaces makes for too much sound. My studio has two grands and wall-to-wall carpet. The walls and ceiling provide enough feedback.

#1636091 - 03/07/11 10:44 PM Re: What is your 'Home Studio' Like? [Re: MordentMusic]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
We ripped out the original carpeting in the studio and replaced it with industrial grade Berber. It handles the wear very well, and as others have noted, serves as sound absorbent as well.

#1636093 - 03/07/11 10:46 PM Re: What is your 'Home Studio' Like? [Re: Minniemay]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
Originally Posted By: Minniemay
All hard surfaces makes for too much sound. My studio has two grands and wall-to-wall carpet. The walls and ceiling provide enough feedback.
This is my experience too. I have two pianos (1 grand, 1 upright) and wall-to-wall carpet. I don't know how close your neighbours will be in your new house, but mine say they can't hear anything unless they're outside and near the music room. Worth thinking about.

#1636286 - 03/08/11 03:12 AM Re: What is your 'Home Studio' Like? [Re: MordentMusic]
wavelength Offline

Loc: Vermont, USA
Personally I don't care for carpet, but I would love to have it's sound absorbing benefit in my studio! I get bad flutter echos.

#1649659 - 03/28/11 04:13 PM Re: What is your 'Home Studio' Like? [Re: MordentMusic]
MordentMusic Offline

Loc: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
thanks everyone for your advice!

We decided to take the carpet up and put hardwood in. My mom is actually interested in the carpet so thats good. I really don't like the carpet AT ALL but I did feel guilty for getting rid of it, thankfully my mom wants it laugh

I've always had lessons in big plaster rooms with NO furniture or rugs, and ceramic flooring. I guess it's what I'm used to. There is such a thing as too much sound, but I have a plush leather sofa set that will help to absorb the sound.

I know most people don't have an ideal studio, right now mine is far from it. I just got lucky enough buying this new house to have a room all to myself on the main level that's excluded from any household traffic, so I want to do it 'right' laugh I'll post before and after pics!

Thanks again guys!

EDIT: and whoever asked it's a black baby grand, Young Chang smile

Edited by MordentMusic (03/28/11 04:14 PM)

#1649686 - 03/28/11 04:58 PM Re: What is your 'Home Studio' Like? [Re: MordentMusic]
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Congrats! Will you share a picture of it with us?

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA

#1650887 - 03/30/11 09:50 AM Re: What is your 'Home Studio' Like? [Re: MordentMusic]
Lollipop Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia
I know you've already decided. Just wanted to share this in case it helps someone else. When I lived in Germany, my piano was on a wood floor. (Not sure it was hardwood, though. Maybe pine?) Here, it is on carpet, and I've been disappointed by the muffled sound. I mentioned it to my piano tech, and he told me that I could probably get the sound I wanted by sitting the piano on a sheet of clear acrylic. He's worked with several churches that have done this and it works well. I haven't tried it yet. (My piano, an upright grand, is extremely heavy, so getting anything under it will be quite a trick.)

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
scales are a struggle
by LarryShone
8 minutes 28 seconds ago
forum extremely slow?
by wouter79
47 minutes 16 seconds ago
Why do we play?
by Jytte
Today at 04:14 PM
Need Help About Accidentals
by Batuhan
Today at 03:29 PM
REPOST: Freaked out by how roughly movers handled piano
by kaustin
Today at 03:10 PM
Forum Stats
77354 Members
42 Forums
159993 Topics
2349541 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission