2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 13 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
OP Offline
W
Just now, I just saw teacher hitting(with a pencil and a violin bow)and yelling at a student for not curving the fingers and not practicing(supposedly), and it was awkward as heck for me. I'm wondering what the teachers here think about such behavior?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think hitting a student is the perfect way to teach them not to take music lessons. I doubt they learn anything else from it.

Abusing children is also a prosecutable offense.

Elene

K
K
Wow... I would never hit a student. Nag, correct, even bribe maybe but never hit. As a child, I was extremely sensitive to authority and would easily be reduced to tears if I got in even just a little bit of trouble (like the time I got caught passing a note in class). I can't think of any remotely normal scenarios in which it would be appropriate to strike a student.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
WOW! I agree with the above. WT*?!?!?! This is amazing!

K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by weldon29
Just now, I just saw teacher hitting(with a pencil and a violin bow)and yelling at a student for not curving the fingers and not practicing(supposedly), and it was awkward as heck for me. I'm wondering what the teachers here think about such behavior?

I'm surprised you even need to ask.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I just need to further my post and say that you NEED to speak about this to the head of the department or something... This is obnoxious and ABSOLUTELY no action requires such reaction!

W
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by Nikolas
I just need to further my post and say that you NEED to speak about this to the head of the department or something... This is obnoxious and ABSOLUTELY no action requires such reaction!
It's not a center or anything, so there's no one to report it to. The mother of the child is actually was actually sitting near her child and was knew that her child was being hit by the teacher, it seems like she doesn't mind that her child was getting "punished".

M
M
My first piano teacher did this to me ( a nun who seemed about a hundred years old at the time and probably was). I was terrified of her and it's a miracle I ever continued. I only recently told my mother this and she was horrified.

I would also say that you should report this, if there is someone to report it to. This kind of behaviour goes against everything that learning should be about.

Teaching piano in English in Switzerland!
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
It's not a center or anything, so there's no one to report it to. The mother of the child is actually was actually sitting near her child and was knew that her child was being hit by the teacher, it seems like she doesn't mind that her child was getting "punished".

OK. The mother was there. Unless you want to enter the morass of getting her classed as an "unfit parent" and having the child taken into care (and don't think that making trouble might not escalate that far) this is definitely NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS.

Anyway, as we've proved so often here, things overheard are often things misconstrued.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I'm thinking if you need to ask, perhaps it isn't as bad as what the word "hitting" sounds like.

Sometimes I touch the back of a student's fingers as she is playing to remind her to round them, as it seems less interrupting than speaking. If I have a pencil in my hand, I can imagine that it would be easy to touch them with the pencil (I don't think I've ever done that, but it's certainly something that could happen.) This is not hitting.

Is this hitting in the form that the student draws back, and says 'ow'? Does it make the finger red, or sting or hurt in any way?

I would be really careful about making accusations. Two objects coming in contact do not necessarily imply pain.

If it is causing pain or is in any way violent, of course it is wrong.

piano teacher
P
P
I have a student that i always need to hit. I think that there's no problem with it.

P
P
It's my girlfriend, btw. I love to hit her wink

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Wow, just.....wow. First you need to define "hitting" a bit more clearly. I know I've tapped a student's hand with my own or possibly with a pencil if I had it in hand. But it NEVER was painful at all for the student, either emotionally or physically.

If in fact, it was something that caused the student emotional and/or physical pain, I think that you may want to approach the mother and suggest that this is not normal practice for a piano teacher. Perhaps she thinks it is good. It will be up to her, but you should definitely make sure you steer clear of that teacher.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
W
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by Exalted Wombat

OK. The mother was there. Unless you want to enter the morass of getting her classed as an "unfit parent" and having the child taken into care (and don't think that making trouble might not escalate that far) this is definitely NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS.

Anyway, as we've proved so often here, things overheard are often things misconstrued.
I don't plan on doing anything about it, and I made this thread to ask what people think about using this kind of ways to teach students, not what I should do about the incident I describe.
Originally Posted by Lollipop

Is this hitting in the form that the student draws back, and says 'ow'? Does it make the finger red, or sting or hurt in any way?

The child was crying.
Originally Posted by Morodiene
Wow, just.....wow. First you need to define "hitting" a bit more clearly. I know I've tapped a student's hand with my own or possibly with a pencil if I had it in hand. But it NEVER was painful at all for the student, either emotionally or physically.
It was pretty obvious from my view that the teacher was hitting to cause physical pain. And I don't think me doing anything would be of any help, as hitting and screaming is a acceptable way to teach young children here unfortunately.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A

The child was crying.

It was pretty obvious from my view that the teacher was hitting to cause physical pain. And I don't think me doing anything would be of any help, as hitting and screaming is a acceptable way to teach young children here unfortunately.

Yikes, something is seriously wrong there... shocked

I wouldn't even think of employing such a technique - gentle or otherwise.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member

I don't find it necessary to hit anyone, except in self-defense. And while much which passes for modern education theory is psycho-babble, a physical approach to attention getting probably solves very few problems. To be fair, when my children were very young (pre-school), it was occasionally necessary to get their attention and sometimes words wouldn't do the trick.

As for this specific case, hearing one side of the story only makes evaluation difficult at best.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Seems like a child protection issue to me. I know in my country, I would contact social services. The fact that the mother was there makes no difference.

The reason is that protecting children is *everyone's* responsibility. Children are rarely able to get help for themselves. Maybe all is OK at home. Maybe it isn't.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
To be fair, when my children were very young (pre-school), it was occasionally necessary to get their attention and sometimes words wouldn't do the trick.
I've also done that once with my older son. The first time he was continuously playing with the gas oven, back in London. This is NOT something you toy with! Another time he was playing with the hot iron, while my wife was using it. I didn't do anything to him and he got burned so that stopped him.

Hitting someone to cause pain, basically means that this is a punishment. If people think that such punishments can be used for educational purposes... I don't know what to say. But I'd like to know where in the world this is taken as the norm, please!

M
M
Yes, in the US, any kind of physical abuse is not allowed. Nor do I think it is really warranted. The child was crying! That poor thing...he probably trusted his teacher *and* his mother, and here they are the ones abusing him (his mother by her silent assent). Now, tears happen when a student doesn't practice or feels bad about their lack of progress...those are all things they have self-imposed and can correct. But it is due to someone causing them physical pain, I do not see the value. Obviously, their life or welfare was not threatened as in Nikolas's examples.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
If people think that such punishments can be used for educational purposes... I don't know what to say. But I'd like to know where in the world this is taken as the norm, please!

Oh, just about everywhere until we got all namby-pamby a relatively short while ago! And since we gave up on physical discipline, the world has become a much better place, right?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission