2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (20/20 Vision, brdwyguy, AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 10 invisible), 1,925 guests, and 267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by aidans
Originally Posted by stores
This has got to be one of the sillier thread topics I've yet seen here. The only thing depressing is that classical doesn't sell as well, nor is as popular, as the inane crap you hear while sitting at a red light from the idiot in the car next to you who feels everyone else should partake in his ignorance.

Do you think this is a new development or has always been the case?

I generally agree with you in your assessment of modern popular music.

Do I think what to be a new development?

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

A
A
That classical music doesn't sell as well, nor is as popular as the music people blast in their cars at red lights.

I ask because I'm generally skeptical of anything that sounds like a "golden age," but in this case I really do feel like societal tastes are changing for the worse.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
It's not a new development, no, but classical music is, with a surety, succumbing to an eclipse rooted in ignorance and societal priorities steeped in mindless armchair entertainment.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

F
F
Originally Posted by stores
This has got to be one of the sillier thread topics I've yet seen here. The only thing depressing is that classical doesn't sell as well, nor is as popular, as the inane crap you hear while sitting at a red light from the idiot in the car next to you who feels everyone else should partake in his ignorance.

Yes. It makes me depressed if I am forced to hear noises from Rebecca Black or Justin Bieber instead of classical music.

Last edited by feebee_liszt; 03/31/11 06:01 PM.

The notes I handle no better than many pianists. But the pauses between the notes - ah, that is where the art resides! - Schnabel
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Once I posted about my mom dancing around the kitchen to the Pastoral symphony, 3rd mvmt. But a few days later, we had the first really warm, sunny day of spring. I was stuck inside working. I was convinced that everyone else in town was either at (or on their way to) a picnic or softball game, or dancing in a big circle in a sunlit meadow, except me. (Even though it was a workday...) And the background music to my discontentment was that same cheerful Beethoven movement! In that context, it was torment!! The next day was similarly beautiful but by that time, it was just typical spring weather. And yes, I did get out the door after work by 5:00 on the dot.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I've read/heard that the classical CD / huge orchestra market is worse off than it was in previous decades. However, we should keep in mind that commercial recordings didn't exist 100 years ago, and huge orchestras in every major city are also a big development of the 20th century. So compared to 50 years ago, the classical scene may be worse off today, but how is it compared to 150 or 200 years ago?

Anyway, that's quite off-topic. But often off-topic topics are fun.

Sam
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
This is just a thought. I don't know how true it is. But maybe the idea that "classical music is depressing" could come from the whole "melancholy artist" stereotype. You know the image of the person dressed all in black playing the piano by themselves in the dark. Idk...

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WinsomeAllegretto
This is just a thought. I don't know how true it is. But maybe the idea that "classical music is depressing" could come from the whole "melancholy artist" stereotype. You know the image of the person dressed all in black playing the piano by themselves in the dark. Idk...

Some people have indeed explicitly told me I should not listen to classical music because it is what makes me feel depressed. What? mad This shows how much people understand me of course... cry cry cry
I feel much more depressed when I get on the bus and am forced to turn off my iPod because the music on the bus (not classical of course frown ) is so loud...

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Nope, quite the opposite actually. It stops me from getting depressed smile

Ravel - Une Barque Sur l'Ocean
Kapustin - Etude No. 7
Bach/Busoni - Chaconne
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
How could it possibly make someone depressed. (Featuring another tune from our birthday boy.)

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict

Some people have indeed explicitly told me I should not listen to classical music because it is what makes me feel depressed. What? mad This shows how much people understand me of course... cry cry cry
I feel much more depressed when I get on the bus and am forced to turn off my iPod because the music on the bus (not classical of course frown ) is so loud...

I know exactly what you mean! If I go for too long without listening to piano music, I actually get kind of depressed. A lot of times my roommates will be listening to other music so I won't be able to. Then when I listen to my music I feel a whole lot better.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

I know exactly what you mean! If I go for too long without listening to piano music, I actually get kind of depressed. A lot of times my roommates will be listening to other music so I won't be able to. Then when I listen to my music I feel a whole lot better.

Can't you tell them to use headphones? Maybe they don't know you don't like the music they usually listen to...

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Yeah, this very moment (on Skype) my foster father referred to the classical music I like to listen to as "funeral music". bah cursing

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
That sounds rather hurtful frown

Ravel - Une Barque Sur l'Ocean
Kapustin - Etude No. 7
Bach/Busoni - Chaconne
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Ever think that classical music can actually help you feel less depressed? Because it's an outlet for your expression and something you can relate to. Plus what better way to treat your depression than practicing and being insanely busy? When you're in a practice room, life kind of stops for those hours and all that matters is the piece and your deadline - concert, competition, whatever. You don't have to think about things in your life that make you feel like [censored] every day.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
No, it helps me fight against depression.

I second this. Classical music is more often than not an outlet for my stress and negative feelings. It's hard to persist on negative trains of thoughts when music compels one to explore beauty.

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
The only thing that may seem depressing about classical music to me is that it is ignored and disdained by so many people. People who actually never cared to give ti a try.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
classical music certainly isn't depressing, although it can evoke sadness (not a bad thing at all, IMHO). however, in pondering this question, i do think that classical music deserves the title of "serious music", exemplified in the famous furrow in beethoven's brow, and quite a bit of associated rigidity, rules & regulations.

frankly i can't think of too many examples in classical music of truly joyous music -- mozart & scarlatti come to mind -- but i can think of other genres of music which exhibit joyousness on a regular basis (e.g. gospel, trad. irish music).

i'm not saying the "serious" moniker is a bad thing, but it does drive a certain perception outside of the cognoscenti.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Entheo
classical music certainly isn't depressing, although it can evoke sadness (not a bad thing at all, IMHO). however, in pondering this question, i do think that classical music deserves the title of "serious music", exemplified in the famous furrow in beethoven's brow, and quite a bit of associated rigidity, rules & regulations.

frankly i can't think of too many examples in classical music of truly joyous music -- mozart & scarlatti come to mind -- but i can think of other genres of music which exhibit joyousness on a regular basis (e.g. gospel, trad. irish music).

i'm not saying the "serious" moniker is a bad thing, but it does drive a certain perception outside of the cognoscenti.

I think you make a good point about the reputation of classical music for being heavy, but don't really agree that there's little in classical music that is joyous, or at least "happy". There's a great deal of Beethoven that is (the "Ode to Joy", obviously). And there is lots of sunny and cheerful music by Haydn, Bach, Dvorak, Liszt, Chabrier, and many others. And isn't the "serious" part of "serious music" really about artistic intent, rather than the actual mood (acknowledging that serious artistic intent itself may be depressing to people who aren't on that wavelength)?

But true, to someone not used to it, a lot of it must seem incredibly moody at the least, especially Romantic stuff that aims at generating extreme emotions in the listener.

K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Entheo

Well, to take just one example, "Jauchzet, frohlocket" from Bach's Christmas Oratorio (I guess not strictly Classical, but someone mentioned Bach earlier so I guess it's OK).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggm0SZCWKZo

Honestly, there's heaps more genuinely joyful, uplifting music in the Baroque/Classical repertoire.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission