Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1651558 - 03/31/11 10:01 AM Does classical music really make you depressed?
Gould Offline

Loc: Earth
Does classical music really make you depressed? I heard this among some people and was wondering if it really did make you depressed if you hear it 24/7...

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1651578 - 03/31/11 10:32 AM Re: Does classical music really make you depressed? [Re: Gould]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
24/7? Do these people not sleep? That's really something..

And why should it make you depressed? It only makes me depressed when I realize I suck, or when my LH sometimes refuses to play a simple scale in fast tempo (I'm still mad about that.. arghhhhhhhh)

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#1651584 - 03/31/11 10:37 AM Re: Does classical music really make you depressed? [Re: Gould]
Nikolas Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Heh... A nice one vesivian...

I doubt anyone can listen to music for 24/7, regardless of genre or other... But even if one could I'd doubt it would make one depressed. Classical music has so many different styles that is wonderful to listen 24/7! Perhaps a little bored after a few weeks, but depressed? No way!

#1651593 - 03/31/11 10:40 AM Re: Does classical music really make you depressed? [Re: Gould]
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: chicago, il
yeah, beethoven's 6th is such a buzzkill smirk

#1651605 - 03/31/11 11:00 AM Re: Does classical music really make you depressed? [Re: Gould]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
yawn

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1651611 - 03/31/11 11:04 AM Re: Does classical music really make you depressed? [Re: Gould]
izaldu Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc:

#1651619 - 03/31/11 11:14 AM Re: Does classical music really make you depressed? [Re: Gould]
fledgehog Offline

Loc: West Hartford, CT
maybe inherently sad pieces like Tchaik 6 or Mahler 9...but people who don't listen to classical regularly spew out all sorts of [censored] about it (it's boring, it's "for musicians only", its for old people) and it wouldn't surprise me to see "it's depressing" added to that list.

#1651633 - 03/31/11 11:33 AM Re: Does classical music really make you depressed? [Re: Gould]
erichlof Offline

Who would say such a thing?
You just need a little cheering up!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt-NZMiCQLg&feature=player_detailpage

When I'm feeling low, I just remember that you CAN get lower, or should I say lowered:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3wAarmPYKU&feature=player_detailpage

#1651652 - 03/31/11 12:00 PM Re: Does classical music really make you depressed? [Re: Gould]
bennevis Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

I recommend the symphonies of Allan Pettersson as a cure for depression grin.

#1651714 - 03/31/11 01:28 PM Re: Does classical music really make you depressed? [Re: erichlof]
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: chicago, il
Originally Posted By: erichlof
Who would say such a thing?
You just need a little cheering up!

when i need a bit of cheering up, here's a tune that perks me up:

#1651717 - 03/31/11 01:30 PM Re: Does classical music really make you depressed? [Re: Pogorelich.]
GeorgeB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Pogorelich.

And why should it make you depressed? It only makes me depressed when I realize I suck, or when my LH sometimes refuses to play a simple scale in fast tempo (I'm still mad about that.. arghhhhhhhh)

I can sympathise with you. Specially when i try to play funerailles and after hours and hours my left hand still stiffens up too much frown

#1651724 - 03/31/11 01:38 PM Re: Does classical music really make you depressed? [Re: Gould]
Akira Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
You might have worded your post more concisely. I'm sure you don't mean 24/7 (no sleep, will definitely lead you to go mad, no matter what kind of music you're listening to). So, I'll assume you mean a lot.

I don't think there has been any conclusive evidence one way or the other.

Although, in limited doses, classical music has the "potential" to 'lower' depression in 'some' people.

Edited by Akira (03/31/11 01:39 PM)

#1651791 - 03/31/11 03:03 PM Re: Does classical music really make you depressed? [Re: Gould]
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

I'm very skeptical about studies on the psychological effects of listening to "classical music." (including ones that say it makes you smarter, relaxed, etc)

Does listening to a fast, violent work have the same effect as listening to a soft, soothing work? Does large, contrapuntally complex orchestral music have the same effect as a beginner-level harpsichord solo? Does instrumental music have the same effect as vocal music (and does it matter if one understands the lyrics of the vocal music)? Does an atonal composition have the same effect as a romantic work or a baroque work?

Surely not - so how can one make any definitive study or generalization about the effects of listening to any "classical music"?

And that's not even getting into whether or not one ENJOYS the piece at hand. The same piece of music can have wildly different effects on different listeners, depending on whether the listener enjoys it or not. Furthermore, the same piece of music can even have wildly different effects on the SAME person depending on that person's mood at the time.

Edited by pianojerome (03/31/11 04:57 PM)

#1651796 - 03/31/11 03:09 PM Re: Does classical music really make you depressed? [Re: Gould]
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Vesivian
if you hear it 24/7...

That's a different question, which has nothing to do with music. I enjoy eating ice-cream. But if I had to constantly eat ice-cream for an entire week, I'd probably not enjoy it so much anymore.

#1651813 - 03/31/11 03:25 PM Re: Does classical music really make you depressed? [Re: fledgehog]
MarkH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: fledgehog
maybe inherently sad pieces like Tchaik 6 or Mahler 9...but people who don't listen to classical regularly spew out all sorts of [censored] about it (it's boring, it's "for musicians only", its for old people) and it wouldn't surprise me to see "it's depressing" added to that list.

I've heard the "depressing" argument from several young, classically ignorant people. I think it's a safe assumption that the person the OP heard it from was such a person. If your musical standard is beautiful, superficial teens & 20 somethings preening about the exciting, flashy tangibles of life, you may find that clashing, incomprehensible, lengthy classical music simply bores and irritates by its lack of the same. I think depressing is just teenage exaggeration for something lacking excitement value.

LOL, I just hit thirty, but that statement makes me sound way older. But I can take consolation from the fact that I wrote a research paper my senior year in high school that involved some of these topics, and I would have said the same thing then that I do now. I guess, probably like many of us, I have looked down on much of pop culture since I was old enough to be aware of it.

#1651821 - 03/31/11 03:37 PM Re: Does classical music really make you depressed? [Re: Gould]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
'Classically ignorant' has a nice ring to it.

Edited by apple* (03/31/11 03:38 PM)

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#1651857 - 03/31/11 04:22 PM Re: Does classical music really make you depressed? [Re: Gould]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
This has got to be one of the sillier thread topics I've yet seen here. The only thing depressing is that classical doesn't sell as well, nor is as popular, as the inane crap you hear while sitting at a red light from the idiot in the car next to you who feels everyone else should partake in his ignorance.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1651858 - 03/31/11 04:22 PM Re: Does classical music really make you depressed? [Re: Gould]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
No, it helps me fight against depression.

Music is my best friend.

#1651882 - 03/31/11 04:50 PM Re: Does classical music really make you depressed? [Re: Gould]
Damon Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
No.

#1651889 - 03/31/11 05:00 PM Re: Does classical music really make you depressed? [Re: stores]
aidans Offline

Originally Posted By: stores
This has got to be one of the sillier thread topics I've yet seen here. The only thing depressing is that classical doesn't sell as well, nor is as popular, as the inane crap you hear while sitting at a red light from the idiot in the car next to you who feels everyone else should partake in his ignorance.

Do you think this is a new development or has always been the case?

I generally agree with you in your assessment of modern popular music.

#1651892 - 03/31/11 05:04 PM Re: Does classical music really make you depressed? [Re: aidans]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: aidans

Do you think this is a new development or has always been the case?

I generally agree with you in your assessment of modern popular music.

Do I think what to be a new development?

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

#1651910 - 03/31/11 05:30 PM Re: Does classical music really make you depressed? [Re: Gould]
aidans Offline

That classical music doesn't sell as well, nor is as popular as the music people blast in their cars at red lights.

I ask because I'm generally skeptical of anything that sounds like a "golden age," but in this case I really do feel like societal tastes are changing for the worse.

#1651924 - 03/31/11 05:54 PM Re: Does classical music really make you depressed? [Re: Gould]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

It's not a new development, no, but classical music is, with a surety, succumbing to an eclipse rooted in ignorance and societal priorities steeped in mindless armchair entertainment.

♪ ≠ $

#1651931 - 03/31/11 06:00 PM Re: Does classical music really make you depressed? [Re: stores]
feebeeliszt Offline

Loc: London

Yes. It makes me depressed if I am forced to hear noises from Rebecca Black or Justin Bieber instead of classical music.

Edited by feebee_liszt (03/31/11 06:01 PM)

#1651940 - 03/31/11 06:14 PM Re: Does classical music really make you depressed? [Re: Gould]
cefinow Offline

Once I posted about my mom dancing around the kitchen to the Pastoral symphony, 3rd mvmt. But a few days later, we had the first really warm, sunny day of spring. I was stuck inside working. I was convinced that everyone else in town was either at (or on their way to) a picnic or softball game, or dancing in a big circle in a sunlit meadow, except me. (Even though it was a workday...) And the background music to my discontentment was that same cheerful Beethoven movement! In that context, it was torment!! The next day was similarly beautiful but by that time, it was just typical spring weather. And yes, I did get out the door after work by 5:00 on the dot.

#1651942 - 03/31/11 06:16 PM Re: Does classical music really make you depressed? [Re: Gould]
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

I've read/heard that the classical CD / huge orchestra market is worse off than it was in previous decades. However, we should keep in mind that commercial recordings didn't exist 100 years ago, and huge orchestras in every major city are also a big development of the 20th century. So compared to 50 years ago, the classical scene may be worse off today, but how is it compared to 150 or 200 years ago?

Anyway, that's quite off-topic. But often off-topic topics are fun.

#1651986 - 03/31/11 07:35 PM Re: Does classical music really make you depressed? [Re: Gould]
WinsomeAllegretto Offline
500 Post Club Member

This is just a thought. I don't know how true it is. But maybe the idea that "classical music is depressing" could come from the whole "melancholy artist" stereotype. You know the image of the person dressed all in black playing the piano by themselves in the dark. Idk...

#1651993 - 03/31/11 08:01 PM Re: Does classical music really make you depressed? [Re: WinsomeAllegretto]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Originally Posted By: WinsomeAllegretto
This is just a thought. I don't know how true it is. But maybe the idea that "classical music is depressing" could come from the whole "melancholy artist" stereotype. You know the image of the person dressed all in black playing the piano by themselves in the dark. Idk...

Some people have indeed explicitly told me I should not listen to classical music because it is what makes me feel depressed. What? mad This shows how much people understand me of course... cry cry cry
I feel much more depressed when I get on the bus and am forced to turn off my iPod because the music on the bus (not classical of course frown ) is so loud...

Music is my best friend.

#1651998 - 03/31/11 08:07 PM Re: Does classical music really make you depressed? [Re: Gould]
Drunk3nFist Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: London
Nope, quite the opposite actually. It stops me from getting depressed smile

Prokofiev - Sonata No. 3
Kapustin - Variations Op. 41
Chopin - Ballade No. 4

#1652007 - 03/31/11 08:21 PM Re: Does classical music really make you depressed? [Re: Gould]
DameMyra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Jersey
How could it possibly make someone depressed. (Featuring another tune from our birthday boy.)

Managing Director, Northern Lights Music Festival

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
72 registered (Beemer, beeboss, 36251, Al LaPorte, Atrys, Asmodeus, 17 invisible), 1181 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74198 Members
42 Forums
153494 Topics
2249227 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Temperature and tuning
by Beemer
Today at 04:46 AM
Tired Fingers
by adanepst
Today at 01:45 AM
Bechstein 7
by PhilipInChina
Today at 01:07 AM
Premier Piano of New York
by FenderJazzMan
Yesterday at 11:58 PM
Top selling self-taught pianists?
by Sand Tiger
Yesterday at 11:06 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission