Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1653226 - 04/02/11 04:20 PM Re: Great pieces by lesser known composers? [Re: Drunk3nFist]
TheHappyMoron Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Does Albeniz count as a lesser known composer? I'm not too sure, but he wrote some great music.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1653331 - 04/02/11 09:11 PM Re: Great pieces by lesser known composers? [Re: Drunk3nFist]
Bachsky Offline

Loc: McFarland, WI 53558
I just read all posts and I don't think I read any reference to JOSEPH SUK (late 1800's early 19oo's)- son-in-law of Anton Dvorak. He is one of my favorites. Simrock has published his piano lliterature in three in three volumes. Radislav Kvapil is an enthusiastic performer of Suk's works. They are very romantic and have that distinctive Eastern European Bohemian sound.

I think I have read that there is a contemporary Joseph Suk (grandson of the above who is, I believe, a violinist currently performing in the classical music world. Perhaps another reader can verify this.

Bachsky
1904 Henry F. Miller Concert Grand * 2002 Estonia 190 Satin Bubinga * 2008 Schulze-Pohlman vertical 125 polished cherrywood peacock design * 2008 Schoenhut minature grand (49 keys) * 2008 Roland Digital Harpsichord, 2010 Roland FP-4 (88 key slab).

#1653332 - 04/02/11 09:13 PM Re: Great pieces by lesser known composers? [Re: PaulaPiano34]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
Originally Posted By: chobeethaninov
I love Czerny's Variations on a Theme by Rhode (La Ricordanza)

+1

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1653342 - 04/02/11 09:44 PM Re: Great pieces by lesser known composers? [Re: Bachsky]
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Bachsky
I just read all posts and I don't think I read any reference to JOSEPH SUK (late 1800's early 19oo's)- son-in-law of Anton Dvorak. He is one of my favorites. Simrock has published his piano lliterature in three in three volumes. Radislav Kvapil is an enthusiastic performer of Suk's works. They are very romantic and have that distinctive Eastern European Bohemian sound.

I think I have read that there is a contemporary Joseph Suk (grandson of the above who is, I believe, a violinist currently performing in the classical music world. Perhaps another reader can verify this.

Bachsky

Here's a topic I recently started about Joseph Suk:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthrea...tml#Post1645915

#1653372 - 04/02/11 10:29 PM Re: Great pieces by lesser known composers? [Re: Drunk3nFist]
Lisa C Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Waltz #2 by Auguste Durand -- not as well-known perhaps as his Waltz #1 -- is my "go to" piece when I need cheering up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_zxYTtVHgk

Sunflowers (Wang)
Schubert Sonata in A Major (Op 120)
Chopin Piano Concerto in F minor, Larghetto

#1653482 - 04/03/11 02:35 AM Re: Great pieces by lesser known composers? [Re: Drunk3nFist]
Jame334 Offline

Paul de Senneville has some nice pieces, they are easy-medium in difficulty but sound nice.

#1653539 - 04/03/11 06:49 AM Re: Great pieces by lesser known composers? [Re: Drunk3nFist]
FreddyChopin Offline

Loc: The Hague - Netherlands
"Respighi - Notturno" is a beautiful intermediate piece!

#1653550 - 04/03/11 07:30 AM Re: Great pieces by lesser known composers? [Re: Drunk3nFist]
Samuel1993 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Pretty much all of Henselt's works are very underrated. The Larghetto of his Piano Concerto in F minor is just so haunting and beautiful:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVmtJDoWE-8

I'd reccomend Henselt's work to any Chopin/Liszt obsessed people like myself. I have a collection of his works and play through quite regularly. His Op.2 Etude's are also very wonderful, I think somebody posted the Eb major Etude which is just stunning!
Liszt - Romance in E minor "O pourquoi donc" S.196

#1653573 - 04/03/11 08:19 AM Re: Great pieces by lesser known composers? [Re: Drunk3nFist]
mrenaud Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
How about Busoni? His Bach transcriptions (and the Piano Concerto) are quite popular, but he also wrote some very interesting original works, notably the Elegies and the Sonatinas.

Here's an example, the Berceuse:

#1653575 - 04/03/11 08:34 AM Re: Great pieces by lesser known composers? [Re: Drunk3nFist]
tomasino Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Drunk3nFist says he's looking for Romantic pieces.

How about "Prelude, Chorale and Fugue," Cesar Franck.

I'd also second someone's suggestion, DameMyra, I think, of Sonata 1905, and "In the Mist" by Leos Janacek.

Tomasino
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do so with all thy might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

#1654146 - 04/04/11 08:19 AM Re: Great pieces by lesser known composers? [Re: Drunk3nFist]
dannylux Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Connecticut
Here is the 4th Movement of Sigismond Thalberg's Grande Sonate Op.56 in c minor played by Adrian Ruiz:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50RmaEinIJA&feature=channel_video_title

Score

The 4th movement starts on p.32.

What a wonderful Sonata, brilliantly played with passion and fury by Ruiz!

First Movement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39yeZSKaBBA&feature=BF&list=PLFE5107B02B952FCB&index=28

Second Movement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOinLEW3VMw&playnext=1&list=PLFE5107B02B952FCB

Third Movement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYwULbxGxcs&feature=BF&list=PLFE5107B02B952FCB&index=30

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get — only what you are expecting to give — which is everything. What you will receive in return varies. But it really has no connection with what you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn

#1654164 - 04/04/11 09:05 AM Re: Great pieces by lesser known composers? [Re: dannylux]
thalbergmad Offline

Loc: England
I am a big Thalberg fan myself, but most of my enjoyment comes from the transcriptions as opposed to the original works.

As far as sonatas go, the Paderewski and Balakirev have always struck me as something special and my recent encounters with sonatas by Pinto, Potter, Nicolai & Dussek have also yielded some pleasing results, even under my fingers.

The list of lesser known composers is far greater than that of well known composers, so who knows what will be found in the future.

Thal

#1654181 - 04/04/11 09:39 AM Re: Great pieces by lesser known composers? [Re: Drunk3nFist]
Stanza Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chapel Hill, NC
My local Borders Books is closing frown but I picked up a book of Clementi Sonatas for $7.50! Played through a little this weekend...nice music, pretty accessible. Of course, Clementi is not obscure, but may be overlooked somewhat. I think I read somewhere that he was a favorite of Beethoven, and Horowitz like to play him as well.

Edited by Stanza (04/04/11 09:40 AM)
Estonia L190 #7004
Casio PX 310
Yamaha NP 30

#1654296 - 04/04/11 12:55 PM Re: Great pieces by lesser known composers? [Re: Drunk3nFist]
Cheeto717 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
SERGEI BORTKIEWICZ and MANUEL PONCE

you won't be disappointed
Brahms: Op. 120
Chopin: Op. 10

#1654322 - 04/04/11 01:30 PM Re: Great pieces by lesser known composers? [Re: thalbergmad]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Originally Posted By: thalbergmad

As far as sonatas go, the Paderewski and Balakirev have always struck me as something special...

Interesting that you mention the Balakirev. The April Gramophone gave a very favourable review to Danny Driver's new recording of Balakirev piano works on Hyperion. Have you heard it by any chance? (I've only heard Earl Wild's recording of the sonata, and that was some time ago.)

It's worth quoting a bit from Jeremy Nicholas' review (I think him a very reliable critic):

With the exception of Mussorgsky's 'Pictures', [the Balakirev sonata] is the only large-scale solo piano work produced by 'The Mighty Handful' and possibly the only piano sonata that opens with a strict fugue (which then alternates with a free rhapsody).

#1654402 - 04/04/11 03:39 PM Re: Great pieces by lesser known composers? [Re: argerichfan]
thalbergmad Offline

I think it must be the Wild recording I have old chap, but now that you mention a new one, I guess I had better give the old credit card a bashing.

Thal

#1655425 - 04/05/11 10:59 PM Re: Great pieces by lesser known composers? [Re: Drunk3nFist]
Samuel Laferriere Offline

I'm not sure up to what extent he's still considered lesser known, especially since a movie has been made on his life, but Andre Mathieu's music is incredible.

#1656218 - 04/07/11 10:05 AM Re: Great pieces by lesser known composers? [Re: Drunk3nFist]
Tim Adrianson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

You might want to review some of Alexandr Glazunov's piano music -- specifically, his Theme and Variations, two Intermezzi, and Idyllia. All of these are beautifully written for the piano, and are late-romantic in character. Also, some of Nikolai Medtner's Skazki are possible. Finally, some of the early Alexandr Scriabin efforts are late-romantic and not really played that often.

#1656684 - 04/08/11 03:23 AM Re: Great pieces by lesser known composers? [Re: Tim Adrianson]
octurn Offline

Loc: Belgium
Some Moszkowski études de virtuosité (Op. 72) are real gems! In particular no. 2 (bit revolutionary like), 6, 11 & 13.
Horowitz made his étincelles famous, see here why:

Medtner's Fairy Tales can not be seconded enough. They are often more challenging than first appears musically and technically, but the reward when mastering them is invaluable.

Szymanowski's preludes are also highly romantic, and some of them of intermediate difficulty. Check them out!

Edited by octurn (04/08/11 03:23 AM)

My (almost blank) youtube channel

#1656701 - 04/08/11 05:11 AM Re: Great pieces by lesser known composers? [Re: Drunk3nFist]
dannylux Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Connecticut
N. Vaneyev wrote the most stupendous transcription of Fritz Kreisler's "Praeludium and Allegro in the Style of Pugnani".

Here's Cyprien Katsaris's equally stupendous performance, from his "Piano Rarities Vol.1 - Transcriptions" CD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IPvbwT0UUk

http://www.cyprienkatsaris.net/en/piano-21/new-releases/147-piano-rarities-vol-1-transcriptions.html

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get — only what you are expecting to give — which is everything. What you will receive in return varies. But it really has no connection with what you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn

#1656991 - 04/08/11 07:12 PM Re: Great pieces by lesser known composers? [Re: Drunk3nFist]
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
if all, well, most of the above mentioned composers are to be categorized as less known, I think all, well, most of the contibuants have a knowlegde-problem, jeez, astonishing, this.

Couperin pices, Ravel tombeau de C

#1657024 - 04/08/11 09:10 PM Re: Great pieces by lesser known composers? [Re: dolce sfogato]
Tim Adrianson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

No, I think that most of the composers referenced ARE, in fact, regarded as "minor", or "lesser known" -- though, that, of course, is an absolute crime, when you consider all the truly wonderful contributions that these people have made to the piano literature -- which is truly endless in its treasures!

A couple of questions: what does "sfogato" mean, or imply? I noticed that specific directive in the Chopin Barcarolle -- did you derive your "handle" from that"

If these composers are NOT lesser-known, whom do you regard as more truly unknown, that have provided "great" pieces (i.e., pieces that are compelling, but nobody's heard at all)?

#1657099 - 04/09/11 12:33 AM Re: Great pieces by lesser known composers? [Re: Tim Adrianson]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: Tim Adrianson
[...]
A couple of questions: what does "sfogato" mean, or imply? [...]

sfogato (Italian, literally 'exhaled') light and easy style, particularly of singing or singers

#1657158 - 04/09/11 07:00 AM Re: Great pieces by lesser known composers? [Re: Drunk3nFist]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Another vote for Lyapunov. It is a pity his works do not get played at concerts nowadays. Pieces I have listened to recently: his Transcendental Etudes (Terek, The Storm, etc..), Variations on a Russian Theme and a beautiful Piano Sonata.

Same with Alexander Glazunov

Glazunov also wrote beautiful Etudes, as did Felix Blumenfeld, here played by the amazing Simon Barere

#1657168 - 04/09/11 09:14 AM Re: Great pieces by lesser known composers? [Re: Andromaque]
Tim Adrianson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

A second (or a third) to Lyapounov -- I have his "Svyatki", a set of four pieces with a Christmas theme, and they are absolutely delightful.

#1657398 - 04/09/11 07:39 PM Re: Great pieces by lesser known composers? [Re: dolce sfogato]
thalbergmad Offline

Originally Posted By: dolce sfogato
if all, well, most of the above mentioned composers are to be categorized as less known, I think all, well, most of the contibuants have a knowlegde-problem, jeez, astonishing, this.

You have the balls to say what I was thinking.

Thal

#1657399 - 04/09/11 07:41 PM Re: Great pieces by lesser known composers? [Re: thalbergmad]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Originally Posted By: thalbergmad

You have the balls to say what I was thinking.

Thal

+1

#1657458 - 04/09/11 09:58 PM Re: Great pieces by lesser known composers? [Re: dolce sfogato]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Lesser known just means what it says - it doesn't mean "unknown". Obviously, they aren't lesser known to the people who do know them and posted about them in this thread.

#1657459 - 04/09/11 09:59 PM Re: Great pieces by lesser known composers? [Re: Drunk3nFist]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
I think the implication is "less often performed", though some of you folks are more knowledgeable than others. But it is undeniable that many of the composers listed in this thread are rarely played in public.

#1657473 - 04/09/11 10:49 PM Re: Great pieces by lesser known composers? [Re: Drunk3nFist]
Ridicolosamente Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Miami, Florida, USA
I think the "knowledge problem" discussion is condescending. I 100% agree that it is unfortunate that some of these composers are "unknown", "lesser known", or "never performed", but you're implying it's the fault of the listener... Argerich, Perahia, Kissin et al. are a huge part of the problem. YT and Naxos aside, how can one just magically become aware of such composers? Thanks to the OP for being interested enough to ask the question. I am certain many (including myself) have been very appreciative and enlightened by the suggestions.

Step down from your pedestals.

-Daniel

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
91 registered (a-z0-9, AndrewJCW, ando, aDino, aesop, 28 invisible), 1296 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75581 Members
42 Forums
156275 Topics
2295042 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Impromptu in A
by Ritzycat
07/30/14 12:42 AM
what do you think piano teachers about it?
by Maximillyan
07/30/14 12:15 AM
picking a fight: how many movements in op.110?
by beet31425
07/29/14 11:36 PM
Old Wurlitzer (circa 1940s) baby grand, Worth Picking Up?
by Paul678
07/29/14 10:38 PM
Swamp Cooler and Air Conditioner- Use only One of them!
by Paul678
07/29/14 10:33 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission