2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 8 invisible), 1,592 guests, and 247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 75 1 2 3 74 75
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
This is the third thread in the Alfred Adult Book series. If you have made it to book #3, congrats! Thats a major accomplishment.

Here are the first two:

Alfred Adult Book One
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/32/3619.html

Alfred Adult Book Two
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/32/4340.html

The Alfred Adult Users Supplement Pieces Thread http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/32/5042.html

Alfred Graduate List

Calypso Rhumba
A You Tube video of this Alfred Book 3 piece.

You Tube Alfred Pieces

Fandango
A You Tube video of this Alfred Book 3 piece.
Fandango
Fandango performed by JohnFrank

Modern Sounds

Serenade from String Quartet Op. 3 No. 5 Performed by Undone

Classy Rag a You-Tube video

Prelude in D minor
Prelude in D minor You Tube video performed Mark...

Swan Lake Performed by Undone

Scheherazade Performed by Undone

Unfinished Symphony Performed by Undone

Steal Away Performed by Undone

Come Back to Sorrento Performed by Undone

American Hymn Performed by JohnFrank

Shenandoah

The Ambitious Section of Alfred 3

Prelude in A Major

Prelude in A Major You Tube video performed Mark...

Moonlight Sonata Performed by Undone

Last edited by Mark...; 08/28/10 12:55 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Uh, Mark- I haven't actually FINISHED book 2 yet..... LOL

-Mak

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by IrishMak:
Uh, Mark- I haven't actually FINISHED book 2 yet..... LOL
We are waiting patiently... laugh

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hey, Mark- I ordered Book 3! laugh

-Mak

Kawai MP-4 digital

When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Hey, Mark- I ordered Book 3! laugh
Excellent...I have it too, but it's going to be awhile till I get to it...

I wonder if there are any other book 3 people here?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Mark, i am in book 3:) i love the pieces in here. they are so much more fun than 1 and 2, and they sound like music. i really like the ambitious secton which includes some truly incredible music. i love this book!!!

If it ain't fun I ain't doin' it:)
I've been doing the series and am in book 3. I recently started working from each end, and I agree with funburger the ambitious section is especially good ... in fact because the harder section is so interesting, I'm thinking about dropping the book in favour doing only this kind of music.

Estonia 168 - slow down, relax, & listen
L
L
I'm in book 3 as well. The first thing I noticed was that the theory pages are much more complex - I guess they figure if you're still with them this far along, you must be in it for the long haul and they throw it all at you...

I have to admit that the fact I had to special-order the book and that no store routinely stocked it was a bit flattering to the ego - they all had book one, some had book two, but none had enough call to stock book three. smokin

I like the ambitious section as well - there's a wide range of levels in the pieces. Some seem to come easy, others... cursing

Also, the book set-up feels different to me than the first two, less rigid maybe. Because you're on your own after this one and I get the feeling I'm being 'weaned'. My teacher has already asked what kind and style of music books (plural, she said books!) can she pick up for me next time she's at the music store - which is very encouraging. I must have made at least some progress! I don't just finish another book with the reward being to go buy the next level up, yay! Liz

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by funburger:
Mark, i am in book 3:) i love the pieces in here. they are so much more fun than 1 and 2, and they sound like music. i really like the ambitious secton which includes some truly incredible music. i love this book!!!
Thats great to hear. And its nice to know people are moving into book 3. Everyone who's in book 3 should be proud of their accomplishment. I know its a lot of work...

Keep us posted on your progress. And if anyone want to post their recording its a great resource for others...

Thanks

Mark

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by Lizzy1234:
I'm in book 3 as well. The first thing I noticed was that the theory pages are much more complex - I guess they figure if you're still with them this far along, you must be in it for the long haul and they throw it all at you...

I have to admit that the fact I had to special-order the book and that no store routinely stocked it was a bit flattering to the ego - they all had book one, some had book two, but none had enough call to stock book three. smokin

I like the ambitious section as well - there's a wide range of levels in the pieces. Some seem to come easy, others... cursing

Also, the book set-up feels different to me than the first two, less rigid maybe. Because you're on your own after this one and I get the feeling I'm being 'weaned'. My teacher has already asked what kind and style of music books (plural, she said books!) can she pick up for me next time she's at the music store - which is very encouraging. I must have made at least some progress! I don't just finish another book with the reward being to go buy the next level up, yay! Liz
You should feel proud. I know I feel pretty good finishing book one. And finishing each book means your that much better...

E
EG2 Offline
E
HI everyone...I'm somewhat new to the forum and have basically been lurking for a while.

I'm about halfway through Alfred 2 and would like to go ahead and order Alfred 3 so I have it when I'm ready. I'm having trouble locating the book to purchase via the web. Can someone provide me with a web source?

In addition to Alfred 2 I still play Entertainer and Amazing Grace from Alfred 1 and am also working on Satisfied Mind, Mona Lisa, Fur Elise, etc. etc.

Thanks.

Without music life would be a mistake~Friedrich Nietzsche
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by EG2:
HI everyone...I'm somewhat new to the forum and have basically been lurking for a while.

I'm about halfway through Alfred 2 and would like to go ahead and order Alfred 3 so I have it when I'm ready. I'm having trouble locating the book to purchase via the web. Can someone provide me with a web source?

In addition to Alfred 2 I still play Entertainer and Amazing Grace from Alfred 1 and am also working on Satisfied Mind, Mona Lisa, Fur Elise, etc. etc.

Thanks.
http://www.amazon.com/Alfreds-Basic...mp;s=books&qid=1182110431&sr=8-7

This is where I bought mind...

Entertainer and Amazing Grace are keepers, that I plan on playing often...

Mark

E
EG2 Offline
E
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the info. Guess I should have been clearer on the Alfred series I was looking for...apparently there are two different series.

I'm very new to piano (couple years in middle school....many years ago) and now on month 7 with a teacher.

I've been working my way through Alfred Adult All-in-One Course (has theory incorporated).
I did find what I was looking for...
http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/pages...4540.html&t=&k=&r=wwws-e rr5

Wonder if these are the same???

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by EG2:
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the info. Guess I should have been clearer on the Alfred series I was looking for...apparently there are two different series.

I've been working my way through Alfred Adult All-in-One Course (has theory incorporated).
I did find what I was looking for...

Wonder if these are the same???
I believe they are different, but close. Some songs are the same.

E
EG2 Offline
E
I believe they are different, but close. Some songs are the same.
Hmmm, interesting...may have to pick up the other Alfred 3 a little later.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Well, it looks like I may be heading into Book 3 on my own for a bit. The place where my teacher rents her studio space is closing at the end of July. She asked at the school where she teaches, and they said sure, she could use the school, but only for those who live in that town. So that would take care of 2 of her 20 students and I am not one of them. She is still looking for a place, of course, and we do have a few weeks left, but I may be going it solo for a bit. Glad I did decided to go ahead and order Book 3- I need some sort of organized approach or I won't get anywhere. If this does happen, I may be asking those of you already in Book 3 for LOTS of help!

-Mak

Kawai MP-4 digital

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
IrishMak, i am in book 3 and will offer help to you any way i can:) i dont know how much help i can offer though...

If it ain't fun I ain't doin' it:)
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Well, it looks like I may be heading into Book 3 on my own for a bit. The place where my teacher rents her studio space is closing at the end of July. She asked at the school where she teaches, and they said sure, she could use the school, but only for those who live in that town. So that would take care of 2 of her 20 students and I am not one of them. She is still looking for a place, of course, and we do have a few weeks left, but I may be going it solo for a bit. Glad I did decided to go ahead and order Book 3- I need some sort of organized approach or I won't get anywhere. If this does happen, I may be asking those of you already in Book 3 for LOTS of help!
We have a few teachers from the teachers forum who are here to help and they keep an eye on these Alfred threads. So we have you covered just in case...

Hope things work out regarding your teacher...

Mark

I am 44 years old and have Just started playing music five years ago.

I am currently finishing this book. Its an ok book,It lends itself to those who, like me, are partially self taught. I feel this book progresses well, slow, with small steps in difficulty, Has plenty of songs, to reach this the final level of course difficulty. The pieces are enjoyable, and short enough. However, I personal attribute most of my skill to playing though Hanon in 60 ex. It was grueling. I guess the importance point I should make is that if you are like me, You will need a good technical regiment, and if you desire to play other styles of music ie, blues, hymns, lead sheet pop, jazz, whatever, you will need to train in that genre in addition to the Alfred Adult Course. The Alfred adult course mainly teaches you traditional piano playing via site reading.

David
Hello fellow Book 3 members.

I'm currently on page 26 "The Unfinished Symphony". I have been at it for weeks and still need to add the tremolos, pedal and get some bumps out of it.

Unfortunately, I do not get into this forum often enough but wanted to chime in on this thread in case anyone else is on page 26.

K&J

Page 1 of 75 1 2 3 74 75

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission